Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
One writer remarked that "When Mickey Mouse sits down to tap out his memoirs, we bet the title page will be set in Waltograph."[2] Like the informal font Comic Sans, Waltograph gets rave reviews from many, but not all audiences.[3] [4]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
lie

nobody has ever given comic sans a rave review. nobody. ever.

k now let's sperg about comic sans for a page like everytime it gets mentionned on sa because this time it'll be interesting

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sentences in Simlish

All of these phrases are from The Sims, not The Sims 2.

Male Sims speaking - "Homina blastima."
Female Sims speaking - "Enama polap."
Child Sims speaking "Sizzaza Za." and "The sungoos keekaf terweek."
Female Sims playing arcade games - "Itwack, itcack."
Adult Sims speaking on the telephone - "A beboo."
Child Sims calling "Yabba doochia" when going to get on the bus.
Adult male Sims saying goodbye: "Mal-Mal."

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

FrozenVent posted:

"Yabba doochia"

the gently caress you just call me?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A Pinball Wizard posted:

the gently caress you just call me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxyW6AJ-yIk

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

FrozenVent posted:

Female Sims speaking - "Enema prolapse."

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

sports posted:

Just be happy you don't look like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Holkins
when you're 37 earth years in

whoa it's the penguin

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Big_Mac

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
found something semi-relevant to the thread, then had to catch up on posts, then got distracted by erotic art in pompeii, which led to the brassiere article, so now you get two things

quote:

The band name "Cowboy Mouth" usually means "One with a loud and
raucous voice".[1] The nucleus of the band formed in the 1990s, and
they have become a powerhouse live act whose performances have been
likened to "a religious experience."[2]

quote:

Many women mistakenly believe bras prevent breasts from sagging. In fact, breasts naturally sag as a woman ages, depending on her breast size and other factors. Some researchers have found evidence that wearing a bra may actually contribute to sagging because they weaken the supporting ligaments.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:yum:

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Sham bam bamina! posted:

people who haven't actually read shakespeare are always so surprised when they find out that he had a sense of humor :allears:

it's part of why his works are such classics in the first place hth

no poo poo, shakespeare wrote brilliant dialogue and a lot of his best stuff was sick burns

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

people who haven't actually read shakespeare are always so surprised when they find out that he had a sense of humor :allears:

it's part of why his works are such classics in the first place hth

To be fair it's because they were stuck reading the over-rated dramas like Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet and possibly bowdlerized while reading none of the comedies.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the problem is that shakespeare is portrayed as this high class stuffy thing for rich people to get dressed up to go see. if they taught people that shakespeare's plays (many of them anyway) were basically popular entertainment for crude lower-class folks, with people yelling at the stage and throwing poo poo and snack vendors walking up and down the stands and livestock auctions just outside, and dudes in drag playing all the female parts, they would understand it better.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

the problem is that shakespeare is portrayed as this high class stuffy thing for rich people to get dressed up to go see. if they taught people that shakespeare's plays (many of them anyway) were basically popular entertainment for crude lower-class folks, with people yelling at the stage and throwing poo poo and snack vendors walking up and down the stands and livestock auctions just outside, and dudes in drag playing all the female parts, they would understand it better.

i was lucky to have a high school english teacher with a genuine enthusiasm for shakespeare that made it kinda interesting to us pubescent jerkoffs

but yeah, i didn't really feel how awesome shakes was until i decided to read him on my own time years after i was out of school

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
don't read shakespeare, watch it

with good actors.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Install Windows posted:

with good actors.

well, yeah, absolutely

but when that's not an option, go ahead and read it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

with good actors.

sure if you like listening to people speak at twice the normal rate of speech

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

syscall girl posted:

sure if you like listening to people speak at twice the normal rate of speech

"hrmery i should totally read this paly script instead of seeing it acted like the playwright intended"

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Install Windows posted:

"hrmery i should totally read this paly script instead of seeing it acted like the playwright intended"

yes lol sociopaths speaking in poor cockney accents is what shakespeare really intended

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
no i get it, i've been to a shakespearean festival and it's fun but i was a kid and didn't get all the language

also, if you have an imagination you can read words on a page and it will sort of come to life inside your head

or so i've heard

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

sports posted:

yes lol sociopaths speaking in poor cockney accents is what shakespeare really intended

i said good actors

sports
Sep 1, 2012
english accents and inflection have changed a ton since the elizabethan era

and so has a ton of the humor and connotation of his words- we need historians to explain that for us

anyways shakespeare's real output was in sonnets and you should memorize a couple i guess

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

syscall girl posted:

also, if you have an imagination you can read words on a page and it will sort of come to life inside your head

or so i've heard

remember, you're talking to the smartest kid in america, here.

sports posted:

english accents and inflection have changed a ton since the elizabethan era

and so has a ton of the humor and connotation of his words- we need historians to explain that for us

anyways shakespeare's real output was in sonnets and you should memorize a couple i guess

m'lady

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

idk i like his plays more than his poems

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

good actors doing shakespeare doesn't sound like Actors Doing Shakespeare

if they're going for Serious Shakespeare it can be really bad. you want actors who can play it big and have fun, but avoid full camp.

of course its better if you have the context so read the annotated play before you go see a show

titus andronicus is fuckin hardcore

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

update shakespeare and you miss the point entirely

perform the original text and no-one in the audience has a clue what the gently caress your saying

gj being old and dead dickhead

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bodyarmor.jpg

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'm the NRA cert

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
is it okay if i read Shakespeare but not in the original english but a translation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what if im not interested in anything thats not cold hard facts? what does shakespeare leave me with then? w-o-r-t-h-l-e-e-e-e-s

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

what if im not interested in anything thats not cold hard farts?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god remember cakefarts.com

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Call Now posted:

is it okay if i read Shakespeare but not in the original english but a translation

you have not experienced shakespeare until you have read him in the original klingon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i heard only homos are into shakespeare do you have any comment?

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

i heard only homos are into shakespeare do you have any comment?

shakespeare appeals to people of all sexual orientations including many homosexuals well i hope this answers your question

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
money money says bill what the hell
is money what i want is to be
a poet not a business man
these damned cheap shows
i turn out to keep the
theatre running break my heart
slap stick comedies and
blood and thunder tragedies
and melodramas say i wonder
if that boy heard you order
another bottle frankie
the only compensation is that i get
a chance now and then
to stick in a little poetry
when nobody is looking
but hells bells that isn t
what i want to do
i want to write sonnets and
songs and spenserian stanzas
and i might have done it too
if i hadn t got
into this frightful show game
business business business
grind grind grind
what a life for a man
that might have been a poet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

birdlaw posted:

shakespeare appeals to people of all sexual orientations including many homosexuals well i hope this answers your question

sorry the point of my question was to infer that you are all gay. it was essentially rhetorical

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

sorry the point of my question was to infer that you are all gay. it was essentially rhetorical

i think it would be statistically improbable for every poster to be homosexual sorry echonposis

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

schools making 13yr olds go line by line through some boring play like julius caeser or the tempest probably turns more people off shakespeare that the dated jokes or lame "...and then everyone died" endings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sweevo posted:

schools making 13yr olds go line by line through some boring play like julius caeser or the tempest probably turns more people off shakespeare that the dated jokes or lame "...and then everyone died" endings

this is super-correct. schools can suck the fun out of almost anything if they're not careful

on the other hand, a good teacher can make stuff really good even when it wouldn't be on its own