Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I once played a game with completely random asteroid distribution (buddy of mine wrote a little script to output coordinates in "inches from each side" form for the asteroids) and ended up playing with what amounted to one giant rock cluster near the center and a slightly smaller one off to the side. Maneuvering was hell, but it made for an interesting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I personally can't wait to pick up a shuttle or two so we can try writing some "scenarios" that we can steal from the old TIE Fighter and X-Wing video games. Really want to try a huge room-sized battle.

One of the people in my gaming group has a very dark-grey carpeted room that would be amazing for simulating SPACE.

Make some kitbashed space station models and we have space platforms and star bases!

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

I already have a base set and 1 each of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions.

I'm considering placing a big order with Cool Stuff Inc to get US prices. Would a second starter, 2 X Tie Int, 2 x A Wing, 1 Y Wing, 1 Tie Adv, 1 Slave I, 1 Falcon be a good catchup to where we are now?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I would get another core and 2 each of the other small ships but I'm a lunatic and your list is great if you aren't all about running "tournament lists".

Actually I would recommend another core when you can swing it because running 3 x-wings at once is rad.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
What are you guys using for storage options? I've been using a Plano storage box but I know there's a 22" Husky from Home Depot that seems popular. (http://imgur.com/a/5Loqt) I liked that guy's solution a lot and those look to be a couple Plano storage containers thrown in the Husky. Seems excessive and the unit is really big.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Where do you buy foam sheets like that?

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Your local gaming shop should have them. Some only carry the actual cases though.

It can get a little expensive but they're pretty convenient. It's called Battlefoam pluck foam. I just bought some off of Amazon.

edit:

krushgroove posted:

Actually you can just get 'pluck foam' from many online sellers and cut it to size, then pull out the bits of foam to fit the ships you have. Don't get Battlefoam.

Also, got my first starter set today! Woot!

Is that what it is?! Thanks.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 4, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Actually you can just get 'pluck foam' from many online sellers and cut it to size, then pull out the bits of foam to fit the ships you have. Don't get Battlefoam.

Also, got my first starter set today! Woot!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

What's everyone's experience with Tycho Chelchu been like?
I run him: Homing Missile+Pushing the Limit+Stealth device

The guy is a killer, the a-wing has enough green maneuvers that you're practically never stressed and dropping a missile on an unsuspecting Howlrunner turn 1 never gets old.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
I played around for the first time ever making a board to play on. I bought a 4x8' sheet of Luan board at Home Depot and cut it into 3x3' sections and used 3M Super 77 to adhere cheap Walmart felt to it. I then took regular old white house paint and splattered it. I made an intense star field with some pretty big twilight stars. A second go would look much less grand but I don't think it matters. It was all done for under $20 and that's two of them with just makeshift materials around the house.

I'm already planning my second one and figured out some better materials to be more precise but I liked the felt for at home.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
What's the deal with all the ID and target lock tokens they include with ships? All I've got is a core set, an extra TIE, and a TIE Advanced, and I'm loving swimming in these things. And yet I only have exactly the correct number of shield tokens (2 for TIE Adv., 2 for X-Wing), and only a few extra focus, evade, and stress tokens. Seems pretty backward. I can't imagine I'll ever need to ID 19 different TIE Advances, all of whom have target locks at the same time.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Each ship expansion comes with all the tokens you need to play it included. And a fuckton of different ID tokens, which I guess you'd need of you were playing like, 500 point games or something, I dunno.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What I'm wondering is what they'll do once they get to the Z tokens. :ohdear:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Fox of Stone posted:

What I'm wondering is what they'll do once they get to the Z tokens. :ohdear:

Aurabesh target locks :v:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The ID tokens have helped when we've played games with like 6 people playing, but that's such a corner case. I'm glad they included stuff to make it easy, though.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Just finally realized how powerful the Gunner card is. If you suspect you're going against a Vader then you pretty much need it. I've played one too many times where it is me versus Darth Vader and even as Hans I can't break through double evade plus dice.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Also very important is not allowing your opponent to cheat. You can't perform the same action twice, Vader has to perform two different actions.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Thanks! I was wondering that and that's why I purposely put that in there. Sometimes at home you really don't make a big deal out of it but in the future it'll really make that pilot way less cheesy.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I can't wait until my order gets here, and for Y-wings to become available again. I'm planning to ultimately have 2 A-wings, one Y wing and a third cheap ship. Y-wing slows choice targets down with Ion turret, Arvel keep hugging its backside and firing away, the second A-wing zooms around sniping with missiles.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wave 3 ships should be hitting stores next week I think.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I hope so. I got preorders in this time so I wouldn't have to wait for restocks. I JUST got my Wave 2 ships because I didn't want to pay MSRP for them.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I preordered a Lamda, and I think I should probably call them and get at Bomber, too. It seems like these things go out of print pretty fast, and my FLGS gives a 20% discount on preorders...

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
At the FFG event center the sign says 9/11 I think.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Got my starter set Wednesday and that night played one of my tabletop buddies with the quick start rules - so now he's planning to get a starter set, another of our players is planning to get one (and he's only watched videos online of it and has heard from us how cool the game is), so soon we'll have 5 starter sets flying around! (I've got a second on the way)

Also, found an ebay seller with black glitter felt, cut that to 90cm across and played on that - very cool! On the opposite side I'm going to see if I can airbrush some nebula gas clouds for a bit of variety.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Has anyone had any luck with small elite squads for Imperials? I was thinking something like this.

Turr Phenir
Stealth Mod, Expose, Push the Limit

Howlrunner
Swarm Tactics

2x Sabre Squadron TIE
Push the Limit

The idea is to let Turr get in close and avoid for arcs while using Expose to get five attack range 1.
Howlrunner is there for obvious reasons and the two Sabre Squads are like mini Vaders.
Any ideas are welcome.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

Has anyone had any luck with small elite squads for Imperials? I was thinking something like this.

Turr Phenir
Stealth Mod, Expose, Push the Limit

Howlrunner
Swarm Tactics

2x Sabre Squadron TIE
Push the Limit

The idea is to let Turr get in close and avoid for arcs while using Expose to get five attack range 1.
Howlrunner is there for obvious reasons and the two Sabre Squads are like mini Vaders.
Any ideas are welcome.

Turr cant take both expose and push the limit. Howlrunner with only two range 1 ships isn't very effective.

I would prob dump the sabers and take Soontir Fel with stealth and push the limit.

With small imperial squads you're gonna wanna shoot first since TIEs are so fragile.

This squad gives you two ships at PS 9 and two at 7

Mauler Mithel - Swarm tactics
Soontir Fel - Push the limit - stealth
Turr Phenir - Veteran Instincts - stealth
Alpha Interceptor

Soontir and Turr go off and do their thing and Mauler flys with the Alpha and try to flank someone at range 1 for 4 attack dice each.

I've also had success with

Turr Phenir - Veteran Instincts - stealth
Soontir Fel - Push the limit - stealth
Mauler mithel - Veteran insticts - stealth
Obsidian TIE - stealth

4 hard to hit ships with 3 of them sitting at PS 9 means you will pretty much always get the first shot off.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 6, 2013

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yep, he wasn't supposed to have Push on there. Just Expose. Which I really want to find a use for. I tried it on Wedge and it wasn't good.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Expose on Wedge can work if you run him with Biggs. Expose on imperials doesn't really work that well.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

zVxTeflon posted:

Expose on Wedge can work if you run him with Biggs. Expose on imperials doesn't really work that well.

I can't see too many scenarios where it'd be worth a drat. Maybe on your Slave I but I feel there's better upgrades for it. I just tried it (albeit against a rookie opponent player Imperial, but I'm no pro) and Expose + Biggs is fantastic. I run the R2-D2 on Biggs so he can keep regaining his shield from the hits. Ran Luke around with the Action: +1 Agility droid so he could do his own thing while I had Biggs with Wedge.

Quick question:

100 pt squad, playing at home, using Imperials go first as the tie breaker. Pilots of equal skill "simultaneously shoot". However, how do Pilot Skill checks go about with pilots of equal value?

Ex:

Wedge and Darth Vader are both 9. Imperials in this scenario has the initiative. Who moves first, Vader or Wedge?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Imperials because they have the initiative?

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

It appears I've gotten into this game at precisely the worst moment, since I can't find any Wave 1 ships anywhere. I live in the Twin Cities and checked out our big comic shop as well as the FFG Event Center with no luck. Anyone know of some places that may have some ships in stock? Online prices right now for X/Y-wings or TIE Advances are a joke :smith:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm not sure what FFG can really do about that problem other than just print a horde of stuff. Maybe take orders on wave 1 to have them printed?

A bunch of our new group here is having to borrow the expansion TIE and X-Wing cards from other players.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Commissar Canuck posted:

It appears I've gotten into this game at precisely the worst moment, since I can't find any Wave 1 ships anywhere. I live in the Twin Cities and checked out our big comic shop as well as the FFG Event Center with no luck. Anyone know of some places that may have some ships in stock? Online prices right now for X/Y-wings or TIE Advances are a joke :smith:

Check out Gamestop. The one near me has multiples of every released ship in stock. I've also heard that big box stores like Target carry them.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Target only stocks the core sets, not the expansions. And I'm guessing that's the same of most big box stores. FFG's upcoming releases has a wave one reprint scheduled for Q4 2013, so there is that.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Devlan Mud posted:

Target only stocks the core sets, not the expansions. And I'm guessing that's the same of most big box stores. FFG's upcoming releases has a wave one reprint scheduled for Q4 2013, so there is that.

Yeah unless you're lucky and have a local store that hasn't been cleaned out you're gonna have to wait till the next reprint wave comes out in the next couple months.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Devlan Mud posted:

My local Barnes and Noble also stocks the expansions. Don't know if that's true for all of them.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions, but I struck out at Gamestop and B&N. Any goons with access to a store with a X-wing (and maybe a TIE Advance?) interested in working something out?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Commissar Canuck posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, but I struck out at Gamestop and B&N. Any goons with access to a store with a X-wing (and maybe a TIE Advance?) interested in working something out?

My FLGS still had both on Wednesday, and GameStop had a ton of them a couple weeks ago. I can try to pick them up for you, but if you are in Canada as your username suggests then the shipping might make it silly.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Canadian living in Minnesota, actually :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I'm in MN and have a spare, sealed, TIE advance... Where are you in the state?

• Locked thread