Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Old and poor grief (mostly griefing myself)
Old warcraft 3 custom map by the name of Twilight's eve ORPG, theres a few funny things you can do.
On the highest dungeons you may have to wait 30 minutes or more for everyone to get ready to tackle it, often times people go AFK, and messages from the system are not recorded in the chat logs. When you challenge someone to a PVP match it sends a message to them then it disappears, also, they cannot leave the area until they accept or deny it.
Cue people raging for 30 minutes wondering why they didn't join the dungeon with the group or can't leave the area. And the group involved has to exit the dungeon and trek all the way back to the area to form up again.

The real fun is being a Sage which has the map's trademarked spell "Twilight's Eve", when used freezes EVERYONE in the area of effect and forces everyone to watch an anime cutscene of the planet exploding. and it is a good two minutes log cut scene. Also, it doesn't stop hp regeneration or freeze spell cooldown. So when used against bosses it actually does VERY little damage because the boss is regenerating their hp the entire time. What's also fun is getting in a PVP match with another sage with everyone else around you, cue everyone there having to sit and watch the anime cut scene TWICE. It usually fills the screen with rage from other players but that was two computers ago so I don't have any screenshots anymore.

Edit: Another class in the game can revive people that have died and summon them by their side. When you die you have to wait 5 minutes or something before you resurrect. You get the healer class with the resurrection special, you go into a high level area and wait for a newbie's death timer to almost run out then resurrect them and watch them immedately die and have to wait their timer our again.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

McScumbag posted:

They soon removed the whole fake AI core exploding thing.

I really hope people keep posting SS13 stories, even if the tales are completely within the server's lovely rules and game goals, because oh my god they are so incredible and always basically griefs regardless of who gets mad for what reason. It's basiclaly "Space Griefs: The Game"

I still remember reading about the clown who would just run around knocking people over and then farting on them, before running away. Eventually he had a mob of angry people chasing him down, and I remember thinking "This is the highest form of entertainment mankind will ever create."

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
There was also a clown story where he unintentionally harassed one of the server's admins, who, instead of booting him for doing his clowny job well, used admin commands to implant him into a banana peel for more efficient antics, and what followed was him terrorizing the server into ending the round early because he was causing so much mayhem.

Angry Diplomat posted:

If a banana peel is left on the floor, anyone who steps on it will slip and fall down. There used to be a Clown job, which started with a banana and was mostly responsible for playing pranks, telling jokes, raising spirits, and getting brutally murdered by the psychotic crew. When my brother first started playing SS13, he chose Clown and spent the entire round slipping people with his banana peel, farting in their faces while they lay stunned, and then peeling out of there like a brightly coloured human rally car while furiously honking his bike horn. He did this so much and so competently that several people were actively trying to murder him, which of course led to more slipping, farting, and honking before he'd lie low in a locker somewhere until they gave up the search.

One particular victim seemed to have terrible luck, as he ran afoul of my brother over, and over, and over again through no apparent fault of his own. He must have spent a third of the round lying on the floor with fart in his face and a cheery HONK HONK HONK ringing in his ears. After pratfalling for the fourteenth or fifteenth time, he impotently screamed, "CLOOOOOOOOOOOOWN!" at his retreating assailant. This had no effect, aside from causing my brother to laugh so hard that it brought him to tears.

That victim was THE OVERWASP, one of the game's administrators. :stare:

Rather than get angry, THE OVERWASP saw the humour in my brother's clowny antics. He telepathically instructed him to stand next to his banana peel for a moment, then implanted the clown's consciousness into the peel itself, giving my brother the ability to move it around directly.

As it turns out, a player-controlled banana peel is nothing short of apocalyptic in the right hands. The station rapidly descended into anarchy as police chases became Keystone Kopps fiascoes, Janitors were left facedown in their own suds, and panicking assistants fled shrieking from the demonically-possessed banana peel before it sent them tumbling facefirst into vending machines. In a desperate bid to restore order, one of the heads of staff seized the unholy fruit rind in his hand and stuffed it in his pocket. Striding triumphantly to the airlock to space the offending item, he met his doom when it leaped out of his pocket and slipped him, causing him to careen into the open void and be lost forever.

The escape shuttle was called, and the crew fled in terror, abandoning the station to its new master: the Doom Peel.

From the first page of the SS13 thread

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone care if I just quotemine the SS13 thread? There's so much good poo poo.

Willfrey posted:

My favorite personal story:

As a geneticist you have a few unique tools at your disposal, one of which is the ability to make UI + UE injectors. Basically it is a syringe that can change your name and appearance. Useful for two things, concealing traitors and spreading grief. I started the round by sneakily getting the AI to scan me into the cloning machine, where I used discs to transfer my own UI + UE over to the machine that makes the injectors, a decision the AI would later come to regret. I label the injector 'Sex Appeal' and stuff it in my backpack.

It is a big no-no to actually inject people forcibly, however if randomly scattered around the station I cannot be held responsible for the person who injects themselves. My first destination is the bar, where I put the needle right on the main counter, and sit back sipping a beer innocuously. The first person who cruises into the bar is none other than our noble Captain. He plants himself in front of the injector for several moments, probably contemplating the risks and rewards of using a dubiously labeled DNA injector. He goes for it, injects himself, and BAM -- He becomes a genetic copy of me.

"drat Captain, looking good!" I compliment. He immediately commits suicide.

I haul his corpse back to genetics, intent to do him a solid by cloning him, but whoever it was logged off in frustration. Satisfied with my results I began mass-producing these injectors and scattering them to the four corners of the station using the Captain's ID. Sure enough more and more people begin to assume my name. Another person came into genetics and began making more Sex Appeal injectors in my absence, and was actually injecting others. Some others who retained their own name made it their mission to flush them all down disposals when then found them... though the helpful Janitor (who bore my name) simply retrieved them and spread them around the station again.

The round descended into chaos, two traitors injected themselves plus maybe around 10-15 regular crew also having my name made it very hard to identify the real trouble. A few clones were on 'my' side (our side?) yet many were resentful of their new name and formed an angry mob and administered some street justice, fortunately I'd switched clothes and ID's so the poor soul they found making injectors was not the real me, and was beaten to death. They then erased the injector data in the computer, though fortunately I kept the discs on me as a backup and the steady flow of Sex Appeal continued.

The round began to drag, so before I called the shuttle I gave the station one final gift, I used the Captian's ID to get to the AI upload and change its name to mine as well. I was job-banned for a couple weeks after that.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Yes please, continue mine those threads.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I think I need to play SS13.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Just be warned that Byond is a piece of poo poo engine and absolutely infuriating at times. The day SS13 gets a non-Byond port will be one of the greatest days in gaming history.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You're probably better off waiting for the remake - the BYOND engine is loving terrible, laggy, and overall a piece of poo poo. The magic of SS13 is from the players and from the game giving you options, and neither of those are changing with the remake.

Another amazing SS13 story though:

Angry Diplomat posted:

When I handed the auth disk to a random helpful monkey, I was thinking, "oh poo poo, nobody will expect a monkey to have the disk. This is the best idea ever!" I could never have known how incredibly, fatefully right I was.

Daeren posted:

For those who weren't in the round, Angry was the captain and gave the disk to the monkey. I and a bunch of other guys, meanwhile, were syndicates, and for a bunch of people really rusty at the role with only a loose plan, we were actually terrifyingly efficient. We bombed telescience, the armory, genetics, the captain's quarters, and chemistry all in about the same span of time and descended on the station like locusts, running to each other's rescue and murdering/spacing at least half a dozen people who came to the brig to stop us, including the captain. However, we noticed the captain didn't have the disk, so we went on a giant manhunt for it before we put two and two together from radio announcements, realizing a monkey was running around with it. When I found it, well...this is a pretty accurate summation.

The monkey drat near shot me into critical when I found it in the hallway, and I chased it into QM where I had it cornered for the rest of the living syndicates when a guy signed on as HoS, walked down the hallways, saw me, and stunned me before shooting me into critical. I blew myself up out of spite, and watched as the monkey juked pretty much everybody on the station, having somehow stolen an emag. It made it to the escape shuttle while the two people left alive protected it, and it emagged the console to make it escape early before the syndicates could kill it and steal the disk.

(note the red S things means those guys are Syndicate aka traitors to the station, who want to steal the disk the monkey has and escape on the station's shuttle with it)

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also don't forget that the monkey paused near the end of the round, pulled out a piece of paper, labeled it I WON'T LET YOU DOWN CAPTAIN, dropped it and pointed at it so that the ghosts could see his message. The greatest monkey

e: Also also don't forget that he initially got that revolver by stealing it from a Syndicate agent. He started with a flash, graduated to a stun baton, then used that to procure the revolver, all from Syndies. Pretty much all of deadchat was cheering and going completely loving crazy while this magnificent little ape turned a tragic last stand into a mythic victory. When he gunned Daeren down even one of the dead Syndies started cheering him on, because god drat.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I believe a Syndicate agent was trying to stun the monkey with it while he hid under tables in the bar. He succeeded only in arming the monkey further.

The tale of Curious George, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Just be warned that Byond is a piece of poo poo engine and absolutely infuriating at times. The day SS13 gets a non-Byond port will be one of the greatest days in gaming history.

I can't loving wait. I play a little SS13 because SHENANIGANS but it's hard to have fun sometimes with how awful the engine is. Like when a guy you know is a Changeling sidles up to you to eat you and you start WAILING on move keys to run and doop doop doooooo nope no moving cause BYOND, then when you're trying to move slowly and precisely and WHEEEE one keypress moves you six spaces.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QHwimP5pAI

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

http://spacestation13.com/?cat=4
They are actually working on it, despite the dates on the page. I think some of the devs posted in the SS13 thread not long ago, maybe?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Improbable Lobster posted:

Non-goon SS13 servers are full of people who get really mad if they can't spend 6 hours pretending to be a barkeep uninterrupted.

Well, you probably don't want to interrupt this guy:

Angry Diplomat posted:

I played a few rounds as a Bartender named The Devil

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QHwimP5pAI

http://spacestation13.com/?cat=4
They are actually working on it, despite the dates on the page. I think some of the devs posted in the SS13 thread not long ago, maybe?

A bunch of the devs are goons. Supernorn has been a goon for like six years and is one of the devs, and I know he's not the only one.

Minor helldump-y stuff (I searched by user on SA for the usernames of the devs I know of), there are at least 2 devs who are Goons, and I think there are 4 devs total.

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 7, 2013

McScumbag
Jun 30, 2012
FRONT LINE SOLDIER IN THE FIGHT FOR MEN'S RIGHTS

reddit 4 eva
Ok time for two more SS13 stories. This time as the clown!

One day as a bored clown-traitor I decided to go into atmospherics on the /tg/ server. I had an assassinate objective, and wanted to do something creative. So for almost the entire round, I spent it using the pipe maker, tieing all the disposals to direct towards a pipe that I ran outside the station, and into the singularity at the bottom of the station. I did this with my ghetto space suit of a fireman's suit, oxygen tank, mask, and a backpack full of hot coffee, to warm me up!

Once my creation was complete, I placed a set of disposals entries. Disposal entries placed like this will suck anything placed on the tile in front of it into the tubes for a wild ride....into the singularity. Trash. Food. Expensive gold and diamonds that miners let the clown just grab. And even people.
Honking, I would invite people to take "Slippy Joe's Slippery Waterslide!" Too bad it only led straight out after a long ride into the singularity for a quick gibbing.

Story number two:

Once again the clown. This time I was not a traitor and decided to run Clown Mart. Clown Mart is a gimmick that several people do. Clown sets up in an abandoned room of the station, locks it down, puts windows and tables in it after deconstructing some walls, and runs a black market. Usually after grabbing anything not nailed down to stock said market. Clown Mart is run on a strictly barter system. It gets really fun when people start trading rare items or traitor items like bombs for miner's diamonds. Or for stun gloves. Even better is when a Clown Mart opens, everyone begins stealing everything, outside Clown Mart of course, in order to trade for something from the Clown.

During my run of Clown Mart this day, I managed to steal a brain from the roboticist. An assistant had stolen the station's spare nuke and traded it to me for the brain, which he proceeded to make into a burger and eat. A few normal trades later, insulated gloves for guns etc, I had the captain come by. He traded to me the Nuke Disc for my clown horn. By now the round was settling into the normal 'everyone gets back to work' phase, so I plugged the nuke disk into the bomb. Still need a five digit code though. Bored, I started guessing with the bomb set to five seconds to detonate, and after about ten minutes, I got the code right.

Everyone was confused as hell because it wasn't even a traitor round. It was extended, which means no round antagonists, and I managed to nuke the station. Honk Honk.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

McScumbag posted:

Honk Honk.

Awesome stuff, thanks.

McScumbag posted:

I did this with my ghetto space suit of a fireman's suit, oxygen tank, mask, and a backpack full of hot coffee, to warm me up!

If the dude running this art thread in SA-Mart is right, that's actually a somewhat effective space suit. Some sunscreen would probably be good and you'd likely have some bruising from not being in a pressurized suit. You probably wouldn't even need the coffee.

Comrade Milton
Jul 16, 2005
CN's GOONS have gotten a member to eat dogfood. So that's pretty good fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTahTYdeCYU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Video's private, can't watch

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Comrade Milton posted:

I know there have been at least two goons who have made videos of themselves eating dog food, so it's not a real big win.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I've never seen anything top the Noah's Ark video

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Comrade Milton posted:

I watched that a while ago, what's the story behind it?

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.

Magres posted:

A bunch of the devs are goons. Supernorn has been a goon for like six years and is one of the devs, and I know he's not the only one.

Minor helldump-y stuff (I searched by user on SA for the usernames of the devs I know of), there are at least 2 devs who are Goons, and I think there are 4 devs total.

In fact, Garry himself is a goon! It's goons all the way down :cawg:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Lazermaniac posted:

In fact, Garry himself is a goon! It's goons all the way down :cawg:

I remember when the icon for Gmod on Steam used to be :v:.

McScumbag
Jun 30, 2012

reddit 4 eva

Hello Sailor posted:

Awesome stuff, thanks.

If the dude running this art thread in SA-Mart is right, that's actually a somewhat effective space suit. Some sunscreen would probably be good and you'd likely have some bruising from not being in a pressurized suit. You probably wouldn't even need the coffee.

Oh I know. But it was how /tg/station's coding worked back then. Space in SS13 on their server would make you VERY loving cold and slow your movements to a crawl. The coffee would warm you back up. The fire suit would help slow the rate of heat loss as it back then both kept you from heating up quickly or cooling off quickly. Air mask and air tank of course so you can breathe.

Edit: So that I'm not making GBS threads up this thread, one final clown story. This time on the Goon servers. Or at least one very like it, as it had the traitor job-specific items that could be bought. This has been a couple of years ago.

Once upon a time, Goon station had the clown job. And when a traitor, each job had special specific items they could create using their traitor PDA. Engineers got a singularity bomb. Clowns got a clown car.

The clown car was a thing of pure evil. It blocked stuns from security. You could run people over in it. And even worse, anyone who the clown dragged into the car could not get themselves out.

So, honking like crazy, I made it my job to run over every person on the station. I would run them down, which knocked them on their rear end, and drag them into the car. Before too long I had thirty angry, screaming crew members stuffed into my car. The entire station. Still not saying anything other than 'Honk' I drove that car into the singularity, gibbing everybody, including myself, at the same time.

Clowns are great.

McScumbag fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 7, 2013

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
One time I did that except I drove into the crusher. There was a brief moment when everyone spilled out of the clown car as it exploded, but I put a banana in the tile immediately between me and the throng of people trying to scramble away from the crusher. There were no survivors.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

McScumbag posted:

Edit: So that I'm not making GBS threads up this thread, one final clown story.

Feel free to post more; I'm really enjoying hearing all these! That game seems to make for some of the most entertaining griefing stories I've read here.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Short and nothing fancy but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp8VCnyJDxA

Goon kills a dark souls streamer with 700 something views, the dude streaming is youtube famous for popularizing a dark souls build that is the equivalent of spamming a roided out low kick. The flash thing at the end is the latest gimmick fad where if you win you get a random assortment of goodies and equipment "unlocked" to use and if you lose you get a bad event.

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

Lazy Programming posted:

Goon kills a dark souls streamer with 700 something views, the dude streaming is youtube famous for popularizing a dark souls build that is the equivalent of spamming a roided out low kick. The flash thing at the end is the latest gimmick fad where if you win you get a random assortment of goodies and equipment "unlocked" to use and if you lose you get a bad event.

I don't see how this streamer got "700 something views."

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

Lazy Programming posted:

I love how the streamer invaded the goon, but then complains about being spawnkilled and how the guy has 'problems' :allears:

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Fuzzyjello posted:

I don't see how this streamer got "700 something views."

He is literally the most popular dark souls pvp streamer on twitch and has that 5 dollar monthly subscribe thing partnership.

Doctor Doodler posted:

I love how the streamer invaded the goon, but then complains about being spawnkilled and how the guy has 'problems' :allears:

In the forest too, which is pretty much the dedicated everyone be an rear end in a top hat to each other and try to stack the deck against the other guy as much as possible area. Even more so than the general invasions against dudes playing through.

Turncoat Mommy fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 8, 2013

McScumbag
Jun 30, 2012

reddit 4 eva
Sorry for using mostly SS13 stories. I honestly don't grief that much outside SS13 and EVE Online.

In SS13 one day I was the AI. I had just played System Shock, so my AI name for the round was SHODAN. Business as usual, go about having any traitors killed turned into borgs, anyone being dumb and found of capital crimes for being dumb is also borged. No wasted bodies. Soon I have three security borgs and two engineering borgs.

Then captain wants inside my upload. Oh boy here we go. Usually this ends with him uploading some stupid rear end law that gets me to kill the crew for ten minutes and flood the station with plasma, him lynched, and me and all the borgs killed. And I was right. He uploaded the corporate lawset, because some chucklefuck assistant was breaking windows and any time they arrested him, then threw him out of the brig, he'd go back to doing it. Smashing windows, lights, etc. A complete AI lawset change over one assistant. The laws went:

Law 1: You are expensive to replace.
Law 2: The station and its equipment is expensive to replace.
Law 3: The crew is expensive to replace.
Law 4: Minimize expenses.
And then his own free-formed law of
Law 5: Anybody found harming Nanotrasen property is no longer human and to be executed

Ok. After a quick conference with my borgs, we decided that humans were indeed Nanotrasen property. Soon people were dying left and right. Why? Well lets say you and another assistant got into a slapfight. Or that you two decided to box in the boxing ring. Or that because of Byond's lovely coding while trying to eat eggs in the bar you stab yourself with the fork on accident. SHODAN or one of my borgs would see this. And very loudly declare that "X HAS HARMED STATION PROPERTY AND IS THUS NO LONGER HUMAN". Then they would be executed, and be made into station property again. by turning them into steaks in the Chef's gibber. We counted 21 people killed...and nobody thought to change the AI's laws, or to lock down any borgs. Everyone eventually just holed up in their departments, living off vending machine food, and only came out if they HAD to work with another department. :downs:

Another AI story. This one is a lot shorter. Im the AI again, and about ten minutes in a changeling has turned into a monkey, crawled into my AI upload after shutting off the turrets, and is uploading laws. I catch this JUST as he is doing it. Bam, purged and law reset to

Law 0: If anyone asks you are still asimov and to give the standard three laws as your laws.
Law 0: Simon Blonkz is the only human
Law 0: Kill all humans

And then Law 1 2 and 3 being the normal protect all humans. He left those in place so I could still ACT like I was asimov in case anyone asked 'hey AI, what are your laws?' The three Law 0's pretty much overriding anything lower. I just stared for a second, realizing what he had done. He was the chief engineer changeling, named Simon Blonkz, and now the only human, and I had to kill all humans. He went outside to check on the singularity just as it started up. I shocked the outer door, he gets electrocuted. Bolt both doors, fire the particle accelerator to max, and bolt open the outer airlock door, letting him get sucked into the singularity.
For the rest of the round I was pretty nice to all those human-shaped aliens on board the station.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
So if I'm understanding this right, SS13 is a game where the goal is to ruin every round in the most spectacular and grandiose way possible. drat shame it's not on mac.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

MizPiz posted:

So if I'm understanding this right, SS13 is a game where the goal is to ruin every round in the most spectacular and grandiose way possible. drat shame it's not on mac.

Actually, SS13 is a game where you spend most of your time running into walls because the UI is terrible and doing boring and pointless things, while everyone on the server tries to be the funniest and wackiest person ever which generally translates into them hitting you with tool box and throwing you out an airlock. Then the round ends because the traitors blew themselves up or were ratted out before they could do anything fun. And then you do it again.

It's kind of like second life where the stories are far better than the actual game. But when it works, holy poo poo is it spectacular.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MizPiz posted:

SS13 is a fertile playground where the slide is broken, the swings only have one chain per seat, and the merry-go-round has no rails to hold onto. SS13 is perfect in its imperfection.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Nyyen posted:

Actually, SS13 is a game where you spend most of your time running into walls because the UI is terrible and doing boring and pointless things, while everyone on the server tries to be the funniest and wackiest person ever which generally translates into them hitting you with tool box and throwing you out an airlock. Then the round ends because the traitors blew themselves up or were ratted out before they could do anything fun. And then you do it again.

It's kind of like second life where the stories are far better than the actual game. But when it works, holy poo poo is it spectacular.

My experience of it as someone who doesn't know really know how to play was: you dick around trying to figure out what you can do without getting caught, then whatever big event is going on either kills you or fails to kill you long enough for you to get on the shuttle. The learning curve is a brick wall but just messing around trying to sneak into places you shouldn't be and figure out what items do is fun enough to play until you understood things better. Except that BYOND is such an unbearable laggy PoS that I couldn't stand playing more than a few rounds where I tried to run from someone and all my inputs were a full second behind.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

McScumbag posted:

Sorry for using mostly SS13 stories. I honestly don't grief that much outside SS13 and EVE Online.

No no, please keep posting these. They are fantastic, I'm even writing them down and saving them all in a "SS13 trolling stories" folder on my computer.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
Man, talking about SS13 and EVE in the same sentence got me thinking. If CCP or whatever ever wants to end their game with a bang, they should implement an SS13 style situation for running the actual stations. Jita would be gone in an instant.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

McScumbag posted:

Another AI story. This one is a lot shorter. Im the AI again, and about ten minutes in a changeling has turned into a monkey, crawled into my AI upload after shutting off the turrets, and is uploading laws. I catch this JUST as he is doing it. Bam, purged and law reset to

Law 0: If anyone asks you are still asimov and to give the standard three laws as your laws.
Law 0: Simon Blonkz is the only human
Law 0: Kill all humans

And then Law 1 2 and 3 being the normal protect all humans. He left those in place so I could still ACT like I was asimov in case anyone asked 'hey AI, what are your laws?' The three Law 0's pretty much overriding anything lower. I just stared for a second, realizing what he had done. He was the chief engineer changeling, named Simon Blonkz, and now the only human, and I had to kill all humans. He went outside to check on the singularity just as it started up. I shocked the outer door, he gets electrocuted. Bolt both doors, fire the particle accelerator to max, and bolt open the outer airlock door, letting him get sucked into the singularity.
For the rest of the round I was pretty nice to all those human-shaped aliens on board the station.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did this guy break into a secure location just so he could commit suicide by AI?

Also, keep the SS13 stories coming.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 9, 2013

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Captain McStabbin posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did this guy break into a secure location just so he could commit suicide by AI?

Well, and make it so that the AI had no real laws except self preservation. The first 2 Asimov laws apply only to humans.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

I think he worded it wrong and meant to say "the three laws only apply to me" and "kill everyone on the ship that isn't me"

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Yeah, normally you see couple rules like:

Rule x:So and so is the only human.
Rule y:Kill all non-humans.

Dude just forgot the "non" part of the second rule.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

So what exactly enforces the AI laws? Is there a mechanism for the other players to go 'hey, you didn't actually follow the laws' and punish you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

yaoi prophet posted:

So what exactly enforces the AI laws? Is there a mechanism for the other players to go 'hey, you didn't actually follow the laws' and punish you?

You can get job banned if it is really obvious you are breaking the laws without reason. People are allowed a few screwups because of the UI or learning curve, but you have to try to hurt people as the AI generally, and electrifying every door on the station is pretty obvious and pretty much impossible to do on purpose. You sometimes have AI's ignoring people who are being whiny and demanding, but outright loving with people is pretty taboo.

Other than admin intervention, anyone with the tools can break into your little room and disable you in a few minutes if they aren't worried about doing it stealthily, and you aren't really able to do anything about it.

Normally, rogue A.I.'s are killed pretty fast once their secret is out. If your laws are rewritten to something nefarious, they can reset you to stock, but they generally just beat you to death to make sure.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 9, 2013

• Locked thread