Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
What do I do when the enemy is too close to my rogue for bow? Can I switch to dagger/sword or is it done automatically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Automatically.

Phryyd
Mar 21, 2013
There's also a talent low in the marksman tree that takes away the too close penalty. It's worth having for those raid fights where everyone has to stack up in melee range.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

The side-grade paths looks pretty neat!

Phryyd
Mar 21, 2013
I've heard some people ask about Crafting rifts in guild char and I'd be willing to try organizing them if there is enough interest. From what I've seen we need a min of 6-10 ppl hopefully with good ae damage. The drops are trade skill related so I'd guess you can get augments as well as the parts to make augments. Post with a day of the week that would be convenient and we'll see if there is enough interest to go further.
Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon evenings are all good for me.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

necrotic posted:

The side-grade paths looks pretty neat!

yeah i'm really happy with that change considering how atrocious itemization was in t1.

also daglar confirmed that the prices for some of the new gear are placeholders. hopefully we won't actually have to farm 200k infinity stones for one synergy crystal.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Why didn't anyone tell me they're making a dungeon where you go into Atrophinus' subconscious and fight off his nightmares

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me they're making a dungeon where you go into Atrophinus' subconscious and fight off his nightmares

There's a what now?

Also you're missing Strongholds and a quest line where a corgi and a dragon become friends.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

You can also kick around shamblers and have this really annoying event where you have to light campfires that I hope they fixed the spawn points of freezing dudes for.

The trash is also super evil.

Also I hope they fix the spelling for Fae Lord Twyll [sic]

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

StumblyWumbly posted:

Also you're missing Strongholds and a quest line where a corgi and a dragon become friends.

Ffffuuuuuucccckk. Wait what are Strongholds?

Kirtan
May 17, 2011
The new armor models are pretty bad. Every class looks the same.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Kirtan posted:

The new armor models are pretty bad. Every class looks the same.

Yeah but the ninja outfit they just teased on the livestream looks sweeeet.

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Oh my glob. What the stuff are you doing?
http://www.riftgame.com/en/defiance/
That stuff is badass. Apparently only for physical copies. Walmart around here has it for the cheapest, probably gonna do that tomorrow.

"This promo is only for boxed copies and during the time frame of the promo, not previous sales.
~Daglar"

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

lsp posted:

Apparently only for physical copies. Walmart around here has it for the cheapest, probably gonna do that tomorrow.

Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart all want $10 for a boxed PC edition :)

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

lsp posted:

http://www.riftgame.com/en/defiance/
That stuff is badass. Apparently only for physical copies. Walmart around here has it for the cheapest, probably gonna do that tomorrow.

"This promo is only for boxed copies and during the time frame of the promo, not previous sales.
~Daglar"

Oh lord that mount.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Machai posted:

^^^ In my experience you have to try and get them all in order to get any because the drat warriors will somehow get them all even when you get there first (client lag! :argh:)

If you are buying anything in the store and also plan on getting patron, buy patron first as it gives you a 10% discount on all items in the store. This includes future patron passes so as long as you don't wait until after your patron has lapsed to buy another pass you can save money. Patron is great for leveling as you get a 2hr +80% exp vial every day and can save up to 7 at a time.

"Mandatory" items to purchase:
Storm Legion Souls
Brevanic Portal Generator
Lvl 60 mount (saves time from having to grind rep. can be purchased with plat as well)

Don't buy:
Leveling gear packs. Afaik they are kinda poo poo and they will be replaced fairly quickly especially before level 50.

Ok so those are 4800 credits if I can do math. Which means that the minimum amount spent to get that would be $35? Do I have that right? It's $25 minimum just for the souls, which seems very mildly lovely because wasn't the expansion selling for $20 before F2P? And Patron does not get you ANY credits? I can't find the "More Bag Slots" level of loyalty, but the unlock for the account functionality seems low so that's good.

If I buy a Sweet Horse, that's ONLY for that character, right? Only stuff that's account wide counts for the whole account? Sorry, sorry to keep asking this. This store is making my loving head spin.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If you can find somewhere that still has copies, buying Storm Legion may actually be more wise, because that should unlock the account-wide bag slots, SL souls, and character slots.

Otherwise, buying bag slots is character-specific as are mounts, and yes, Patron status comes with no credit stipend (which is stupid beyond reckoning).

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Things you get from loyalty rewards are account-wide, but not the cash shop mounts.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Vandee and I were able to infinitely claim the 1 mil planar attunement and summerfest gift box. I logged out to check and see if it would go away and the servers are currently down for me.

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

It was happening to everyone a few minutes ago. PA is unclickable now, but the boxes keep going.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
edit: this post was bad information, sorry, disregard it if you read it

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 7, 2013

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

mr. nobody posted:

20 bucks is 3250 credits, double that for 6500 credits and that's easily enough to get you setup with the expansion souls, a level 60 mount on one character, an extra bag slot or two (unless you can buy the first couple for plat), the portal generator and leave you with some to play with.

Just 20 bucks is enough for the expansion souls and around 8-900 leftover.

edit: I was logging in to check and posted but maybe I'm wrong, are the souls ~2400 credits? or 3400?

I was just doing the mental math to see the minimum possible amount to get that stuff, which is $35. If I spent that yes I'd spend the $40 because it's better for me and them.

The expansion souls are 3500.

e: heh, bad random time to check the thread.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Badfinger posted:

I was just doing the mental math to see the minimum possible amount to get that stuff, which is $35. If I spent that yes I'd spend the $40 because it's better for me and them.

The expansion souls are 3500.

e: heh, bad random time to check the thread.

Ok, then I recommend buying a 1 day patron pass (to save 10% at the store!) then buying expansion souls and whatever else you want. 10% off the expansion souls is almost what you spend on the 1 day patron pass.

If you're still levelling, and aren't a mage, you can hold off deciding on the expansion souls because you won't need them (while levelling), but as a mage the harbinger soul is a good solo option.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Magus42 posted:

Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart all want $10 for a boxed PC edition :)

I see $10 for digital, $36 for boxed on Amazon. $10 on BestBuy but I can't tell if it is boxed although I don't think they do digital anyway. Walmart is $10 boxed ("item weight 1lbs"). All in all a pretty decent deal even if I will never really play Defiance.

e: math time

3-day patron pass = 480 credits (buy this first!)
SL Souls = 3150 w/ 10% discount
lvl60 mount = 630 credits w/ 10% discount (or 1000 plat if you have enough and want to save $$$)
Portal Generator = 540 w/ discount
--------------
4800 credits total
buy 2x $20 credit option for 6500 total credits and you have 1700 left over for other things

As for SL cost, it was originally like $40. There were options to upgrade to the CE for $10 more which got you a mount, the portal generator and a mini Regulos pet. For that same price you are now getting the SL souls, the portal generator, a 150% mount instead of a scaling mount, 3 days of patron status (extra XP/currencies and some useful NPC summons) and 1700 credits.

When SL was released the original game was price dropped to I believe $15-20, you may be thinking of that.

Machai fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 7, 2013

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

Machai posted:

I see $10 for digital, $36 for boxed on Amazon. $10 on BestBuy but I can't tell if it is boxed although I don't think they do digital anyway. Walmart is $10 boxed ("item weight 1lbs"). All in all a pretty decent deal even if I will never really play Defiance.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Click on PC. Looks like it's a boxed copy for 10 dollars.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

vandiar posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Click on PC. Looks like it's a boxed copy for 10 dollars.

"Defiance [Online Game Code]"

e: clicking on regular PC shows me the $35.99 price

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

Machai posted:

"Defiance [Online Game Code]"

See where it says PC DOWNLOAD option? Just to the left of it is PC. Click on that.

HERE I MADE AN IMAGE FOR YOU

Edit: Oh welp it's 10 dollars for me, sucks to be you I guess!

vandiar fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 7, 2013

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

vandiar posted:

See where it says PC DOWNLOAD option? Just to the left of it is PC. Click on that.

HERE I MADE AN IMAGE FOR YOU

Edit: Oh welp it's 10 dollars for me, sucks to be you I guess!
$10 for me, too. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00576U7JG/

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

shut up gelly posted:

cool so we're behind every other class again

gently caress this game

Stanley Pain posted:

Warriors are the new rogues, in so much as crying about "being the worst class".

I hate saying this but if you want to play melee (in pvp) you're better off playing sin right now, and especially after the patch. With decent I can pull ~700k-1M damage in a WF no problem while out of stealth a large majority of the game and have no issues out damaging everyone but warlord warriors w/"broken" crystals, in terms of dps and sustained, in every game while queuing solo. Geared sins are really, really good right now.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

shard first on a ring 2 months after getting salvarola on farm :allears:

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
So, I don't know much about this game since I started playing, but I read the OP and did some looking and to get the best bard build I need to buy the storm legion souls from the shop, but what I"m wondering is will I be getting access to more content if I buy the souls, or do I just get the 4 souls?

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Just the souls. Their store model involves no content locking behind a paywall.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Notinghamington posted:

So, I don't know much about this game since I started playing, but I read the OP and did some looking and to get the best bard build I need to buy the storm legion souls from the shop, but what I"m wondering is will I be getting access to more content if I buy the souls, or do I just get the 4 souls?

I think the OP is out of date, tactbard has been dead for quite a while now. Just use 61 bard.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Doing my digging on what spending money gets you, you also earn Loyalty points by buying credits and spending them. So by using money you also causally unlock stuff like ability to use the AH, etc. I don't know what the conversion rate is though. Outside of that, you're buying exactly what you're putting in the cart.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Badfinger posted:

So by using money you also causally unlock stuff like ability to use the AH, etc. I don't know what the conversion rate is though.

2 loyalty per credit bought, and an additional 2 loyalty when you spend a credit. The exception is patron passes. A 30-day pass nets you 7k loyalty total and the others should be proportional (700 for a 3-day pass). As a patron you also have a chance at extra loyalty in your daily/weekly box.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Machai posted:

2 loyalty per credit bought, and an additional 2 loyalty when you spend a credit. The exception is patron passes. A 30-day pass nets you 7k loyalty total and the others should be proportional (700 for a 3-day pass). As a patron you also have a chance at extra loyalty in your daily/weekly box.
You still get Loyalty for spending the Credits you'd need to buy the patron pass. That's literally what the blog post was talking about, and why it's being changed.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Another PVP Rank + bullshit token grind. Thanks Trion, definitely not playing this game anymore.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I mean, if you enjoy pvp then it's not really a grind. If you don't enjoy it, then why would you be doing it anyways? Enjoy FFXIV, the game free of grinds!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

I mean, if you enjoy pvp then it's not really a grind. If you don't enjoy it, then why would you be doing it anyways? Enjoy FFXIV, the game free of grinds!

FFXIV is pretty grindy dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

FFXIV is def. less grindy than Rift.

• Locked thread