Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
My friend works at a print shop and gave me a very nice quality poster-size print of the Doom cover (using this high-res image).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fqpw60tjbszia28/MARS3D_game_with_CDimage.zip

There's a link to MARS 3D. It comes with a CD image because the game has a CD check that obviously hasn't been cracked. You know, since this game has never been seen until now. Just note that the guy who found this seems to indicate that it's kind of unstable, so don't be surprised if you experience crashing.

Thanks for this, it's a pretty awesome find!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's a link to MARS 3D. It comes with a CD image because the game has a CD check that obviously hasn't been cracked. You know, since this game has never been seen until now. Just note that the guy who found this seems to indicate that it's kind of unstable, so don't be surprised if you experience crashing.

There is a lot of ripped and modified (most of the time only barely) in this, which isn't entirely unexpected for a Chinese (?) game.

Can anyway tell what 3D engine this uses?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SwissCM posted:

There is a lot of ripped and modified (most of the time only barely) in this, which isn't entirely unexpected for a Chinese (?) game.

Can anyway tell what 3D engine this uses?
It's SOME version of Doom that's been decompiled and hacked upon. The ZDoom IRC channel is trying to tear it apart for scrap, and bizarrely it has text strings from both Doom and Heretic in the EXE...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What was immediately obvious to me is that the starting pistol was a sprite edit of the one from Duke3D.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
There is a lot of original stuff, too, at least in the textures. My favorite edit though is the one gun you see in the demo that is pretty clearly an edit of a gun from Aliens TC.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

well according to what people have found at Duke4 it's not based on the Doom engine, but they did pull headers from Doom/Heretic explaining why it's in the source. It's definitly a bastard child pulled from everywhich way but loose.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Jblade posted:

well according to what people have found at Duke4 it's not based on the Doom engine, but they did pull headers from Doom/Heretic explaining why it's in the source. It's definitly a bastard child pulled from everywhich way but loose.

One thing I'm wondering is that if Mars 3D has something to do with that old 3D Realms mishap where they had the BUILD engine contract fall through that resulted in some Chinese company getting access to it and making the Legend of the Seven Paladins game, maybe its tied to that in some strange way if it isn't a hacked doom/heretic engine

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

NoodleBox posted:

One thing I'm wondering is that if Mars 3D has something to do with that old 3D Realms mishap where they had the BUILD engine contract fall through that resulted in some Chinese company getting access to it and making the Legend of the Seven Paladins game, maybe its tied to that in some strange way if it isn't a hacked doom/heretic engine

MARS is made by the same company that made Legend of the Seven Paladins. You might be onto something.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

jerkstoresup posted:

My friend works at a print shop and gave me a very nice quality poster-size print of the Doom cover (using this high-res image).

Your friend rules and I am very jealous.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

My god. I will never complain about motion sickness from a game again, as it all pales into insignificance compared to this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:stare:

I feel a little dizzy after watching 30 seconds of that.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Is he loving headbanging to every step? :stare:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know why, but the quick up-and-down motion doesn't faze me in the slightest, but one thing I can't stand in FPS games is when they do the slow side-to-side, "boat rocking" type of head bob, or tilting the camera on a slope. STALKER made me so sick I had to give up trying to play it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Obviously the player character is riding a unicycle with a square wheel.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Wow, that's not motion sickness including at all. :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mak0rz posted:

Obviously the player character is riding a unicycle with a square wheel.

No he's just a very agreeable chap.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know why, but the quick up-and-down motion doesn't faze me in the slightest, but one thing I can't stand in FPS games is when they do the slow side-to-side, "boat rocking" type of head bob, or tilting the camera on a slope. STALKER made me so sick I had to give up trying to play it.

In console (~): cam_inert 0.0

Worth another shot if that was your only qualm. STALKER is still one of the most atmospheric FPS games I've ever played.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

jerkstoresup posted:

I have an original copy of that poster. Mine's got the signatures of the team printed on the bottom as well. this is the one. I got it years back when I found boxed CD copies of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 in a charity shop, got 'em both for a quid each.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Megadyptes posted:

I have an original copy of that poster. Mine's got the signatures of the team printed on the bottom as well. this is the one. I got it years back when I found boxed CD copies of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 in a charity shop, got 'em both for a quid each.

LOL did John Romero register his name as a trademark or something?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Heh, never noticed that before. It really wouldn't surprise me if he did actually register his name though.

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev

haveblue posted:

:stare:

I feel a little dizzy after watching 30 seconds of that.

What a surprise that it was an unreleased game.

I was just thinking about motion sickness yesterday and considering if it would be funny to get a motion sickness company to sponser this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf4T7Z39ZSE

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

So I know HL2 is hardly a retro shooter (although jesus it's been almost a decade since it's release...) but Underhell Chapter 1 was just released a couple of days ago. I played the prologue ages ago and found it pretty amazing, like a mixup of FEAR and HL2. Chapter 1 was even more amazing, even if my PC could barely run it. Anybody else got any thoughts on it?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Having had a quick go: does this do sectors that aren't on 45 or 90 degree angles? That would seem to be the most obvious limitation of the engine.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
According to a guy who's working on cracking the .MAD archive format, the map format is definitely Doom's; all the lumps that make up a Doom map are present. So yeah, the engine is definitely capable of more than 45 and 90 degree angles.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
drat you Devolver Digital, you drive a hard deal.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

But... but I don't have any money. :saddowns: I want to buy it, I swear I do!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The Kins posted:

Well fine if I have to.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Would they be satisfied if I just bought three more copies of Shadow Warrior Classic Redux and gifted them to some Steam friends?

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

The Kins posted:

Only if it ensures that you will first work on a port and then some sort of sequel :colbert:

And also that if you do work on a sequel, it takes place between the years of 1928-2028 and follows Caleb scouring the four corners of the earth eliminating whatever sort of unearthly horrors managed to narrowly escape his rage during his first harrowing adventure

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I found this nestled away on the Brutal Doom facebook page, a partial changelist of stuff coming up

quote:

Partial Changelog as of 02/09/2013

- Sticky gibs added.
- Dozens of new death animations and multilations for almost every monster.
- Removed vertical recoil for minigun's primary fire.
- Fixed a bug causing the minigun to spend one bullet without actually firing anything at the start of the fire animation.
- New smoke effects.
- Better sprites for smashed brain pieces.
- New sprites for the Rocket Launcher.
- Improved blood decals.
- Fixed a bug causing barrels to dont cause damage when exploding over a liquid surface.
- Improved Lost Soul's death.
- Fixed dynamic lights for some projectiles.
- When a burning zombie runs into an explosive barrel, the barrel will always explode.
- The flying bodies of zombies and imps killed by explosives will now cause area damage.
- Added The "Super Marines". They will follow you everywhere, and if they get too far, they will teleport next to you. They will talk to you. They will give you items. They will salute you if you salute them. They are supposed to follow you into other levels.
Sometimes they will fail to know where you are and teleport next to you. This usually happens if you enter a teleport while they were standing next to you and not moving.
- Added localized damage on legs for zombies and imps. Now legs amputations happens when you actually shot their legs, and not randomly. But shooting legs now deals less damage.
- Fatalities are now much faster, and will give 50% less health. But now the health given by these adrenaline boosts can go over 100%.
- Super shotgun can kill Cacodemons with a single shoot at point-blank range and Hell Knights with a shoot to the face, but now it requires more time to reload.
- During the "Revenant Baseball" fatality, the player can aim at an enemy during the fatality and kill it with the revenant head.
- New animations: Hell Nobles will roar at the player when spoted.
- Fixed a bug causing sticky gibs to spawn far away from the wall.
- Further improved smashed brain sprites.
- Much improved melee combat.
- New gibs for players that now have the correct color translation.
- Added bouncecounts to all bouncing objects to prevent infinite bounce loop on elevators.
- non-interactive gib pieces disappears after 2000 tics to prevent fps drops.
- Finally fixed the "spinning heads" bug.
- Added floor and ceiling decals for rockets.
- Improved the "aftermath" of all explosions.
- Fixed a bug causing barrels to still have colision even after it exploded.
- Fixed a bug causing revenant rockets to instantly explode on spawn when a revenant was too close of a wall.
- Fixed a bug causing the Baron of Hell to spawn wrong gibs after his head is destroyed.
- Cacodemons can be set on fire.
- Improved chainsaw.
- Revenant Missile Launcher primary attack will not fire when not targeting an enemy. Use alt fire for a free fire mode.
- Nerfed Super Shotgun (increased spread and reload time).
- Nazis and Commander Keen upgrades removed because it was breaking compatibility with wads using DEHACKED.
- Cyberdemon will need to take 10 rocket headshots instead of 8 to die quickly.
- Improved stealth kill sprites.
- Fixed a bug causing shotgunguys and chaingunguys to not drop weapons after a Stealth Kill.
- Fixed a bug causing the Rocket Launcher to do no splash damage when a rocket exploded on a ceiling.
- FIxed a bug causing some projectiles to unable to hit the head of a Mastermind.
- So many minor fixes that I even forgot to list.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Chaingun recoil was awful in brutal doom, but it did at least differentiate it from the assault rifle.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
loving :aslol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmJIgRMjHWs

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

jerkstoresup posted:

Goes well with your Bridget Jones' Diary dvd.

I'm jealous too

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

The Kins posted:

I'd rather see Interceptor get it, but since they gave me a 10% coupon for the game (?!) I decided to buy it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They'll have my loving soul if they want if they manage to get the Blood IP rights and make a good source port of Blood like with Duke3D megaton or Shadow Warrior Classic Redux. drat you Fork Parker. :argh:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Vankwish posted:

What a surprise that it was an unreleased game.

I was just thinking about motion sickness yesterday and considering if it would be funny to get a motion sickness company to sponser this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf4T7Z39ZSE

This looks pretty cool, Descent style gameplay crossed with a Diablo-like I guess? Kind of half tempted to try it out, it's only $10 if you preorder it.

Kind of hesitant after the last Descent style game I tried was so bad though.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

spider wisdom posted:

Goes well with your Bridget Jones' Diary dvd.

I'm jealous too

I was hoping nobody would notice those. :saddowns: I haven't touched anything on that shelf in ages.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

NoodleBox posted:

And also that if you do work on a sequel, it takes place between the years of 1928-2028 and follows Caleb scouring the four corners of the earth eliminating whatever sort of unearthly horrors managed to narrowly escape his rage during his first harrowing adventure

Unearthly horrors such as the original Blood sequel. Caleb traveling through time and blasting game boxes with dynamite would be more acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Brutal Doom changelog
I think I'm especially fond of the "Cacodemons can be set on fire" line. I hope this means we'll get squealing balls of fire careening erratically around the map in a vain attempt to put themselves out before slamming into an obstacle and exploding.