Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Well I finished what will probably be the last time I take a single character through all three games, all the dlc and every optional mission. I'm still not tired of it, but now I know that it's over I think it's time to let it go (until whatever bioware makes next comes out).

The final song in Citadel stands for me now as the end of the trilogy - "Farewell and Into the Inevitable". There's nothing about citadel that wasn't great, and the music (hell, even the name of the music!) sums up the game and the experience of playing the game. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

lenoon posted:

Well I finished what will probably be the last time I take a single character through all three games, all the dlc and every optional mission. I'm still not tired of it, but now I know that it's over I think it's time to let it go (until whatever bioware makes next comes out).

The final song in Citadel stands for me now as the end of the trilogy - "Farewell and Into the Inevitable". There's nothing about citadel that wasn't great, and the music (hell, even the name of the music!) sums up the game and the experience of playing the game. :unsmith:

I'll never say I'll never play the trilogy again, but I think Citadel had a great way to help you end the series for yourself. I keep saves of that DLC just to go back and enjoy myself. This trilogy will probably be what I tell people is my favorite series for the forseable future. A close runner-up: Saints Row.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Just finished the extended cut. The epilogue was nice, but I'll have to say, the Normandy evac scene was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a video game.

Smol fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 6, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That is true, one of the most powerful frigates of the fleet breaks off to evacuate 2 people. And they clearly have surplus soldiers on board, as we see. So... why did they not fly this close to the beam and drop the people there so they can get onto the Citadel??

But the game is still really great, it is a shame that the ending sucked so much. The Citadel DLC is so much fun, Glyph with a bow tie! I still cannot believe how much I love the combat, in contrast to the Dragon Age games, even though I am a huge Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale fan. For all the talk that your actions are meaningless in the end, you have much more influence over the lives of your crew members and even whole species than you ever had about the psychopaths that made up your party in Dragon Age 2. And the romances were acceptable, too (for a video game). I just hope that Bioware implements some of the more fun aspects of ME3 in Dragon Age 3.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 12, 2013

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I just realized that the one thing missing from Citadel was when you're landing the Normandy back in the docks amid all the cop cars at the end, Anderson/Udina/Bailey should have met you as the ramp dropped, yelling about how much you cost the department.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I was going through ME3 again with my mostly renegade, reasonable but not-indulging-Liara-in-her-crap Shep to play through the Citadel DLC since I haven't gotten around to it yet. It wasn't as bad as I remembered it, in terms of railroading Shepard into being a sadsack. It certainly means you can't be totally paragon and still have a spine, but you do have the option to say that you're not devastated every three seconds if you don't mind being renegade. Plus if you had the loyalty of all your crew there are minimal casualties.

It's really not the worst game. If there were no dream sequences, Kai Leng, or the entire Crucible thing, I'd be happy. I mean everyone is in awe at Shepard's ability to unite the people of the galaxy, so why did the writers have to hinge the whole thing on the magic button of mystery? Why couldn't it have been a matter of the whole being better than the sum of its parts? Just bugs me that the rest of the game is pretty much unnecessary (who cares if we have Turian or Krogan support? Just get the Salarians to build the death ray). :(

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The turians and krogans are there so that there are people still alive when the crucible is done.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elysiume posted:

The turians and krogans are there so that there are people still alive when the crucible is done.

Exactly. While you can always choose the "destroy" ending, the differences between two games can be huge. Did you save the Geth over the Quarians? Well, they are both destroyed now. Did you cure the genophage but Eve and Wrex are dead? Welcome to the new Krogan wars. Also, with low military power Earth is destroyed in the process, and you cannot even choose all of the options. Depending on the choices the player makes, even with the same ending the galaxy can look very different from playthrough to playthrough. I don't see how the rest of the game can be considered unnecessary.

I just thought about Baldur's Gate, surely some of the best RPGs of all times. But in the ending of Throne of Baal you simply choose via text option (after beating the final boss) if you want to become a god or not. Does this also make the game before unnecessary? The ending of ME3 was handled badly, and before the extended cut it was also pretty confusing, but saying it invalidated all you did before is just wrong.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 12, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Wrex's stim pack power had to be bugged in a similar way too, he would just spam it constantly as soon as he saw any enemies until he ran out of grenades (also rendering his other grenade power useless because he never has grenades). Like the AI couldn't detect that the buff was applied and it should stop activating the power so it just keeps trying. I always thought it was an odd power choice and a poor thematic fit for him anyway and he should have had an offensive biotic power like warp or throw instead.

Wrex really should have had just four instances of Biotic Charge and his passive.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I think I'm stuck in Grissom Academy. I get to the point where you have to trigger the door override to move on to the next area after Orion Hall and...

There's nothing there where the override should be. I've tried restarting the mission 3 times and still nothing. Do I have to start over and just skip Grissom? :sigh:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Did you activate that one laptop in the room tucked away on some some random couch/bench already? I think that's the same spot you're talking about.

Sorry if that doesn't help. I just remember getting stuck in there for like 10 minutes once cause I kept overlooking that thing while sweeping the room looking for the doors controls.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I think I'm stuck in Grissom Academy. I get to the point where you have to trigger the door override to move on to the next area after Orion Hall and...

There's nothing there where the override should be. I've tried restarting the mission 3 times and still nothing. Do I have to start over and just skip Grissom? :sigh:

Are you looking for the right override? There are two in that room.

If that's a no-go, go back to your last save. A trigger disappeared for me once in LotSB, but it returned once I reloaded a recent save. It shouldn't be necessary to skip the mission altogether.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I abandoned this game due to hearing about the terrible endings. Why bother if the payout is crap? An NES-style "A Winner is You" screen of text is better than whatever ending Bioware shitted out. But then I discovered the Happy Ending Mod, and it got me playing again. The mod pretty much fixed my main complaint about the game and now I'm happily shooting Cerberus dudes in the face again.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 8, 2013

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I think everything the Extended Cut did that wasn't exposition or the epilogue slides made the ending worse with the Normandy coming to evacuate your squadmates being the worst. And in any case, the problem with the ending isn't that it's too bleak.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Is there a mod that bypasses the requirement to play multiplayer to boost your readiness rating? Multiplayer is fun and all, but I'd rather not be forced to play it.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 8, 2013

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

There there a mod that bypasses the requirement to play multiplayer to boost your readiness rating? Multiplayer is fun and all, but I'd rather not be forced to play it.
The requirements for the endings were lowered a long time ago, effectivly removing the need to play the multiplayer part in order to achieve the best endings.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

You don't need one. The requirement for the "best" ending is 3100 EMS, which should be easy to obtain. If you really need to boost it, you can do it easily with the save editor.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Starhawk64 posted:

There there a mod that bypasses the requirement to play multiplayer to boost your readiness rating? Multiplayer is fun and all, but I'd rather not be forced to play it.

The expanded ending DLC also lowered the readiness thresholds that have impact on the endings. It shouldn't be an issue any more (assuming you are importing a character that has been through the previous games. I can't speak to importless runs, as I've never done one).

Edit: Bah! :argh:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Ah, I see. I haven't touched this game in a long while, as you can see. :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And I suggest you get the Citadel DLC, it is fantastic.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Torrannor posted:

And I suggest you get the Citadel DLC, it is fantastic.

Heard good things about it, but the thought of giving EA and Bioware any more money for this game makes me shudder.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Starhawk64 posted:

Heard good things about it, but the thought of giving EA and Bioware any more money for this game makes me shudder.
Say what you will about the rest of ME3, but BioWare are completely deserving of every buck they make on Citadel. It's like a huge (it just keeps going and going) love-letter to both ME's characters and its fanbase, and does a near-perfect job of saying goodbye to the series.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

I finally played through the extended ending. It's better now, or at least not actively annoying, but I still don't understand the basic premise of synthetic life always destroying organic life. Why couldn't I tell the Starchild about EDI and the Geth? Their presence seems to disprove that premise entirely.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I honestly just went with the assumption that it strictly follows the letter of its' mission, not the spirit; in other words, even with the Geth situation resolved peacefully, it still assumes that conflict between synthetic and organic life is always an inevitability, and (as we see from the Refuse ending) it is not willing to listen to anything that refutes its' assumptions.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I'm pretty sure that the lesson we should take away from ME3 is "Don't give kids (especially non-corporeal ones that can't be held accountable to their actions) unlimited power. Because they are kids and do stupid things."

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Shepard should have just had the Boss from Saint's Row DDT the little bastard.

The Saints have time travel at the end of the forth game due to taking over an alien empire. They possibly have dimensional travel as well. Who's to say if they don't do a little dimension hopping and end up in other games' universes?

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 8, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nah, we should've gotten the option to combine the Control and Destroy endings (in that order) while some fitting music played in the background as we get to see all of the Reapers getting blown up. :haw:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Smol posted:

I think everything the Extended Cut did that wasn't exposition or the epilogue slides made the ending worse with the Normandy coming to evacuate your squadmates being the worst. And in any case, the problem with the ending isn't that it's too bleak.
Everyone gets all up the in extended cut's face about the Normandy rescuing your squadmates implausibly, but nobody seemed to mind the exact same thing happening at the start of the game, when a Reaper shot down a bunch of little shuttles that were trying to leave but didn't pay any attention to the gigantic frigate Shepard was standing in nearby. Just think of the Normandy's intervention at the end as a narrative bookend.

Pinball posted:

I finally played through the extended ending. It's better now, or at least not actively annoying, but I still don't understand the basic premise of synthetic life always destroying organic life. Why couldn't I tell the Starchild about EDI and the Geth? Their presence seems to disprove that premise entirely.
I don't really mind their motivation, it's fine for a crazy computer that fell into some weird logical/semantic trap; the problem with the Reapers is that in the end it isn't really portrayed as a crazy computer; I thought Shepard's response options should have been more like "that's crazy" rather than "well, I mean, that's not very nice"

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Pinball posted:

I finished the game for the first time recently, and my thought at the time is that the explanation of the reaping cycle was an exact parallel of the genophage. The Reaper AI decided that the future was untenable because of its calculations, and imposed its order on beings with free will without allowing them to work it out for themselves. It even actively subverted geth culture to make them into omnicidal killing machines. It simply doesn't allow itself to be proved wrong because it regularly wipes out all the players and says, "Well, bad things would have happened."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Pinball posted:

If they had actually been able to do multiple endings (not just color variations) there should have been a "happy" ending when you did everything right. Saved Quarians and Geth? Starkid would say "welp it looks like y'all have this all worked out so we don't have to keep up with this reaping poo poo." Genophage cured and Wrex and Bakara alive? Sweet, no 2nd Krogan rebellions. Shep gets to go home, put up her feet and drink with her buddies since like Garrus says, they're rich off the royalties from the vids.

Basically we got millions of dead civilizations because Leviathan's people are lovely programmers :v:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

I abandoned this game due to hearing about the terrible endings. Why bother if the payout is crap? An NES-style "A Winner is You" screen of text is better than whatever ending Bioware shitted out. But then I discovered the Happy Ending Mod, and it got me playing again. The mod pretty much fixed my main complaint about the game and now I'm happily shooting Cerberus dudes in the face again.

Really? This thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dolmJZ0ZvU

This thing is so loving terrible it's hilarious.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

C'mon, guys. The Starchild's reasoning isn't literally about robots and humans fighting each other. The Rannoch resolution is poor writing that confuses and obfuscates, but the core conflict actually has very little to do with organics or synthetics.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Veotax posted:

Really? This thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dolmJZ0ZvU

This thing is so loving terrible it's hilarious.

Yeah, if you need a happy ending that badly, just rationalize that if Shepard survived despite synthetic implants, EDI and the Geth could also be reactivated. There, happy ending. (This also works well for the Alien franchise, which really ends with Ripley becoming Newt's new mommy and everybody getting rich by suing the pants off Weyland-Yutani.)

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

So then... the core conflict is that organics will always destroy themselves? I dunno, our cycle was doing pretty well there before they showed up.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Lt. Danger posted:

C'mon, guys. The Starchild's reasoning isn't literally about robots and humans fighting each other. The Rannoch resolution is poor writing that confuses and obfuscates, but the core conflict actually has very little to do with organics or synthetics.

The more I've thought about the ending, the more I've thought of it as the reliance on (obsession with) technology/progress is what the reapers were "protecting" organics as a whole against. Creativity and innovation aren't rewarded in the long-term. The species who are safe are the ones content with what they have (or without the technology to seem otherwise yet).

It's as if they're saying "you can't fight fire with fire; our fire is better", which is why you can't get a "good" ending.

It kind of feels like an echo of the dark ages.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Cobalt Chloride posted:

So then... the core conflict is that organics will always destroy themselves? I dunno, our cycle was doing pretty well there before they showed up.

No, the core conflict was that the Leviathans decided that they didn't want to have worry about their meatsims killing themselves off with killer death robots. Can't control killer death robots with mind control because they don't have minds maaaaaaan. :v:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Maybe it's just me but it looks like you're pointing a gun at a photocopier.

Is there enough toner in the device?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Gnome de plume posted:

Maybe it's just me but it looks like you're pointing a gun at a photocopier.

Is there enough toner in the device?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rick_Hunter posted:

No, the core conflict was that the Leviathans decided that they didn't want to have worry about their meatsims killing themselves off with killer death robots. Can't control killer death robots with mind control because they don't have minds maaaaaaan. :v:

This. The whole Reaper thing what not some genius plan to save organic life from synthetics that went awry, it was a program designed to protect the organic slaves/vassals of the Leviathans against synthetics, because robots wiping out their creators was happening often enough to annoy the Leviathans. It was constructed as just another tool of the Leviathans to secure their reign, and the fact that the program went rogue and killed it's own masters (the irony!) tells you all about how coherent the logic of the Catalist really is. Harvesting organic civilizations is not protecting them, their members are not even digitalized so they have some kind of pseudo-life, they are turned into a Reaper! And said Reapers are risked in military conflicts, with each big Reaper destroyed being the destruction of a whole species if you followed the Catalists's logic. You should disregard all words of the Catalist as ramblings of a malfunctioning AI.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Torrannor posted:

This. The whole Reaper thing what not some genius plan to save organic life from synthetics that went awry, it was a program designed to protect the organic slaves/vassals of the Leviathans against synthetics, because robots wiping out their creators was happening often enough to annoy the Leviathans. It was constructed as just another tool of the Leviathans to secure their reign, and the fact that the program went rogue and killed it's own masters (the irony!) tells you all about how coherent the logic of the Catalist really is. Harvesting organic civilizations is not protecting them, their members are not even digitalized so they have some kind of pseudo-life, they are turned into a Reaper! And said Reapers are risked in military conflicts, with each big Reaper destroyed being the destruction of a whole species if you followed the Catalists's logic. You should disregard all words of the Catalist as ramblings of a malfunctioning AI.

That would work if it wasn't for Synthesis and how it's presented as not only working (mechanically, which is an entirely separate clusterfuck), but as being the ultimate and totally viable and happy ending, peaceful solution to the "problem" the Catalyst describes, thereby giving credence to the Catalyst's ramblings :shepicide:

• Locked thread