Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

chono's gear looks just so uncomfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

tigerdriver82 posted:

What's Tajiri's WNC like? Is it similar to SMASH?
It looks to be SMASH without the burden of ever taping a loving thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

It looks to be SMASH without the burden of ever taping a loving thing.

And without the burden of paying talent.

tigerdriver82
Jun 15, 2009

Yo, you best
~Protect Your Neck~
Ah yeah, again and again!
Really? That's a bit poo poo. I really wanted to check it out...Oh, well. Do New Japan release dvds of their PPVs and iPPvs? I would to watch some of their recent stuff but my internet connection is uhh...not good.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

MassRafTer posted:

And without the burden of paying talent.
Yup Kana and AKIRA were in a barbedwire deathmatch and then quit the company almost immediately after for not getting paid. Both are big enough names they were free to go and do whatever they wanted to. A lot of the remaining talent are just exclusively students of Tajiri or long-time friends.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

tigerdriver82 posted:

Really? That's a bit poo poo. I really wanted to check it out...Oh, well. Do New Japan release dvds of their PPVs and iPPvs? I would to watch some of their recent stuff but my internet connection is uhh...not good.

http://shop.njpw.co.jp/products/list.php?category_id=99

Yeah, but you're looking at around 40 USD to start, plus I'm pretty sure you'd have to go through one of those intermediary shipping sites to get it shipped outside of Japan.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Flameingblack posted:

Yup Kana and AKIRA were in a barbedwire deathmatch and then quit the company almost immediately after for not getting paid. Both are big enough names they were free to go and do whatever they wanted to. A lot of the remaining talent are just exclusively students of Tajiri or long-time friends.
That happened last June. Kana wrestled for WNC in November and AKIRA is still there. Soooooo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
SHINSUKE NAKAMURA HAS A MUSIC ALBUM?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

WRESTLE-1 debut show will be on iPPV on USTREAM for $20 http://www.ustream.tv/w-1

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

golden oldies pete posted:

WRESTLE-1 debut show will be on iPPV on USTREAM for $20 http://www.ustream.tv/w-1

they have a week and the card isn't fully announced. Not really feeling this, Mutoh.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

hello Shiraishi what are your plans since you are resigning as AJPW president?

oh

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

he went out with a bang

tigerdriver82
Jun 15, 2009

Yo, you best
~Protect Your Neck~
Ah yeah, again and again!
AJPW are doing death matches now?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

it was in ZERO1

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I'm going to Japan in November and am thinking about getting tickets to a DDT show at Korakuen Hall. Has anyone else here been to DDT?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

please tell me this up on YouTube. death match night may ride again.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I am growing to love this crazy bastard.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

echopapa posted:

I'm going to Japan in November and am thinking about getting tickets to a DDT show at Korakuen Hall. Has anyone else here been to DDT?
I have, though to one of their summertime Beer Festival shows, which are the best value in pro wrestling. Anything in particular you're curious about?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

echopapa posted:

If you need help I can do some looking online to check the schedule and figure out how you get tickets. I have my suspicions, but I'll check and see later.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
My hope is that I can navigate their site through an automatic translator and buy tickets with my Yankee credit card, but I may have to settle for buying something once I'm there. Do they usually sell out? Am I screwed if I have to buy at the door?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
They almost never sell out, which is part of what makes the 5000+ attendance every year at Sumo Hall/Budokan so nuts.

AtomicDrop
Nov 7, 2011

echopapa posted:

My hope is that I can navigate their site through an automatic translator and buy tickets with my Yankee credit card, but I may have to settle for buying something once I'm there. Do they usually sell out? Am I screwed if I have to buy at the door?

Provided it still exists (and why shouldn't it?), you can go to the ticket office in the same building as Korakuen Hall and buy tickets to wrestling/mma/boxing shows in the tokyo area (and in some cases beyond if I remember correctly). They have binders with handy seating charts at the counter so you can just point at the seat you want. Very easy, very convenient and no credit card fees ;).

But yes, there should also be plenty of tickets left at the door.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Apparently Akebono has signed an exclusive contract with AJPW. Yay...?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

harperdc posted:

Apparently Akebono has signed an exclusive contract with AJPW. Yay...?

Definitely YAY! Because that means we now won't have to endure him in NJPW pre-show or random 6-man tag matches any longer.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Akebono was always used well and was a unique performer in NJPW. I don't think him leaving from his current position in the card is a positive move.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

WRESTLE-1 is ongoing and is good, you should have got it

edit:

quote:

• Daiki Inaba and Hiroshi Yamato defeated Tokyo Gurentai (Mazada and Nosawa Rongai)
  • Kohei Sato (ZERO-1) and Ryoji Sai (ZERO-1) defeated Ryota Hama and Yasufumi Nakanoue
  • Yoshiko (STARDOM) defeated Mayu Iwatani (STARDOM)
  • Junior Stars (Koji Kanemoto and Minoru Tanaka) defeated Fujita Hayato (Michinoku Pro) and Masaaki Mochizuki (Dragon Gate)
  • Strong BJ (Daisuke Sekimoto and Yuji Okabayashi) (BJW) defeated Team 246 (Kaz Hayashi and Shuji Kondo)
  • Laughter7 (Katsuyori Shibata and Kazushi Sakuraba) defeated Stack of Arms (Masakatsu Funaki and Masayuki Kono)
  • Kai defeated Seiya Sanada
  • Bob Sapp and Keiji Mutoh defeated René Duprée and Zodiac

mostly good show but the main event was as good as it looks, Sekimoto & Okabayashi vs. Team 246 was the best match, Junior Stars vs. Hayato + Mochizuki & Laughter7 vs. Stack of Arms were good too.

next big show is in October in Korakuen Hall and features DOUBLE J - JEFF JARRETT

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 8, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I found a bunch of my old dvds from back when I first started getting into puro and it is terrifying how much of a mark for Shinjiro Ohtani I apparently was, because I have like three hours worth of him doing kicks to the face and unnecessary headdrops. I'm watching a match right now where he and the Ultimo Dragon did the old 'hit me, now I no-sell it and hit you, repeat four or five times' exchange...with tombstone piledrivers.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Solomonic posted:

I found a bunch of my old dvds from back when I first started getting into puro and it is terrifying how much of a mark for Shinjiro Ohtani I apparently was, because I have like three hours worth of him doing kicks to the face and unnecessary headdrops. I'm watching a match right now where he and the Ultimo Dragon did the old 'hit me, now I no-sell it and hit you, repeat four or five times' exchange...with tombstone piledrivers.
that rules

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Japan doesn't respect the piledriver much but that match was the worst by several orders of magnitude.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I'm still remembering a NOAH crowd laughing at Samoa Joe.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (
That was the 95 match, right? Their effort in 96 was my favourite when I was younger.

Oh, Ohtani...you should have stayed an underdog rookie forever.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Oh my god this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w13NhZPz7xE&t=139s

(Jump to 2:20 if the video doesn't do it automatically)

edited for correct time sorry!

Strenuous Manflurry fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 9, 2013

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

And no one ever did another piledriver in Japan again.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Ditch posted:

Japan doesn't respect the piledriver much but that match was the worst by several orders of magnitude.

I bow before your puro mastery and concede that you have forgotten more than I have ever seen despite my decades of doing so, so I will note that I believe that 1994 Queendom II tag match between Aja Kong and Bull Nakano vs Akira Hokuto and Shinobu Kandori is the champion of piledrivers. Except instead of trading them they're mostly all done to Akira Hokuto one after the other after the other. Then there are more piledrivers. And a tombstone. And a package piledriver years before Kevin Steen popularized it here. I showed it about a week or two ago during my Wednesday PSP-TV night. The match is about 40 minutes long, but this timecode should give an excerpt of the piledrivers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF_d3Ni8vLk&t=690s

As you can see, that is from the beginning of this match, which commences with a head drop before the opening bell.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w13NhZPz7xE&t=139s

(Jump to 2:20 if the video doesn't do it automatically)

edited for correct time sorry!

Holy poo poo is Otani's tombstone loving poo poo.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I actually said this out loud, verbatim, when it went down. I'm not usually a fan of exchanges that aren't strikes, but they at least sort of work when both guys are popping up with fighting spirit and yelling and what have you (like any time somebody trades backdrops with Shibata). Ultimo just kinda stands up, like 'oh okay now it's my turn'. No hype or anything.

And then at the end he completely overshoots the corkscrew moonsault and looks like an rear end.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Did WRESTLE-1 even promote the card? I would have at least considered it had I known Laughter7 was there.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Daryl Surat posted:

And a package piledriver years before Kevin Steen popularized it here.
One of the greatest joys of watching Joshi is discovering how many Tough Indy Dudes decided "yeah, that's gonna be my finisher" straight after watching a 90s AJW tape.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Tonfa posted:

Did WRESTLE-1 even promote the card? I would have at least considered it had I known Laughter7 was there.

50% of the card was billed as mystery X's including Mutoh's tag partner, not a great way to promote the inaugural event but the surprises were mostly pleasant. Laughter7 were the biggest surprises on the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

W-1 is about to become Whacky Wrestles already

http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/prores/mens_prores/181667/

quote:

9月8日にW-1旗揚げ戦を終えた武藤敬司。旗揚げ戦では他団体から豪華な選手が多数出場したが、今度は大仁田厚が上がる可能性が浮上した。東京スポーツ紙によると、武藤は電流爆破に前向きだという。「爆弾だって、芸能人だってある」と発言。武藤はグレートムタとして、1999年8月の新日本プロレス神宮球場でグレートニタと電流爆破マッチを経験済みだ。実に14年ぶりに電流爆破に出陣することがあるか。ファイティングエンターテインメントとはなんたるかが、今後見えてくるだろう。
Tokyo Sports reported that Keiji Muto of W-1 wants to do blast current of barbed wire death match against Onita. Great Muta did blast current of barbed wired death match against Great Nita at NJPW Jingu show in 1999. It has been 14 years since last time Muto did death match.

between this & Jeff Jarrett's long awaited return to Japan, W-1 seems to be worth keeping an eye on.