Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Stop-Computer -Force -Computername localhost

ssh $ip -t poweroff :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A call came in to the after hours firewall support cell phone during business hours. Bit odd.

"I need to speak to Rick."
"Rick Simon, my manager?"
"Yeah, that sounds right."
"Do you have an existing case number, or some other ongoing case with Tim?"
"Yeah I'm trying to refinance my home."

Well, okay.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14415881/how-to-pair-socks-from-a-pile-efficiently?rq=1

:v:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

That's pretty much the example used to demonstrate the Pigeonhole principle. That and computing the minimum number of men in New York City who have the exact same number of hairs on their head.

Tekhne
Sep 11, 2001

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Veeam 7 backs up directly to tape as of earlier this month? Whoo! Or something!

Its great except that it is unable to eject the tape after the job is done. It has the option but it only works with libraries so you have to manually eject or use a script / third party app

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Tekhne posted:

Its great except that it is unable to eject the tape after the job is done. It has the option but it only works with libraries so you have to manually eject or use a script / third party app

Still better than my previous Veeam -> Disk + BuExec -> Tape thing!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

command line people posted:

Various ways to shut down Server 2012 from the command line.

Yes, hitting the Win button to call up the menu thingy, typing "cmd"+enter to launch a command prompt and then typing in a command is much faster than clicking Start - Shutdown.

But to be fair, I have server 2012 running on my laptop so I'm shutting down the server far more often than I would probably be doing in production. Still...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Our secondary DNS server doesn't resolve names. It doesn't even resolve its own hostname.

Technically this wouldn't be that big a deal, except the shitlords in charge of the network are totally willing to reboot the primary DNS server on a whim without notifying anyone, because the secondary exists.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Finally got my first "Do the needful" today. Now I feel like a real IT drone.

Regarding the outbreak of nostalgia in the last couple pages, Lifehacker still thinks Winamp is the best media player available for Windows.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
so a ticket came in.

One of the admin staff came in and asked me to prepare a document for them listing the features of BES 10 and how the management of devices differs between BES 10 and Exchange 2010.

Not a bit deal, but they need the info by Monday morning at the latest. Apparently they were told twenty minutes ago the directors meeting that was scheduled for next Friday afternoon was bumped to early Monday Afternoon.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Agrikk posted:

Yes, hitting the Win button to call up the menu thingy, typing "cmd"+enter to launch a command prompt and then typing in a command is much faster than clicking Start - Shutdown.

But to be fair, I have server 2012 running on my laptop so I'm shutting down the server far more often than I would probably be doing in production. Still...

If it's enough of a hassle, you could always make a script you can leave on the desktop. In the case of your laptop, you should be able to get away with using:
shutdown -p
which basically telling it to shut down without having to specify a comment or warning users that may be logged on.

**edit**
Just tested on a test server I'm working on. Looks like it's a "gently caress all Y'all, I'm shutting down now" type of thing. After powering the system back on, it was telling me there were Windows updates to install. So, thankfully, it's not an "Oh, let me helpfully install these poo poo ton of updates first, then I'll shutdown" type of thing.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 7, 2013

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Not me, but overheard. We got a ticket that a printer was making "train like noises, and that it was a safety hazard" and that the job can't be bypassed because there isn't a nearby printer that could be used as an alternative. One of our guys goes out, then comes back. Turns out that the "train like noise" was maybe slightly louder than normal printer operation, and the "no nearby printers" meant "there's a printer 10 metres away, gently caress am I going to walk to that"

Also had another ticket where a monitor would randomly turn itself off. We got it on a Monday, hooked it up to a laptop, disabled the screensaver and ran a diagnostic for a week. Didn't turn off. We summised, correctly, that the monitor had simply gone into standby/screen saver mode a few times.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Agrikk posted:

It is when you are using some lovely in-rack KVM with a half-busted trackball, or the local equivalent!

Not to mention remote sessinos where it only shows "logout" in the spot you're :smugdog: about

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 7, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

so a ticket came in.

One of the admin staff came in and asked me to prepare a document for them listing the features of BES 10 and how the management of devices differs between BES 10 and Exchange 2010.

Not a bit deal, but they need the info by Monday morning at the latest. Apparently they were told twenty minutes ago the directors meeting that was scheduled for next Friday afternoon was bumped to early Monday Afternoon.

Just draw a picture of a BES server hanging itself next to an old and busted Exchange 2010 server looking longingly at an Exchange 2013 server pumping iron, or something.

Are they really considering implementing BES10 or is this a migrate meeting?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

A brand new user decided she didn't want to walk all the way to the printer that is roughly 10 steps from her desk, so she went into the office of one of the partners who is away on vacation, took their printer and cables, and plugged it in at her desk.

Then she emailed me after hours telling me that her printer was broken and that she wasn't able to work and that I needed to fix it ASAP, cc'ing her manager and my boss.

Monday is going to be amazing.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

A brand new user decided she didn't want to walk all the way to the printer that is roughly 10 steps from her desk, so she went into the office of one of the partners who is away on vacation, took their printer and cables, and plugged it in at her desk.

Then she emailed me after hours telling me that her printer was broken and that she wasn't able to work and that I needed to fix it ASAP, cc'ing her manager and my boss.

Monday is going to be amazing.

You absolutely must capture this on video.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Agreed. We must be updated on this.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
I'm sad about never getting a genuine Do The Needful yet, unless you count a forwarded email from qualiteam support (they develop x-cart and are based in the Ukraine or something) telling me to run the attached SQL queries on our production database on the stores server.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

There's a company that does some over-the-phone support for us, and at the beginning of every call there a ~1 min blurb about how they want us to take a survey, then after the call another blurb about how we're about to get a survey, then two super short questions. The support people are always great, and I want to give them a high rating every time, but loving stop making me listen to all the other survey related garbage god drat it

:smith::hf::smith:

My company purchases a large amount of services from a certain telco. Their main enterprise tech support number is set up so that, at the beginning of every call, you have to sit and listen to a 45-60 second recording that encourages you to use their online ticketing system at <Subdomain>.<TelcoName>.com. Um... yes, I know about that site. I have an account on that site. I'm probably calling either to ask for clarification about one of the tickets on that site, or to explain something that I'd rather explain verbally than in text. :sigh:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm not replying until Monday morning, my boss already forwarded it to me with a "what".

If that thing isn't back in the partner's office before she starts on Monday, she's probably just getting walked out the door.

I kind of want to give her a job in IT because she has shown more initiative than almost anyone that has ever worked here.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Never try folks, it just gets you into trouble.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Crowley posted:

Holy loving shitballs! I'm so exited about this I'll probably be extremely disappointed when I get to test it.

I've put off implementing a new 720xd backup server for three months just so I didn't have to do a combined Veeam 6.5 / Backup Exec solution.

Also, they released Veeam Free, which looks like a perfect solution for small clients with no money for VM backup.

I'm looking forward to finally telling Symantec to get hosed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I'm not replying until Monday morning, my boss already forwarded it to me with a "what".

If that thing isn't back in the partner's office before she starts on Monday, she's probably just getting walked out the door.

I kind of want to give her a job in IT because she has shown more initiative than almost anyone that has ever worked here.

She'll just be told "this printer is for the partner to use" and you'll be scolded for having not put it back and having not had her set up with a printer.

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

incoherent posted:

Your loving devs are lazy as all hell.

This pattern of test servers becoming production is the green-blue pattern and is actually a great pattern. The idea is that you constantly deploy to test throughout preparing for a release, then clone the data out of production for the migration and switch the LB over to the previous test environment. You wait a few days in case of failures (failover is just changing the loadbalancer back to the previous cluster and syncing data).

Once deployed for a while you then reinstall all the previous production machines and they become the test boxes for the next set of deployments. This works best if you're doing major releases at least once a month so the set of machines constantly cycle. It makes it very easy to stage and release major architectural changes with a safety net.

Hell, it's even in the http://martinfowler.com/books/continuousDelivery.html book.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Its "Kindly do the needful" you must have some dicks sending it without the Kindly!

I love dealing with people in Japan or even some other eastern countries that you send them an engineering update... and they respond "please confirm" and we just forward a copy of the first email right back to them saying "confirmed". Assholes.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Volmarias posted:

She'll just be told "this printer is for the partner to use" and you'll be scolded for having not put it back and having not had her set up with a printer.

Nah, the parter that the printer belongs to is going to blow a gasket and my boss is going to laugh his face off.

Langolas posted:

Its "Kindly do the needful" you must have some dicks sending it without the Kindly!

I love dealing with people in Japan or even some other eastern countries that you send them an engineering update... and they respond "please confirm" and we just forward a copy of the first email right back to them saying "confirmed". Assholes.

You work with people in Japan who don't insist on using faxes for everything? Weird.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

You work with people in Japan who don't insist on using faxes for everything? Weird.

Yeah there is nothing like getting a trouble ticket for a server in Japan and having them fax you random log dumps because they will not let anyone access their system.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

We have a translation group that works directly with them. They won't even let us talk to them. I wonder if the translation guys have gotten faxes of logs... now I'm curious.

poo poo pissing me off, the french. gently caress you france. Don't tell me you did something and I remote in and see you didn't. And gently caress French Canadians. You know who you are.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Langolas posted:

We have a translation group that works directly with them. They won't even let us talk to them. I wonder if the translation guys have gotten faxes of logs... now I'm curious.

The vendor I worked for had employees in Japan, but due to culture, they represented the Japanese customer's interests more than our company. So you get things like opening tickets with scanned faxed logs asking us to diagnose an issue, when the logs had no relation to any problem. What I learned pretty quickly was that they were not looking for a fix or even someone to dive in and give a complete RCA, but rather someone with authority to just say, "we examined the provided information and we believe the problem is X, which should not happen again." Where X was whatever explanation our guy had already given them.

And of course all of this took place over multiple emails with imperfect translations, which led to things like the 'gently caress switch' story that I think I have told before.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
ahh, compuserve! 72307,3602
from the 80s.

MY dad was the first person I ever knew to buy something online, from the Compuserve Electronic Mall back in the mid 80s.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

SubjectVerbObject posted:

And of course all of this took place over multiple emails with imperfect translations, which led to things like the 'gently caress switch' story that I think I have told before.

No, I think I would remember a story about a gently caress switch.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

stubblyhead posted:

No, I think I would remember a story about a gently caress switch.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

The best ticket I ever saw needs a little explaining. The ticket itself was an escalation to a developer regarding an issue with switch hook flash not working a certain Japanese version of a Commercial phone switch. If you translate switch hook flash into Japanese, but use English characters (not sure what that is called) switch hook flash becomes switchero fukko.

The Japanese engineer who put in the ticket must have tried to translate back phonetically, because the ticket read:

gently caress switch not working.

And they were right!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Langolas posted:

And gently caress French Canadians. You know who you are.
:mad: Ben là!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

poo poo pissing me off today.

Chatting with a bunch of people on GTalk
Go to do something on youtube.. signed into the wrong google account. Not to worry I'll just sign out of youtube and sign in with my other account..

All my GTalk windows close.

gently caress you Google.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Lum posted:

poo poo pissing me off today.

Chatting with a bunch of people on GTalk
Go to do something on youtube.. signed into the wrong google account. Not to worry I'll just sign out of youtube and sign in with my other account..

All my GTalk windows close.

gently caress you Google.

It's why I still use an actual client, rather than just the webapps.
Now, if the devs could work on getting group chat up and running...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

New user: I need my mailbox limit bumped up, I can't do my job with only 1 gig.
Me: Sorry but company policy is 1 gig, no exceptions. Even the CEO only has a 1 gig mailbox.
New user: That's crazy. Let me talk to a few people because I'm important.
*crickets*

Happens a few times a year.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GreenNight posted:

New user: I need my mailbox limit bumped up, I can't do my job with only 1 gig.
Me: Sorry but company policy is 1 gig, no exceptions. Even the CEO only has a 1 gig mailbox.
New user: That's crazy. Let me talk to a few people because I'm important.
*crickets*

Happens a few times a year.

I have been at my job for over a year now and only used like 100 megs of space without deleting a single email. How is 1gig too little?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

I was on a conference call this afternoon and got cut off by Sarah McLachlan blasting out of the speaker. I said that it was like being on an award show when you talk too long and the band starts playing. No one would cop to being the culprit but after a minute or so it stopped.

From two pages back but chiming in to one-up you. Some departments in my company either have Radio Disney or sappy Disney tunes for the on-hold music. Nothing like "zippity-doo-dah" blasting through a conference call.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I have been at my job for over a year now and only used like 100 megs of space without deleting a single email. How is 1gig too little?

I wondered the same thing, but some people get hefty attachments I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Maybe if your job involves sending and receiving a variety of large files it'd make sense because you could fill up over the weekend.

Like a marketing person who sends and receives art and video back and forth as different people make revisions and suggestions.

And if you've got 8 projects at different stages going down the pipe, you can fill up a box quickly.

That said, they don't need to keep 100 versions of 3 year old projects in their archives.

• Locked thread