Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Brain In A Jar posted:

Help, I made a melee DPS build and I have fun playing it in Elites but I'm worried people are going to Get Mad if I keep using it.

I am a firm supporter of melee in dungeon encounters, it is exciting and keeps you on your toes. With that said it has a narrow margin of error, especially in later elites and nightmare dungeons. My suggestion is to have a second build that uses the generic cookie cutter pistol and shotgun and if your group gives you poo poo about being melee and that if you cause a wipe or can not do respectable dps you will switch to it. Maybe throw in the repair bill if you do cause a wipe.

The only fights that might be more difficult are Hell Raised 6 (Machine Tyrant), Ankh 5 and 6 (Malothet). They just require gimmicks and familiarity with the fights.

Cheston posted:

Fun Fact about the end of Issue 8:

When Lilith traps you in that green orb in Agartha, she's just using a ring on her finger. Fits with the whole "her only magic is manipulation" thing.

I don't get the impression that Lilith has much magic, if any. Most of what I have gathered and conclusions drawn are that she was heavy into science during the First Age and got her immortality through that, as well as creating some of the nasty races like Vamps and Were-woofs (Which might of been created not to be evil servants but shock troops against the Jinn and Ghouls). But she wanted magic, at least the power it represents, and that's what eventually caused her to murder Cucuveas sister.

Unrelated Edit: New Directors letter.
Golden weekend with another guardian starts soon (tomorrow).
And words about augments and scenarios that don't tell us anything except they will take time to players to finish the content completely. The nightmare scenarios are geared towards 10.5 geared players.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know it's spergy of me but couldn't they have renamed the letter to the September letter? Unless Joel lives in some weird rear end timeline which I guess could explain how the game was broken for months, he probably only saw it as a day.

Edit: What's the over/under on there still not being a price point on scenarios?

Len fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 5, 2013

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I was poking around in the store just to see what was available for how much, and I left a bit confused.

There appears to be two different currencies used in the store, but no explanation as to which one you are buying if you give them money, nor how to get the other one or which one the bonus points count as (pretty sure it's the silver money).

I think you buy the silver also, which leaves me at a loss about the gold (copper? ) currency. Given that all of their income is going to come from the store, you would think the currency system would be clearly explained, but I didn't find anything about it.

Also didn't easily find any reasonable explanation about what you get in the episodes, and if you click on a DLC mission in the game, it takes you to the store, but doesn't seem to give you any clue what you need to buy in order to get the mission you clicked on.

Are they still trying to figure out this online store stuff at issue 7+?

Other than the time accelerater thing and a10% store discount, is there any point to subscriptions?

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
Silver is veteran currency, you're given 10 per month subscribed. The gold is funcom funny money which you can purchase outright or rely on a monthly stipend if subscribed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Marx posted:

Silver is veteran currency, you're given 10 per month subscribed. The gold is funcom funny money which you can purchase outright or rely on a monthly stipend if subscribed.

The devs said on testlive those points are going to be useful soon maybe. They can't say anything yet.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So all the prices and the bonus points are the gold currency. Thanks.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

The Locator posted:

Are they still trying to figure out this online store stuff at issue 7+?

I consider it a pretty big flaw that there still isn't a "BUY ISSUES HERE" tab on the store, yeah.

HughGRect posted:

The nightmare scenarios are geared towards 10.5 geared players.

Woo!

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cheston posted:

I consider it a pretty big flaw that there still isn't a "BUY ISSUES HERE" tab on the store, yeah.

I think the option to auto buy issue's is a quality of life feature granted only to grand masters and subscribers, that's their way of saying thank you "You don't have to navigate our lovely shop to find yo stuff, dawg."

While I am also excited about this, I am also very concerned about their ability to scale content. We should get goons together and test this poo poo when it hits the test server. And complain that it isn't nearly hard enough!

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

The Locator posted:

Other than the time accelerater thing and a10% store discount, is there any point to subscriptions?
There are also free monthly subscriber items, which are clothing items or pets. They're usually not worth it, except for that one time they had the horse mask.

I just subscribe for the months they have new issues. Which was intended to be every month, but Funcom.

Edit: oh yeah, and the Test server is subscriber-only now.

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 5, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zephonith posted:

There are also free monthly subscriber items, which are clothing items or pets. They're usually not worth it, except for that one time they had the horse mask.

I just subscribe for the months they have new issues. Which was intended to be every month, but Funcom.

I don't do this often but in Funcoms defense Ragnar did say monthly content then gently caress off to a different project, then Funcom started slashing staff numbers.

Edit: Joel could have said way sooner than he did that monthly content wasn't going to happen though. But you know how important his insulting the player base is. That takes priority to actually being useful.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

I don't do this often but in Funcoms defense Ragnar did say monthly content then gently caress off to a different project, then Funcom started slashing staff numbers.

Edit: Joel could have said way sooner than he did that monthly content wasn't going to happen though. But you know how important his insulting the player base is. That takes priority to actually being useful.

To be fair: Funcom only started slashing numbers when they had projected TSW getting 1 million+ sales, and it struggled to get to 300k. It significantly missed its sales targets.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

macnbc posted:

To be fair: Funcom only started slashing numbers when they had projected TSW getting 1 million+ sales, and it struggled to get to 300k. It significantly missed its sales targets.

Advertising somewhere would have helped that for sure. If it weren't for these forums I wouldn't have heard about TSW at all.

Edit: The pubbies are doing math to determine which teddy bear you get from the board in issue 7.
http://forums-beta.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=15609

Len fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 5, 2013

Worsted Weight
Oct 13, 2012

Zephonith posted:

Wait, what? When'd that happen? :ohdear:

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Worsted Weight posted:

Wait, what? When'd that happen? :ohdear:

I noticed a couple months ago. It's all the pubbies fault for claiming on the official forums and other sites that you can just do the new content on testlive before it is released, and not have to pay for it.

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk
Regarding store outfits, it looks to me like most of them come as individual pieces. Is this right? So, like, I can pick and choose what parts of the outfit to equip, and don't have to wear the entire thing?

Edit: Oh, and are outfit parts ever sold individually? For example, if an outfit was five individual parts, would they sell each part separately as well?

Bursk fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 6, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Bursk posted:

Regarding store outfits, it looks to me like most of them come as individual pieces. Is this right? So, like, I can pick and choose what parts of the outfit to equip, and don't have to wear the entire thing?

Edit: Oh, and are outfit parts ever sold individually? For example, if an outfit was five individual parts, would they sell each part separately as well?

If the Preview shows individual pieces, then yeah, you receive each individual piece and can wear only the parts that you want. You can't buy any one part of an outfit, though, you have to get the whole thing at once.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Highlights of todays 18s:
A deep discussion about the song Sk8r Boi and the meanings behind it
My take on My Humps
Half of Baby Got Back
And a group sing along of I Will Survive

You guys are missing out.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I've got 30 veteran points from inviting friends in and membership and such. Any tips on what I should get? The reconstructor looks cool. Maybe a dog? I dunno.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

I've got 30 veteran points from inviting friends in and membership and such. Any tips on what I should get? The reconstructor looks cool. Maybe a dog? I dunno.

The reconstructor is the only Veteran item right now that lets you do something unique, but that unique thing is letting you be lazy about repairing, so I'd wait until 1.8 to see if any "must-have" Veteran items come out.

Though if you find yourself in the middle of nowhere with broken gear before 1.8 comes out, by all means, get it.

**Official forums:

quote:

Scenarios will have a couple of options, among which are Difficulty and Group Size. Somewhere in there, players ought to be able to find a sweet spot.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 6, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I made some handy maps for people who missed the anniversary event and need to know where to go for the bosses:

Soloman Island

Egypt

Transylvania

Looks like the new pubbie channel where the boss sightings will be called is '/chat join GildedEvent'.

This event is a good time for lurkers to come back for some unique rewards and new people a chance to make some good AP/SP. Plus, golden tuxedo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

I made some handy maps for people who missed the anniversary event and need to know where to go for the bosses:

Soloman Island

Egypt

Transylvania

Looks like the new pubbie channel where the boss sightings will be called is '/chat join GildedEvent'.

This event is a good time for lurkers to come back for some unique rewards and new people a chance to make some good AP/SP. Plus, golden tuxedo.

They spelled the chat channel right this time! The pubbies are growing up.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Boo, all my stored guardian bags will be further devalued.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Boo, all my stored guardian bags will be further devalued.
Not necessarily, people might remember that they exist again.

HughGRect posted:

Plus, golden tuxedo.
It's... pretty shiny. I'm guessing the glowing golden eyes will be a thing too.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

I wanna see that with a Unicorn Mask.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Give it to me straight: How many of these loving things am I going to have to kill?

Also, is it like the old ones where everyone doing it gets massive, massive framerate drops?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I wanna see that with a Unicorn Mask.

The top hat is a cheevo award.

guppy posted:

Give it to me straight: How many of these loving things am I going to have to kill?

Also, is it like the old ones where everyone doing it gets massive, massive framerate drops?

I don't know. What I do know is that every zone is getting the same big golden guardian and can assume it will have the same mission like during the last event. So with only one mission on a cool down, there shouldn't be hundreds of people at every fight. The event starts in an hour, will let you know the full details then.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 6, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Apparently you have to collect and assemble 6 parts to the Solar Metal Golem. So a minimum of six, I'd imagine.

Also, for all the complaining I was doing earlier about running out of content, today I leech healed my first 18s and tanked a pubbie raid (unsuccessfully), both for the first time. That was fun.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Zephonith posted:

Apparently you have to collect and assemble 6 parts to the Solar Metal Golem. So a minimum of six, I'd imagine.

Also, for all the complaining I was doing earlier about running out of content, today I leech healed my first 18s and tanked a pubbie raid (unsuccessfully), both for the first time. That was fun.

Total of six: Head, Torso, Left and Right arms, Left and Right legs. There is a cheevo when you assemble it to get your top hat. Not sure where the body parts come from, I hope I need to use my chain saw for a sub-1% chance to hack off a limb.

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk

Cheston posted:

If the Preview shows individual pieces, then yeah, you receive each individual piece and can wear only the parts that you want. You can't buy any one part of an outfit, though, you have to get the whole thing at once.

Great, ty :)

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
17.5 million HP. Tons of Lag. Idiot Pubbies...

And Fiery Gold Eyes as a bag reward. Worth it.

This is the Fusang Golem, gimmicks and all. Its just gold now. This is Funcom living up to their promise of people not getting the Fusang pet. AND no cooldown.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 6, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Edit: ^Beautiful, can't wait

Bursk posted:

Great, ty :)
Some of the launch-era outfits have parts that can be bought individually, I thought?

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

thegodofchuck posted:

OK, I haven't played in a while, but did they patch something that screwed up the color palette or the display or...? My characters look like they have gangrene or jaundice...

So, no one had any suggestions and no patches since have done anything and my graphics card drivers are up to date... here's an example... it's hard to play pretty pretty princess when the game looks like this:

smacking everything down to low settings didn't help either. Sigh.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

thegodofchuck posted:

So, no one had any suggestions and no patches since have done anything and my graphics card drivers are up to date... here's an example... it's hard to play pretty pretty princess when the game looks like this:

This actually happened to me once. I have no clue what happened, but I ended up finally reinstalling the entire client and it looked fine again after that. :/

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
So what's the deal with this golden event thing? As a tiny noob that just got to the Savage Coast, am I able to participate and get one of those shiny suits?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

thegodofchuck posted:

Took me a minute to notice what the problem was. :psyduck:

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Dohaeris posted:

So what's the deal with this golden event thing? As a tiny noob that just got to the Savage Coast, am I able to participate and get one of those shiny suits?

Shiny suits cost funbux. A jillion unless you buy this weekend. Shiny hat/headphones/bowtie are drops and if you can get to a golem and spam the attack key, you can get one. If it drops from your bag. And if it doesn't, just do it again. And again. And again. And again...

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

novaSphere posted:

This actually happened to me once. I have no clue what happened, but I ended up finally reinstalling the entire client and it looked fine again after that. :/

Oh goodie. I look forward to that.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
While I'm thinking about it, the "Snowfall" achievement (snowmobile racing) has the "box" symbol for a reward, but I didn't notice anything show up - what is it supposed to be, anyone know?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

thegodofchuck posted:

While I'm thinking about it, the "Snowfall" achievement (snowmobile racing) has the "box" symbol for a reward, but I didn't notice anything show up - what is it supposed to be, anyone know?

I believe its a title, Death Sledder or something. I could be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

If I could just wear my gold monocle I would be the regalest unicorn ever.

Edit: I deleted my super particle effect build I had just to ruin framerates more than they already are. Anyone got suggestions for stupid busy abilities to bog down computers with?

• Locked thread