Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm following a recipe for white chocolate cheesecake. What chocolate would I substitute for a regular chocolate cheesecake. I have both milk chocolate and semisweet.

2 cups white chocolate chips
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

I am trying to do a white chocolate and chocolate swirl cheesecake.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Strictly within the confines of that recipe...

White chocolate is extremely sweet; that's why there is only a half cup of sugar. If you are looking for just a straight substitution of the chocolate, I would use the semisweet. That way, when you swirl the two together, it won't be overbearingly sweet and you will still get a bit of dairy tang. Make the base and divide it in half, and add one cup of white chocolate to one half and one cup of semisweet to the other, then swirl together in the pan. Put it in a graham cracker and toasted almond crumb crust.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I want to make some souffles using this recipe which says to use 10 185ml ramekins and bake for 12 minutes at 200°C.

I don't have 185ml ramekins, will it be OK to halve the recipe and use 3 300ml ramekins? If so will I need to adjust the temperature, or just cook them longer?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've bought 2 ham shanks I'm going to boil to make stock/ham for ham and pea soup. Would it be worthwhile getting some pigs feet as well for the stock?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scott Bakula posted:

I've bought 2 ham shanks I'm going to boil to make stock/ham for ham and pea soup. Would it be worthwhile getting some pigs feet as well for the stock?
Yes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
An old Italian flatmate taught me how to make a basic tomato sauce for pasta. Basically you sweat some onions, then throw in quartered tomatoes (the small ones) and simmer that until you get the consistency you want. If you've got meat then throw it in a few minutes before your done. I also add some peppers too to spice things up a bit. It's a really easy sauce to make and works fine for me but I was wondering, is there any way I can spruce things up a bit? Eating the same pasta gets kind of boring.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Boris Galerkin posted:

An old Italian flatmate taught me how to make a basic tomato sauce for pasta. Basically you sweat some onions, then throw in quartered tomatoes (the small ones) and simmer that until you get the consistency you want. If you've got meat then throw it in a few minutes before your done. I also add some peppers too to spice things up a bit. It's a really easy sauce to make and works fine for me but I was wondering, is there any way I can spruce things up a bit? Eating the same pasta gets kind of boring.

Instead of just "some onions" you can start the aromatic base with basically any combination of herbs/spices/onion/garlic/etc. that you want. And the way my family makes it, you can add all sorts of meat early on and have the flavors mingle over a long cooking time. Meatballs, sausage, pepperoni, beef ribs, veal bones, basically anything that won't completely dry out over a long cook time is fair game.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Boris Galerkin posted:

I start with mirepoix or soffritto with onion, carrot, celery.
Then garlic. Try mushrooms?
Then herbs: parsley, basil and/or thyme (fresh, not dried). Also chilli, olives. edit: artichokes, bell peppers?
Could experiment with worcestershire sauce or fish sauce.
Try a variety of cheeses?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 6, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My girlfriend bought some bananas a few days ago and she hasn't touched them, and now that they're getting mushy I was thinking of making some smoothies with them. I've not made them before, but I'm under the impression that it goes like this:

Banana
Other fruit (strawberries)
Ice cubes
Milk
Mix all in blender

Does that sound about right?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

C-Euro posted:

My girlfriend bought some bananas a few days ago and she hasn't touched them, and now that they're getting mushy I was thinking of making some smoothies with them. I've not made them before, but I'm under the impression that it goes like this:

Banana
Ice cubes
Milk
Mix all in blender

That will work just don't overload your blender. It's a common mistake

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Put the remaining ones in the freezer for later.
For pure banana shakes (without other fruit) I add oats and nutmeg and cinnamon, some plain or greek yogurt too.
Something along the lines of this recipe:
http://www.chiquitabananas.com/Banana-Recipes/RecipeDetailPrint.aspx?recipeID=22
But I have my own I changed a lot from that.

I have no idea how bananas go with other fruits though, I'm not really a banana fan, just get them while they're ripe and cheap.
You could always make banana muffins or bread with them too.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Banana
Ice cubes
Milk
Mix all in blender

Yep. I like a thicker smoothie so I add plain greek yogurt instead of milk and Splenda to sweeten to taste since greek yogurt is sour.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Would soy milk work OK? That's all we have right now, but I guess I'd have to go out and get some other fruit anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Soy milk is fine. I've been using silken tofu lately.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Soy milk works fine, that's what I use in it, but also with plain/greek yogurt 50/50 to milk. As I said I don't use any other fruit in it anyway.
Banana works better on it's own, I just use the banana, with some ice, milk, yogurt. And from memory I add cinnamon, nutmeg, honey(as 'the midnighter' said it needs a sweetener), and lastly oats if you have them and want a thick and filling smoothie.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 6, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I found honey but I can't seem to find any other that other stuff you mentioned.

Maybe I should throw in these peanut butter/chocolate chips I found instead :haw:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I used to make smoothies all the drat time when I was in high school and doing sports instead of being a sad old fatsack like today. They're really really hard to mess up, just experiment until you find something you like. Bananas make a nice sweet base that mixes well with lots of other fruits, especially berries. Like Breaky said the most common problem is just cramming too much stuff, start with maybe half what you'd think you need, it's easy to add a little more to the mix. They're very filling.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've had the opposite problem, I wanted to incorporate smoothies into my diet but I end up hungry again an hour later so it's not really doing what I intended. I'm not sure what to add to make them more filling. Usually it's fruit + milk/yogurt, I got the tofu to experiment with maybe more protein being more filling? I see the oat suggestion, what sort of oats are we talking about? I live in Korea so all I have access to is super expensive imported Quaker oats, unless I order super expensive other oats online. Do you cook them first or eat raw? Is there something I can substitute that provides the same effect?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

I've had the opposite problem, I wanted to incorporate smoothies into my diet but I end up hungry again an hour later so it's not really doing what I intended. I'm not sure what to add to make them more filling. Usually it's fruit + milk/yogurt, I got the tofu to experiment with maybe more protein being more filling? I see the oat suggestion, what sort of oats are we talking about? I live in Korea so all I have access to is super expensive imported Quaker oats, unless I order super expensive other oats online. Do you cook them first or eat raw? Is there something I can substitute that provides the same effect?

Complex carbs and protein are gonna help with being satiated. If you can't use oats then maybe a bit of baked sweet potato as a thickener? Also protein powder I guess if you can get that cheaply. If not keep going with the yogurt / tofu.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Grand Fromage posted:

The recipe I linked said cooked oats. Problem is I don't use much oats, so I was cooking 1/3 cup (minimum quantity that kind of worked and was worthwhile bothering about), which expanded to about 3/4 cup after cooking. I used about 1/4 cup cooked oats, not using the other 1/2 cup cooked and I ended up and freezing the remainder.

Frozen cooked oats a day or so later do not work, they are harder than anything you could put in a blender. Let me reiterate, do not put frozen cooked oats in the blender.
So just because of that I use raw rolled oats in the blender these days, about 1/8th or a little less of a cup depending on smothie thickness (drink or scoop with a spoon). I just use the cheap stuff (not fancy instant, not organic or fancy steel cut), just cheap plain no name brand rolled oats.

Are any Koreans into breakfast cereals? If so just use whatever good healthy not junk food cereal they have, oats, wheat, rice whatever. What do their horses eat?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 6, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Does cooked orzo roughly double in volume like rice?

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
For good smoothies lose the ice, it adds nothing that you can't get by freezing the bananas before adding them.

My smoothies always consist of:

Either butter milk or yogurt
Frozen banana
Frozen berries

Flavorings, generally some combination of cinnamon,vanilla, and an alcohol.

To that base I add other frozen or fresh fruit that I have lying around.
To mix I use an immersion blender so I can get a thick finished product.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
If your problem is that your smoothies aren't filling enough, I find some nut butters do a great job of making it stick to your ribs for quite a bit longer. I use peanut butter because I like the flavor, but almond butter (or any other nut butter) will probably take over the flavor less than peanut. Just a spoonful really helps.

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Roses are red, violets are blue, omgwtf, I love you.
Seconding the raw rolled oats. Adding 1/4 cup to my smoothies has made them much more filling and I've found slows down digestion.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Tahini goes really well with frozen banana.

In fact, if you just blend a frozen banana with about a tablespoon of tahini you get a texture very much like ice cream. Add a few blueberries if you want. It'd delicious. Just eat it quickly because banana ice cream starts to get weird and sticky when it melts.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
First round of smoothies turned out alright and I'm going to try some more later this weekend. I was going to freeze the strawberries that I bought for later use to that end, what's the best way to store those for a freezer? Ziploc bag?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fo3 posted:

Are any Koreans into breakfast cereals? If so just use whatever good healthy not junk food cereal they have, oats, wheat, rice whatever. What do their horses eat?

There's a range of American cereals here, two or three are healthy and cheaper than getting oats. But handfuls of uncooked rolled oats are doable, I might try that first. Normal Korean breakfast is the same as all Korean meals, soup/rice/kimchi. I've only seen a horse here once and he was going to town on carrots, so I have no idea about feed.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

C-Euro posted:

First round of smoothies turned out alright and I'm going to try some more later this weekend. I was going to freeze the strawberries that I bought for later use to that end, what's the best way to store those for a freezer? Ziploc bag?
Hull them, wash them, dry them and freeze on a cookie sheet. Then store them in a ziploc bag. That way, they won't all freeze together into a big lump.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I found the recipe for soda cupcakes wherein you use soda to replace the water and eggs. If I were to use, say, an energy drink as the soda, would the caffeine and all the other crap in the soda stay in the final baked product? I know it would be a small amount per cupcake but it sounds like a neat gimmick.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got some split green peas to soak before I make ham and pea soup tomorrow but this is my first time soaking any legumes overnight. They don't need soaking in the fridge right?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Raere posted:

I found the recipe for soda cupcakes wherein you use soda to replace the water and eggs. If I were to use, say, an energy drink as the soda, would the caffeine and all the other crap in the soda stay in the final baked product? I know it would be a small amount per cupcake but it sounds like a neat gimmick.

Please don't do this.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Raere posted:

I went to a cupcake store once that had Mountain Dew and red bull cupcakes. My wife was avoiding caffeine at the time. They weren't sure if they had caffeine in them. I have no idea either. I'm not sure, maybe some science brain can come in with some knowledge on the combustion of caffeine or something.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

FishBulb posted:

I went to a cupcake store once that had Mountain Dew and red bull cupcakes. My wife was avoiding caffeine at the time. They weren't sure if they had caffeine in them. I have no idea either. I'm not sure, maybe some science brain can come in with some knowledge on the combustion of caffeine or something.

I think the caffeine stays in the cupcakes. Decaffeinating is a bit of an involved process. I don't remember the exact science, but there are several processes, which involve using water, ethyl acetate, methylene chloride, or carbon dioxide to extract the caffeine in powder form. I don't think any part of the baking process would decaffeinate any of the ingredients.

Edit: Does anyone know how long it takes oyster sauce to go bad after it has been opened and kept in the fridge?

walruscat fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 7, 2013

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Scott Bakula posted:

I've got some split green peas to soak before I make ham and pea soup tomorrow but this is my first time soaking any legumes overnight. They don't need soaking in the fridge right?

I've never soaked split peas for split pea soup. They're like lentils, they cook faster than regular beans.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Raere posted:

Caffeine is a powder which sublimates at around 350F. That being said, this is the worst idea. Those gimmicky cupcakes are gross. Don't do this.

Also, soda can replace water, and the carbonation makes the final product lighter and more spongy. Any flavor to the soda will also, of course, add to the flavor of the cupcake. If you are using a box mix, you can replace the water with soda for a different take.

However, soda in no way replaces eggs. There is nothing magical about carbonated water with flavor that replaces the binding properties of the proteins in eggs.

Edit: Seriously, don't do this totally over done gimmick.

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 7, 2013

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Why not? They'll probably not be very good, but who cares? I love doing dumb stuff in the kitchen. Just because other people have (over)done it doesn't mean this person can't. If they suck, then so what -- they're just cupcakes. Make some better ones next time. They aren't hurting anybody.

edit -- Worst case scenario they end up with gross 'gimmicky' cupcakes. But maybe along the way they learn a thing or two about baking with unorthodox ingredients and they use that knowledge to make something actually cool later.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 7, 2013

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
So uh. Really dumb idea probably. But... Can I sous vide rice? Can I create the stickiest rice to ever exist with an absolutely perfect texture or something similarly neato?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

So uh. Really dumb idea probably. But... Can I sous vide rice? Can I create the stickiest rice to ever exist with an absolutely perfect texture or something similarly neato?

I've made sous-vide risotto before. Arborio rice + stuff at something like 65C, maybe?

It turned out fine but no better than just making it in a pan.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

What's your preferred water/sugar/lemon juice ratio for lemonade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I like 1 part sugar to 1 part lemon to 6 parts water, personally.