Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Baronjutter posted:

Was just in Seattle on the weekend, holy poo poo that city loves highways. It's like vancouver if vancouver was utterly destroyed by criss-crossing highways in every direction. What the gently caress were they thinking destroying their downtown waterfront with that elevated highway? Glad they're finally getting rid of it. The downtown core was pretty walkable but the area north of downtown by the space needle was an absolute maze to walk. So many sort-of-highways right in the middle of what should be a walkable urban area with no way to cross them for hundreds of meters in each direction. We were trying to get from A to B which should have been like a 500m walk by the crow flies but due to lovely car sewers it was a 1km+ walk on some super unpleasant stroads. Also no bike lanes anywhere so everyone was riding on the sidewalk and the only people actually on the roads were Lycra-clad cycle-warriors getting honked at and tail-gated by cars.

Seattle, get your poo poo together.

You were in the wrong part of town. I stayed across the street from PAX at the Sheraton and walked everywhere. Cap Hill (across the 5), Pike Place Market, South Lake Union, you name it. It's a walker's paradise in that area and when it came time to leave I just walked to the shopping mall's underground terminal for the light rail / transit tunnel underground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, I was just in Seattle for work, and it was great. Getting from the actual waterfront back up to like 4th Ave turned out to be surprisingly challenging for an out of towner, simply because holy poo poo that hill is huge an I'm not surprised only a few of the cross street run up it. Downtown was a blast to walk in though.

Also, looking at it on Google maps, I gather the road Baconjutter is complaining about is the Alaskan Way Viaduct? I didn't even notice it was there. :v:

grover posted:

There's speeding, and then there's speeding. I've oft heard said that speed limits are intentionally set about 10mph slower than the intended speed because it's cheaper to enforce that way. The drawback is that now, in most states, when one car is going 71 in a 55, he's given a ticket for 16mph over, even when all the traffic around him is doing 70. The way our justice system works, it just seems patently unfair. And it also creates a large speed disparity. Set the speed limits properly (including reasonably minimum speed limits. Why is 41mph legal on a highway?) and only nail those who are actually driving an unsafe speed. And then ticket them appropriately.

What really pisses me off is that in Virginia, it's an automatic reckless driving charge (punishable by a massive fine and 6 months in jail) for going 80mph in a 70mph zone. Which is infuriatingly stupid and unfair. Especially when traffic usually flows at 85mph+ on those 70mph roads and it's almost arbitrary who gets picked out. No, driving 5-10mph faster than everyone else might be speeding, but it sure as hell isn't automatically reckless.

That's exactly why putting speed governors or cameras everywhere is great though; it changes things from being completely arbitrary to uniformly enforced. It'll go a long way to reduce the speed differentials too, by lopping off the top half of the curve, although there's always some idiot doing 15 under for some reason.

Echo 3
Jun 2, 2006

I have a bad feeling about this...

Baronjutter posted:

Was just in Seattle on the weekend, holy poo poo that city loves highways. It's like vancouver if vancouver was utterly destroyed by criss-crossing highways in every direction. What the gently caress were they thinking destroying their downtown waterfront with that elevated highway?

Welcome to every city in North America. It's not Seattle that's the odd one out in this respect, it's Vancouver. It blows my mind how little respect urban planners of the 50's had for waterfront property.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
What goes into the design of a road to keep massive multi-car pileups away?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Was just in Seattle on the weekend, holy poo poo that city loves highways. It's like vancouver if vancouver was utterly destroyed by criss-crossing highways in every direction. What the gently caress were they thinking destroying their downtown waterfront with that elevated highway? Glad they're finally getting rid of it. The downtown core was pretty walkable but the area north of downtown by the space needle was an absolute maze to walk. So many sort-of-highways right in the middle of what should be a walkable urban area with no way to cross them for hundreds of meters in each direction. We were trying to get from A to B which should have been like a 500m walk by the crow flies but due to lovely car sewers it was a 1km+ walk on some super unpleasant stroads. Also no bike lanes anywhere so everyone was riding on the sidewalk and the only people actually on the roads were Lycra-clad cycle-warriors getting honked at and tail-gated by cars.

Seattle, get your poo poo together.

The downtown waterfront used to be a huge ugly port facility, hence noone cared that
it was fenced off by the freeway. Same deal with the west side highway in New York City or the current route of I 95 through Baltimore (although the port facilities are still there in Baltimore).

Most cities with waterfront parks have them on the vacated remains of port industries, and thus tend to have put their freeways and highways alongside back in the day.

Echo 3 posted:

Welcome to every city in North America. It's not Seattle that's the odd one out in this respect, it's Vancouver. It blows my mind how little respect urban planners of the 50's had for waterfront property.

There was no reason to respect the ugly rear end working docks and wharfs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mamosodiumku posted:

Unless you can solve fog, probably nothing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fog lights maybe? My car has them, but I live in a place where fog never happens, so I have no idea what they're really for or how well they work.

Really that sounds like a collective case of driver error. They were out driving their visibility, and then couldn't stop in time. Classic night time driving mistake.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Terminal Entropy posted:

Also, this ends up being the result if everyone where to go exactly the speed limit:

If everyone gets to their destination when they want to what exactly is the problem with this?

If google gets their way this is how things will be

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
My experience with average speed controls is that they are the worst part of my trip when i encounter then even if i am not speeding.
Everyone sets their car to cruise control "their" 5kph under the speed limit. But because everyone's speedo is calibrated different this also seems to turn people into tailgating assholes. So you end up doing 125kph with a car 5 meters behind of you and 5 meters in front of you while people also feel they can now overtake on the right because gently caress you i am doing the speed limit.

Or during more quiet times you end up doing 133kph and are one of the lucky 2000 people per day (per controlled section) who gets to pay their €47 extra taxes. Especially on the A2 which has a design speed of 160kph but a speed limit of 100kph.

Probably not so bad with self driving cars but with regular people it is horrible and has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with revenue.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

thehustler posted:

If everyone gets to their destination when they want to what exactly is the problem with this?

25 mph is way safer than 55. Why not set a mandatory limit at 25?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I just wanted to thank this thread for teaching me cool stuff. I was at a store, and as I left, I said, "Waitaminit. This is a SPUI. Holy crap, this SPUI goes into a turbine interchange!"

Yup. Check that road out. From west to east: Parclo, cloverleaf, SPUI, turbine, trumpet. Couple of diamonds thrown in for good measure.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

PittTheElder posted:

That's exactly why putting speed governors or cameras everywhere is great though; it changes things from being completely arbitrary to uniformly enforced. It'll go a long way to reduce the speed differentials too, by lopping off the top half of the curve, although there's always some idiot doing 15 under for some reason.

You could always ticket people going under the minimum, too. That's every bit as illegal. My main issue is that, if enforcement is stepped up, fines should be reduced. Giving someone a $70 ticket every time they go 1mph over the limit isn't going to be well received. One dollar per (mph over the limit)^2 per mile traveled is much more equitable.

mamosodiumku posted:

You'd have to find a way to keep people a safe distance from one another. When you've got someone approaching the back-of-queue at high speed, there's nothing you can do to avoid the impending collision, but at least you can reduce the number of cars involved.

thehustler posted:

So long as they're all going the design speed, and not the arbitrarily low posted speed, it's not a problem. Just remember that higher speeds reduce delay cost and increase capacity, though there are diminishing returns.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I just wanted to thank this thread for teaching me cool stuff. I was at a store, and as I left, I said, "Waitaminit. This is a SPUI. Holy crap, this SPUI goes into a turbine interchange!"

Yup. Check that road out. From west to east: Parclo, cloverleaf, SPUI, turbine, trumpet. Couple of diamonds thrown in for good measure.

I know we're supposed to keep adjacent interchanges essentially identical, but there's something to be said for variety. And I'm glad you enjoyed the thread!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Volmarias posted:

25 mph is way safer than 55. Why not set a mandatory limit at 25?

This is stupid, I don't mean setting a low limit, I would like it if we set decent limits for every road and people stuck to them. How do we do THAT? People get all childish and "hurr nobody tells me what to do!"

These people are dicks.

(Answered above I see. My Google comment was regarding automatic cars)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

thehustler posted:

This is stupid, I don't mean setting a low limit, I would like it if we set decent limits for every road and people stuck to them. How do we do THAT? People get all childish and "hurr nobody tells me what to do!"

These people are dicks.

(Answered above I see. My Google comment was regarding automatic cars)

I too would like it if we set decent limits for every road and people stuck to them, but we're already stuck with arbitrarily low limits. That was the entire point of that photograph / event; the "leaders" were going the speed limit, and traffic was, as is visible, completely backed up behind them because the speed limit was set way too low for political reasons, and most people cruised at a higher speed.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Bottom line is that there will always be people that want to drive their own car at unsafe speeds, Google tech be damned.

If expressways were to become a conveyor belt of cars, dangerous drivers would shift to local roads... which is a huge safety problem.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Varance posted:

Bottom line is that there will always be people that want to drive their own car at unsafe speeds, Google tech be damned.

If expressways were to become a conveyor belt of cars, dangerous drivers would shift to local roads... which is a huge safety problem.

Only for a few weeks until they're all dead or severely crippled. :v:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Install Windows posted:

Only for a few weeks until they're all dead or severely crippled. :v:
You've obviously never driven in Florida, where 70 in a 55 is the normal flow of traffic. :colbert:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Varance posted:

You've obviously never driven in Florida, where 70 in a 55 is the normal flow of traffic. :colbert:

I don't see what's wrong with that? This is Florida too, you're probably not routing roads over twisty ancient colonial roads and you definitely aren't dealing with mountains and such.

Just today I was driving home doing 85 in a 60 keeping up with traffic up in the Appalachians.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
How effective are those information signs on the freeways? If a message of "Dense fog, please slow down" is put up, will cars pay attention to that, or would they just go at the same speed and crash?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mamosodiumku posted:

How effective are those information signs on the freeways? If a message of "Dense fog, please slow down" is put up, will cars pay attention to that, or would they just go at the same speed and crash?

They probably couldn't see the sign.

My only experience is with Tule Fog in California, and there is basically no way to stop it. Tule drops instantly. You can go from being able to see well in advance of you to not being able to see the end of your hood in seconds. You may not be able to see the lines in the road.
You can't stop or even slow down too much because it will just lead to the person running into you. One is specifically advised not to pull over and stop because a car behcind you might follow your lights and hit you.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

:psyduck:

We get told the exact opposite for dust storms: slow down and pull off the road.

So which is it?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Terminal Entropy posted:

:psyduck:

We get told the exact opposite for dust storms: slow down and pull off the road.

So which is it?
If you can't see past your hood, the answer is "pray."

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Install Windows posted:

I don't see what's wrong with that? This is Florida too, you're probably not routing roads over twisty ancient colonial roads and you definitely aren't dealing with mountains and such.

Just today I was driving home doing 85 in a 60 keeping up with traffic up in the Appalachians.
Was speaking specifically to the sections of I-275 in Tampa that date back to the 1960s (back when the road was the southern terminus of I-75). The road was wedged into an urban area, so it snakes in a similar fashion to legacy highways and lacks appropriate merges for ramps, shoulders and whatnot... hence the 55MPH limit, when the newer interstates like the current I-75 and the I-4 rebuild are 65-70MPH.

And then there's this curve on I-275 near downtown Tampa, which leads into this interchange with I-4. Blind curve into traffic merging from the left AND right, trying to get into the correct lanes for the interstate split. 70 in a 50. And then an S-curve with major elevation changes and the right lane ending. :suicide:

The worst is the I-275 N/B onramp from Hillsborough Ave/US92. You have *no* view of the interstate before the merge, and a short merge lane. There's multiple accidents here every day... and since the interchange is surrounded by historical buildings, there's not much to be done about it.

Keep in mind that we're in the process of tearing the whole thing down and rebuilding it from scratch, due to how terrible the original road is. I-75 is 1980s stuff... nice, flat and and signed 70 MPH. That's 90MPH territory, and FHP's candyland for writing tickets.

Varance fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 8, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

nm posted:

If you can't see past your hood, the answer is "pray."
As in "pray your adaptive cruise control works and will hit the brakes for you, and the guy behind you has adaptive cruise control, too"?

Personally, I'd trust science over God for this, but YMMV I guess.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Varance posted:

The worst is the I-275 N/B onramp from Hillsborough Ave/US92. You have *no* view of the interstate before the merge, and a short merge lane. There's multiple accidents here every day... and since the interchange is surrounded by historical buildings, there's not much to be done about it.
The absolute worst interesection I've seen in my life is the 15/581 interchange in Camphill, PA. 15 was calmed somewhat by nearby traffic lights, but 581 is a 4-lane limited access highway where traffic typically flows about 65mph. They did a massive reconstruction on it that finished in 2011, but you can still see the restrictions they had to deal with. Cars would come down this extremely tight cloverleaf with low visibility, and be forced to merge into 65mph traffic- not only did it have virtually no acceleration lane, the pathetic joke of an acceleration lane ended in a concrete bridge abutment since the overpass was only 4 lanes wide with no shoulder. It was awful to the point of terrifying. Was so bad they ended up replacing it with a suicide cloverleaf on eastbound 581 and a redlight on 15 to head west.

e: here's a historical (90s) image from Terraserver, complete with horrible watermarks. Northbound traffic trying to heat West had it the worst.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 8, 2013

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

grover posted:

As in "pray your adaptive cruise control works and will hit the brakes for you, and the guy behind you has adaptive cruise control, too"?

Personally, I'd trust science over God for this, but YMMV I guess.

How many people have a feature like that? I know I don't.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

John Dough posted:

Enough people don't that a legal specialty in dust storm accidents exists.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

John Dough posted:

Not many yet, but it's getting increasingly common. Just a matter of time until California requires all cars be equipped with it.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Boy guys, I think I spotted a little problem out in the field:

Out there at Exit 88 on I-95, we just finished a project to lengthen the accel and decel lanes, since they were woefully inadequate. The contractor did their work, new bridge built, pavement widened... and then went and re-striped the previous super-short lane lines. Now there's a gigantic shoulder that stretches a few hundred feet past the (still very problematic) accel lane.

Yes, the plans were very clear on the new striping. Yes, they should have known; this was the point of the entire project. See what I mean about people being stupid?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cichlidae posted:

You could always ticket people going under the minimum, too. That's every bit as illegal. My main issue is that, if enforcement is stepped up, fines should be reduced. Giving someone a $70 ticket every time they go 1mph over the limit isn't going to be well received. One dollar per (mph over the limit)^2 per mile traveled is much more equitable.
I'm curious as to why you think a $70 fine is high? I'm pretty sure nearly all of that would be swallowed up by administrative costs. (1 dollar/mph over)^2 sounds OK, though -- $100 for 10 over, $400 for 20 over, and probably not bothering to prosecute for much less. That all said, I'm pretty sure nobody gets fined for going 1mph (or even 5mph) over the limit, as it can be (and is) argued in court that it's within the measurement error of the apparatus.

Cichlidae posted:

So long as they're all going the design speed, and not the arbitrarily low posted speed, it's not a problem. Just remember that higher speeds reduce delay cost and increase capacity, though there are diminishing returns.
What does going over the posted speed do to accident and fatality rates?

Anyway, as an aside, somebody in DnD has started a thread on urban sprawl in the USA, which may be of interest to the denizens of this thread.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm curious as to why you think a $70 fine is high? I'm pretty sure nearly all of that would be swallowed up by administrative costs. (1 dollar/mph over)^2 sounds OK, though -- $100 for 10 over, $400 for 20 over, and probably not bothering to prosecute for much less. That all said, I'm pretty sure nobody gets fined for going 1mph (or even 5mph) over the limit, as it can be (and is) argued in court that it's within the measurement error of the apparatus.
I've seen 8mph on a freeway in a suburb of Minneapolis.

The problem is not the fines, honestly. Anything below $500 or so is dwarfed by the insurance rate increases, which is the real pain. Make anything under 15 or 20 over or something on a road with a limit of 55mph or higher (and something proportional for other limits) non-reportable and you'd see fewer complaints (Minnesota already does this to some degree. 65 in a 55 is non-reportable). that said, if they set limits at 85 percentile speeds, you'd also have fewer problems.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
People get fined over here for 3kph over the limit, but that's after generous margins for the equipment. At that point you were probably going at least 6kph over the limit, and your speedometer would show you going 10 over, most likely.

e: doesn't stop people complaining though

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

thehustler posted:

I think I know where this frame is from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoETMCosULQ

The full video. A bunch of Georgia Tech undergrads show how each lane going 55MPH (the speed limit) on I-285 (a highway that encircles Atlanta, GA) produces a bit of road rage.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I checked for this as best I could but being that it's a huge topic apologies if it's been covered:

What are your thoughts on the Nanpu Bridge Interchange in Shanghai? http://www.urbansplatter.com/one-of-the-worlds-biggest-highway-interchanges-nanpu-bridge/

I was in Shanghai a month ago and it blew my mind. It's so darn beautiful to look at but given the huge space it takes up I'm not sure how practical it would be without a Communist government that can just snatch up the land necessary.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hey! I remember when I was a kid and my mother took me there the day it opened! I've walked up and down that thing. I don't remember it being nearly so large, which is weird because when you're a kid, everything seems big.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

China sure loves it's highways.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Honestly, all told, it doesn't look that big, in comparison to some of the giant stuff we build here in the US.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Baronjutter posted:

China sure loves it's highways.

China also has massive mass transit. China is building everything.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cichlidae posted:

Boy guys, I think I spotted a little problem out in the field:

Out there at Exit 88 on I-95, we just finished a project to lengthen the accel and decel lanes, since they were woefully inadequate. The contractor did their work, new bridge built, pavement widened... and then went and re-striped the previous super-short lane lines. Now there's a gigantic shoulder that stretches a few hundred feet past the (still very problematic) accel lane.

Yes, the plans were very clear on the new striping. Yes, they should have known; this was the point of the entire project. See what I mean about people being stupid?

I'm a bit confused as to what I'm supposed to be seeing here. The black tire marks are surely construction traffic from soon after the paving was completed, yes? It's tempting to think those are skid marks, but that doesn't really make sense. The ones moving from the shoulder to the main line in particular - that would be someone accelerating / laying down rubber, which just seems impossible. If it was an emergency stop it wouldn't keep continuing.

And the short little wavy tracks are likewise probably a truck that drove off of the hot asphalt, picking up some asphalt binder on the tires, then it sat there a while and the asphalt cooled, then it drove off. Someone slamming on the brakes wouldn't be able to create such fast back-and-forth skid marks.

Is the picture just showing all that new pavement real estate that was meant to be accel / taper instead of full width shoulder? Don't you need healthy amounts of full width shoulder at the end of your accel anyway? It's hard to tell from the picture and without plans, but if I had the choice of ending a taper before I hit that curve, or tapering through that curve, with inadequate shoulder immediately past it, I think I would end the taper earlier. Especially if it's an existing condition that people have gotten used to working with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's so darn beautiful to look at but given the huge space it takes up I'm not sure how practical it would be without a Communist government that can just snatch up the land necessary.

Imagine if they hadn't done the spiraling trick and that bridge had to touch down somewhere half a kilometer inland. I'd say the hassle of clearing out a smallish block is a lot less than securing the ROW for a longass corridor, communist country or not.