Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Protocol7 posted:

Ah, I was trying to suppress such memories. :smith:

My beef with Blacklist's ending is just the poor layout of the area. Several times I went out of cover randomly or to the wrong side of cover and it was just an exercise in frustration until you figured out how easy it is (this isn't good game design.)

Which part of it? My biggest issue was "unexpected QTE battle" more than actual level design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Ordered this last night and added myself to the google doc. I'm only on the third mission but it'd be cool to run coop with goons some time.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Dogen posted:

Which part of it? My biggest issue was "unexpected QTE battle" more than actual level design

That hosed me too. It was just that cover was far and few between which made it initially pretty hard to get between cover, especially with the whole lights fading in and out thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The ending boss fight is a stupid version of "red light, green light" and I hated it.

BTW I don't know if you guys know this, but in Spies Vs. Mercs Classic Mode you can shoot out certain lights. Any lights that don't have grids around them can be destroyed. I was surprised by how many destructible lights there are in certain areas. For example, it's possible to black out most of the top floor of Hack Point A and all of the windows at Hack Point C in Cartel. I've been playing around in the levels solo trying to figure out optimal paths and such and I'm discovering lots of hiding places that I missed as a Merc. If you're trying to improve your game and don't have anyone to play with, it might be worth your time to poke around solo and see if you missed anything.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Did the people hop into the area and then go into a test-model Jesus pose? Happened when I played through the co-op. Trying it again the next day, we cleared it just fine, I can't figure out what causes that.

Well keep in mind the second time through we played it on Realistic instead of Perfectionist, which I think may have fixed it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The story's strangest aspect is how utterly toothless the game's explicit commentary actually is. Why in the world set levels in such politically charged environs (I'm speaking of the first real level, a particular US base, and the special forces HQ) if you're not going to engage with what they represent.

Black Ops might be jingoistically batshit crazy, but at least its memorably crazy.

I actually threw my controller when we got to the "finish the mission!", "All that matters is the mission!" arbitrary bullshit conflict moment halfway through. Even Steve Seagal would call them out for being so generic.

And there's nothing all that wrong with having a wafer thin story - Ghost Recon future soldier had an absolute mess of a plot but it also existed to set up some clearly insane mission types.

Blacklist's tone was just so solemn and po-faced, it really threw me. I feel sorry for the new Sam Fisher voice actor, because even if Ironside returned we'd still be wondering what the hell happened to Sam's sense of humor.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
PC Patch is out: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/792865-PC-Patch-Notes-2?s=48962ca75baa8d6123fb46541a741cb5

quote:

Hey guys...

We just released a patch for the PC version of Blacklist.
Here's what went in:

CRASH FIXES:

• Fix for crash on startup on DX11 with certain monitors
• Fix memory leak in DX11 constant buffer system
• Fix for hang on controller disconnect in loading screens
• Fix for hang in customize gear screen
• Fix rare crash with host disconnect
• Fix crash in loading screen after getting killed in the tunnel
• Fix hang in coop after checking computers and disconnecting
• Fix crash when equipping tri-rotor in customize gear menu
• Fix coop crash in loading screen
• Fix popup crash in lobbies
• Fix potential audio crash in preload
• Fix crash with exclusive skins in co-op
• Fix for potential hang after pausing cutscene
• Fix frag grenade crash

GAMEPLAY:

• Fix issues with rogue agent scoring
• Fix input for interrogation scenes
• Fix co-op interactions with missing prompts
• Fix for players reaching out of world location in certain missions
• Fix for player getting stuck in kobin back alley
• Fix capture the intel objectives when maximum intel is acquired by one team
• Fix bad spawns during transitions
• Fix getting stuck in door on a specific point on a map
• Fix for exploits in SvsM
• Fix for spy getting out of map
• Fix for merc getting stuck
• Fix for intel getting stuck on gun
• Fix door replication on a specific map in co-op
• Fix some invisible collisions
• Fix some crate collisions
• Fix for objects falling out of world
• Fix getting stuck in corner with crossbow
• Fix for spy weapon abuse
• Fix for getting stuck in transition area in co-op
• Fix for getting stuck in co-op on disconnect
• Balance tweaks for frontal attacks

ONLINE:

• Reduce host migration failures
• Fix clients getting stuck in sessions with multiple simultaneous host migrations
• Improvements to game migration
• Improve speed of getting into game

CONTROLS:

• Fix controller detection when multiple input devices are connected
• Allow gamepad input even if window has no focus
• Debounce use key so holding it down doesn't trigger sequence of actions
• Fix issue where player can get stuck in sprint mode

GRAPHICS:

• Fix trirotor explosion
• Fix visible scope during cinematics
• Support for super widescreen aspect ratios
• Fix character rendering on customization screens on high resolution displays
• Optimise flash depth stencil buffer allocations
• Fix broken tv state
• Fix for targets appearing in bind pose
• Fix merc animation
• Fix issue with unknown resolutions

UI:

• Remove duplicated back button in dead drops sub menu
• Fix erroneous Joy1/Joy2 button prompts when using keyboard
• Fix incorrect message displayed after deploying tri rotor
• Fix mouse auto centering when buying items
• Fix for hud sometimes missing during mark & execute
• Fix with UI getting stuck in customize gear screen whilst upgrading a weapon
• Fix controller selection wheel flicker when you don't have focus
• Fix mouse clipping issue when lowering resolution below monitor's native resolution
• Fix loadout screen missing locks
• Fix weapon placement in customize gear screen
• Fix preview in coop lobby
• Fix view match settings during countdown
• Fix gone dark hint display
• Fix for leaderboard display corruption

SOUND:

• Fix sound loop for mouse over animations in the SMI
• Fix for trirotor sounds in co-op
• Fix lost sound on pause menu in coop
• Fix for audio during controller reconnection

ENGINE:

• Make file save system more robust
• Gracefully handle corrupted save game files
• Optimise engine to improve performance on older AMD CPUs

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Is this one automatic for non-steam users or do we need to do the whole manual download+apply again?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
In regards to the plot/story of the game, I hope for the next game they just copy the plot of season 3 of Nikita and just have Sam and friends hunting former 3E spies and maybe escalate to a Meggido big bad, which was one of their jobs in the first place before :911: Guam :911:.

Maybe then the plot wouldn't be hokey as gently caress and actually somewhat sedate while still being Tom Clancy-esque and Sam Fisher didn't have to be all "FINISH THE MISSION NOTHING COMES FIRST", especially if most of the missions are like vignettes/one-shot things with a smaller overarching through line. I think that's what people somewhat miss about it, it's that Splinter Cell missions were so clandestine it was almost as if nothing really happened, except in this game you keep getting thrust into "big event" because plot demands it, even if 99% of the time the level design holds up.

I guess if we have to sacrifice the plot for a good game so be it, at least with the Tom Clancy stuff.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Cyra posted:

Is this one automatic for non-steam users or do we need to do the whole manual download+apply again?

It looks like the Autopatch feature is working for me.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I have no problem with Splinter Cell wanting to go for great big honking setpieces. Future Soldier did that incredibly well with stuff like the Metal Gear riff and that crazy sandstorm level.

But drat, make sure to actually give me impressive setpieces. I would've laughed at the weak train section a few years ago - these days it was just anemic.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Narcissus1916 posted:

I have no problem with Splinter Cell wanting to go for great big honking setpieces. Future Soldier did that incredibly well with stuff like the Metal Gear riff and that crazy sandstorm level.

But drat, make sure to actually give me impressive setpieces. I would've laughed at the weak train section a few years ago - these days it was just anemic.

Pretty sure they've pushed Unreal 2.5 to it's limit these days. It'd be nice if they would start work (if they haven't already) on updating the series with a much newer and better engine. Sadly, I do know what kind of massive undertaking that is so I can foresee at least one more game using the current engine to buy them more development time and money.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Naky posted:

Pretty sure they've pushed Unreal 2.5 to it's limit these days. It'd be nice if they would start work (if they haven't already) on updating the series with a much newer and better engine. Sadly, I do know what kind of massive undertaking that is so I can foresee at least one more game using the current engine to buy them more development time and money.

I would imagine next gen means new engine. It would be a waste to upgrade things for this gen when you have to do it again immediately afterwards for PS4/XBone.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

My solo run-through of maps continues. There's really a huge amount of situational stuff that I'm discovering in each level.

One thing I'm noticing is how powerful double-EMPs are in Classic. For example, in Uranium Mine Hack Point C, it's possible to completely black out 50 percent of the room with one EMP and a bit of prep work in destroying the breakable lights. Assuming you can hit a Merc with the other EMP, they are completely dead as they will be stuck in a huge 20x20 pitch black area with no flashlight or motion tracker for 5 seconds.

I'm chomping at the bit to get some friendly 2v2s going on XBL and trying to get these tactics working, so if you see me online and I'm not in Netflix or Lego Batman (a sure sign I'm hangin' with my gal) please send me a message.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I made a full-on Assault kit and played through a couple of the Charlie missions completely guns-blazing, and I'm really, really surprised how fun and fluid the combat mechanics are. It's just fun to slap down a bunch of landmines, lob incendiary grenades at people, and do constant lethal melee takedowns. I was really expecting the "go loud" mechanics to be really tacked on for such a stealth-centric game, and they're totally not.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Is it just me, or is the new melee "balance" in 1.02 utterly broken in favor of players with significantly high pings? It seems like no matter the engagement distance, the [RUS] players will warp into place to snap my neck every time. I didn't see any warping at all in 1.01. Still, there's no way of pinpointing the issue.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Ugggggggghhhhh, I've been having fun playing this on Xbox since release day. Went to play a bit last night after the Broncos game, and I get asked to pick a difficulty and insert Disc 1.

Whole save file, gone. Online progress, back to level 1, and all of my gear/collectibles back to nothing. You've got to be kidding me, only game this has ever happened to me with. :argh:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Someone is stalking and killing the Xbox Live Cool Crew. It's the only explanation for how quickly the game died. Went from 5 - 8 people online playing to NOBODY.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I was on Wednesday night when you were coming online, but I had to go to sleep. drat your west coast-ness.

It also sucks because I'd really like to do the Briggs missions (I've only finished the first one) and I don't want to have to resort to teaming up with a pubbie.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Dogen posted:

It also sucks because I'd really like to do the Briggs missions (I've only finished the first one) and I don't want to have to resort to teaming up with a pubbie.

PM me when you're going to get online and I'd do this with ya.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Someone is stalking and killing the Xbox Live Cool Crew. It's the only explanation for how quickly the game died. Went from 5 - 8 people online playing to NOBODY.

I'll try and be more present this weekend.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just got the pc version of Double Agent and its not bad at all. The music I think is the best in the series. The only downside so far is this drat tanker mission in the snow.

I really like that the bad guys are American this time around.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Classes started, so there's that.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Well I played this and thought it was a return to poo poo Splinter Cell. It had a few things that really put me off the old ones (forced stealth where if you're seen or a body discovered then it's RESTART TIME! instead of letting things play out).
But then again, I'm one of the few people who thought Conviction was a fantastic game.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

blackguy32 posted:

Just got the pc version of Double Agent and its not bad at all. The music I think is the best in the series. The only downside so far is this drat tanker mission in the snow.

I really like that the bad guys are American this time around.

The bad guys in Chaos Theory were Americans too.

Edit: And Conviction, too. Man, there were a few games there where the SC story takes a poo poo on PMCs.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

I'm on again this weekend. Labor day weekend was out of town for a lot of the time.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
So I'm guessing nobody else has this problem, but I figure I'd ask here since Ubisoft's support is completely worthless:

I got Splinter Cell: Blacklist with my new graphics card. It requires me to use uPlay to download. I've tried installing it using my SSD as the installer cache, using my HDD as the installer cache, and even downloading on my laptop. On all of these, I get a bunch of CRC errors on the downloaded files and can't install. Has anyone else had this issue? It seems Ubisoft's servers are rather crappy. Doing a Google for "Splinter Cell Blacklist CRC failure" it seems like there were a lot of reports of this on the Ubi forum, but all of them seem to be removed. Ubi's support gives me the usual: clear temporary files, disable background programs, install in safe mode. I humored them and got the same result. Awesome! There's no way that four different drives (2 in desktop, 2 in laptop) all are corrupted and only showing it in this one program.

Anyone have any idea how I can get this game installed?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ice Fist posted:

The bad guys in Chaos Theory were Americans too.

Edit: And Conviction, too. Man, there were a few games there where the SC story takes a poo poo on PMCs.

Yeah but Chaos Theory is buried under a bunch of poo poo with North Korea and Japan.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Man, I didn't know Splinter Cell Blacklist was a horror game!

"I got this itch and I just can't seem to reach it!"

I know you're old and experienced Sam but you don't have to show off with your "Watch me aim behind my back!"

Fear the Fisher!

For whatever reason, this is now the pose I get when I use my crossbow.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

For extra military hilarity, check out HAWX. Their "PMCs are the scourge of humanity" is layered on amazingly thick.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah but Chaos Theory is buried under a bunch of poo poo with North Korea and Japan.

Eh. I forgot about the Japanese bad guys. The North Koreans are proven to be pretty much innocent or at least tricked into a war. But the main bad guy manipulating everything is the head of an American PMC.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
PMCs are the easiest and most politically correct way to cast a modern day villain these days. PMCs and North Korea.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Anyone up for some co-op tonight? GT is Grem Legend on the xbox.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

shymog posted:

So I'm guessing nobody else has this problem, but I figure I'd ask here since Ubisoft's support is completely worthless:

I got Splinter Cell: Blacklist with my new graphics card. It requires me to use uPlay to download. I've tried installing it using my SSD as the installer cache, using my HDD as the installer cache, and even downloading on my laptop. On all of these, I get a bunch of CRC errors on the downloaded files and can't install. Has anyone else had this issue? It seems Ubisoft's servers are rather crappy. Doing a Google for "Splinter Cell Blacklist CRC failure" it seems like there were a lot of reports of this on the Ubi forum, but all of them seem to be removed. Ubi's support gives me the usual: clear temporary files, disable background programs, install in safe mode. I humored them and got the same result. Awesome! There's no way that four different drives (2 in desktop, 2 in laptop) all are corrupted and only showing it in this one program.

Anyone have any idea how I can get this game installed?

I read a few of those CRC threads before they were removed, but there weren't any solutions, except for failures to patch 1.01/1.02 with uplay's autoupdater. (The workaround was simply to install those patches manually.) If you can't get as far as the 20gb client, I don't know. Uplay has yet to earn itself any respect, considering the steam version of Ubisoft's game installs and updates flawlessly.

Obsurveyor posted:

Man, I didn't know Splinter Cell Blacklist was a horror game!

Sam is practicing the monster mash for some halloween ops :spooky:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I wish I was around more on Xbox Live, but I'm moving into my new house tomorrow so things are a but crazy right now. I'd love to co-op the Charlie and Briggs missions, though.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Final part of the last Briggs mission on Perfectionist is some motherfucking bulllllllshit as I'm sure Dogen will attest to. Doubly so if you don't load out a decent assault rifle. It's also broken as gently caress.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Obsurveyor posted:

Final part of the last Briggs mission on Perfectionist is some motherfucking bulllllllshit as I'm sure Dogen will attest to. Doubly so if you don't load out a decent assault rifle. It's also broken as gently caress.

Sometimes you get your actual decent gun! Sometimes you get an unmodded goblin! But what you can always count on is 12 guys shooting at Briggs and not Sam!

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:

Why did I have to knock that one guy out :negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

On that note: gently caress Site F and its stupidly placed save points forever.

That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I thought it was really nice of them to respawn the three guys on the roof after I picked them off with the tri-rotor on the approach and then had to go back to the checkpoint after crossing the fence. Now I'm out of rotor darts and they're all wearing helmets.

• Locked thread