Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
not even 30 minutes done and it's a laugher

Hope Solo assist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
Leroux :swoon:

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

CubanMissile posted:

Oh my Mexico's goalkeeper is awful.

She's also Leroux and HAO's teammate in Boston, so they know all the weak spots.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Hoover Dam posted:

She's also Leroux and HAO's teammate in Boston, so they know all the weak spots.

There are plenty of them to pick. Holy poo poo. She's made some epic dives for balls that are in no danger of going anywhere though.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Hoover Dam posted:

Ah, interesting.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Please score off this FK :allears:

E: AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA YES! Holy gently caress how is Mexico THIS bad?

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Hoover Dam posted:

She's gonna hate Sydney.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Man, this is just getting stupid. Not that I have a problem with it or anything.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I hope this goes to Diez a Cero.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Akbar posted:

She's gonna hate Sydney.

She'll find a lot of support in Canada. Now our neighbors to north and south and be unified.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

JP Money posted:

Holy gently caress how is Mexico THIS bad?

By being mostly youngsters with not a hell of a lot of support back home. Same as a lot of women's teams that you think would be good like their men's, buuuut... SPAIN I'M LOOKING AT YOU

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
That one goal was the most :negative: thing I have ever seen

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Also, both Shannon Boxx and Heather Mitts announced pregnancies today.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I wish I had been able to go to the game. :(

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004
Happy to see another Florida Gator playing for the USWNT. I thought she was great in college and was glad she did well in the NWSL, but I never really expected to see Tymrak make it to the senior side.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Are McBride and Hejduk available Tuesday?

Mike Toole
Apr 9, 2001

WE ARE GOING BACK!!

shoplifter posted:

Are McBride and Hejduk available Tuesday?

Hedjuk definitely is! Dude lives there.

If we're going there, I want Earnie Stewart as well

CHIVERS
Apr 28, 2004

c'est quand meme la honte
John O'Brien's probably all healed up too.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Drogadon and other thread Ticos: Please tell me you're now going to run with Tres a Uno the way we do Dos a Cero. It's only fair.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I know it's good for laughs but wouldn't it have been better if Mexico had won?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hoover Dam posted:

Drogadon and other thread Ticos: Please tell me you're now going to run with Tres a Uno the way we do Dos a Cero. It's only fair.
That would be pointless because they always beat the United States at home.

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

That would be pointless because they always beat the United States at home.

We clearly need to change our tactics and introduce cows with bullhorns in Ohio.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!

Niwrad posted:

I know it's good for laughs but wouldn't it have been better if Mexico had won?

Probably. Who cares.

INKRO
Feb 7, 2012
Dos a Cero: Best score or bestest score?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
USA up to 13 in the FIFA rankings. Kind of cool i guess

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

Crunkjuice posted:

USA up to 13 in the FIFA rankings. Kind of cool i guess

Slightly more important as we head into the World Cup draw

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What would it take at this point, short of a check to Blatter, to get seeded?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Robot Danger posted:

Slightly more important as we head into the World Cup draw

Not unless you make it into top 8 and I think these rankings are the ones that will be used for the draw.

jack3485
Aug 14, 2007

Crunkjuice posted:

USA up to 13 in the FIFA rankings.

I know these rankings are often pretty questionable. Honestly, where do you all think we legitimately rank in the world right now? If we were to match-up against each of the top 50 in this ranking by FIFA, how many teams would we actually be favored to defeat in a competitive, neutral site fixture? Curious as to what others think.

INKRO
Feb 7, 2012

Hegav posted:

Not unless you make it into top 8 and I think these rankings are the ones that will be used for the draw.

Theoretically. In reality the seeds are determined by who FIFA wants to get seeded.

It's not happening for us, so for the most part it's irrelevant to anyone outside of like CAF.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

jack3485 posted:

I know these rankings are often pretty questionable. Honestly, where do you all think we legitimately rank in the world right now? If we were to match-up against each of the top 50 in this ranking by FIFA, how many teams would we actually be favored to defeat in a competitive, neutral site fixture? Curious as to what others think.

I think anyone in the 10-25 range can beat each other on any given day, but you still have to earn the points to acquire your ranking. That's where your premise is kind of meaningless. To be top 15, you have to be consistently good over a long stretch of time and the US has been.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
We were somehow 4th a few months before the 2006 World Cup, which was kind of baffling

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Real Name Grover posted:

We were somehow 4th a few months before the 2006 World Cup, which was kind of baffling

EDIT: Whoops, thought that said 2010.

UZworm fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 13, 2013

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

Arena played off-date cupcake friendlies about once every two weeks. That'll inflate anyone's grades. Notice since Bradley came in, and Klinsmann after, the only off-date friendlies have been the traditional January MLS/Scandinavia camp and something around Memorial Day.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Hoover Dam posted:

Arena played off-date cupcake friendlies about once every two weeks. That'll inflate anyone's grades. Notice since Bradley came in, and Klinsmann after, the only off-date friendlies have been the traditional January MLS/Scandinavia camp and something around Memorial Day.

I'm sure they change the ruled whenever Sepp wants, but I thought unofficial games didn't count for ranking now?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Nope, friendliest count for about 1/3 of a competitive match. I think. The FIFA site isn't all that coherent in parts.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

Nope, friendliest count for about 1/3 of a competitive match. I think. The FIFA site isn't all that coherent in parts.

Even non-FIFA date friendlies?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
The "Importance" multipliers are 1x for friendlies, 2.5x for World Cup qualifiers, 3x for confederation tournament matches, and 4x for the World Cup. So in fact the Gold Cup matches counted for more than the qualifiers do. Interestingly enough, the Bosnia friendly also counted for slightly more than usual, because UEFA is a stronger confederation than CONCACAF is.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Lamont Cranston posted:

The "Importance" multipliers are 1x for friendlies, 2.5x for World Cup qualifiers, 3x for confederation tournament matches, and 4x for the World Cup. So in fact the Gold Cup matches counted for more than the qualifiers do. Interestingly enough, the Bosnia friendly also counted for slightly more than usual, because UEFA is a stronger confederation than CONCACAF is.

Wow, and I feel like we've been half assing the Gold Cup. Does the fact we have it twice as often also boost that? If the US went full tilt, I think they could get seeded, despite probably not being that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
The full calculation (as far as I understand it) is:

Result (3/1/0) * Importance * Strength of opponent (200 - their ranking, with a minimum of 50 I believe) * Confederation multiplier

Confederation multiplier is a measure of the confed's strength, so UEFA/CONMEBOL get a 1, CONCACAF has 0.88, etc. Bosnia counted more because when playing a different confederation the multipliers are averaged, so instead of the .88 we get for playing other CONCACAF nations, we got .94.

So Gold Cup matches for us are effectively .88 * 3 = 2.64, whilst say a European championship qualifier gets 1 * 2.5 = 2.5. Plus the strength of the sides we play in the Gold Cup are probably lower on average than a lot of the teams in UEFA.

I think it all evens out in the end.

• Locked thread