Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Snak posted:

They probably built all their cities in the sky to avoid disrupting nature...

Think of all the birds they killed because they flew into an invisible city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MrBling posted:

Think of all the birds they killed because they flew into an invisible city.

I didn't say they weren't morons... I said that's probably why they built their city's in the sky. It's like all the times the ancients were like "this devices is too dangerous to use, but we wont dismantle it or leave good documentation, we'll just turn it off and abandon it somewhere.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

I didn't say they weren't morons... I said that's probably why they built their city's in the sky. It's like all the times the ancients were like "this devices is too dangerous to use, but we wont dismantle it or leave good documentation, we'll just turn it off and abandon it somewhere.

Oh? This device that we used to create life in the galaxy? The one that can literally annihilate everything in the Universe with a push of a button? We'll just leave it right here. Don't worry we sealed it behind a door that reads "three days to the chicken" until you turn the big obvious wheel upside down. No one will ever solve this master puzzle.

And this ascend-machine? We'll just leave it right here in a random lab in Atlantis. We'll not even really turn it off. Anyone who is even 10,000 years removed from us will still be able to active it through our super-resilient genes. They can then just flip this switch and turn into goo. There's a 10% chance the device will not kill whoever pushes the button, and even then there's a 99% chance those who DO survive will just die of severe brain trauma.

Also, you know those stupid nanobot machines we made that eventually gained sentience and asked us to not make them so genocidal? We just nuked their homeworld from orbit. Yeah, if even one cell of them survived, they can easily replicate ad infinitium and eventually try to destroy the Universe again. But what are the chances of that happeneing?

Dudes, I totally rigged the stargates to just automatically shut down after 38 minutes for no reason whatsoever. :xd:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Unrelated to the Ancients as assholes talk, there was a phenomenal Daniel Jackson cosplayer at DragonCon this year. I seriously thought he was Michael Shanks walking around the con when I first saw him.

DragonCon 2013 Parade-182 by King_of_Games, on Flickr

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Doggles posted:

Unrelated to the Ancients as assholes talk, there was a phenomenal Daniel Jackson cosplayer at DragonCon this year. I seriously thought he was Michael Shanks walking around the con when I first saw him.

He's not nearly sexy enough. :colbert:

Edit: maybe like Season 1 Jackson. I'll give you that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also too drat skinny. Speaking of Shanks, he was pretty great on Burn Notice a few years back.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Doggles posted:

Not fooling anyone with that bandanna, baldy Daniel Jackson.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Say good bye to the tv franchise for certain it seems, Roland Emmerich is saying he's been in talks with MGM to reboot the movie.

http://www.digitalspy.com.au/movies/news/a513056/stargate-to-receive-movie-reboot-trilogy-planned.html

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Senor Tron posted:

Say good bye to the tv franchise for certain it seems, Roland Emmerich is saying he's been in talks with MGM to reboot the movie.

http://www.digitalspy.com.au/movies/news/a513056/stargate-to-receive-movie-reboot-trilogy-planned.html

He's been saying that for 15 years. He would have to pull some serious magic out of his rear end to make anyone give two shits about a rebooted movie.

That being said, I'd probably still go see it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

GreenNight posted:

He would have to pull some serious magic out of his rear end to make anyone give two shits about a rebooted movie.

This is so wrong, we spent a couple pages just now talking about how the movie was the best Stargate. :colbert:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

WarLocke posted:

This is so wrong, we spent a couple pages just now talking about how the movie was the best Stargate. :colbert:

Right, but that's not the general opinion of most normal people.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
I really just want more Stargate, in any form.

Also, am I a horrible person for hating every Keller-focused SGA episode?

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I don't like the idea of a reboot. I would probably still go see it, though. How the gently caress are they going to make a sequel for Independence Day?

vandelay industries posted:

I really just want more Stargate, in any form.

Also, am I a horrible person for hating every Keller-focused SGA episode?

I really disliked The Seed, but the others were alright. The worst episodes in SGA were the pregnant Teyla/Michael focused episodes. :suicide:

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

Troll Bridgington posted:

I don't like the idea of a reboot. I would probably still go see it, though. How the gently caress are they going to make a sequel for Independence Day?

I really disliked The Seed, but the others were alright. The worst episodes in SGA were the pregnant Teyla/Michael focused episodes. :suicide:

I just never liked Keller as a primary character; she was fine in small doses when she had a few scenes here and there per episode early on when they introduced her. Cute, yeah, but I think there was something about her that just annoyed me?

EDIT: I really liked Michael as a villain, he seemed interesting, but they just used him the wrong way (i.e. with Teyla's stupid pregnancy)

vandelay industries fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 6, 2013

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What the hell does this mean on the Stargate Wiki trivia for Ripple Effect?

quote:

This is the first and only episode of the series to feature a version of Dr. Daniel Jackson from an alternate reality. However, versions of the character from different alternate timelines had previously appeared in the Season Four episode "2010" and the Season Eight finale "Moebius, Part 1" and "Moebius, Part 2".

"This is the first and only time an alternate reality Daniel Jackson has been on the show, except for those other couple times." :downs:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Met posted:

"This is the first and only time an alternate reality Daniel Jackson has been on the show, except for those other couple times." :downs:

I guess they're making the distinction between parallel universes (via quantum mirror) and alternate timelines (via solar flare-stargate/Ancient time travel device).

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

vandelay industries posted:

I just never liked Keller as a primary character; she was fine in small doses when she had a few scenes here and there per episode early on when they introduced her. Cute, yeah, but I think there was something about her that just annoyed me?
I wasn't a fan of Keller either. She came across as too much of a nerd bait character to me.
Though that might be because Keller is portrayed by Jewel Staite and elements of Keller reminded me of Kaylee from Firefly.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 6, 2013

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Met posted:

An alternate time-line due to time-travel-fuckery is different from an alternate reality that exists independent of any time-travel-fuckery.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'll :spergin: with the best of them, but that's a bit of a silly distinction.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
For the purposes of Stargate's storytelling it's fairly useful.

"If it's a parallel dimension the rules are X" (e.g. you can blow up the other dimension and it's no big deal)

"If it's an alternate timeline the rules are Y" (e.g. you can have fun recursive time travel loops)

The show actually does a pretty good job of keeping them distinct.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Met posted:

I'll :spergin: with the best of them, but that's a bit of a silly distinction.

Not really, they're completely different things. Time travel and travel to parallel universes are totally unrelated, the only relation in this case is that they both involved different versions of Daniel Jackson. The show portrays the scenarios totally differently too.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
One day, I'd love an episode of a scifi show where someone uses a time machine and immediately suffocates upon doing so because his time machine didn't move him in space, just in time.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

JetsGuy posted:

One day, I'd love an episode of a scifi show where someone uses a time machine and immediately suffocates upon doing so because his time machine didn't move him in space, just in time.

Red Dwarf did this, they went back in time but were still just as lost in space. (and of course in the very next series they retconned the same time travel device to make them travel in time AND space, but Red Dwarf has always been about what would get a laugh more than giving a poo poo about canon)

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 6, 2013

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Hard Clumping posted:

Red Dwarf did this, they went back in time but were still just as lost in space. (and of course in the very next series they retconned the same time travel device to make them travel in time AND space, but Red Dwarf has always been about what would get a laugh more than giving a poo poo about canon)

Awesome. Another great reason to go back and watch Red Dwarf, because I completely forgot about it, and I think I only saw season/series 1 anyway.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

JetsGuy posted:

Awesome. Another great reason to go back and watch Red Dwarf, because I completely forgot about it, and I think I only saw season/series 1 anyway.

I gotta be honest I only really liked series 2 and I hate myself for it. The Holly Hop episode in that series is my very favorite, and each subsequent series had some element to it that really kept me from liking it (such as the completely formulaic plot in every single series 6 episode). I still say I like the show because I really enjoy its spirit and I'm glad it exists, I just really don't enjoy very many episodes :-X

Stargate chat, I really really really wanna start a rewatch but I have problems with Amazon instant watch. MGM needs to make up with Netflix, those two are good for each other and they just don't realize it.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

Didn't move him in space relative to what? No preferred reference frame, remember. Relative to a point on the surface of the Earth is a perfectly valid one, as much as any other. Even in real life physics, there really isn't any such thing as "the same place" when you're talking about different times.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Hard Clumping posted:

Stargate chat, I really really really wanna start a rewatch but I have problems with Amazon instant watch. MGM needs to make up with Netflix, those two are good for each other and they just don't realize it.

I've been watching through again on Amazon and here's my take:

- The most glaring difference, watch wise, is Amazon has the syndication versions, not the DVD versions. You'll notice a difference.

- Is it really that loving hard to have a "next episode" thing Amazon? gently caress.

I get that Amazon doesn't do it so someone paying per episode wouldn't get charged out the rear end, but I'd be happy with a system where it auto plays the next episode so long as it is free or something.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

JetsGuy posted:

I've been watching through again on Amazon and here's my take:

- The most glaring difference, watch wise, is Amazon has the syndication versions, not the DVD versions. You'll notice a difference.

- Is it really that loving hard to have a "next episode" thing Amazon? gently caress.

I get that Amazon doesn't do it so someone paying per episode wouldn't get charged out the rear end, but I'd be happy with a system where it auto plays the next episode so long as it is free or something.

I'll agree with all of this and add that it's hilarious that we're getting 4:3 versions of older episodes when all of it was done in widescreen (at least season 3 onward, that's the one DVD set i have. Worth it whenever I get an urge to watch Urgo)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

JetsGuy posted:

And this ascend-machine? We'll just leave it right here in a random lab in Atlantis. We'll not even really turn it off. Anyone who is even 10,000 years removed from us will still be able to active it through our super-resilient genes. They can then just flip this switch and turn into goo. There's a 10% chance the device will not kill whoever pushes the button, and even then there's a 99% chance those who DO survive will just die of severe brain trauma.

Also, you know those stupid nanobot machines we made that eventually gained sentience and asked us to not make them so genocidal? We just nuked their homeworld from orbit. Yeah, if even one cell of them survived, they can easily replicate ad infinitium and eventually try to destroy the Universe again. But what are the chances of that happeneing?
Except if I remember correctly both of those scenarios wouldn't have actually happened had it not been for the Atlantis expedition. Remember Atlantis was effectively scrapped by the Ancients. It was the last remaining outpost and they actually left it to rust at the bottom of the ocean. It was the idiot who built the time jumpers who actually changed it. As for the Asurans well that was actually Rodney's fault.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 6, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Raygereio posted:

I wasn't a fan of Keller either. She came across as too much of a nerd bait character to me.
Though that might be because Keller is portrayed by Jewel Staite and elements of Keller reminded me of Kaylee from Firefly.

She's typecast now as a quirky sci fi dream wife.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Watching the movie again (I think I have the 'extended' version, not the theatrical), and god drat is that intro with the Egyptian orchestral whatever music so much more badass than SG-1's. :black101:

e: Nope, there goes the Horus-guard-fused-in-rock scene. I don't remember this scene :3:

e: And something else the show seemed to outright ignore, there were hardly ever any pyramids on other planets to act as landing points for pyramid ships. At least, I don't remember ever seeing any.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 7, 2013

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I know there was one in the bracelet one.

E: Also, Thor's Chariot.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 7, 2013

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SG-1 tended not to go to fortified Goa'uld worlds though. Earth was Ra's power base and the planet in the bracelet episode was a fortress so of course they'd have pyramids.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Also, it's established fairly early on that Ra was ~*supreme*~ system lord so therefore it stands to reason that he had some special/unique ships.

night_chrono
Dec 10, 2008

JetsGuy posted:

:laugh:

I *am* being serious though, I don't remember which SG1 episode but they talked about how really only a few of the Zats actually moved because somehow they were ridiculous money to make. /shrug

EDIT:
Speaking of, why weren't there ANY zats on Atlantis?

There were two versions of the zat prop. The first version was powered by air pressure so whenever they popped up it was because the actor had just squeezed a pouch that was hidden up their sleeve. They were also crazy difficult to shut so thats why we never saw them close on screen in the early seasons.

The second version was motorized and could open/close on screen without needing any hidden effects, but they were prone to breaking.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

Never been able to do the idea justice myself, but I've had the idea for years of a scifi universe where FTL travel is 100% impossible, but time travel is fairly easy. So people spread out to other stars by moving forward/backwards in time and relying on the fact that universal expansion, movement of galaxies and so on means that you will end up encountering different stuff at that point in space in different times.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The two-part Heroes episodes in season 7 are probably the best episodes in all of SG1.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Heh, was watching SG1 in syndication today, and it turns out to be episode 200, with the thread title.

I just saw Cory Monteith shoot up a goa'uld in the back in the "younger, edgier versions" of SG1. It was interesting to watch that in a new context.

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.
Watching Ethon (s9e15) It never fails to annoy the hell out of me they take forever to decide to shoot at the satellite. They went there to destroy the thing in one of the limited Earth assets and sit discussing if they should shoot or not. :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

Shux posted:

Watching Ethon (s9e15) It never fails to annoy the hell out of me they take forever to decide to shoot at the satellite. They went there to destroy the thing in one of the limited Earth assets and sit discussing if they should shoot or not. :bang:

Haha I can't believe I remember feeling VERY annoyed about that very same thing as well. Plot devices can be frustrating.