Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
And now I'm doing the same, cheers linedance :(

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/motorbikes/suzuki/gsx-r600/suzuki-gsxr-600-srad/1642657

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

why oh why did I decide this morning to see what kind of bikes can be had for under £1000? I haven't got £1k to drop on a bike, even if I knew I'd get it all back in the spring.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/motorbikes/honda/cbr400/honda-400rr-triarm-babyblade/1626913

It is a beautiful bike, but I get the feeling your attraction to it is more a pathological dislike of easy parts availability. It's a common affliction among (former) Aprilia owners, which is why I'm really pleased that my local garage has finally sold this thing:

(RVF400)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Linedance posted:

why oh why did I decide this morning to see what kind of bikes can be had for under £1000? I haven't got £1k to drop on a bike, even if I knew I'd get it all back in the spring.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/motorbikes/honda/cbr400/honda-400rr-triarm-babyblade/1626913

Don't worry I've started stalking CL for cheap Ninja 250's to buy/fix/store then sell off in the spring. Only problem is the shed I planned on storing them in is full of car parts and two other bikes I need to fix and sell.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Turns out there's a whole bunch of cheap postie bikes for sale nearby this time of year. I only started riding the DRZ, I really don't need a second bike...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

EvilSlug posted:

Description as follows.
2003 SV650 with 24,000 miles. Ready to ride. Clear title, no liens. Brake lines front and rear are Galfer stainless steel. Street legal HID headlight. I've replaced the sprockets, chain, and clutch cable. Tire in back is two years old and tire in front was new last year. Comes with the factory service manual I bought from the dealer. You can text [number] or email me at the craigslist email with any questions. No texts or calls after 9:00 pm, thanks. I personally think that head-on shot makes your bike look like rear end.

That simple. All of that reads positive. Everything outside of what I listed there is potentially polarizing stuff that 90% of people who might buy your bike would never notice or care about. Be honest; but remember that the time to talk details is usually once you're on the phone or have them looking at it.

My god that's brilliant. Be right back.

Edit: Alright I did it. Also took your advice about the head on pic and removed it.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 3, 2013

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Back from my road trip. Left the bike in Regina with my buddy, but ~5k miles added.

The number 3 Crows Nest highway west of Lethbridge is just amazing. If you go a little faster than traffic you can basically have the road to yourself for long lengths of time, and the twisties are fantastic. AAAA+ would ride again.

Now next season since I no longer have a bike, I'll either have to get myself something else or leave this winter wonderland.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Quick question for you guys: Where I live is a bit on the hilly side and of all the incline intersections, I am least confident when I'm on an incline and have to make a 90 deg. right turn that is also uphill. Solo, I can manage it decently well, but with a passenger, getting the revs and balance right is always scary.

Other than practice and, of course, using the rear brake to hold myself in position, are there any other tricks or techniques for this sort of thing?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'll rock the throttle back a little with my palm as I keep pressure on the front brake until I load up the drivetrain enough; I don't really like one-footing with a passenger so I don't often use the rear brake technique. Also, coming to a stop strategically angled toward the turn helps straighten out the whole ordeal.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have very limited 2up experience, but I noticed that it was easier for me to lean than to turn. Meaning, instead of trying to manage a slow speed turn, I'd try to get my speed up going relatively straight, and then tip in and lean into the turn for the last bit. This won't work in tighter turns obviously, but if you have a bit of space, I find it easier. I even do this myself a lot of my fz6 because it feels kinda wobbly in slow speed turns. When I ride the Ninjette I don't even worry about it and just turn because it's so light and low.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Let the clutch out to the point where the bike wants to roll forward. This will hold the bike on any hill and bike clutches can handle being slipped just fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get good at giving it throttle with the front brake on, slip the clutch until its pulling against the brake, then start to release the brake. Try to make it more about clutch and brake by feeding in one amount of throttle that you just hold. Trying to rev it while slipping the clutch and releasing the brake can be too much to coordinate for some and usually results in a stall or wheelie.

The other option is to hold the bike with the rear brake, get the bike pulling against it with the clutch and throttle and release the rear.

Either is fine, just depends on what you're more comfortable with. I tend to go with the second option since it has each limb performing only one action, but sometimes you need to have both feet on the ground with a passenger, so the second option isnt possible.

Practice practice practice, its the only way to get good.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Thanks for the replies.

n8r posted:

Let the clutch out to the point where the bike wants to roll forward. This will hold the bike on any hill and bike clutches can handle being slipped just fine.

Even dry clutches?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Get good at giving it throttle with the front brake on, slip the clutch until its pulling against the brake, then start to release the brake. Try to make it more about clutch and brake by feeding in one amount of throttle that you just hold. Trying to rev it while slipping the clutch and releasing the brake can be too much to coordinate for some and usually results in a stall or wheelie.

The other option is to hold the bike with the rear brake, get the bike pulling against it with the clutch and throttle and release the rear.

Either is fine, just depends on what you're more comfortable with. I tend to go with the second option since it has each limb performing only one action, but sometimes you need to have both feet on the ground with a passenger, so the second option isnt possible.

Practice practice practice, its the only way to get good.

I often use the the palm the throttle, two feet down front brake routine, but above a certain grade, it hasn't worked well for me.

Part of my issues with 2 up is that my '04 R1150R is a bit top heavy, so slow speed maneuvers with my wife on the pillion, radically alters the slow-speed handling characteristics.

Straight inclines, incline plus left turn incline, any declines are all fine for me, but for some reason, 2up and incline with a 90 deg. right turn and more incline just shakes my confidence to no end.

And like clutchpuck said, I have to get better at angling the turn. Especially on some of the side streets around here where the hills can be steep, but the traffic light.

I guess practice practice practice is really good advice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MoraleHazard posted:

Thanks for the replies.

Even dry clutches?

No, not dry clutches. And it's dumb to do that anyway, it's way less wear on everything to just use the rear brake to hold yourself on a hill. You will wear the brake pads down approximately zero holding the bike on a hill with them, whereas you will wear the clutch, you'll be loading the engine at low RPM holding it on a hill unless you're feeding it revs as well, and...it's just generally a stupid idea to use the clutch to hold your bike on a hill. Left foot down, right foot on rear brake.

quote:

I often use the the palm the throttle, two feet down front brake routine, but above a certain grade, it hasn't worked well for me.

Part of my issues with 2 up is that my '04 R1150R is a bit top heavy, so slow speed maneuvers with my wife on the pillion, radically alters the slow-speed handling characteristics.

Straight inclines, incline plus left turn incline, any declines are all fine for me, but for some reason, 2up and incline with a 90 deg. right turn and more incline just shakes my confidence to no end.

And like clutchpuck said, I have to get better at angling the turn. Especially on some of the side streets around here where the hills can be steep, but the traffic light.

I guess practice practice practice is really good advice.

Use more throttle, more clutch, and drag a little rear brake (your foot is already there, after all) to keep your speed manageable. The BMW boxers are pretty shakey at sub 2k RPM so you can add more throttle, slip more clutch, and drag some rear brake to help get through that. I use this technique at a stop sign near to my house where it's a sharp right hander up hill - the higher revs means the bike accelerates more comfortably with less lugging, the clutch slip is to keep things in line, and the rear brake keeps speed manageable. Also, committing to the corner really helps.

Don't practice slipping the clutch too much for extended periods, you don't want to have to do a clutch job on a BMW R engine.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Whoa http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/jason-pridmores-star-school-trailer-stolen-in-buena-park-california/

Somebody made off with a big haul for sure. I guess the thief can take the rest of the year off.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Haven't been able to ride my bike (health issues) since July 25th or so. Other than seeing it every morning and wishing I was gearing up driving into work has actually been nice. I don't have to be as worried about some rear end in a top hat pulling out in-front of me, the temp is perfect and I don't have to gear up/down.

That being said I miss my bikes. Tried riding the trials bike around but after a couple kicks getting it started I was done :(

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Sorry to hear about your health issues NitroSpazz. A relatively short term thing, I hope?

Also, Z3n, thanks for the clarification and pointers. Commuting to work today, I realize I often come off the back brake instantly when on an incline. I'm going to have to work to correct this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Backov posted:

Back from my road trip. Left the bike in Regina with my buddy, but ~5k miles added.

The number 3 Crows Nest highway west of Lethbridge is just amazing. If you go a little faster than traffic you can basically have the road to yourself for long lengths of time, and the twisties are fantastic. AAAA+ would ride again.

Now next season since I no longer have a bike, I'll either have to get myself something else or leave this winter wonderland.

It really is a nice ride but traffic can be killer. Sometimes it seems bumper to bumper. Glad it worked out for you and you liked it :)

Did you go back East on the #3 as well or try the #1?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I caught myself the other day making a three stooges Curly woop-woop-woop-woop noise while shooting a traffic gap cars couldn't fit through, and I realize I've been doing this for ages

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Now I need a horn that does it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I need a horn that goes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R97Ao5e3m5E

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We must adapt this technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n17B_uFF4cA

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

I caught myself the other day making a three stooges Curly woop-woop-woop-woop noise while shooting a traffic gap cars couldn't fit through, and I realize I've been doing this for ages

Best part of motorcycles to me has always been cheerfully showing squares their place.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The real issue with the adoption of electric motorcycles is that pedestrians will finally be able to hear what motorcyclists are saying/singing/yelling inside their helmets.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Good gravy the Buell is powerful! I rode to the airport this morning, and it was tooling along at 80 like it weren't no thing. The Husky felt comfortable (if wobbly) at 60, gasping at 70, and I really had to flog it to hit 80. The Buell is a completely different animal.

I guess that's what more-than-doubling my displacement gets me. The Buell might be burly, but it has legs!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

Good gravy the Buell is powerful! I rode to the airport this morning, and it was tooling along at 80 like it weren't no thing. The Husky felt comfortable (if wobbly) at 60, gasping at 70, and I really had to flog it to hit 80. The Buell is a completely different animal.

I guess that's what more-than-doubling my displacement gets me. The Buell might be burly, but it has legs!

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro!" :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looks like a moose, handles like a squirrel.

Power isn't necessarily its strong suit; wait till you get it on come curvy roads :getin:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Let's talk about literbikes. Specifically, the one I just got. A 2006 ZX-10R which Z3n was nice enough to streetfighter for me.

First, let's go over my previous motorcycles:

* 1982 Honda CM-250C, 17hp
* 1983 Yamaha Maxim 750, 65hp
* 1994 Honda CBR 600 F2, 80hp
* 2006 KTM 625 SMC, 60hp
* 2000 Suzuki SV650N, 65hp
* 1995 MZ Skorpion Sport, 45hp

And now, my new bike, a 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10r, weighs in at 165hp.

One of these things is not like the others; one of these things just doesn't belong.

You know, it's funny, before getting the ZX-10, I told myself I wasn't a power guy. I liked cornering, you know? I liked technical stuff. I always have found the highway and straights boring. Still do. What I didn't realize I liked, though, was wheelieing out of corners, or getting wheelspin at will, accelerating up to highway speed in the time it takes to sneeze, or having a transmission be completely optional because it goes like 100mph in first gear anyway.

So yeah, I guess you could say that I've seen the light. Having a bike that makes ludicrous power is just basically giving yourself more options - you can still have fun doing all the other stuff you did, but now you can also do OTHER THINGS! All it takes is a few degrees of rotation with your right wrist - barely perceptible.

There were a lot of firsts with this bike - first modern supersport, first slipper clutch, first big tires (190 rear), first bike with obscene power, etc. I'm completely sold on it for a streetbike. Ironically, I feel like it will do the most damage to me when I take it on the track because I'm sure this thing will just eat rubber like nobody's business. Still, it'll be fun to have a bike that I can park in the corners and rocket in the straights and be that guy.

Some parting thoughts:

Purchase literbike
'Douche' lever gets switched in brain
You are now squid-man

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro!" :v:

I loving love that line so much. :allears:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I am renting an Aprilia Mana 850GT. Its a pretty sweet machine so far.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

Is it a new one? Have they changed to a dual-clutch auto like Honda uses?
I took an old one out for a test ride once. I hated the transmission. It felt like a rubber band was connecting the throttle to the engine, and there was no clutch to slip for low speed maneuvers. I'm told it works like a scooter, and if I'd never owned a scooter, I wouldn't like it. Yup.
Also, my lid wouldn't fit in the helmet storage.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Coredump posted:

How do you like the transmission setup? When I was looking at bikes this summer, the Mana would have been a top contender if it had a clutch lever. Most reviews say you get used to it and it feels
natural pretty quickly, but I just can't imagine giving up the fine control you get with clutch feathering. What do you think?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've got to get the bike back to Rider's Hill in north GA today by 2:30 so I'm going to ride some more. I'll do a short write up once I get back. Especially since my SV will be my ride back. As far as the lack of clutch for low speed maneuvers? Not needed, this thing will crawl as slow as you want without having to worry about a clutch to feather. Transmission is still a CVT but its been pretty awesome so far.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm up to episode 3 of Long Way Round and goddamn these guys have a lot of poo poo. They've got a bunch of hard bags on their brand-new BMWs and then multiple SUVs following them, loaded with spare parts and tires and extra gear and food and whatnot.

Of course I expect them to be going through some pretty wild poo poo, but I can't help but think how the Adventure Prone guys rode all around the country mostly by themselves, and when they broke a front brake cable, then ran out of gas, in the middle of Montana at 3 a.m., there wasn't a crew to pick them up. On the other hand, the guys in Long Way Round are wearing proper gear instead of sneakers and t-shirts.

Edit: I'm really disappointed that they did a bit about the disgusting toilet in the truck stop at the Ukrainian border without Mcgregor saying something about the worst toilet in scotland. I'll let it pass based on lack of sleep.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 7, 2013

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Whatever you do, don't watch Long Way Down.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
And to be fair the long way round guys go through some really tough terrain while the adventure prone guys did not. All in all I enjoyed both the same.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Once they got out of Europe it got a hell of a lot more fun. I loving love that little Russian bike Claudio (the cameraman) got after his original one lost its ABS. I looked it up, it's an IZh Planeta 5, and it's loving awesome. 346cc 2-stroke making 21 hp, drum brakes front and rear. And then he talks about how the BMWs are so heavy they get bogged down in every bit of mud but he just scoots over.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

kenny powerzzz posted:

And to be fair the long way round guys go through some really tough terrain while the adventure prone guys did not. All in all I enjoyed both the same.
They ran into a lot of problems because they massively overloaded those bikes. For no good reason, too. If you got a goddamn support crew in trucks, do you really need a full snap-on set and 3 weeks of freeze-dried food on your bike?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They ran into a lot of problems because they massively overloaded those bikes. For no good reason, too. If you got a goddamn support crew in trucks, do you really need a full snap-on set and 3 weeks of freeze-dried food on your bike?

Especially when, as they showed in Mongolia, they don't really know what to do with those tools beyond "Oh gently caress the rear brake lever is bent, grab the pliers and bend it back".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

There were a lot of firsts with this bike - first modern supersport, first slipper clutch, first big tires (190 rear), first bike with obscene power, etc. I'm completely sold on it for a streetbike. Ironically, I feel like it will do the most damage to me when I take it on the track because I'm sure this thing will just eat rubber like nobody's business. Still, it'll be fun to have a bike that I can park in the corners and rocket in the straights and be that guy.

Yeah you'll be rad at the open trackday.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm up to episode 3 of Long Way Round and goddamn these guys have a lot of poo poo. They've got a bunch of hard bags on their brand-new BMWs and then multiple SUVs following them, loaded with spare parts and tires and extra gear and food and whatnot.

Of course I expect them to be going through some pretty wild poo poo, but I can't help but think how the Adventure Prone guys rode all around the country mostly by themselves, and when they broke a front brake cable, then ran out of gas, in the middle of Montana at 3 a.m., there wasn't a crew to pick them up. On the other hand, the guys in Long Way Round are wearing proper gear instead of sneakers and t-shirts.

Edit: I'm really disappointed that they did a bit about the disgusting toilet in the truck stop at the Ukrainian border without Mcgregor saying something about the worst toilet in scotland. I'll let it pass based on lack of sleep.

I have a shitload more respect for anyone who goes without a loving full support truck even if they do have sneakers and tshirts. Long Way Around was good but only as long as you're willing to accept that they're complete pussies about just about everything.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

Hey as I was typing up my little review of the bike I had an idea. Should we have a thread dedicated to quick reviews of things?