Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
In terms of picture quality, colour accuracy, viewing angle, price, and motion resolution, LED/LCD is still in second place, though they're petty close even so.
Their advantages over plasma are energy efficiency, weight, aesthetics, brightness, motion interpolation (if you're into it), and LG's passive 3D, with low/no eye strain and very little crosstalk. I watch (streaming) baseball and hockey on my plasma and it's great. If I still watched actual TV, I'd watch curling too. :canada:

A high motion interpolation rating is great for sports, but commercials and TV/movies might look like poo poo.
Most sets have the option to adjust or deactivate it though.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mister Macys posted:

LG's passive 3D, with low/no eye strain and very little crosstalk.
This totally owns and I use it almost always when watching something. The 2D->3D is magic. The only problem is you can't use it with bideo games because the conversion adds a noticeable amount of lag.

President!
May 3, 2006

A real ray of sunshine

JiUC posted:

Thanks! So is there a general consensus that plasma is better than LED and LCD for sports? I see that they tend to have much better refresh rates, but is that far and away the most important consideration?

I don't want to take credit for knowledge that isn't mine, but I was just researching the same questions earlier today and ran across the following article: http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-guide/

You may find it helpful. I found it quite good at exploring all the issues that I consider relevant to my TV purchasing decision.

The one concern I'd have is whether the information is the consensus among enthusiasts/experts or whether it's just the opinions of a single tech news editor.

Either way, give it a look and see if it helps. I thought it was good (and, FWIW, probably decided on the Panasonic ST60 as the best TV for sports/movies based in part on what I read in the article linked above).

President!
May 3, 2006

A real ray of sunshine
Out of curiosity (I searched the last few pages of the thread and didn't see any mentions), does anyone here own the Panasonic ST60 (any size)? I'm wondering if it's really as great as most of the reviews suggest.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Most of the goons who would have bought it (myself included) all purchased last year's version, the ST50 (while I bought the E6500).
The ST50 was the darling of reviewers and goons alike, and this year the ST60 has more improvements at a lower initial MSRP.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

President! posted:

Out of curiosity (I searched the last few pages of the thread and didn't see any mentions), does anyone here own the Panasonic ST60 (any size)? I'm wondering if it's really as great as most of the reviews suggest.

I'm curious about this TV as well. The picture is supposedly excellent, though I can't afford anything larger than the 50" version, which puts me on the fence between this TV and similarly priced 60" TVs.

If you're a gamer you should know there's an input lag issue with the ST60.

President!
May 3, 2006

A real ray of sunshine
I've seen the comment regarding input lag on the ST60 a few times. The issue seems to be pretty well-documented throughout this entire Panasonic line.

I plan to use the plasma only as a primary sports/movie/cable watching device.

But since I've been reading so many TV reviews, it occurs to me that maybe I'd like to get a second new TV for use as a replacement PC monitor. I presume that LCD/LED is the best option for a TV of that purpose.

Does anybody have an opinion they care to share about what I should look for (or a particular model that I should look into)? The size I have in mind is probably 40-55", if that helps narrow it down.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

In terms of picture quality, colour accuracy, viewing angle, price, and motion resolution, LED/LCD is still in second place, though they're petty close even so.
Their advantages over plasma are energy efficiency, weight, aesthetics, brightness, motion interpolation (if you're into it), and LG's passive 3D, with low/no eye strain and very little crosstalk. I watch (streaming) baseball and hockey on my plasma and it's great. If I still watched actual TV, I'd watch curling too. :canada:

A high motion interpolation rating is great for sports, but commercials and TV/movies might look like poo poo.
Most sets have the option to adjust or deactivate it though.

The passive tech is so much better then the active by comparison I sometimes think about dropping $1500 on a new TV even though I don't need it.

I honestly think most people don't like motion interpolation because they are so used to seeing everything at 24/30fps. I will admit I turn it off on some older movies for authenticity, but most modern movies it makes action sequences a lot more smooth to me.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I found a Panasonic TH-50PZ85U leaning against a garbage can in the alley. I lugged that heavy motherfucker up the stairs and plugged it in. I heard some relays click and some other stuff seemed to start happening, but then the power button LED blinked 10 times and nothing. I tried this again after letting it sit for a while, same thing.

Various forums and websites say a board inside the TV needs to be replaced and it will probably cost like $300. Is it worth it for this monster, or should I return it to the alley from whence it came?

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 29, 2013

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It probably wouldn't hurt to have a repairman look at it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

JiUC posted:

Thanks! So is there a general consensus that plasma is better than LED and LCD for sports? I see that they tend to have much better refresh rates, but is that far and away the most important consideration?
WARNING: Non-expert anecdotal evidence ahead:

As someone with a 50" Panasonic Viera Plasma, I'm not sure it's the best TV for sports. Every time I go to a friends house who has a 120hz+ LED, it just looks way brighter and seems like it is made for watching small details in a brightly lit setting (aka under the lights at a sporting event). My TV actually makes blacks black however, so it is loving awesome for everything else. It does suffer from image retention, so after watching a baseball game I can still see the dumb fox sports baseball diamond/scoreboard thing for about an hour afterward, so again, a strike against it for sports.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It probably depends on the specific model.
There's a few Panasonic's where their peak brightness is 100 cd/M2 or under, according to http://www.televisioninfo.com.
S60 - 91.32cd/M2
U50 - 53.88cd/M2
ST50 - 70.24cd/M2
VT50 - 102.03cd/M2

The ST60 is around ~131cd/M2, which isn't that far off from my E6500's ~151, and I never set my brightness higher than halfway anyways; it washes out the blacks and over saturates the whites.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 3, 2013

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

adorai posted:

As someone with a 50" Panasonic Viera Plasma...It does suffer from image retention, so after watching a baseball game I can still see the dumb fox sports baseball diamond/scoreboard thing for about an hour afterward, so again, a strike against it for sports.

Is the ST60 part of the Viera series? The image retention is worrying...I don't watch any sports, but most stations have bugs that are in the corner pretty much nonstop.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
What a coincidence, I calibrated a Viera ST60 today and I was really surprised at the great color accuracy for such a consumer model. Set to "True Cinema", it performed already very well, without calibration. With calibration you can get amazing results. You can crank up the contrast (white level) really high without clipping highlight detail and with brightness (black level) set a little above zero you also get good black detail. Also, set sharpness down pretty much all the way, turn off overscan and any image enhancing/sharpening/de-noising features, and you get a great natural image.

I can't comment on the image retention, but the spot brightness (i.e. not full-screen white) was higher than 130 cd/m2.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 3, 2013

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Does anyone know what's up with the 60 inch ST60? It's been sold out since late june/early july. I'd very much like to buy one but I can't find it anywhere and no one knows when the next batch will be...

I waited on the ST50 since I was coming into it so late and the ST60 was around the corner..at this point it's looking like I might as well wait for the ST70.

All my audio gear is sitting in boxes, waiting..mocking me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ooh, 4K UHD content coming out in December!

AQUARIUM 4K - The Tropical Reef Experience
ADVENTURE YELLOWSTONE - The World's Most Popular National Park
HAWAII - The Magical Volcano Islands
SERENGETI - Nature's Greatest Journey
FIREPLACE 4K - The Ultimate Fireplace Experience
AMERICA - THE BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY :911:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Oh boy, I've always wanted my $4,000 TV to be used as a fake aquarium and/or fireplace.

edit: grammar

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 4, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
So its exactly how it was when HDTV came out.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
I picked up this TV up on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081UUYWA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had 75 dollars worth of giftcards so it ended up being under 200 after that. I know it's not a high end model, but was curious if anyone else picked one up.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Now we just need a new video disc format to come out with even more copy protection but the ability to do 4K natively and we are all set. Well you know, once the price comes down to something people with more sense can afford.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

f1av0r posted:

I picked up this TV up on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081UUYWA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had 75 dollars worth of giftcards so it ended up being under 200 after that. I know it's not a high end model, but was curious if anyone else picked one up.

Actually bought that TV about a year ago and aside from the sub-par speakers the TV has been great. Just make sure its off power saving mode, its pretty noticeable because the PQ will look very dull and dark, but sometimes the TV likes to turn it on randomly when switching A/V sources. But you can't really beat the 1080p/price/size combo.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008

dundun posted:

Actually bought that TV about a year ago and aside from the sub-par speakers the TV has been great. Just make sure its off power saving mode, its pretty noticeable because the PQ will look very dull and dark, but sometimes the TV likes to turn it on randomly when switching A/V sources. But you can't really beat the 1080p/price/size combo.

Thanks for the info. Everywhere I looked (amazon, newegg, walmart, cnet) all gave it pretty favorable reviews for the price. The only knock being the speakers. I'm not expecting it to match up to a 1000 dollar TV, but that price seemed really great.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

catch22 posted:

Is the ST60 part of the Viera series? The image retention is worrying...I don't watch any sports, but most stations have bugs that are in the corner pretty much nonstop.
Just remember, image retention isn't burn in. I only see the retained images when the screen is black during a transition, never while I am actually watching something on the screen. It goes away on it's own after a reasonably short period. For reference, I put about 100 hours into fallout 3 new vegas over a 1 month period, and the HUD image retention was gone in no time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So it looks like I can get, say, a 60" 3d 240hz LG for $200 less than the comparable Samsung. I've recently had some bad experiences with LG hardware/software, so I'm tempted to shell out the extra 10x:20bux: for the Samsung, which I've never had trouble with. With that in mind, what's the diff between the various UN__ES???? models? Like ES8000, ES7500, etc.

I'm most strongly considering the Samsung UN60ES8000 right now. It's a little more than I was planning on, but I really don't have a hard budget on this so I might shell out for the 60" screen instead of the 55" I was originally considering.

e: Is ES like a couple years old or something? I can get that tv on Amazon for $2k, but it's from some other seller and they say they only have 2 in stock, I can't find the same model on newegg or anything.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 6, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The best way would be to compare the Tech Spec lists from each model, but offhand, the notable differences are super flat displays, very thin bezels, micro dimming, voice/gesture controls, higher interpolation rates (CMR), the Evolution Kit (7 series and up), and single or dual core processors.

http://www.samsung.com/ph/consumer/tv-audio-video/tv/slim-led-tv
Just click on the series number and find the ES models.
Once you get to the 6 series, you may be better off buying this year's models. Especially for Smart features, as they'll have dual core processors.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 6, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So supposedly that 60" ES8000 has all the fixin's (dual core, good cmr, slim yadda yadda, smart stuff, etc), I feel like I must be missing something because I can't find it by that specific model number at the other retailers and that one on amazon claims two left. I'm really tempted to just pull the trigger but I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I got your back: ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN60ES8000-60-Inch-1080p-Silver/dp/B0074FGTJA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378442387&sr=8-3&keywords=es8000

"Only 2 left."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Umm...yeah? That's exactly the item I was talking about when I said

Bad Munki posted:

they only have 2 in stock
and

I'm just confused as to why they're apparently so rare. It looks like a good deal, even the other sellers on Amazon aren't that low, but I'm just naturally wary of good deals. And it puzzles me that it doesn't even show up on, say, Newegg, or Best Buy, or wherever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ES is 2012, so not very old. This year is F. Samsung raises the letter after the screen size for model year. In 2012 ES meant LED while just E was Plasma, but they dropped that for this year and it's all F.

No idea why no other retailer seems to have the ES8000s though.

My guess is big box like Bestbuy etc. already cleared it out for the 2013 models. You would expect some more online retailers to have them though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 6, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ah, okay, great, that's just the extra info I was looking for. I figure other retailers don't have them because exactly that: they're 2012s. They'd rather be selling 2013s now. ;)

Also, I realize my initial comments were all phrased a bit train-of-thought which might have made for some confusion, I'm sorta piecing this together as I go, but that TV looks like just what I'm looking for.

I just hope it'll fit the wall mount I have. ;)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Umm...yeah? That's exactly the item I was talking about when I said

Bad Munki posted:
they only have 2 in stock

and

Bad Munki posted:
two left

I can't read for poo poo some nights. :doh:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Only 1 left now :smug:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No, that's okay, like I said, I was thinking as I went and wasn't being entirely clear.

Anyhow, gently caress it, I pulled the trigger. It's being sold on Amazon from some place Lincoln Direct LLC out of Illinois, so hopefully nothing's too screwy. I keep double checking the specs as if they're going to change: is it really 3D? Is it really 240hz? Is it really 60"? Then I'm reading the spec sheets and I go, "Wtf is '3D available?! Am I going to get jipped?!" Even if it's well within my budget, dropping $2k on a tv is outside my norm and makes me nervous. v:shobon:v

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Only 1 left now :smug:
Haha, yeah, that was me. Unless you're saying you bought one, in which case ALL GONE SUCKERS.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's probably worded that way because Samsung has been downplaying 3D the last 2 years.

It doesn't take a whole lot to make a 120Hz+ TV do 3D (especially with active glasses, I would think) so they pretty much just throw it in there, but it's not a big advertising focus anymore because 3D wasn't something a lot of people specifically sought.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

It's probably worded that way because Samsung has been downplaying 3D the last 2 years.

It doesn't take a whole lot to make a 120Hz+ TV do 3D (especially with active glasses, I would think) so they pretty much just throw it in there, but it's not a big advertising focus anymore because 3D wasn't something a lot of people specifically sought.

Yep at this point 3D is pretty pure after thought. In fact, a few manufacturers are dropping the feature on budget models just because the typical low end consumer doesn't care. Of course, it doesn't help that 3D launch of TV's was sort of botched and it took until the last 2 years to really fix the cross talk issues. Couple in the lack of support from the cable companies (do to bandwidth and hardware), the extra $10 for a 3D release, etc, and it really didn't have the impact it should have.

Man, I miss working with televisions.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, mostly I'm after the extra screen real-estate. But I figured I have a 3d bluray player and a 3d receiver, why NOT get a 3d tv? Also, I have directv instead of cable, and most of my movies come from redbox anyhow, so there's at least some 3d content.

Next up I just need to figure out what I need to do to get my computer to support 3d on this thing. That's probably another subforum, though. ;)

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, mostly I'm after the extra screen real-estate. But I figured I have a 3d bluray player and a 3d receiver, why NOT get a 3d tv? Also, I have directv instead of cable, and most of my movies come from redbox anyhow, so there's at least some 3d content.

Next up I just need to figure out what I need to do to get my computer to support 3d on this thing. That's probably another subforum, though. ;)

Don't get me wrong. I love 3D even on my Hisense which has more crosstalk then I would like. I think for some movies it really adds a nice extra dimension.

Computer: Usually for 3D to a TV, just run an HDMI cable from your NVIDIA / ATI card to your TV and turn the option on in the game. For desktop monitors, I think only LG is really in the game. :-(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HFX posted:

Computer: Usually for 3D to a TV, just run an HDMI cable from your NVIDIA / ATI card to your TV and turn the option on in the game. For desktop monitors, I think only LG is really in the game. :-(

Yeah, that's how I have it hooked up now (well, except the hdmi goes through my receiver so the computer is just another input to select), so I'm hoping all I have to do is just swap the tv. Currently, my old 46" samsung acts as my only monitor for this computer. I'm actually super pleased with the setup: the computer is in another room, and there's a patch panel next to my surround/hdmi patch panel behind my receiver, with hdmi and usb. A little usb hub is plugged into the usb patch, and then goes to the computer on the other side of the wall. The end result is that the computer's only presence in the room, aside from the wee little usb hub with two wireless dongles, is the tv and a wireless mouse/keyboard. I suppose if I wanted, I could do away with the hub and just use a matching wireless keyboard/mouse and have the dongle directly in the wall, but I'm too picky about my mice. :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm having trouble finding the mounting specs for that new ES8000 I ordered. I grabbed the manual online, but didn't see it in there. Anyone know where I can find the VESA specs for this thing? Mostly I just want to know if it'll fit my 100×100 - 600×400 bracket or if I need to quick grab a new one before the tv shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

VESA Size: 400x400 :eng101:
Looks like it'll fit.