Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

whaley posted:

It's cool they're talking about keeping support for at least three more years, but I can still play my NES games on my original NES and I got that thing 25 years ago. I'll never adopt completely digital until I can get that great of mileage out of one of these new machines.

You think modern optical media is going to last you 25+ years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

splifyphus posted:

I have CDs from the early 90s that still work... one would assume that modern optical media would be at least as reliable.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I have laserdiscs that still work.

LASERDISCS!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

splifyphus posted:

Yes? I see no reason why not, it's just a plastic disc read by a laser. There's no physical wear on it, why would it wear out in 25 years?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Wandle Cax posted:

Yes? I see no reason why not, it's just a plastic disc read by a laser. There's no physical wear on it, why would it wear out in 25 years?

Because there are cavemen who leave their discs out as coasters and frisbees and the discs have little water stain rings on them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Some CDs/DVDs/Blu-Rays get pressed incorrectly and end up having the data layer deteriorate over time. Other times this can happen due to damage to the disc, and of course there's always simply unrepairable scratches.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Install Windows posted:

Some CDs/DVDs/Blu-Rays get pressed incorrectly and end up having the data layer deteriorate over time. Other times this can happen due to damage to the disc, and of course there's always simply unrepairable scratches.

And that's a fairly rare occurrence. You need conditions to be just right for that to happen, humidity plays a big part in that and temperature. The Disc separating and degrading the data won't happen under normal use.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WendigoJohnson posted:

And that's a fairly rare occurrence. You need conditions to be just right for that to happen, humidity plays a big part in that and temperature. The Disc separating and degrading the data won't happen under normal use.

Or you just need someone to be careless with their disc one time in 2 decades.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Install Windows posted:

The same could be said about records and you don't see audiophiles giving up their vinyl.

This is is becoming kind of a boring tangent but the fact of the matter is that there's a value in physicality and permanence; I can control how I treat my physical items, but I have less control over things like mechanical failure and whether or not authentication servers stay up for decades.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Install Windows posted:

Blu-rays in particular are very hard to scratch so it would be more like a catastrophic accident than being careless. If you take care of your discs like a sensible person they will be fine.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well after doing a focus group earlier today from either Microsoft or Sony, I guess I can technically say without breaking my NDA that they did not ask a single thing about the WIi U. They don't even view it as competition, they just care about what the other guy is doing and how to win you over from them. And that 90% of the people in the group I was in simply didn't give a gently caress about most of the things we argue about in this thread.

thefncrow posted:

Considering that they halted all releases of original Xbox games basically the minute the 360 was out but it took them 4 1/2 years to turn off original Xbox's Xbox Live, yeah, it does seem unreasonable to think they're going to kill Xbox Live after 3 years when they just committed to 3 years of active support after the Xbone launch.

That's untrue... we got regular XBox releases as far as November 2006, including Call of Duty and Splinter Cell type stuff. Then 2007 and 2008 were pretty much non existent with the exception of EA's Madden and NCAA titles. But technically it got 3 years of support after the 360's release.

So how long do you expect the 360 and PS3 stores to be able to support us redownloading all our content then? 5 years? 10 years? The time will eventually come.

Neurolimal posted:

In 20 years the PS3 will be so thoroughly hacked and split open that one could easily redownload all their games through another source, without any pangs on their conscience (because they already spent 10-20 dollars on each of those games for this specific console).

Come on, you can't justify shutting down the online stores by saying the console will be easily hacked. I don't know the first thing about hacking my PS3. I can't even figure out how to properly play N64 roms if I wanted to, and I would like to say I'm pretty tech savvy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Astro7x posted:

Come on, you can't justify shutting down the online stores by saying the console will be easily hacked. I don't know the first thing about hacking my PS3. I can't even figure out how to properly play N64 roms if I wanted to, and I would like to say I'm pretty tech savvy.

Without going into any specific details, it's literally a matter of downloading an N64 emulator, and an N64 ROM, and then navigating to the rom in the emulator. For playing on an actual N64, it varies by the flashcart, but for a number of them you simply put the ROM on the cart, then navigate to it on the built-in menu when you boot it up. Pre-PS2/Gamecube/Xbox emulation/homebrew has become hilariously simple to do, and we haven't even reached that fabled 20 year mark for most of them!

Granted, if you're talking about Jane Everyman you might have a point, but odds are good within 10 years Jane will have stopped caring about these old games, and if she did, she could always google on her phone or laptop or computer, and find plenty of easy tutorials on how to do all of this.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 6, 2013

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I will say that companies have a vested interest in getting their customers to hop onboard with digital distribution, and they realize that shutting down their servers and wiping out people's access to games that they paid for would greatly hurt those efforts. You can :tinfoil: all you want but it is extremely unlikely that your digital copies of Xbox 360 games will vanish into the ether until we are long past the point where you can download them from Supertorrent in minutes and play them on your Spacephone.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 6, 2013

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
"Death of Nintendo has been greatly under-exaggerated"

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/04/nintendont/

Nintendo really needs to act, now, this "stay the course lads" attitude they have is really worrisome.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

El Hefe posted:

Nintendo really needs to act, now, this "stay the course lads" attitude they have is really worrisome.

I'm prepared, I have every single good first part Nintendo game in my collection in some shape or form. They get blow'd up I shall have my immortal towers of games.

Future generations shall see firsthand the glories of Blockfort.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

El Hefe posted:

That is yet another "they should sell to Apple... um, because" article. He makes valid points but the thrust of it really seems to be "I like Apple! I like Nintendo! I wish they were together!"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

That is yet another "they should sell to Apple... um, because" article. He makes valid points but the thrust of it really seems to be "I like Apple! I like Nintendo! I wish they were together!"

Just release a Nintendo system that smells like Apples.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WendigoJohnson posted:

Just release a Nintendo system that smells like Apples.
If Earthbound taught me anything, it's that something that's supposed to smell like an Apple usually really, really doesn't.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The White Dragon posted:

If Earthbound taught me anything, it's that something that's supposed to smell like an Apple usually really, really doesn't.

That's because you're colorblind and deaf and picked up an Apple-pear instead.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

splifyphus posted:

I feel like I can rely on a game on a disc better than a Playstation 3 or Xbox 420 hard drive. Maybe I is wrong? I haven't heard about anyone's physical games going bad by themselves but I don't have any 25 year old discs either hEhaW

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

El Hefe posted:

Heard the same thing with the Gamecube when it first came out.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cowman posted:

Heard the same thing with the Gamecube when it first came out.

They were right though, the system was incredibly lack luster and paled in comparison with what the PS2 had to offer.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

whaley posted:

I feel like I can rely on a game on a disc better than a Playstation 3 or Xbox 420 hard drive. Maybe I is wrong? I haven't heard about anyone's physical games going bad by themselves but I don't have any 25 year old discs either hEhaW

You can't really. But you don't have to rely on either, because both can be copied, certainly by a few decades from now.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

WendigoJohnson posted:

They were right though, the system was incredibly lack luster and paled in comparison with what the PS2 had to offer.

It didn't kill Nintendo though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cowman posted:

It didn't kill Nintendo though.

It did as far as delivering a worthwhile console with a competitive library.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

El Hefe posted:

This is a really, really important point about businesses that people seem to be underestimating:

quote:

“But! But! Cash hoard!” Oh. Right. You know who else has a cash hoard? BlackBerry. It’s doing them a lot of good right now. It will help with their sale price, that’s about it.
Nintendo has a ton of money and they are still profitable but if the Wii U doesn't improve and 3DS sales begin to lag, there will be huge shakeups in their business strategy way faster than most people seem to think--even if they are still sitting on a huge wad of cash. Granted, the 3DS is still doing fine, but it could definitely lose its momentum in the next few years.

waffle fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 6, 2013

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WendigoJohnson posted:

It's not a zero-sum game.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

WendigoJohnson posted:

It did as far as delivering a worthwhile console with a competitive library.

Nintendo is still making consoles and isn't bankrupt. Once Mario/Zelda/Smash Bros comes out the system will sell like crazy. That's why people buy Nintendo consoles.

VVV New Super Mario Bros U isn't the Mario game I'm talking about. Something like Galaxy. VVV

Cowman fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 6, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not a zero-sum game.

There's really only a handful of decent exclusives games on the system. Thousand year door is probably the best of the bunch.

Symphonia is being released in HD on the PS3 so it's no longer just tied to the gamecube in America.

Cowman posted:

Nintendo is still making consoles and isn't bankrupt. Once Mario/Zelda/Smash Bros comes out the system will sell like crazy. That's why people buy Nintendo consoles.

Mario already came out on the Wii-U.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That's the latest in a long line of articles using incredibly vague handwaving about to justify the writer's pet policy. For some, it's third party development, for this guy it's selling to Apple. But there's very little concrete substance to the article, and no clear process taking the reader from the premise to the conclusion.

I mean, he's talking about Nintendo revamping their strategy for the portable market, which is currently the stronger leg of their business by far. The thrust of the piece doesn't seem to add up at all.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 6, 2013

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

There's really only a handful of decent exclusives games on the system. Thousand year door is probably the best of the bunch.
The fact it didn't have many games you like and wasn't the top selling console doesn't mean that it was an utter failure. It had 80-90% of the worldwide sales of the XBox, had a competitive attach rate and made a profit for Nintendo.

quote:

Symphonia is being released in HD on the PS3 so it's no longer just tied to the gamecube in America.
Judging a console based on stuff that's released years after it's out of production is pretty ridiculous.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 6, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The fact it didn't have many games you like and wasn't the top selling console doesn't mean that it was an utter failure. It had 80-90% of the worldwide sales of the XBox, had a competitive attach rate and made a profit for Nintendo.

Judging a console based on stuff that's released years after it's out of production is pretty ridiculous.

I never said it was a failure, I said the system was lackluster. It's worldwide sales was less than the Nintendo 64 and even the game sales sold less than the N64 games. It was a step down to what came previously. The Wii rose above to what the Gamecube did but then the Wii-U brought it down again.

It's this inconsistent flow that really hurts everything, especially on the software side where there is months between interesting solid releases.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 6, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Apple doesn't care about video games and they have absolutely no plans to ever make a gaming console.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

I never said it was a failure, I said the system was lackluster. It's worldwide sales was less than the Nintendo 64 and even the game sales sold less than the N64 games. It was a step down to what came previously. The Wii rose above to what the Gamecube did but then the Wii-U brought it down again.
You also said that with respect to the Gamecube, people were right to say that the "Death of Nintendo has been greatly under-exaggerated", and that it killed Nintendo. Doing worse than the N64 doesn't automatically make it a failure.

quote:

It's this inconsistent flow that really hurts everything, especially on the software side where there is months between interesting solid releases.
No disagreements.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's unarguably a problem with Nintendo's sales strategy and they will eventually have to change. The problem with a lot of the armchair theorizing is that it really does appear to based more around "this is what I really want" instead of "this is what is likely, profitable or reasonable to assume."

Even if we took the idea that Nintendo was going to go third party seriously, there are a billion other factors to consider about who they would go third party for and why. Apple would probably be a choice but they're not really the obvious or best choice for the company OR for gamers except insomuch as it means that a theoretical iPhone Game would have Mario on it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 6, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

Apple doesn't care about video games and they have absolutely no plans to ever make a gaming console.

Steve Jobs really hated videogames and he even worked at Atari and made games like breakout.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You also said that with respect to the Gamecube, people were right to say that the "Death of Nintendo has been greatly under-exaggerated", and that it killed Nintendo. Doing worse than the N64 doesn't automatically make it a failure.

It's still just another thing in a long line of stuff that fell short and half baked ideas. Gamecube was where it really came to a head. Their fourth system and it compounded the problems of what the n64 had later on and didn't even have the support or games to negate it.

Rare put out a good many original games on the system and helped raise it up, but they don't really have anyone like that anymore. Retro doesn't come close in quantity and the same goes with monolith.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 6, 2013

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

apple actually seems to be pushing very hard for games with new ios7 features (standardized controller api!) and apple tv integration so i wouldn't be surprised if they were planning something in the next year or so. but of course this is doomed to failure because Angry Birds.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

zenintrude posted:

I suppose then you don't care to play your PS3 games in 20 years, when the servers that housed PS3 games are shut down and the hard drive on your PS3 fails.

I certainly don't.

But then I feel the whole "physical vs. digital" discussion is more about your own personal priorities, as opposed to what may or may not be better. Do you really feel the need to collect different consoles and games in the off-chance that you'll want to play them in 20 years? I did say "yes" to that for a while. I held onto my N64, Gameboy, PS2, and even bought a PS3 60GB so I could keep backwards compatibility. I've had my N64 and Gameboy for years now and I rarely touch them. In fact, I DON'T touch my old Gameboy. My N64 still comes out for a lark now again with friends, but it honestly happens maybe once a year. I've had my PS3 for seven years now and rarely touch PS2 games. In fact, I stopped using my PS2 after Persona 4's release.

There's simply too much media for me to consume.

With so many interesting indie games constantly popping up on Steam and PS+, I am constantly being inundated by free or inexpensive games. Will I want to replay them all in the next 20 years? Well, maybe one or two, but for me, that hardly justifies holding on to so much stuff (I've sold most of my consoles). If the PS3 servers shut down and my HDD dies taking my digital game collection with it, I'll move on.

However, that's my prerogative. If this is your mentality:

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'm prepared, I have every single good first part Nintendo game in my collection in some shape or form. They get blow'd up I shall have my immortal towers of games.

Future generations shall see firsthand the glories of Blockfort.

Then that's awesome too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

It's still just another thing in a long line of stuff that fell short and half baked ideas. Gamecube was where it really came to a head. Their fourth system and it compounded the problems of what the n64 had later on and didn't even have the support or games to negate it.
The console had issues, and you can draw clear trendlines from there to where they are now (especially with things like third-party support and online capabilities). The thing isn't so much that the Gamecube had issues as that they didn't recognise them and learn from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Comparing the Gamecube to the PS2 and calling it a failure is pretty dishonest since the PS2 was an utter juggernaut that smashed everything in its way into a fine dust.

• Locked thread