Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

MaximusRex just lagged G1 horribly because he mailed 500 potatoes.

quote:

OOC: MaximusRex: They're going to the info office, and we're standing in front of the chute. We probably are going to get over 1000 brute damage when it catches up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freedonkeys
Jan 7, 2010
And I thought I went overboard loading 50 floor tiles into a disposal outlet in order to shoot them at and kill someone.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Zeether posted:

MaximusRex just lagged G1 horribly because he mailed 500 potatoes.

Stacks of produce should really be stored within a single object like stacks of other things. The splittable stack I wrote is generic and really low level, everything just needs to be switched to use it. Then it'd all act the same! Everyone would be so confused.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

magic mountain posted:

Stacks of produce should really be stored within a single object like stacks of other things. The splittable stack I wrote is generic and really low level, everything just needs to be switched to use it. Then it'd all act the same! Everyone would be so confused.

This would be loving amazing and would save so much headache. No more right-clicking a Botany crate and immediately lagging for thirty seconds.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

magic mountain posted:

*throws stack of two hundred george melons*

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

magic mountain posted:

On that note, would it be possible to change the names of items depending on the amount? e.g. "50 metal sheets", "32 melons", that sort of thing. With that + something like right clicking for "Grab 1"/"Grab 5"/"Grab all" it would make managing stuff a lot easier.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

thelightguy posted:

*throws stack of two hundred george melons*

That would probably just cause the entire stack to blow up with the effect of one melon.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

That would probably just cause the entire stack to blow up with the effect of one melon.

No it should roll individually for each melon so the server can hang for a minute as 200 sets of gibs fly out of the space a human once occupied.

ScouSin
Jul 7, 2013
The stacking of items is a good idea until you get to someone actually holding 200 george melons. SS13 isn't the most realistic game, but that's just absurd that's amazing and I want it now. As for throwing from a stack, I imagine you could just subtract one from the stack and throw. Then you get into questions like "what if I only want one from the stack", or "how do I get just 30 of these 100 things". From a backend perspective, I imagine it could be a coding or laggy nightmare though. "I'm going to burn 100 papers all at once." Okay, so will the loop for burning run 100 times, or...? It strikes me as a must-test situation.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Stacks are usually limited to a certain amount in some games so you avoid 7 billion melons occupying the same spot. I'd imagine stacks of 100 for small items just acting as one object until split.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 5, 2013

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
gently caress that, this is SS13. Limitless quantum melons all around.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Collect enough on one spot and you'd just cause a melon singularity.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

One last hotkey, lads: T to talk

That said, hot drat and hells yes for WASD.
Also, in WASD mode, F farts. I didn't realise this at first and had no idea why I kept farting uncontrollably in deadchat.

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
Oh boy, time for a telescience expedition! I wonder where we're going this time. The Solarium? Oka-

ùru uzu urudu háda šuš

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar
What is the saxophone solo that isn't God Only Knows, Baker Street, that Eurovision song, or Careless Whisper? It's the one that sounds lonely, if anything. This is important.

Hell, I didn't even know that God Only Knows had a saxophone in it.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Shadowbag posted:

Oh boy, time for a telescience expedition! I wonder where we're going this time. The Solarium? Oka-

ùru uzu urudu háda šuš
That place is fantastically creepy. Then only time i've found it i started An Expedition with my engineer buddy but the round ended before we could fix any of the broken stuff there :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Illegal Username posted:

That place is fantastically creepy. Then only time i've found it i started An Expedition with my engineer buddy but the round ended before we could fix any of the broken stuff there :(

There's actually stuff to do on the Solarium now?

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's actually stuff to do on the Solarium now?

There always was.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Speaking of sax solos, I've had the following suggested for addition to the rotation: Mercy Mercy Me, Takin It To The Streets, Just The Way You Are, The Logical Song, Just The Two Of Us, Maneater, and Time Of My Life.

I don't think any of those are actually in the rotation though, so they're probably not the one you were looking for, Bachelor.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Also, in WASD mode, F farts. I didn't realise this at first and had no idea why I kept farting uncontrollably in deadchat.

Push-to-fart is my new favorite feature.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Well, that just sold me on using WASD mode.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Found out about SS13 from Razage's ongoing LP which has been hilarious so far. Thanks to him for doing it and Daeren for being a hilariously awesome admin. While I'm at it, thanks to everyone who worked on the wiki which has a lot of info and people who like Dr. Cogwerks who keep the game running and updated. Just seeing the LP and reading the game stories so far has been awesome.

Haven't been able to actually play though. Sorry for the tech support question, but whenever I try to connect to either of the SA servers I immediately get "Connection Closed." Any idea what's going on? I didn't want to post on the BYOND forum because I can connect to a different server fine, just not the two SA ones.

On a more positive note, it's great to see new features getting implemented - the keyboard shortcuts (i.e, WASD) are great, and reading the thread when the tickets were first implemented was hilarious. The remake looks like it's going really well too! With all the quality work that goes into this I'm really surprised I didn't hear about it sooner. Here's hoping the LP will bring more good players to the game (and hopefully they'll be able to make it work)!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Do you have a byond account and are you logged in?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

CatsPajamas posted:

reading the thread when the tickets were first implemented was hilarious.

quote:

On 2013-09-02 13:03:07, during round #2357, Senzangakhona Kajama (Security Officer) gave Luis Smith a ticket for hogging all the meth.

On 2013-09-02 13:05:11, during round #2357, Senzangakhona Kajama (Security Officer) gave whoever used to be that pile of gibs in front of t a ticket for Obstructing the path of the shuttle.

On 2013-09-02 13:06:26, during round #2357, Senzangakhona Kajama (Security Officer) gave A real goddamn jerk a ticket for spamming flashbangs on the Escape Shuttle.
Also:

quote:

On 2013-09-04 18:32:42, during round #2489, Kevin Kevinson (Security Officer) gave Alicia the loving monkey a ticket for rear end in a top hat pushed me PREPAIR TO DIE!.

On 2013-09-04 18:35:04, during round #2489, Kevin Kevinson (Security Officer) gave Cyborg Rho-91 a ticket for Asshat loving alm ost killed me.
Tickets are one of the funniest goddamn features ever implemented in this game, no lie.

lenin
Sep 11, 2001

dear leader

magic mountain posted:

I would like stackable glass shards a lot, it would make cleaning up after an explosion a lot easier. Use the stacks when you want to put the shards in a dispenser, break the stacks apart when you want to make a barefoot obstacle course.

Similar QOL thing.. broken light tubes currently do nothing except cause clutter. It would be nice if they could either be reclaimed in a fabricator or they just didn't exist at all-- like prying a broken floor tile does, clearing the space and producing nothing.

HiroProtagonist posted:

So my first marginally-successful traitor ever round just ended up with admin-spawned monkeys and shambling abominations trying to take me down, as Captain. Held everything off until I was admin-critted and beaten to death by random spawned enemies while the escape shuttle was called.

I had finally managed to subvert the AI for the first time without being caught and was lasering and shoving everyone I could find in non-public areas into disposals. It was great.

It was still a slow round. :allears:

this guy got stung by a changeling then shot off a lot of angry adminhelps assuming the hallucinations were real monsters being spawned in by admins

reminds me of probably my favorite SS13 of all time:
OOC: Lainge: I thought I had backup when fighting the operative................. nope I was just REALLY high.

lenin fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 5, 2013

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

thelightguy posted:

Do you have a byond account and are you logged in?

Registered on Byond and logged in, but didn't get a paid membership (under the impression it wasn't necessary). Tried to setup the http://byond.lljk.net/ authentication, but http://www.alluvion.org couldn't load my SA account.

Regardless, I'm glad I found out about SS13 just to read the threads for stuff like this. It's great to see how different games can be and still have something awesome going on. And just like somebody said earlier in the thread tickets are good at forming a story. Even if I can't get the connection through BYOND to work I'm definitely going to keep tabs on the remake so I can pounce on that when it's ready.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

CatsPajamas posted:

Registered on Byond and logged in, but didn't get a paid membership (under the impression it wasn't necessary). Tried to setup the http://byond.lljk.net/ authentication, but http://www.alluvion.org couldn't load my SA account.

Yeah I'm having the same problem, but it's not a big deal at all.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

You also have to log in on the little BYOND pager app thing I think.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

lenin posted:

I would like stackable glass shards a lot, it would make cleaning up after an explosion a lot easier. Use the stacks when you want to put the shards in a dispenser, break the stacks apart when you want to make a barefoot obstacle course.

Similar QOL thing.. broken light tubes currently do nothing except cause clutter. It would be nice if they could either be reclaimed in a fabricator or they just didn't exist at all-- like prying a broken floor tile does, clearing the space and producing nothing.

Both of these would be very, very nice! I like to fix bombed areas when it's possible and these are both little annoyances that really add up.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

PopeCrunch posted:

Two things: 1) I'm an idiot. 2) You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

And man, seeing the changelog really shows how much work goes into this. Thanks again to everyone who keeps it continuously improving. I've seen a number of good ideas posted on the forums, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it continues to develop from here.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I logged in for the first time in quite a while earlier today and tried to do the wasd hotkey thing. I hit tab, and got a message saying that wasd mode was activated, but I was still typing into the chatbox instead of moving. I tried clearing the chatbox of everything, including the "say:" part, but I couldn't seem to get it to work. What did I do wrong?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

PopeCrunch posted:

Which pager app would that be, and why would it allow alluvion to suddenly read a number on my SA profile?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I logged in for the first time in quite a while earlier today and tried to do the wasd hotkey thing. I hit tab, and got a message saying that wasd mode was activated, but I was still typing into the chatbox instead of moving. I tried clearing the chatbox of everything, including the "say:" part, but I couldn't seem to get it to work. What did I do wrong?

Your cursor was probably still in the text box, happens to me too. Click somewhere in the actual game to move the focus and you'll be fine.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

You're not an idiot! It's obtuse as hell.

Basically when you INSTALL BYOND, you wind up with a little program called byond.exe. Run that. It'll have you log in. The first thing you should do is File -> Preferences -> Pager Type: None. Otherwise you'll get about 14 thousand invites to lovely Naruto RP games, and nobody wants that. Once you've logged into the pager app dealie, you should be able to connect to the goon servers no problem. From there, Something Happens which authenticates you as a goon, I don't think it involves the BYOND pager at all, but something the server does. I don't really know for sure.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.

PopeCrunch posted:

You're not an idiot! It's obtuse as hell.

Basically when you INSTALL BYOND, you wind up with a little program called byond.exe. Run that. It'll have you log in. The first thing you should do is File -> Preferences -> Pager Type: None. Otherwise you'll get about 14 thousand invites to lovely Naruto RP games, and nobody wants that. Once you've logged into the pager app dealie, you should be able to connect to the goon servers no problem. From there, Something Happens which authenticates you as a goon, I don't think it involves the BYOND pager at all, but something the server does. I don't really know for sure.

The process to authenticate as a Goon is lost to time and I don't even think it works anymore. It's okay though, all you lose out on is the lovely goonsay channel where goony goon gunes say nothing because they're too busy getting burned by a plasma fire.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I installed this and was able to figure out how to play and everything reasonably easily. I'm just a bit confused.

Whenever I hit the directional keys to move, I seem to move anywhere between 1 and 3 spaces. Is there some sort of hyper-sensitivity thing or is this some sort of lag/BYOND engine issue? I've played Dwarf Fortress, I can handle the obtuse interface, but not being able to move around without having to fight the controls is really bothersome.

Lyuop
Oct 29, 2012
Byond is a really bad engine. You'll get used to it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So it's just the engine? Not anything with my keyboard or even my internet? Okay, good to know, thanks.

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
It's Byond being Byond. Just wait until it the pendulum swings to the other end of the spectrum, namely "Oh god I've been holding the arrow key for thirty seconds, move you bastard" right as a changling goes Shambling Abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

Shadowbag posted:

It's Byond being Byond. Just wait until it the pendulum swings to the other end of the spectrum, namely "Oh god I've been holding the arrow key for thirty seconds, move you bastard" right as a changling goes Shambling Abomination.

It IS worth noting though that most rounds movement is mostly ok. Mostly.

• Locked thread