Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Awww wook at da cute widdle amp! :3: Was that babby's first wiring job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

IPCRESS posted:

Maserati, specifically their legal department, may have been a bit interested in these.

I thought it was a Maserati at first too.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
FUN CHALLENGE: Try to make a PT Cruiser handle well in Forza 4 in any class.

It's impossible.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Forza can put a loving PT Cruiser in their game but I can't get an E34 M5? Talk about horrible car stuff...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

rscott posted:

Forza can put a loving PT Cruiser in their game but I can't get an E34 M5? Talk about horrible car stuff...

How much do you really think Chrysler is charging for that license, let's be honest

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Snowdens Secret posted:

How much do you really think Chrysler is charging for that license, let's be honest

"If you want our other cars, we'll have to ask that you include the PT Cruiser too"

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You can see his stripes but you know he's clean.

Oct 2, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I wish it was Dio themed :(

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

ultimateforce posted:

FUN CHALLENGE: Try to make a PT Cruiser handle well in Forza 4 in any class.

It's impossible.

I have done it. I think it was C class, with a big gently caress-off wing on the back, 2 way diff, slammed to the ground so it would bottom out on some tracks, "Moms Taxi" licence plate and the stick figure kids on the back window.

I mean, it wasn't great, but the engine build had nice torque and a great launch, won several races with it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

rscott posted:

E34 M5 got added in the April '12 DLC. It looks nice between my E28 and E39 :)

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

rscott posted:

Its a bulk deal usually, and when they digitize a more common car like this, they can re-use the info for other games. If you played Forza Horizon, I would say 75% of the traffic cars were PTs or Durangos.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

FogHelmut posted:

:regd10:

I'm currently (not seriously) looking at this beast. I had no idea that brake dust could become an alloy sealant.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Viggen fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 6, 2013

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Hamilton dot jaypeg.

Did you see the old Cavalier they had before the Tabby cruiser?

Oct 2, 2004

No, never saw it. If it was half as good as the tiger's face on the Cruiser, I'm sad to have missed it.

My photos are from about 4-5 years ago, but with all the PT chat, I felt it was good to post 'em again.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

IPCRESS posted:

Maserati, specifically their legal department, may have been a bit interested in these.

Actually that's a pretty faithful modernization of the Saab Sonett III:

Saab Sonett IV Concept:

Compared to a Maserati GranTurismo:

Hardly a matter for the legal department.

None of them belong in this thread.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hashal posted:

Wish I could find a bigger one of this:

Gravedigger as a youth :3:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Breaking Bad yet.

Walt buys his son a new Challenger as his first car, and Skylar is pissed off that it's too ostentatious, and they need to give him a more subtle car so no-one starts asking where they got the money. She goes out to get junior an appropriate vehicle, and it's a PT Cruiser. You can almost see him throw up in his mouth a little as she prattles on about how "cool" it is.

They needed a car for the show - a show which gives the Pontiac Aztek some credibility - to illustrate the most terrible, slap-in-the-face car purchase you could make for someone as a gift, and they chose a PT Cruiser. You know it's bad when it's a general pop culture thing, not just us reprobate petrolheads on forums.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Breaking Bad yet.

You know it's bad when it's a general pop culture thing, not just us reprobate petrolheads on forums.

:ssh: In episode 51, Walter Jr. gets a Dodge Challenger, again, and Walter leases a 300, after selling his Aztek for $50 cash.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

jaken97 posted:

I do believe this belongs here

Well, it's a nice Saturday; I think I'll brush my car.

On the subject of PT Cruisers, I'll admit to owning one. I got it back in 2000 when they first came out. They were so new that you had to special order them as they were always sold out and I had to scour dealerships within an hours drive before I was able to find one that someone changed their mind on and it was in stock.

The only reason I wanted it, because I knew NOTHING about cars, was because it was different and retro looking. The first time I saw it was in an ad in a magazine before it came out, with no info-no price or anything. I was surprised how inexpensive they were, I'd just gotten my first salaried job, and was looking to buy my first new car. I didn't really understand "performance" or "horsepower" or anything like that.

It was very rare at first, it really did turn heads and you didn't see them a lot. Within a couple years though the "PT Loser" jokes started, and they were all over and had the badge of being an old person's car. That said the hatchback was very convenient; I could carry a lot of stuff in there. I was terrible in those days about oil changes and the engine still lasted 245,000 miles. Had a lot of brake problems IIRC, and starter/battery issues. Oh, and the underside rusted out badly (NE, but still). But the first gen cars were better than the later ones, when they really started cutting corners. Interior styling sucked; all plastic. It was cool to me at first because it was my first new and modern car, but in hindsight as I drive Cadillacs now, it was lacking.

All in all you just can't get around the stereotype of it being a lame old person's car. I mean, I still drive old man cars, but at least they are luxobarges with V-8s and wood accents and I can make it look cool in my own way. I don't think there's a way to make a PT Cruiser look cool. (Full disclosure--I never modded mine in any way, shape or form).

That said, if she's married to the styling, why not just go all out and get one of these:

Astroman fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 6, 2013

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

jaken97 posted:

I do believe this belongs here

Do you live in New England somewhere? There can't be more than one of those, can there?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

E34 M5 got added in the April '12 DLC. It looks nice between my E28 and E39 :)

Welp time to buy a 360 again.

FogHelmut posted:

I can see what you mean

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This is kinda local to me and a deliberate 'build'.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

rscott posted:

Welp time to buy a 360 again.

I can see what you mean

And just to drive my point home(and it's so pretty):

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

And just to drive my point home(and it's so pretty):

Too bad Porsche are yet again not in FM5, which is pretty terrible car stuff related.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Granted, I don't really know very much about trucks, but I could probably think of a better way to route the exhaust on this thing. Unless there is some particular reason for it. I think the truck is cool otherwise.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It might have been piped that way to prevent contamination of the load, if it was destined to pull the same thing over and over again. Seeing as it's from six-toe country (Cheadle) it's probably not explosives.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

animeliker posted:

Granted, I don't really know very much about trucks, but I could probably think of a better way to route the exhaust on this thing. Unless there is some particular reason for it. I think the truck is cool otherwise.

Dunno about that particular one, but airport fuel trucks tend to have the exhaust in that configuration, probably to keep any potential ignition source as far from the tank as it can get.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

animeliker posted:

I could probably think of a better way to route the exhaust on this thing. Unless there is some particular reason for it. I think the truck is cool otherwise.

I've seen this type of exhaust routing a lot around the airport. It's used primarily when the truck is hauling very flammable substances, my guess is to minimize the risk of the exhaust as an ignition source.

e:fb :argh:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

animeliker posted:

Used to be fairly common on old trucks over here, even up to the early/mid nineties with some Leyland-Dafs. Don't know the reason, probably ease of routing before they used the large square-ish exhaust silencers that are commonplace here.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
nm I should read ahead.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Obviously a Jefferson Starship fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTpuWlxO-ts

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I wish it was Dio themed :(

RJD's spirit would make it burst into flames before the paint even dried.

Having said that, I want a Holy Diver themed custom van more than anything :allears:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Having said that, I want a Holy Diver themed custom van more than anything :allears:

Forget that man.. its like a rainbow in the dark.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Personally I think van art is the last honest form of artistic expression left.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

West SAAB Story posted:

Forget that man.. its like a rainbow in the dark.

There's no sign of the morning coming :(

I thought I could count on the hipsters to bring the custom vans back. Fixies and vintage clothes are less of a financial commitment than 35 year old vans with with glorious lightning wizard amazon titty babe airbrushing, front to back shag carpet and moon shaped bubble windows, I guess.

Oct 2, 2004

Driving a wizard van would be the best car for having teens in the house. They would never ask to be driven anywhere, and you can guarantee they'd never ask to borrow it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Unless you had Jeff Fischer in your house. :v:

(I'd drive one...)

One of my old coworkers has a 91 Aerostar cargo van, no windows, bright white paint, with whatever wheels were awesome in 1995. He occasionally pulls it out and uses it for delivery duty; he claims to get a lot of :wtc: looks from parents in it.

e: found a picture! :neckbeard:
e2: removed plates

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 7, 2013

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

Unless you had Jeff Fischer in your house. :v:

(I'd drive one...)

One of my old coworkers has a 91 Aerostar cargo van, no windows, bright white paint, with whatever wheels were awesome in 1995. He occasionally pulls it out and uses it for delivery duty; he claims to get a lot of :wtc: looks from parents in it.

e: found a picture! :neckbeard:
e2: removed plates

It looks so sad just sitting there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's in amazingly good condition though. My dad had one, probably the same year. Bought it after his big blue 85 station wagon kicked.

I'm surprised to see one with no rust under the sides.