Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

1522171. I also think my old Compuserve ID was 71776,7202, but I'm probably wrong on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

6 digit ICQ number checking in. So mad that I forgot my old 5 digit one early on.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I signed in for kicks a couple of years ago. Nothing but spambots :negative:

It's still annoying that AOL bought them just to do absolutely nothing useful with them.

10411879, I think? I had one in the 670k range as well (same for slashdot), but I deleted that one.

It pisses me off because even the newer one was so old that I can't remember my own old password or even which email account I may have been using back when I created it.

It had an interesting/unique use for me. I'm in the US and found Russian cousins (same last name) who found me via listing my last name in the ICQ directory.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My ICQ number was 8916484 before it got stolen (and renamed). I know it was Russians because I was able to Google a messageboard with it where people were bragging about their spoils using an exploit.

CitizenKain posted:

I probably need a vacation, but fitting one in is going to be real pain in the rear end for the next couple of months.
You probably need a new job.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Crowley posted:

2681xxx signing in.

369360300. Always remember it, regardless of me never using it or even looking at it really. Even after 5 years.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

GreenNight posted:

He's actually serious - there was a huge bug in IOS and Exchange that would drain the battery if there was an Exchange account. Apple released an update just to help fix this issue. Recently MS also released some Exchange patches that did the same.
Are you using some sort of MDM provider? If so how often are you polling the devices?
It could also be that there's a badly behaved app that's using APNS for alert messages and is pinging too often.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

There's a company that does some over-the-phone support for us, and at the beginning of every call there a ~1 min blurb about how they want us to take a survey, then after the call another blurb about how we're about to get a survey, then two super short questions. The support people are always great, and I want to give them a high rating every time, but loving stop making me listen to all the other survey related garbage god drat it

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
gently caress Tapes...

That is all.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

gently caress Tapes...

That is all.

My boss loves tapes soo much.

gently caress tapes.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

GreenNight posted:

He's actually serious - there was a huge bug in IOS and Exchange that would drain the battery if there was an Exchange account. Apple released an update just to help fix this issue. Recently MS also released some Exchange patches that did the same.

Was this issue related to the logging issue? IIRC logs would fill up because the device would attempt to connect to exchange 10 times a second. Brought a server down due to disk space at my place before someone figured out what went wrong.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
5 digit ICQ number but not sure I can remember it now!

Also that was my first one, and I had a silly teen drama and deleted it like an idiot. My second one was about 8 digits.

McGlockenshire posted:

I don't have a link to the post, but I do have the images.

This was done by one of the Marketing dudes as a prank on the Director of Marketing, who isn't computer illiterate but acts like he is. We've kept it like that. It's a loaner laptop, so we hand it out when we need to make someone laugh / cry.

Ooh I remember this. I still think it's a good idea! People are pretty dim about operating laptops, and heck, I've had one where I've struggled to find the power button myself.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

There's a company that does some over-the-phone support for us, and at the beginning of every call there a ~1 min blurb about how they want us to take a survey, then after the call another blurb about how we're about to get a survey, then two super short questions. The support people are always great, and I want to give them a high rating every time, but loving stop making me listen to all the other survey related garbage god drat it
I worked on a helpdesk with probably the worst sup I've ever had about a year ago and they wanted us to end every call by asking people to take a survey. It was loving degrading. I didn't last long at that job for various reasons. First place I've ever been fired from.

gently caress Tapes...

That is all.
One of our last DAT72 tapes got eaten today. I have to order more. Compared to some things I have to buy it's not so bad, but Christ these things seem expensive.

In other news I recently decided I drink too much so after labor day I imposed a month long sobriety period on myself. I can only imagine that I'll end up incredibly bored, so I intend to start a few projects I've been putting off like building a Jamma Supergun and a media server. Maybe I will finally figure out how to use mpd.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Was this issue related to the logging issue? IIRC logs would fill up because the device would attempt to connect to exchange 10 times a second. Brought a server down due to disk space at my place before someone figured out what went wrong.

Possibly. We had the issue with the phones dying after an hour. We patched IOS and Exchange and that fixed it. I didn't look into it farther.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bort posted:

Better try -h 300 just to be sure.
Windows won't go up to 300, unfortunately.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Just learned that my last workplace let go their VP of finance and now they're missing $19 million in the budget and no one wants to ask the former VP where it is. Compounded with the incompetent yet micromanaging VP of services becoming the acting president with the departure of the current president, and student enrollment at an all time low, the mood there is doom and gloom.

Doesn't help they sent out letters to everyone going "Things are bad. We're doing massive layoffs. Sorry."

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
gently caress Adobe products. 75% of my problems would go away if we just ordered them in a consistent way, but no, we can't even get that right. Who cares if standardizing on versions and vendors makes everything easier to support, leading to a better user experience? Just let everybody order whatever they want and we'll make it work because that's "Customer Service!"

Fridays are always the worst days, not really sure why.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

gently caress Tapes...

That is all.

I must be a strange one, but I find tape appealing. When I'm running a backup at home from my file server to the LTO drives on my backup server, I get a vague sense of serenity watching my GigE link utilization hover around 95-97% as hundreds of thousands of files are backed up nice and tidy to three little blue-grey cartridges.

I drop them off at my parents' house 45 minutes away wrapped up snug in their ammo can and feel mostly confident that I very likely have tertiary data set stored offsite that will recover properly. Maybe.

But Symantec BackupExec at work backing up a mere sixty vmdks to disk with a tape rotation added?

gently caress backups hard with an unlubed donkey dick.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Veeam 7 backs up directly to tape as of earlier this month? Whoo! Or something!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Yeah I've just been told to implement this to replace BackupExec 12.5 we currently have dumping everything to tape. Doing the virtual servers should be easy but we also have a few physical AIX servers :|

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
A companywide meeting came in...

Tuned out when "leveraging core competencies" was used unironically.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Does Win 8 not have a log off option? I click power and I have sleep, shutdown, restart.

This is seriously the least intuitive OS I have ever loving seen. It's like you click the right maze to find the control panel, do something, go through the same maze and get a completely different set of options with no Control Panel to be found.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Nativity In Black posted:

Does Win 8 not have a log off option? I click power and I have sleep, shutdown, restart.

This is seriously the least intuitive OS I have ever loving seen. It's like you click the right maze to find the control panel, do something, go through the same maze and get a completely different set of options with no Control Panel to be found.
According to Microsoft's site, it looks like you're supposed to use the user element in the Start menu to log off or switch users.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Control Panel is pretty easy to get to once you know about winkey + x. I can't remember how to log off right now

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

TheQat posted:

Control Panel is pretty easy to get to once you know about winkey + x. I can't remember how to log off right now

Thanks for this! I'm sure it will alleviate headaches in the future.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

TheQat posted:

Everything becomes better once you realise Ctrl+Shift+Click runs as administrator.

e: I think WinKey+L lets you sign out from the start screen.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 6, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
win+L locks the workstation.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Holy loving shitballs! I'm so exited about this I'll probably be extremely disappointed when I get to test it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
To log off in Windows 8, click start, then the user name/icon on the top right, then "sign out".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Win 8.1 upgrade is due out soon - when that hits, just right click the Start button and it's the same as winkey + x. That's going to be handy as gently caress for end users.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You can right click the bottom-left hot corner to get the menu right now, as well.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Crowley posted:

Holy loving shitballs! I'm so exited about this I'll probably be extremely disappointed when I get to test it.

It does a bunch of other new stuff too, but I only had like 20 minutes to look at it and it couldn't see my tape drives so I went WELP and carried on with VM->drive->tape until I have a moment to sort the direct bit out.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GreenNight posted:

Win 8.1 upgrade is due out soon - when that hits, just right click the Start button and it's the same as winkey + x. That's going to be handy as gently caress for end users.

Now if they could only do something about shutting down a 2012 server. Hot corner -> settings -> power -> shutdown -> scheduled shutdown sure gets tedious.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It's probably faster to do everything in powershell than dick around with server 2012's GUI.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agrikk posted:

Now if they could only do something about shutting down a 2012 server. Hot corner -> settings -> power -> shutdown -> scheduled shutdown sure gets tedious.

Ctrl+Alt+Del > power button in bottom right hand corner

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Windows 2012 - 2012 ways to log off/shutdown but they all suck.

At least it isn't like 2008 where when you have updates that need installing the default changes from LogOff to Shutdown so if you are not paying attention you could have problems.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
And this is why I use Linux (at work). gently caress you all with the need for GUI's. :smug: CLI interface best interface.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ratbert90 posted:

And this is why I use Linux (at work). gently caress you all with the need for GUI's. :smug: CLI interface best interface.

Stop-Computer -Force -Computername localhost

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 6, 2013

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Stop-Computer -s -m \\localhost

Wait, wouldn't S&M be turn on. It's a turn on for me at least. :rimshot:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Trastion posted:

Wait, wouldn't S&M be turn on. It's a turn on for me at least. :rimshot:

Yeah, I've got it all screwed up. That's what I get for trying to do this from memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Came in from lunch taking my dog to the park, and the COO's exec assistant seems to have been wandering the halls with a forlorn expression and a wireless keyboard for an hour, because I couldn't even get to my office to take off my wet loving jacket.

She put her new batteries in backward. First step of troubleshooting? Wander the halls with a piece of your computer. Obviously.

McGlockenshire posted:

I don't have a link to the post, but I do have the images.

This was done by one of the Marketing dudes as a prank on the Director of Marketing, who isn't computer illiterate but acts like he is. We've kept it like that. It's a loaner laptop, so we hand it out when we need to make someone laugh / cry.
All of our conference room laptops look like this, except I used nice labels. A lot of our grants do this as well because their minimum wage assessors are just unable to do anything without instructions on-hand.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Cant find the "poo poo that pisses you off" thread, so posting here.

We've had 12 Optiplex 790's with power supplies that have blown. These were all purchased a year ago, and are in our offices all over the state.

Anyone else having any similar problems with 790s? We have 90 of them, dont know what the deal is.
This sort of poo poo is why we moved away from dell to Bytespeed (5 year warranty included on every machine, and a dedicated rep who actually bothers to figure out what you're doing and what you need.) We have scores of machines with the same PSU/mobo-with-blown-caps problems from Dell but since they only needed to last 3 years in theory, we didn't really care much until there were only refurbished replacement parts available... $200 PSU? gently caress that! The straw that broke this camel's back was when I'd input a service tag, order the memory it told me I needed and could use, then find out that they hosed up their info and the motherboard couldn't support the memory.. Three different times in a row! (Even crucial's memory recommendation thing had wrong info because it pulled the specs from Dell!)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 6, 2013

• Locked thread