Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Prevent lifting by overlapping the doors. The hinges are the vulnerable point with barn doors, usually.

Good point. A nice big board held in place with inward facing coach bolts would probably do it. I've been trying to think of a way of sort of sealing the gap between the doors and that would be quite adequate.

The main garage door is super exposed so I couldn't see anyone trying anything too elaborate in a dead quiet residential street. My house is sort of flanked by a car dealership / service center and what is / was a truck mechanic so my place would be a bit of a poor target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My tool anti-theft method is to leave everything strewn about the garage haphazardly.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

kmcormick9 posted:

Can anybody recommend a good electric screwdriver?

If you want to dish out some monies, you cant get better than the Snap On 7.2V
For something so small, it packs a great punch.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=all&item_ID=647099&group_ID=682669&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

revmoo posted:

My tool anti-theft method is to leave everything strewn about the garage haphazardly.
That pretty much sums up my tool drawer organization, too. Toolboxes are expensive! Screw wasting space with foam, I cram as much as I can in each drawer and still be able to close it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

grover posted:

That pretty much sums up my tool drawer organization, too. Toolboxes are expensive! Screw wasting space with foam, I cram as much as I can in each drawer and still be able to close it.

Socket rails and spanner/wrench rails make for a good compromise. Everything has a place, is kept neat and tidy, but minimal space wasteage:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
More importantly it keeps you noticing if anythings missing. Buying the same nice tool again is lame.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's time for me to buy a trolley jack, I'd like something light because I'm not a big guy, low profile would be nice too, it's for an E46. Any suggestions?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

It's time for me to buy a trolley jack, I'd like something light because I'm not a big guy, low profile would be nice too, it's for an E46. Any suggestions?
Sign up for one of Machine Mart's discount offers, and when they give you a VAT-free day, have a look at their stuff. They'll do a low (~80mm min height) trolley jack at 40 in steel (CTJ2250LP, 2 ton) or 90 in aluminium (CTJ1250A, 1.25 ton). Couple of their more expensive ones go that low, too.

I didn't think E46s were spectacularly low. You sure a regular jack that goes down to 125mm or so won't be low enough?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Mooseykins posted:

Socket rails and spanner/wrench rails make for a good compromise. Everything has a place, is kept neat and tidy, but minimal space wasteage:

So is that what those things are called? Because I have been looking for those things for ages. My most used tools are living in a Chinese socket set case thing I was given when I was a kid. Big fold open plastic thing. It's been steadily turning to dust but I have no other good way of organizing my sockets and spanners. Admittedly what I have in the box is only a subset. I also have the big drawer in one of my toolchests full of sockets, extensions and drivers. So messy. My poor chest is overflowing. My 3/4" stuff lives in one of those plastic carpenters toolbox things etc.
I've dreamed of a way of organising all of them nicely. Except for the imperial sockets and spanners which could live in an old bucket for all it matters because the only time I ever use them is when I've misplaced a metric.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Sign up for one of Machine Mart's discount offers, and when they give you a VAT-free day, have a look at their stuff. They'll do a low (~80mm min height) trolley jack at £40 in steel (CTJ2250LP, 2 ton) or £90 in aluminium (CTJ1250A, 1.25 ton). Couple of their more expensive ones go that low, too.

I didn't think E46s were spectacularly low. You sure a regular jack that goes down to 125mm or so won't be low enough?

I dunno, I'm just getting all excited about having a new car and I've made do until 32 without a proper jack, I'll wait until I've got the car and check. :yayclod:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

While it's not light (at all..) Costs sell a really good Arcan low-entre jack for 80-100. Excellent value for money, i've had mine for about 6 years and it's never once let me down, it's a beast of a jack. While it's heavy, i can lift it and i'm 5'11" and 147lb, so shouldn't be too troublesome. You rarely need to pick up a jack anyway.

General_Failure posted:

So is that what those things are called? Because I have been looking for those things for ages. My most used tools are living in a Chinese socket set case thing I was given when I was a kid. Big fold open plastic thing. It's been steadily turning to dust but I have no other good way of organizing my sockets and spanners. Admittedly what I have in the box is only a subset. I also have the big drawer in one of my toolchests full of sockets, extensions and drivers. So messy. My poor chest is overflowing. My 3/4" stuff lives in one of those plastic carpenters toolbox things etc.
I've dreamed of a way of organising all of them nicely. Except for the imperial sockets and spanners which could live in an old bucket for all it matters because the only time I ever use them is when I've misplaced a metric.

Yessir. They're very handy. At some point i'll actually get around to riveting/welding them to a sheet of steel/ally in the drawer to hold them in there more solid. I like them more than the plastic holders and can cram more in there. That drawer is pretty full. The whole box is drat near full capacity and i need to make up a steel brace to support it as the floor of the box can't take the weight.

Scores a very nice, very rare and expensive BMW/Land Rover genuine ball joint splitter earlier, a friend had one and just gave it to me. $370 from Samstag Sales. Also got a free Czechoslovakian scissor jack the other day, will work nicely for small tasks like aligning engines and such.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

General_Failure posted:

I really like these for organizing my sockets. http://www.amazon.com/Hansen-HNE9302-Metric-Socket-Tray/dp/B009RTJO4I/

This is what they look like.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Brain Issues posted:

I really like these for organizing my sockets. http://www.amazon.com/Hansen-HNE9302-Metric-Socket-Tray/dp/B009RTJO4I/

I have a bunch of those (somewhere..) but i find that they either don't have enough spacer or i have gaps left by useless sizes. (like 20mm.) Also with the limited space in the box, i need the rails to make everything fit, and it's still a squeeze.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mooseykins posted:

I have a bunch of those (somewhere..) but i find that they either don't have enough spacer or i have gaps left by useless sizes. (like 20mm.) Also with the limited space in the box, i need the rails to make everything fit, and it's still a squeeze.

Yeah, if I was as cramped for space as you I'd have to find another solution but my toolbox is enormous. I like the convenience of not having to clip the socket to the rail and the tidy look/easiness of seeing what sizes are where that this style provides.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Sears also sells these. They are my favorite socket organizer by far. The base has a graduated size so only the right size socket (and bigger...) fits on the peg. They make it easy to pick the sockets back in the right place. Considering how messy my tools are, this is the key for me.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Brain Issues posted:

Yeah, if I was as cramped for space as you I'd have to find another solution but my toolbox is enormous. I like the convenience of not having to clip the socket to the rail and the tidy look/easiness of seeing what sizes are where that this style provides.

The box isn't all that small, it's just that there's so much stuff crammed into it. I need a bigger box but can't afford it.

I'm actually quite fond of socket rails, they're simple and ultilitarian. (much like myself..) I just need to get them mounted properly and rearrange a few things to get it how it want.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Brain Issues posted:

I just started using these because Lowe's is selling them for $5 per 3 piece set so you can have both metric and SAE for under :10bux:.

Metric
SAE

I also just picked up a set of Tongue and Groove Pliers because they had a set of 3 for under $10.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Mooseykins posted:

The box isn't all that small, it's just that there's so much stuff crammed into it. I need a bigger box but can't afford it.

I'm actually quite fond of socket rails, they're simple and ultilitarian. (much like myself..) I just need to get them mounted properly and rearrange a few things to get it how it want.

LOL isnt all that small...

Nice digs

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Preoptopus posted:

LOL isnt all that small...

Nice digs

Thanks! Yeah, it's not so small, fucker weighs a hell of a lot (With all the drawers out it took 8 people to lift it into a van.) and is just about full, but organized enough that i know where everything is.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mooseykins posted:

Yeah that's actually pretty drat big.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Brain Issues posted:

Yeah that's actually pretty drat big.

It's quite rare to see a bigger box over here. (England) KRLs are quite unusual and few can afford them.

My ratchet obsession:

There's quite a few more since that pic was taken. (Total somewhere in the 70 region.)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Wow I'm more jealous for the ratchet collection than the box.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Mooseykins posted:

It's quite rare to see a bigger box over here. (England) KRLs are quite unusual and few can afford them.

My ratchet obsession:

There's quite a few more since that pic was taken. (Total somewhere in the 70 region.)

Wow you're right, you really are running out of room... tell you what, mail all your duplicates to me and that should clear out some space for you!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Viper915 posted:

Wow you're right, you really are running out of room... tell you what, mail all your duplicates to me and that should clear out some space for you!

Ha, you're not the first to say that!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You know.... I really really like my composite ratchets from HF. Go and buy a set in 3/8, 1/4, and 1/2. For about 30 bucks they really are the best you can buy

Archives
Nov 23, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

What's the reason for the high cost? CNC-cut foam is pretty cheap. Hell, you can build a pretty nice CNC foam cutter for under $500.

Ok I can't believe this. Please show me how I can make a cnc foam cutter for under 500 bucks.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You know.... I really really like my composite ratchets from HF. Go and buy a set in 3/8, 1/4, and 1/2. For about 30 bucks they really are the best you can buy

The only good ratchet I have is my 3/4" one. I'd love a good 1/2" and 3/8" one. I've never even owned a 1/4" one but would really like one. I also have breaker bars, those weird sliding T bars, a drill crank style one and this weird crank drill like one with a directional ratchet and a square chuck on the end. I have no idea what it's for but it's brilliant for thread taps

e: I forgot the original reason I was posting. Can I attack connectors with a ratcheting crimper that I've already done with those awful nutcracker ones? I picked up a cheap ratcheting crimper today and I figure it has to be better than what I've got.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 4, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Archives posted:

Ok I can't believe this. Please show me how I can make a cnc foam cutter for under 500 bucks.

Here's a CNC mill for under $600.
https://www.inventables.com/technologies/desktop-cnc-mill-kits-shapeoko

You could probably knock a hundred off the top if you built it yourself.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

These actually are very good. Nice in the cold too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mooseykins posted:

While it's not light (at all..) Costs sell a really good Arcan low-entre jack for £80-100. Excellent value for money, i've had mine for about 6 years and it's never once let me down, it's a beast of a jack. While it's heavy, i can lift it and i'm 5'11" and 147lb, so shouldn't be too troublesome. You rarely need to pick up a jack anyway..

Unfortunately I don't have a garage and the only place I can keep a jack is either in the boot or the shed. Either one requires the jack to be lifted & carried every time I use it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

Unfortunately I don't have a garage and the only place I can keep a jack is either in the boot or the shed. Either one requires the jack to be lifted & carried every time I use it.

Ah, fair enough. Yeah, while you can lift them in and out of the boot, they're heavy. I used to do a lot of mobile mech work, which almost always involved lifting that jack in and out of the car. It gets old real fast.

Ally ones are good, but there are a lot of cheap ones that just aren't up to the job. Sealey make one, and my friend found it to buckle quite quickly. I recall Arcan do an ally one and it's pretty good. Blue Point make one which is good, but expensive.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
So my grandfather went into an old folks home and I managed to inherit some sweet old stahlwille tools. The thing i was wondering was if torque wrenches go "off" as these would be from the mid-late 50s or 60s. If they do go out of spec, how much it would cost to get them reset.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

So my grandfather went into an old folks home and I managed to inherit some sweet old stahlwille tools. The thing i was wondering was if torque wrenches go "off" as these would be from the mid-late 50s or 60s. If they do go out of spec, how much it would cost to get them reset.

Are they clickers or beam-type? Pictures? Stahlwille make some of the very best tools out there, absolute top quality.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Top drawer with my most commonly used sockets, ratchets, extensions.

Screwdriver/Torxdriver/Prybar/Picks/Trimtool drawer.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Anyone have any experience with this nibbler: http://www.harborfreight.com/compact-hand-nibbler-65895.html

I've used the ones like this before:

and they're alright, but definitely feel cheap and sometimes get the chips caught in the mechanism. I know it's a bit silly to look at HF for something that doesn't feel as cheap, but I'm occasionally surprised.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
EZ Out? Bullshit.

Fuckers need to be renamed to Difficult Out.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Brain Issues posted:

I can get behind a tool box that has big enough drawers to fit cordless power tools into it!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Brain Issues posted:

Love for the Wera!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Brain Issues posted:

Nice collection you got going on there! Good to see the Weras, i'm a big fan of their screwdrivers. Wiha and PB Swiss are other brands to look into for stuff, i have many of their products and they're great.

How do you like the Snap-on Instinct screwdrivers? I have a couple, but never really got on with them so much, probably because i have small hands and they don't "fit" so well in my grip. The vast majority of my Snap-on screwdrivers are the older hard handle type, which i'm very fond of.

You need more ratchets though.

I have one of those 3/8" DeWalt 10.8v impacts, surprisingly powerful for its size, i never expected it to remove half of the nuts/bolts that it does. It sees a lot of use, and the battery life is crazy too.

Phone posted:

EZ Out? Bullshit.

Fuckers need to be renamed to Difficult Out.

Or EZ Break. Those fuckers snap and really ruin your day. Among many sets for different types of oh poo poo moments I have the Snap-on/Irwin short helical extractors like these:

They work really well, and tend to be less prone to breakage than EZ Outs. Of course, when they do break they still gently caress up your day as good as an EZ Out does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mooseykins posted:

Nice collection you got going on there! Good to see the Weras, i'm a big fan of their screwdrivers. Wiha and PB Swiss are other brands to look into for stuff, i have many of their products and they're great.

How do you like the Snap-on Instinct screwdrivers? I have a couple, but never really got on with them so much, probably because i have small hands and they don't "fit" so well in my grip. The vast majority of my Snap-on screwdrivers are the older hard handle type, which i'm very fond of.

You need more ratchets though.

I have one of those 3/8" DeWalt 10.8v impacts, surprisingly powerful for its size, i never expected it to remove half of the nuts/bolts that it does. It sees a lot of use, and the battery life is crazy too.

I really like the snap on instinct screwdrivers. The Wera handles may have been ever so slightly more comfortable for me but the tips and shaft strength is much greater on the SnapOns. I still keep the Weras around, they worked fine and I would still be using them if I didn't get the SnapOn drivers for literally half price. The snapon drivers are nice but not worth it at full price in my opinion.

I don't really need more ratchets! Between those and my 12v DeWalts and air tools I have all my bases covered, I haven't needed to borrow a ratchet from anyone. All my ratchets are SnapOn 72 or 80 teeth. The long ones are all flex head so they're really versatile.

My favorite tools in the top drawer are the 12v DeWalts though, I use them on almost every single car that I work on, and unless its at a weird angle I don't even have to use a ratchet. They're pretty drat strong like you say and the battery life is incredible.