Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Socracheese posted:

i want to dabble with the nvidia parallel computing library but i dont have any big processing problems to solve

crack the neighbors' wifi? is that a thing that you can crack if u give a video card a few hours?

there are two "popular" lovely wifi protocols. one is WEP, attacks on which are bottlenecked by how fast you can gather relevant packets. the other is WPA w/ WPS, and that's limited by how powerful/stupid the router you're trying break is.

the only relevant-to-your-interests, computationally-limited attack is good ol' brute forcing the pw. for that, you've been beaten to the punch: pyrit does it on the gpu already, which for WPA tops out at 110k pw/sec on latest-gen AMD hardware. even then, you'll only get lucky if your neighbour's have picked a lovely dictionary-based password.

don't let this put you off though, it'd still be hella instructive for you to write your own.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 6, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Rude. posted:

patenting this atm

the other thing is that when theyre not charging they will be programmed to seek out common flight paths via gps and try to kamikaze themselves into jet intakes around airports

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

the other thing is that when theyre not charging they will be programmed to seek out common flight paths via gps and try to kamikaze themselves into jet intakes around airports

goddammit jonny, now the nsa is double-watching

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

ol qwerty bastard posted:

woo more balls shading on each other

trying to make it faster now because i tried to make an animation of this and after five and a half hours it had rendered 30 frames

i mean granted half of that is the fault of the python interpreter which by my measurements seems to be running at around 2.5 megaflops; my laptop is old but i'm prrreeeeeettttttyyyyy sure it can go faster than that

you'll never get great performances with an intepreted language but python is particularly awful

Baboon Nigga
Jan 3, 2011

Dec 26, 2012

yeah boiiiiii(tch)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

made an anroid app that runs an analyzer+voiceprint for whatever audio is playing on the device

it's p much a rewrite of a thing i'd made for linux a while ago

doesnt work on sarnsung s3's lol

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 16, 2017

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

this is my reaction seeing this

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

qfb

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah the cores of uav's and little flyin things are commodity now. at this point its how you apply them

i was sketching out an idea for an indefinite lifespan drone that would seek out power lines and hang from them by a hook thing that was also an induction coil. i think you could steal enough juice to recharge it. imagine swarms of never landing dronebots

disguise them as sneakers

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

rip

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

i mean granted half of that is the fault of the python interpreter which by my measurements seems to be running at around 2.5 megaflops; my laptop is old but i'm prrreeeeeettttttyyyyy sure it can go faster than that

Sounds like it should go faster. is the code online anywhere?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

oqb try pypy

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
alright i got it to render triangles! lit triangles even!

here's an icosahedron

wooooooooooo okay this poo poo is making me crazy i need to go for a walk outside

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

peepsalot posted:

oqb try pypy

i'll look into it, thanks

the wizards beard posted:

Sounds like it should go faster. is the code online anywhere?

my code? no not yet i'm still writing some of the 3d stuff; the 2.5 megaflops estimate was just based on making it do a floating point addition 10 million times which took about 4 seconds

anyway here the icosahedron renders a lot faster than spheres; here's a light source orbiting around it as it recedes into the distance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFSXuVuWqIY

yeah it's pretty basic but it took a long time to get all the vector stuff really working properly

still have to write a z buffer so i can have triangles occluding each other, a "rotate object" function, a thing that handles how they should be drawn if the camera is really close, etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
i was thinking about your project old qwerty bastard and i realized the next step. you can't get good performance from an interpreted language the way you are using it. but what if you turned an fpga into a python-specific dedicated cpu?

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

what if you just coded it all in assembly

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

cps: started learning about CUDA C. highlight so far:

quote:

However, it is the responsibility of the programmer not to dereference the pointer
returned by cudaMalloc() from code that executes on the host. Host code may
pass this pointer around, perform arithmetic on it, or even cast it to a different
type. But you cannot use it to read or write from memory.

Unfortunately, the compiler cannot protect you from this mistake, either. It will
be perfectly happy to allow dereferences of device pointers in your host code

:stare:

now i've been explicitly warned against it, i am guaranteed to do it.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 10, 2013

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i was thinking about your project old qwerty bastard and i realized the next step. you can't get good performance from an interpreted language the way you are using it. but what if you turned an fpga into a python-specific dedicated cpu?

that sounds awful

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's what she said

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

coffeetable posted:

cps: started learning about CUDA C. highlight so far:

:stare:

now i've been explicitly warned against it, i am guaranteed to do it.

Wrap it in an opaque type or something and interact with it through a limited set of known safe functions.

Or buy amd and wait for unified memory I guess

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:lol::lol::lol:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
oqb don't bother with speed right now, doing what your doing is a v good way to learn how 3d rendering works and when you reach the point where you want it to be fast just switch to using opengl and shaders.

with what you learned by doing it all by hand it shouldn't be hard

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

Wrap it in an opaque type or something and interact with it through a limited set of known safe functions.

Or buy amd and wait for unified memory I guess

yeah i shouldn't have much issue w/ it if im not an idiot. it's just that after years of p-langs, not having the compiler scream every time i screw up makes me distinctly uncomfortable

cps: "just instantiate a thread for every pixel n let the gpu sort them out" two million threads and counting i like this gpgpu thing

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 10, 2013

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

http://pycpu.wordpress.com/

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I've been doing some image processing with numpy these days and it rules so loving much. I'll try doing one of those sudoku solvers.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Hi i just wanted to say that you are extremely stupid, and bad, and that you should commit suicide for the good of the forums and the world

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Yaoi Mandel posted:

Hi i just wanted to say that you are extremely stupid, and bad, and that you should commit suicide for the good of the forums and the world

How it's done, folks.

Baboon Nigga
Jan 3, 2011

echinopsis posted:

that's what she said

LMFAO

Baboon Nigga
Jan 3, 2011

HAHAHAHa *wipes tear from eye*

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

what i've learned today:

-rotation is easy
-subdividing a triangle is easy although i have to write some sort of "3d object" class with a list of vertices and triangles so that i can do it properly (i.e. subdividing every triangle into 4 instead of 3 - adjacent triangles need to share the new vertices so i can't do this as just a list of unrelated triangles)
-z buffers are like black magic and i apparently have no idea how to code one (right now it's sorting by midpoint distance which kind of works a little bit but not really)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AakDr0R7mI

ol qwerty bastard fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 10, 2013

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

what i've learned today:

-rotation is easy
-subdividing a triangle is easy although i have to write some sort of "3d object" class with a list of vertices and triangles so that i can do it properly (i.e. subdividing every triangle into 4 instead of 3 - adjacent triangles need to share the new vertices so i can't do this as just a list of unrelated triangles)
-z buffers are like black magic and i apparently have no idea how to code one (right now it's sorting by midpoint distance which kind of works a little bit but not really)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AakDr0R7mI
you can get better results with triangle sorting by doing backface culling: basically dont draw triangles whose normal vector is facing away from the camera (if your object is convex this will actually render it correctly without needing sorting or z buffering).

you can get the normal vector by picking two vectors along two edges of the triangle and doing a cross product. however it means that you need to mind the vertex order of your triangles so that their normals face outwards. you'll want to do that when you decide to do lighting anyway

but triangle sorting is kinda messy and you need to avoid having too big triangles to limit the cases where they end up sorted badly

zbuffer is simple: for each pixel of the screen, you store the nearest distance (ie Z) at which you have previously drawn a point from another triangle on it. you initialize it with a max distance value before rendering your frame. when you rasterize a triangle, for each pixel you calculate its distance (simply by interpolating the z coordinates of the vertices, assuming they are already transformed into camera space), and if the pixel you want to draw is closer to the camera than the one you drawn previously, you draw it and store its z value in the z buffer, otherwise you ignore that pixel. you also ignore that pixel if its z value is out of range for the z buffer (which means you need to pick some arbitrary min and max draw distances)

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

pagancow posted:

also i can never export my poo poo with realistic looking film grain online because you can't see it on video sharing sites lol 6mbps get hosed

die

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Zlodo posted:

you can get better results with triangle sorting by doing backface culling: basically dont draw triangles whose normal vector is facing away from the camera (if your object is convex this will actually render it correctly without needing sorting or z buffering).

you can get the normal vector by picking two vectors along two edges of the triangle and doing a cross product. however it means that you need to mind the vertex order of your triangles so that their normals face outwards. you'll want to do that when you decide to do lighting anyway

but triangle sorting is kinda messy and you need to avoid having too big triangles to limit the cases where they end up sorted badly

zbuffer is simple: for each pixel of the screen, you store the nearest distance (ie Z) at which you have previously drawn a point from another triangle on it. you initialize it with a max distance value before rendering your frame. when you rasterize a triangle, for each pixel you calculate its distance (simply by interpolating the z coordinates of the vertices, assuming they are already transformed into camera space), and if the pixel you want to draw is closer to the camera than the one you drawn previously, you draw it and store its z value in the z buffer, otherwise you ignore that pixel. you also ignore that pixel if its z value is out of range for the z buffer (which means you need to pick some arbitrary min and max draw distances)

ah yeah i'd forgotten to do the backface culling thing; i even already have the code set up so it automatically generates a unit normal vector when the triangle is instantiated. i was using it for lighting but it'd be straightforward to tell it to dot with the camera vector and then if it's negative don't render

i was definitely finding that triangle sorting is messy; i dread the day when i try to write code that will allow two intersecting triangles to render correctly

i guess i need to write my own draw_triangle() code to do proper zbuffering if i have to do a pixel-level thing on it though; currently i'm just using the pygame.draw.polygon thing. ah well, that shouldn't be too hard

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Cold on a Cob posted:

i thought it was not really racist at all b/c they basically said the white man "won" via right place, right time. but i guess diamond also doesn't really talk about china, etc. i could be mixing it up with other books though like 1491

here is guns, germs and steel in a paragraph

'eurasian peoples were much better positioned to develop advanced civilizations, not because of any kind of racial differences, but because their continent was oriented east-west, allowing long-range transmission of domesticated crops & animals within a similar climate band. why did europe end up controlling the world instead of china/india? gently caress if I know lol'

(he added a half-assed afterword in one edition suggesting 'china was centralized, india was decentralized, maybe europe was just the right mix of centralization & disparate small states to make progress????' it's the dumbest thing and so of course 'business leaders' ate it up)

anyway I get the feeling that a lot of the people who criticize guns germs & steel are basically jealous of its success/popularity and/or his dismissal of touchy-feely 'intellectual factors' (i.e. either 'great men' theory or 'THE ESSENTIAL WESTERN VALUES OF FREEDOM'). most of his theses seem pretty solid - there are some issues with grains (domesticatable grains were more widely available & more easily spread than diamond thought), but the theory as a whole seems to hold up pretty well

anyway that's me replying to week-old posts

current spare time project status: considering open-sourcing it so people can look and tell me how bad my code is. not like I'm planning to make any money off it anyway. (lol @ trying to make money from games)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oie1ZXWceqM

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i've been thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that there are literal wizards involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

i was definitely finding that triangle sorting is messy; i dread the day when i try to write code that will allow two intersecting triangles to render correctly

what you need to do is split one of the triangles along the plane defined by the other one, and it's not actually that hard. but nobody bothers doing that kind of things because that's what the zbuffer is for