Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

CPL593H posted:

They're doing a bang up job as a record label.

They're bringing their business model of posters into records. Have a bunch of nerds vying to buy a limited number of things, sell out whatever it is in 30 seconds and take everyone's money, and then take months to deliver.

Fortunately, I live in Austin so I can just go pick up their poo poo off the rack from Waterloo at reasonable prices (I've got the Oblivion soundtrack and Drive RSD picture disc which didn't make it out in time for RSD).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
And again, as I've mentioned before in this thread, Mondo as a record label has distribution through, like, Forced Exposure or somebody like that. Their stuff is in pretty much every decent independent record store in the country. Their stuff is not hard to find or buy.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
I have a feeling that I might have a problem with buying records ... it seems that it turns off the bit of my brain that acts rationally, especially when I see a copy of something I really want that's priced for less than it usually would be, I just buy it straight away without any regard as to whether I can afford it or not, it's not healthy.

But, due to this problematic behaviour, I should be receiving a copy of something very special soon ... I tried to find a photo of the record but didn't have much luck, so I'll take one when it turns up :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Different international editions of albums often have different album art and track listings and so on- but how common is it for different countries' pressings to vary in sound or mix quality?

Basically, I already have a Canadian edition of The Dreaming that I had to get via eBay because good loving luck looking for Kate Bush albums in the States. By some bizarre cosmic joke, my local shop just got a UK pressing in and I'm actually sort of considering picking it up- just on the off chance that it might sound different. God, I'm becoming one of those people.

Can somebody please tell me how neurotic and/or unreasonable I'm being?

I think this hobby is starting to become bad for me.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

how common is it for different countries' pressings to vary in sound or mix quality?

Pretty common. And in my experience, pressings from the artists' home countries tend to sound the best, probably because they're almost certainly sourced from first generation tapes. There are definitely many exceptions; the mediocre UK pressing of Bowie's "Low" springs to mind, as do the US pressing of Iggy Pop's first two albums, which are trounced by the German pressings. But if I were you, if the price is right, I'd pick it up, do an A/B comparison/shootout, and then sell whichever one you think sounds inferior. It's possible that they'll sound almost identical, in which case it may not have been worth the trouble in the first place (esp. if the price is not right, and/or you don't get all/most of your money back from the one you sell). But there may also be a huge difference in sound quality.

Plus, holding a shootout is fun, in and of itself. Or so I think. I'm one of those "those" people.

e: I just did your research for you. I direct you here.

quote:

ANYTHING is better than the US disc. English version shouldn't be hard to find.

quote:

UK is definitely better; it's very difficult to reproduce (it's one of EMI's first DMM cuts, but it's unlike any German DMM in that it's much louder). The first issue is signed 'copperman' in the run-out (by Ian Cooper).

That's two enthusiastic votes for the UK over the US. You'd better hope it's still at the shop!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 6, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Kinda sorta relevant to the discussion here, I happen to have the German pressing of The Idiot and it sounds amazing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

izationalizer posted:

That's two enthusiastic votes for the UK over the US. You'd better hope it's still at the shop!

gently caress you.

My roommate's watching a movie so I haven't gotten the chance to do a shootout yet. It was only $15 for (relative) peace of mind. I know what my friend's getting for his birthday....

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

gently caress you.

My roommate's watching a movie so I haven't gotten the chance to do a shootout yet. It was only $15 for (relative) peace of mind. I know what my friend's getting for his birthday....

I can't remember, are you one of the Boston people?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I can't remember, are you one of the Boston people?

Yessir. Picked it up at the Comm. Ave IYE, which is about a 10 minute walk from my house.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I think I'm going to head over to Golden Gate park tomorrow and then check out Amoeba. Mississippi Records didn't have anything interesting and I had to wait around for a bit for it to open (noon opening time? :wtc:)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yessir. Picked it up at the Comm. Ave IYE, which is about a 10 minute walk from my house.

I thought so. I recognized the price tag. :spergin:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

how common is it for different countries' pressings to vary in sound or mix quality?

I've heard tales that when it came time for Australia to get their copies of international albums, the local distributing label, usually Festival was sent stampers. Not a mother, not a tape, but stampers from the original label.

Also Perthgoons, Record fair, next Sunday at the Coventry Village markets Morley. That is of course unless you vote for the wrong party today and the government fails before then.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

david puddy posted:

I think I'm going to head over to Golden Gate park tomorrow and then check out Amoeba. Mississippi Records didn't have anything interesting and I had to wait around for a bit for it to open (noon opening time? :wtc:)

My dad picked up the Charley Patton TMR release and Random Access Memories for me a couple weeks ago from that one. I haven't been to one since I got into vinyl sadly, but my wife and I are going to try and hit LA in the fall so hopefully I'll get to check out their selection. It's easily the best remaining chain of stores for music in general.

Also weirdly I saw a couple dudes at the grocery store last week who were using bags from there to put their groceries in. I live in Texas so I thought it somewhat odd.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

david puddy posted:

At least you got to be here for our last week of sunshine before the 9 months of grey and rain starts

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I bought this a while back and I have the full album they cut after this on my phone, so I took my sweet time checking it out, but this EP is a great little gem. 6 nice upbeat reggae songs, cool red vinyl.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

At least you got to be here for our last week of sunshine before the 9 months of grey and rain starts

The weather has actually been incredible everywhere, my friends tell me I'm pretty lucky with Portland and SF.

I should've done record shopping when I was in England, it probably would've been good for Parlophone Beatles releases

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Some rear end in a top hat broke my wrist, and more listening to records is really difficult. Also, the new Dent May record looks really cool. It's blue and clear and pretty.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Scott Pilgrim VS The World soundtrack is getting repressed, again on red vinyl. Pre-orders popping up all over.

I saw some guy selling it for 90 dollars, saw he had relisted it time and time again with an expected shipping date of next month. Lo and behold, apparently they're repressing it.

That guy is gonna make mint.

e: http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/09/06/copies-of-scott-pilgrim-now-available/

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 8, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The Scott Pilgrim VS The World soundtrack is getting repressed, again on red vinyl. Pre-orders popping up all over.

I saw some guy selling it for 90 dollars, saw he had relisted it time and time again with an expected shipping date of next month. Lo and behold, apparently they're repressing it.

It's about goddamn time. I'm also glad that this happened before I managed to find one and pay an insane price for it.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Looks like Brand New - Devil and God are Raging Inside Me is getting a repressing.

quote:

http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/09/09/confirmed-brand-new-devil-and-god-repress-coming/

Music On Vinyl has confirmed to Modern Vinyl, along with some curious Twitter users, that they will be releasing a vinyl repressing of Brand New’s 2006 full length album, The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me. The first 666 copies being sold will be on red marbled vinyl, while the remaining copies will be on 180-gram black. A few different (U.S.) Amazon listings have shown up already, but we’ll be sure to keep you updated on any additional purchase links.

The repressing will be released on November 4th.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I feel bad, but, I think it was the right thing to do when I bought a copy of Sissy Spacek - s/t on vinyl for $20 this week in hopes that it will be worth a lot more in a couple of years. Maybe I'll end up really liking it, maybe...

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Anybody else pick up the Arcade Fire/Reflektors 12" today? I really want to skip the rest of the work day and go home and listen.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

My copy's in the mail because I live in the fifth largest city in the country but there were 0 copies here.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently the Studio Ghibli albums are shipping next week. Finally.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

The Human Cow posted:

Anybody else pick up the Arcade Fire/Reflektors 12" today? I really want to skip the rest of the work day and go home and listen.

I got mine. I called to see what time they were selling them (I thought it was supposed to be at 9pm?), and they had already started, and there were only 2 copies left! I had to haul rear end over there on my bike (no car) but I managed to snag the last one. So if anybody here was waiting I'd suggest you call and see if they're already being sold.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The Newbury Comics in Burlington, MA is selling them at 9.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
My copy of the reissue of Selected Ambient Works 85-92 showed up today! Looks like it's going to end up being pretty tough to come by - it looks like Amazon has them available, but they're $34 (about $10 more than Experimedia had copies for) and won't be available for 5-10 days. If you're on the fence, though, I'm listening to it now and it sounds as good as I've ever heard this album sound.

Also if I may indulge in a little self-promotion, I started updating my record collection blog again recently after a good amount of downtime due to work-related insanity; check it out if you have literally nothing better to do I guess.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Arcade Fire album preorder is up. https://www.arcadefire.com/reflektorpreorder

$19.98 seemed like a good deal for a double LP until the $15 for cheapest shipping. Going to just wait for Amazon pre-order on this

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

I just got the two Kyary Pamyu Pamyu picture singles and I cannot wait to show my friends[citation needed] how cool I am

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

Peacebone posted:

Arcade Fire album preorder is up. https://www.arcadefire.com/reflektorpreorder

$19.98 seemed like a good deal for a double LP until the $15 for cheapest shipping. Going to just wait for Amazon pre-order on this

You can order it from Merge Records for $24.98 with free shipping. http://www.mergerecords.com/store/store_detail.php?catalog_id=958

Edit: The free shipping is ground but I've always received my records early from them. The last album I preordered was Superchunk's new album and it came a week before the official release date.

Rush Hour Renegade fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 10, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I got to check out Amoeba today and holy heck it's big. Disappointing lack of Beatles and Porcupine Tree but I picked up Earthbound by King Crimson and Immunity by Jon Hopkins. Let's hope they survive the next 5 days :downs:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Dr. Lenin posted:

Looks like Brand New - Devil and God are Raging Inside Me is getting a repressing.

Pre-orders available now here.

$40, but I'd rather pay that than the $100+ it goes for otherwise.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Schremp Howard posted:

Pre-orders available now here.

$40, but I'd rather pay that than the $100+ it goes for otherwise.

From what I hear this COULD be something that's kept in print on black. Which would be awesome because then I don't have to jump on it right now and it'll be harder for flippers to actually get people to pay $100+

Also, Hydra Head put up a repress of We Are the Romans so it's been a good week for albums I want but not at resale prices. It's been a bad week for me actually buying them though because money is stupid.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
For all the work that went into the presentation of these 7"s, and the quality of the music on them, I'm kind of disappointed that there's no inner sleeve to protect the record when it's inside the the jacket. Is this fairly common for 7"s? I have one other record like it, and I find it really irritating because it means the record sits fairly loosely in the sleeve, and is more likely to get damaged. Everything else about the release is excellent though, even if the vinyl feels a little on the thin side, even for a 7".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

nomapple posted:

For all the work that went into the presentation of these 7"s, and the quality of the music on them, I'm kind of disappointed that there's no inner sleeve to protect the record when it's inside the the jacket. Is this fairly common for 7"s? I have one other record like it, and I find it really irritating because it means the record sits fairly loosely in the sleeve, and is more likely to get damaged. Everything else about the release is excellent though, even if the vinyl feels a little on the thin side, even for a 7".

Once in a while I come across this, but not very often. You can buy inner sleeves for 45s, which is what I do because I tend to clean them and then re-sleeve them.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Dissapointed Owl posted:

e: http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/09/06/copies-of-scott-pilgrim-now-available/

Amazon's got this as shipping on 9/15 now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Amazon's got this as shipping on 9/15 now.

It's already in stock at Sound Stage Direct.

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-soundtrack-vinyl-lp.shtml

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm a little late to this, but man, those buyers are gonna feel like total idiots when they find out that they've been buying represses for $90. And that seller strikes me as extra scummy--even for a flipper--probably because he's not forthcoming about the fact that the reissue is upcoming. But I must admit, it's a clever strategy for raking in obscene profits. I wouldn't do it, but it is clever.

Also, it's old-ish news by now (i.e., a month or so old), but In the Red finally released the Urinals' "Negative Capability... Check It Out!" 2xLP, which had long been CD-only. Great band, and an essential compilation, in my humble opinion. The fetishist in me is bummed that I missed out on the limited-to-200-copies red vinyl version, but I'll console myself with my prized original 7"s.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

What's the loving point of preordering something from the record label when it doesn't even ship until 2 days after release and won't get here for another week??

gently caress you, Anti-.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Me in Reverse posted:

What's the loving point of preordering something from the record label when it doesn't even ship until 2 days after release and won't get here for another week??

gently caress you, Anti-.

Indie hipster street cred?