Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Walter_Sobchak posted:

Uh, there's no way in hell you should be working in a call center with a CCNA. whereabouts in the country do you live?

Atlanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Bob Morales posted:

Don't list every computer program you've ever used or the fact that you're in a My Little Pony club. The time to bring interests and poo poo up is when you're asked or you see a pony on an interviewers desk.

Interview tip: Never bring up My Little Pony in an interview, even if asked. Even if the interviewer has a pony on his desk. Keep that secret shame secret, man.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Interview tip: Never bring up My Little Pony in an interview, even if asked. Even if the interviewer has a pony on his desk. Keep that secret shame secret, man.

You'd probably recognize the guy from PonyCon the minute you see him.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Don't list every computer program you've ever used or the fact that you're in a My Little Pony club.

There are some outside interests that would be very relevant to an employer. Such as a computer security club at a university. Any sane project manager would want to know that your team made it to finals at the defcon ctf, for example.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

QPZIL posted:

I have a CCNA and I'm a week away from an MCSA in Server 2012, and I work in a cube farm helpdesk :downs:
YOTJ dude. The market really isn't bad enough for you to subject yourself to that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Was it someone here that recommended the Ship Show podcast? I'm through episode 3 and there is so much incredibly dumb poo poo being said about DevOps that I want to throw my iPod out the window. Clearly no one on the show has any god damned idea what it means, but that doesn't stop them from ranting on and on about what makes a good DevOps engineer or how to hire for your DevOps team or how there is no difference between a "DevOps guy" and a "build engineer". It's like a million nails on a million chalkboards. They seem to be equating the term with "Technical Lead" or something. One guy once or twice tried to point out that it's a company culture and not a job title, but he kept getting shouted down.

Some lightly paraphrased quotes:

"A DevOps guy doesn't ignore those compiler warnings the dev team always glosses over."

"A DevOps guy knows how to change the registry key to fix the bug no one else can handle"

"A DevOps guy might write code in the morning and rack a server in the afternoon"

"I don't buy this DevOps fad. It seems like a DevOps guy is just a build engineer with a flashy title"

:commissar: :negative: :smithicide:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
DevOps is a method of interrelation between two area of information technology :psyduck:

I mean it's literally in the name, how the hell

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

QPZIL posted:

DevOps is a method of interrelation between two area of information technology :psyduck:

I mean it's literally in the name, how the hell

It's a show about build and release engineering, so I get that they want to present things through that lens. But they seem to have just heard the word on The Twitters or something and decided it means "a really awesome build engineer who knows everything and rules... like us :smuggo:"

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
"A DevOps guy would reinvent the wheel multiple times so he could put new, buzzwordy tools on his resume"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So who's gonna poke fun at the next infosec meeting

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Time to start sending email in Navajo...

edit: don't make NSA jokes, this seriously just happened :tinfoil::

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 6, 2013

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Docjowles posted:

"A DevOps guy might write code in the morning and rack a server in the afternoon"

gently caress.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

It's illegal if they were to say "You cannot take a lunch break", yes. I am not taking a break out of choice. (In the UK, by the way.)

EU working time directive makes this not only potentially illegal, but impossible to opt out of.

In the UK we have an option to opt out of the total hours/week portion, but the rest is always in effect.

EU posted:

art 3 there must daily rest of 11 hours per 24 hour period
art 4 a rest period for every six hours, set by legislation or collective agreement
art 5 weekly rest of 24 hours uninterrupted, on top of the daily rest in art 3, but derogation justifiable for technical, organisational or work reasons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Time_Directive

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 6, 2013

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
^ that's an interesting way to phrase the 11 hour thing. I thought it was 11 hours between shifts, not per 24 hours

Just thinking of the shift workers in our place - could be asked to do a 1pm-9pm then a 6am-2pm (9 hours gap) but you are still getting 16 hours of your own time per day... to be fair it would be exceptional circumstance to be asked to do that (or overtime!)

I am working on a project at the moment so the part time guy at my normal place got bumped up to full time to cover, then his security check failed and he got walked off site.
I wasn't really listening properly and I thought my boss was trying to get me pulled off my project to my normal place of work to cover.

Then it turned out what he really wanted to do was promote me up to my project on a permanent basis so we could advertise a vacancy where I usually work.

So when the vacancy for the IT manager of the project I'm on comes up, my boss has already shown his cards and I think I'll be :yotj: 'ing in the next 6 months

In the end part time guy sorted his clearance and got back on site so we wall lived happily ever after.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I need opinions / advice from people removed from the situation, IE Goons.

Currently, I work at a small community bank as an Information Security Analyst-- I'm set to be Information Security Officer for the company within 6 months. Here is some info on my current job:
  • Making $30k a year - merit increases biannually
  • Bonus this year should be $600 or more; benefits include 'little' things like Christmas party giveaways, boss appreciation in the form of gift cards, etc
  • 6% 401k match-- translates to about $1,800 a year
  • Company will pay for Certificates and training
  • 10 days of vacation until 5 years (been here 3)- thereafter +1/yr. ISO promotion bumps vaca to 15 days
  • Federal holidays off (10 in 2013)
  • Stress level is Medium to High
  • No admin privs on PC or network - very closed environment

I am looking at taking a job with a state university. I've worked there before and know the environment, and really like the job. I left because I graduated and it was a student position. Network Analyst and Computer Technician:
  • Starting at $29k - NO merit increases, cost of living or title change only
  • No Bonuses-- fringe benefits include gym access, tuition comp, sporting event pass
  • TIAA-CREF 401k - I'm not sure if there's a match or any free funds from this
  • No certificate comps; however, I can take one class per semester free of charge and on the clock
  • 12 days vaca starting, 15 days at 3yrs
  • 17 paid holiday days in 2013
  • Very low stress level - barely any real 'work' (gov't job)
  • complete network and PC freedom
  • Cell phone provided

I think I hit on most the important stuff. One thing to consider is Student Loan forgiveness-- I have a substantial StuLoan debt, and am taking advantage of the Income-base repayment option with remaining debt forgiveness at 25 years of payments. With a public service or gov't job, that drops to just 10 years of payments.

Insurance benefits are just about equal for the jobs-- the University job would save me about $25 per paycheck on medical. Very similar (if not the same) plans.

InfoSec is OK; however, I really have a passion for hardware / networking. I am ready to be out of banking, the stress and closed environment is getting to me. It basically boils down to money vs what I really want to do. I know the way I'm presenting this is bias toward the new job, but I wanted to see if anyone had any insight I might not have considered.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It sounds like you want to make the leap. There's only so much that money can do to compensate for lousy quality of life.

I would say don't stay at the bank for anything less than double your current salary. It's up to you though.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
The best advice I have is, if it's a job that you're not that happy at, it'd better be paying you well so that you can leap in a year or two to either a happy job, or another unhappy job that scales up the pay accordingly.

Treat yourself like a sports free agent that's just looking for the team with the largest amount of money to throw at you until you love where you are.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Are you someplace with super low cost of living? $29k seems absurdly bad for any sort of IT work, even entry level.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CloFan posted:

I need opinions / advice from people removed from the situation, IE Goons.

I think I hit on most the important stuff. One thing to consider is Student Loan forgiveness-- I have a substantial StuLoan debt, and am taking advantage of the Income-base repayment option with remaining debt forgiveness at 25 years of payments. With a public service or gov't job, that drops to just 10 years of payments.

Insurance benefits are just about equal for the jobs-- the University job would save me about $25 per paycheck on medical. Very similar (if not the same) plans.

InfoSec is OK; however, I really have a passion for hardware / networking. I am ready to be out of banking, the stress and closed environment is getting to me. It basically boils down to money vs what I really want to do. I know the way I'm presenting this is bias toward the new job, but I wanted to see if anyone had any insight I might not have considered.

I've never seen anyone terribly unhappy to leave the financial sector (at least from an IT perspective), but on the other hand most of the people I know who end up working for a university have become terribly lazy people who become largely unhirable outside of an academic environment (I've interviewed countless university employees whose only responsibility was a SINGLE server that wasn't even particularly critical, and their skills atrophied over time).

On the plus side, the university environment probably gives you a lot more "playing around" time to build up skills and learn what you want as long as you stay motivated.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 6, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Higher ed can be a good experience if you hit a certain sweet-spot in the size of the student body, generally between 1000-5000. Schools of that size usually have a centralized IT department and are small enough that you'll be taking on a diverse set of roles, but big enough to have a decent IT budget. My first IT job was working desktop/network support at a college with 1500 students and I did everything from end user support, to imaging labs, to pulling cables and punching down jacks. We had one network engineer who was responsible for the entire campus (and had pretty much total control over purchasing and design) and a network administrator that helped her out with the student network.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Docjowles posted:

Are you someplace with super low cost of living? $29k seems absurdly bad for any sort of IT work, even entry level.

Yea, that's the realm of entry-level helpdesk, mid-level geeksquad, or working at a networking consulting place with 0 certs.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat it I think I shot myself in the foot with this YOTJ business :(

For the past couple months I've been waiting for the Systems Admin job posting here to close so that I could get an interview and see where that goes. The other Systems Admin has been hinting to our boss that I should get it, and I've been getting my MCSA:WS2012 and CCNA in preparation so that he sees how serious I am.

Today in our 1-on-1 meeting, he said, "I'm getting ready to do interviews for the SysAdmin job, so I did get your resume, and we'll do that. But you know, here's a thought, I see how much you've been enjoying networking stuff, I really think you'd be better in a Network Engineer role. If I were to ask the CIO about doing that, I think that's a path that you'd be good for. I can't promise anything, but I'll see if I can get that pushed through within the next 6-8 months..."

:suicide:

I flat out told him that I wasn't going to be a Helpdesk tech here for the next ~8 months with a CCNA, MCSA, and potentially JNCIA/CCDA/CCNP/something by then, on the CHANCE that a networking position MIGHT become available. I'm not that naive.

Sigh, I was really getting excited about the SysAdmin job, that kind of took the wind out of my sails. Oh well! If I can't advance here, I'll advance elsewhere.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thank you all for the opinions! This helps me weigh my options.

Docjowles posted:

Rural Arkansas.. so yes. Although 29 is still pretty low.

Maneki Neko posted:

I've never seen anyone terribly unhappy to leave the financial sector (at least from an IT perspective), but on the other hand most of the people I know who end up working for a university have become terribly lazy people who become largely unhirable outside of an academic environment
The only reason I'd be unhappy to leave is because the company really is remarkable. They treat employees well, give back to the communities they serve, and really has been a great place to work. From the IT perspective.. yeah, I want out. The employees at the Uni are indeed pretty lazy, like you said I'd just have to keep up motivation to continue my education and skills.

psydude posted:

Higher ed can be a good experience if you hit a certain sweet-spot in the size of the student body, generally between 1000-5000. Schools of that size usually have a centralized IT department and are small enough that you'll be taking on a diverse set of roles, but big enough to have a decent IT budget. My first IT job was working desktop/network support at a college with 1500 students and I did everything from end user support, to imaging labs, to pulling cables and punching down jacks. We had one network engineer who was responsible for the entire campus (and had pretty much total control over purchasing and design) and a network administrator that helped her out with the student network.
That's where I'd be. ~3500 students in a small to mid size campus. Centralized IT with 10 employees, and is pretty cushy. The tasks are pretty much exactly what you said.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Would it be worse if they bumped you up to syaadmin and then gave you the network engineer roles (without any extra pay) down the road?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

QPZIL posted:

For the past couple months I've been waiting for the Systems Admin job posting here to close so that I could get an interview and see where that goes. The other Systems Admin has been hinting to our boss that I should get it, and I've been getting my MCSA:WS2012 and CCNA in preparation so that he sees how serious I am.

Today in our 1-on-1 meeting, he said, "I'm getting ready to do interviews for the SysAdmin job, so I did get your resume, and we'll do that. But you know, here's a thought, I see how much you've been enjoying networking stuff, I really think you'd be better in a Network Engineer role. If I were to ask the CIO about doing that, I think that's a path that you'd be good for. I can't promise anything, but I'll see if I can get that pushed through within the next 6-8 months..."

I flat out told him that I wasn't going to be a Helpdesk tech here for the next ~8 months with a CCNA, MCSA, and potentially JNCIA/CCDA/CCNP/something by then, on the CHANCE that a networking position MIGHT become available. I'm not that naive.

Sigh, I was really getting excited about the SysAdmin job, that kind of took the wind out of my sails. Oh well! If I can't advance here, I'll advance elsewhere.

You didn't shoot yourself in the foot, you stood your ground and told them that you're worth more. Good for you.

Don't wait around. If they don't want to offer you a sysadmin position, someone else will. Your boss may be just trying to keep you from pursuing it because he either has someone else he wants there or he wants you to stay on the helpdesk team. Either way, if he's not going to give you the chance, and you're worth having a chance taken on, find someone willing. You'll likely get a better raise going to a new company, too.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

QPZIL posted:

I don't think you shot yourself in the foot it sounds more like a "Let me see if I can keep a carrot in front of this guy too keep him under me" type of thing. If someone said that to me I would resume up, get some offers see how much better you can do.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Docjowles posted:

where I work, entry level break/fix hardware support engineers start at $20k (technically £14.5k) :ssh: whereas myself as a contractor doing the same job am earning nearly $37k :smuggo: . Only problem is, naturally, the lack of security of a full time contract but gently caress it, if I can stretch this out for two years and get into server engineering roles, I can roll that into a better paid role elsewhere. I've blagged my way into my ideal job, going to grab the opportunity with both hands

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
If you were a student entering a new subject what would you want to see from a (vcp) professor. I feel so far pretty confident but want to perfect it.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 7, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

If you were a student entering a new subject what would you want to see from a (vcp) professor. I feel so far pretty confident but want to perfect it.

Start every class with an enthusiastic rendition of clang clang clang went the trolly while wearing a pickelhaube and dancing around the room :colbert:

Realistically, I'd want to see it vendor neutralized as much as possible. Concepts > execution on a single platform.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Okay good to see I am doing something right

Also gently caress going out again on a Friday night like some people suggested, I tried that my debt card was given out to some random person. Yeah great advice to go out, I'll stay inside and study more...

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.
So good news, the interviews have progressed and I do believe I wowed the hiring managers. I've got a call with the CTO of one of the companies on Wednesday. Gotta say I'm pretty pumped! Network infrastructure, here I come.

:yotj:

This man speaks the truth.
VVVVVV

Back of the Bus fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 7, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Would it be worse if they bumped you up to syaadmin and then gave you the network engineer roles (without any extra pay) down the road?

1. Get sysadmin title
2. Acquire network engineering roles
3. Learn about network engineering for 6 months
4. Jump ship and make 200-300% more than previous job

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

psydude posted:

Jump ship and make 200-300% more than previous job

On the same subject - what's the biggest raise or salary jump anyone has received?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

52k.

I want to go for 100k for my next position just to say I did it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
15k for ditching my career as an electronics technician and going IT.

Hopefully it makes me spoiled so I won't accept anything less the next time I try to move up

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

psydude posted:

52k.

I want to go for 100k for my next position just to say I did it.

Easy peasy lemon squeesy in my area, but I suggest moving!

Charlotte NC Cya in 3 years, hope some goons are willing to have a drink or two.'

Also if anyone wants to https://www.facebook.com/john.edwards.1614 is my FB I won't reveal who you are but would like to network with a few of ya'll

Tab8715 posted:

On the same subject - what's the biggest raise or salary jump anyone has received?

~40k

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 7, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

I've grabbed ~50% bumps in between positions three times now. The one exception is my current full-time role, where I took a small cut in base salary (but increased my take-home due to good insurance) to get a few years of managerial experience in.

I'm on the higher end of market rate for systems engineering now, so that trend won't likely continue unless I land a Director of Operations position somewhere.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
My dream is to be a VCDX one day and boost my salary over 100k. I'll do whatever it takes to get there, if I am proved wrong a thousand times at least I learned something. I just want to be the best Virtual/network/storage/teacher guy I can be.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 7, 2013

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Tab8715 posted:

Doubled it twice in five years by changing jobs upward both times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Speaking of raises. My lead told us during lunch that there is effectively no such thing as a < 1% raise :geno:.

One guy who is probably a better tech than I ever will be actually got a high score on his review. They bumped the score down and gave him the 1%. He since moved up in the company but still. This place is so cheap that they could only offer a measly 10% raise (the max even for the king of bosses) to retain the WAN guy, who promptly told them to gently caress off. Now his duties fall piecemeal to all the other network guys, with no bump in salary.

This basically communicates that hard work will not be rewarded or recognized. The only reason I keep it up now is because I'm nobody's favorite so I'm trying to overcompensate to keep my head above water.

• Locked thread