Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
There Will Be Blood was just added. A Daniel Day Lewis tour de force! One of my all time favorites, spending this rainy day watching watching this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Road is on instant, not sure how long it has been but I just noticed it when looking at my DVD queue. No idea if it is actually good but :v:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Totally TWISTED posted:

The Road is on instant, not sure how long it has been but I just noticed it when looking at my DVD queue. No idea if it is actually good but :v:

It's fantastic.

It'll also make you want to kill yourself out of despair, just like the book!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Totally TWISTED posted:

If you find the movie interesting at all you really owe it to yourself to read the book. It's a whole hell of a lot better. Also way way more depressing to boot!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It's fantastic.

That's the best description of that movie; fantastic, and makes you want to kill yourself.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Netflix just said that I would rate a certain movie 5 stars for the first time since I signed up 6 years ago. I've been steadily rating movies for at least 3 of those years and that has been reflected in my recommended rating, but I've never seen the algorithm go all the way and actually state that I would rate a certain movie 5 whole stars. Thank you Netflix, for always surprising me.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Well, what is this masterpiece of cinema?

Elguapo
Jan 23, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It's fantastic.

I found the book less depressing, my mind painted a slightly better picture than the movie did...

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Elguapo posted:

I found the book less depressing, my mind painted a slightly better picture than the movie did...

It has been a while, but in the book doesn't the man watch other travelers roast and eat a baby?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

oneof27 posted:

Well, what is this masterpiece of cinema?
There Will Be Blood.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

There Will Be Blood.

Eh, that's like a freebie for the recommendation system.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Leper Residue posted:

Eh, that's like a freebie for the recommendation system.
Yeah I've already gotten it on DVD and watched it instantly before. I was just trying to watch the part where older H.W tells Daniel he's going to Mexico. Love that scene. Did that need spoiler tags?

"I'm going to Mexico with my wife. I'm going away from you."

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

Yeah I've already gotten it on DVD and watched it instantly before. I was just trying to watch the part where older H.W tells Daniel he's going to Mexico. Love that scene. Did that need spoiler tags?

"I'm going to Mexico with my wife. I'm going away from you."

There Will Be Blood chat:

Yeah, I love that scene, it's just a whole 'holy poo poo' scene.

I've seen the movie numerous times, and everytime I see it, I notice something new in a scene that makes me appreciate it even more.

And the soundtrack is amazing. Not in a 'I'll listen to this when I get home" kind of way, but it works perfectly for what you are seeing.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I came to say Dredd as well. I went in expecting violence and camp, and was not disappointed. Normally I am put off by movies that feel like video games, but there was something so right about the way Dredd pulled it off. I was entertained for the entire movie. If you are on the fence, please watch it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The Core I am pretty sure I saw this one before and forgot, but it's super formulaic and predictable so maybe not. A scientist finds out the world got knocked off its axis, and then conveniently there's a dude who's spent 20 years building the world's biggest black dickship. They drill into the center of the earth and play Snake, there are tribulations, some people die who you expected to, the world is saved. I gave it 3 stars mostly due to the actors, otherwise less. Fun movie for kids.

Dachimawa Lee Austin Powers: Korean style. This is a surprisingly sly movie that pokes fun at a lot of genre tropes. It's also terribly dumb, like Austin Powers, so it may not be for everyone. I can't really remember the plot, except that Lee is a secret agent who's trying to rescue a golden buddha statue. Worth a watch.

Who is Harry Nillson? (And Why is Everybody Talkin' 'bout him?) Biography of Harry Nillson, the "Lime & the Coconut song" guy. Turns out I knew jack poo poo about this guy's work, and he actually wrote and sang most of the songs I thought were my favorite Beatles songs, as a kid. A real rock and roll tragedy story about being too wrapped up in one's own head, there's a great deal of in-depth discussion of the circumstances and backstories to his songs and what was going on during the times when he was recording certain albums. This is a tear-jerker, the part with his first son where the kid says, "It's ironic that the story of his dad in '1941', that's exactly what he did to my mom and me," absolutely killed me.

G-Men From Hell There are some feds. They get killed. They come back and do some stuff. I lasted about 10 minutes, it was really terribly low budget, and I couldn't sit through it even though I was totally zombified at 4am. :catstare:

Dog Pound for some reason I thought this was a British juvvie drama, but it's set in like Montana or Colorado. Pretty standard kids fighting kids in juvvie hall, it starts off brutal and graphic, and some of the beatings are on the level of (a personal favorite) "Bad Boys'" cokes-in-a-pillowcase scene. The circumstances behind what goes wrong later in the movie are really tragic, yet there is not any closure on the matter. Very good movie, although there's a :trigger: rape scene, a guy gets an eye gouged out, and your standard bullying fare from prison-type movies.

Dawn of the Dragon Slayer a farm boy is real dumb. His dad dies, he goes off and continues to act dumb. There's a bad CGI dragon, a gorgeous female lead, a noble rear end in a top hat as a foil, and a suprisingly nasty mean old man. Standard training montage swords and sorcery with light romance, but darker than most stuff you see these days. Pretty solid if almost entirely predictable.

The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption Ron Perlman is a king who hires a disappointingly-skinny replacement for The Rock's previous character role. The Scorpion King mostly makes a lot of lousy wisecracks, befriends a big drunken fat guy, goes on an adventure, is double-crossed, makes wisecracks, then is triple-crossed, then ninjas (and more wisecracking), then hot chick ninjas, some awkward romantic scenes, wisecracking, and then undead hot chick ninja witches. Finally there's a climactic scene with a very saucy Billy Zane mostly keeping the movie to a watchably entertaining level. If not for Billy Zane I'd deem it unwatchable, since the usually show-saving Ron Perlman has maybe 5-10 minutes of screen-time, total, and since most of the quips are very much on the level of .

Retro42 posted:

Don't know if they have been mentioned yet but Tai Chi Zero and it's sequel Tai Chi Hero are both on instant. Good films if you want a fun martial arts flick.
I really enjoyed both however, the second was obviously a lead-up to a third movie, and I expect that they'll be pretty much going Universal Soldier at that point.

Deadite posted:

It has been a while, but in the book doesn't the man watch other travelers roast and eat a baby?
If I recall correctly from the novel, he encounters a group of folks (a couple/few men and a pregnant woman) and then later comes across their campfire, with the leftovers of supper.

I personally didn't bother trying to finish watching The Road, the entire thing with like Charlize Theron or whoever, was really dumb, and turned the whole movie into a sob story flashback romance. Which was weird because The Woman was barely even a character in the novel, and was written very purposefully to be that way. I stopped watching after like 40 minutes, and have little interest in seeing the rest.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Sep 4, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Season 4 of The League just went up on instant.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
4400 is up on Netflix. It starts off mediocre, but then gets pretty unwatchable after the first two seasons. It was also cancelled and ends in multiple cliffhangers leaving the entire underlying plot of the movie unresolved. You should stop watching before it gets to that though. It's like the writers try to implement a bunch of formulaic tv tropes, but are half committed to each one.

Hell on Wheels is pretty great though. I put off watching this for a while, not even sure I was going to. The description makes it sound like it revolves around one protagonist looking for his wife's killers, but it's really about the building of the railroad. "Hell on Wheels" is what they call the base camp of workers, building the tracks. I really can't recommend it enough.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Blood for Dracula was recently added and if you haven't seen it you owe it to yourself. It's an andy warhol produced bit of madness starring Udo Kier as Dracula.

Chef Tony
Jun 13, 2005

The Miracle Blade will stay sharp the first time, the fourth time, everytime!
I almost watched Long Way Round in one sitting because it was good. Long Way Round is a 9 episode documentary where actors Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman travel from London to New York City on motorcycles. There's also the sequel Long Way Down where they go from Scotland to South Africa, I haven't watched it yet but I'm sure it's just as good.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It's fantastic.

I watched The Road while home sick last year, while watching my son sleep off his own flu, which made everything in the movie affect me more in this hazy, dreamlike quality. When you are a father it really hits you hard too, watching the father and son try their hardest to survive no matter what. It didn't help that my wife always tells me when we watch post-apocalypse movies that she would just pull a Charlize Theron and give up and die. And I always have the same argument that Viggo Mortenson had in the movie, and ask her what about us.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
That made it more effective for me. I'm not a Man, I'm a Woman. We feel so bleak when we watch it because we are supposed to be able to place ourselves in the characters' shoes, and it's much easier for women to do it as a Woman - particularly because women bear unique burdens and dangers in the postapocalypse. You can't go get reliable birth control, so :nms:when you're raped, if you survive you will probably die of sepsis, your baby will have massive birth defects from the radiation and lack of nutrition if it survives to term, and your hormones during pregnancy will make you feel a thousand times worse about living in a hellscape, etc.. :nms: McCarthy's audience is more geared towards men and he's a man, he's going to have the most power when he relates the fears that would drive him most. Men don't fear rape in the way that women fear it. That's fine in a novel. When you translate an excellent novel to an excellent movie, you now have the benefit of collaboration from actors and screenwriters. You can bring the story to women more effectively. I thought Theron did a great job with it, and I don't know if I would have been able to take it if it hadn't been presented in flashback.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

MacGowans Teeth posted:

I watched this, fell asleep in the middle, and then watched the rest with no loving clue what was going on. Something about an amulet and evidently a lot of naked women. And yeah, a very rapey movie.

The topless barbarian woman who shows up at the beginning so that Deathstalker can gently caress her is the same woman Phil Spector shot. I thought she looked familiar.

Whatever you do don't watch Barbarian Queen by the same people starring the poor lady who was murdered. Take the awkward sex stuff and make it more uncomfortable and you get Barbarian Queen. On the other hand, there's a film which used to be on Netflix called She which is similair erotic junk fantasy adventure but it was strange enough to be entertaining.

Odd film overall

I watched the MST3k of Deathstalker 3 recently,which isn't on netflix, and it manages to be even less coherant than the first one. I kinda hope Netflix puts up the second Deathstalker at some point because it just looks hilarious.

hemale in pain has a new favorite as of 01:44 on Sep 5, 2013

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

particle409 posted:

4400 is up on Netflix. It starts off mediocre, but then gets pretty unwatchable after the first two seasons. It was also cancelled and ends in multiple cliffhangers leaving the entire underlying plot of the movie unresolved. You should stop watching before it gets to that though. It's like the writers try to implement a bunch of formulaic tv tropes, but are half committed to each one.

I tried watching that, and had to stop mid episode about some Rwandan doctor or something, who had done horrible things, but the powers he got after he came back were used to save babies that would have died otherwise. All he was doing was trying to redeem himself, and the "hero" of the show was such a oval office to him the entire time. The entire drat city was. They weren't even in Africa! Like, one person knew who he was and was effected by what he'd done, but the entire loving city wants him dead. They did a really bad job of justifying how everyone acted in that episode.

I stopped watching Farscape during an episode where everyone was an rear end in a top hat for no reason, too. Maybe I have a problem with that.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I haven't seen a thread that encompasses all streaming media, so let me just say that HBOGo has added a loving great lineup this month (or week, I don't really know how often they update).

Just added movies include:

American History X
The Blues Brothers
Courage Under Fire
The Great Outdoors
The Island (I know a lot of people didn't like this movie, but I thought it was fun)
Les Miserable
Mars Attacks
Life of Pi
The Mighty Ducks
Rumble In the Bronx
Spy Game

Some of these might have been available for a little while, but most (I think) have just been added this month. I'm going to watch Mars Attacks like 30 times in the next 4 days. I need help.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Chef Tony posted:

I almost watched Long Way Round in one sitting because it was good. Long Way Round is a 9 episode documentary where actors Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman travel from London to New York City on motorcycles. There's also the sequel Long Way Down where they go from Scotland to South Africa, I haven't watched it yet but I'm sure it's just as good.

Seconding these two - but I would actually watch them in reverse order. Long Way Down doesn't live up to Long Way Round due to scheduling errors on their part (they had to cover A LOT more ground each day in this trip, so there is far less of the cool side stories and adventures in the different countries they visit) but they are both still worth a watch. Watching these made me miss my motorcycle a ton, which is unfortunately across the ocean from me.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I loved Long Way Round with its documentary feel, but Long Way Down is like Teen Mom-level reality tv. Instead of footage of beautiful landscapes, motorcycles, interactions with locals, etc. you get lots of footage of the two whining, crying and fighting.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
I'm trying to imagine how that meshes with the inevitable scene of Ewan getting his tackle out.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
If you enjoy Samurai movies and/or Westerns, you will probably enjoy:

The Good, The Bad, The Weird
A South Korean-made Western set in 1930s Manchuria, it is (very) loosely based on The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Fantastic production values and pretty drat funny in parts, it's a must watch.

The Warrior's Way
South Korea / New Zealand-made East Meets Western where a rogue Ninja flees to America after failing to carry out his mission. He hides in a nearly-ghost town that has been built largely by circusfolk, and becomes the town drycleaner. I swear it's not as racist as it sounds. It stars Tony Cox as a dwarf Ringmaster who inexplicably has an 8 painted on his head and Geoffrey Rush as the town drunk. Also there's an insane rapist Colonel that the Ninja has to defend the town from and the final duel takes place among falling petals, despite being in the middle of the desert.

Bunraku
American-made EMW set in post-apocalyptic Russia. Josh Hartnett is a cowboy without a gun, Gackt is a samurai without a sword, and Woody Harrelson is a bartender with a tragic past and a penchant for making pop-up books. Together, they must team up to defeat the Big Bad Ron Perlman for ~reasons~. Fantastic visuals all throughout, incredible colours, and the scene transitions are amazing. It has the feel of a movie, a play, and a comic book all at the same time.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Edminster posted:

The Good, The Bad, The Weird
A South Korean-made Western set in 1930s Manchuria, it is (very) loosely based on The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Fantastic production values and pretty drat funny in parts, it's a must watch.

I second this motion. Definitely a Must Watch.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Edminster posted:

Bunraku
American-made EMW set in post-apocalyptic Russia. Josh Hartnett is a cowboy without a gun, Gackt is a samurai without a sword, and Woody Harrelson is a bartender with a tragic past and a penchant for making pop-up books. Together, they must team up to defeat the Big Bad Ron Perlman for ~reasons~. Fantastic visuals all throughout, incredible colours, and the scene transitions are amazing. It has the feel of a movie, a play, and a comic book all at the same time.
This was really stylish and visually interesting, but at the same time, I couldn't finish it because as a movie, it was completely loving terrible. Close to Deathstalker-terrible.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
That is exactly how I felt about John Dies at the End. The first half of that movie is great and then.... what? Visually I enjoyed it though.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Any respectable fan of found-footage horror movies should watch the first seventy minutes or so of Apollo 18, shut the screen off, and imagine their own personal ending. It takes such a massive nosedive when it starts having no qualms about showing the 'scary' things in full, as opposed to blurry and poorly lit, and the ending of the movie makes it completely impossible for the footage in question to have been found.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is Netflix ever going to get the final season of 30 Rock? I remember there were a lot of predictions it would be up this summer based on when the other seasons went up, but still nothin'. I want to see how it ends. :smith:

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

MacGowans Teeth posted:

This was really stylish and visually interesting, but at the same time, I couldn't finish it because as a movie, it was completely loving terrible. Close to Deathstalker-terrible.

I thought that too, I really had trouble getting through Bunraku.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is Netflix ever going to get the final season of 30 Rock? I remember there were a lot of predictions it would be up this summer based on when the other seasons went up, but still nothin'. I want to see how it ends. :smith:

It'll probably go up with the last season of The Office and the most recent Parks & Rec. So hopefully soon? :ohdear:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FadingChord posted:

It'll probably go up with the last season of The Office and the most recent Parks & Rec. So hopefully soon? :ohdear:

Your avatar reminded me I'm also still waiting on Season 8 of It's Always Sunny. Dammit, Netflix, get on this poo poo.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Deadite posted:

That is exactly how I felt about John Dies at the End. The first half of that movie is great and then.... what?

So, just like book.

Watched Antiviral, and it was a movie. To me it seemed intentionally obscure to give the illusion of depth but there really is very little to it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Watched Bad Samaritans which was a netflix original show that came out earlier this year. It was alright. Only five episodes so you can get through the whole thing pretty quick if you're interested.

wormil posted:

Watched Antiviral, and it was a movie. To me it seemed intentionally obscure to give the illusion of depth but there really is very little to it.

Looked it up and apparently it was directed by David Cronenberg's son. Curious to see if the apple falls far from the tree.

Gaunab has a new favorite as of 06:22 on Sep 8, 2013

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

wormil posted:

I don't agree with 'obscure' at all. It seemed like really straightforward body horror sci-fi with a slightly pretentious message about celebrity worship. It makes its point in the first 5 minutes of the film.

Anybody who gets grossed out by medical stuff (surgery shows or the like) should be warned though. My stomach definitely turned a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

wormil posted:

So, just like book.

What did you think of Videodrome?

Edit: Aww poo poo, Videodrome isn't streaming anymore.

Edit2: Huh, this is weird. Search "Example Short VI 23976 Remote Content" It's some sort of stock footage.

Tardcore has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Sep 8, 2013

• Locked thread