Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Darn good question!

There's nothing on their website or in the rulebook. After a trawl of the Star Fleet Battles website (not for the faint-hearted) I can produce the figure of 1:3125. This breaks most scale converters, but is roughly 0.1mm scale.

Would a "starships" scale category be an idea if we get a lot of these in future?

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Leperflesh posted:

I have twelve blisters to give away this year, only to goons who paint Corvus Belli. If we keep at this rate, it's almost a guaranteed prize! I'd love to see more of you painting these attractive figures!

Incentive to grab an Aleph something I'd been dicing over when I order some more bases and paints end of the month.

Also, where has this month gone? I haven't started yet...

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Leperflesh posted:

I know from your July oath that the Spartan Games stuff is 0.16mm scale, but what scale are the Mongoose Publishing ships?

It's 1/3125 scale.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
Gotta do this bonus style

Adding this Halbarand, Cleric from Reaper Bones

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

Darn good question!

There's nothing on their website or in the rulebook. After a trawl of the Star Fleet Battles website (not for the faint-hearted) I can produce the figure of 1:3125. This breaks most scale converters, but is roughly 0.1mm scale.

Would a "starships" scale category be an idea if we get a lot of these in future?

Thundercloud posted:

It's 1/3125 scale.

Ah, OK. I've been using this site for all of my scale conversions (so that I'm using a consistent method). And the reason I want to use decimal numbers only, is so that at the end of the year, it's easier to write a formula in the spreadsheet to find all entries that were under the 25mm standard. There's a prize associated with that. If I use words, or ratios, I think it gets a lot harder.

Anyway according to this converter, Star Fleet Battles is .5152 which rounds to .52mm scale.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Alright, folks! The first slideshow is up.

This one is JUST for people who completed oaths for 40K gaming last month, who are eligible for the Blood Angels Captain model that was donated to the thread. The list of eligible goons is:
Android
Bavius
Booley
Brock Samsonite
ChanceII
Cowoncrack
Dagon
Deanut Pancer
Direwolf
Dr. Gargunza
Dr. Red Ranger
Galaspar
Germ
Gomo
Haydrian
ijyt
indolent bastard
ineptmule
Irving Washington
JesusIsTehCool
Khadul
Lord Hypnostache
Matgash
mmtheblue
Monoliths
Namenlos
NTrabbit
Raphus C
Red Herring
Slimnoid
SRM
thiswayliesmadness
White Out Mouse
Zhent

These goons completed an oath in August that consisted of at least one model for 40K tabletop gaming.

Here's how this is going to work:
First of all, MANY huge thanks to goon Vondizimo for donating this Blood Angels Captain, a Games Day 2012 exclusive model!
1. Now just to be sure everyone is counted that should be counted, if you completed an oath that is specifically for the 40K tabletop game using, let me know if you're not on this list. Email me at krushgroove169 at gmail - include your username and the link with your completed oath.
2. Check out this online album. Everyone listed has one photo of each of their 40K oaths. Some people did 2 models/groups, so they have 2 pictures. I tried to pick the best photo (based on angle, lighting, focus, etc.), but only 1 photos is being used for this mini-competition.
3. I'll wait a couple of days for anyone to shout up, then post directions on how to vote! Everyone who is on the list gets to vote for what they think is the best 40K model done in August.

The judging slideshow will be done soon!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Leperflesh posted:

Anyway according to this converter, Star Fleet Battles is .5152 which rounds to .52mm scale.

That is a handy link! I have edited my original post to include this scale figure.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I want to make an oath this month but I've had half my painting station taken up by 30 orks I was supposed to re-yellow properly for a few months now and I think it's time I nipped that in the bud. Give me a chance to do those highlights I missed last month too and paint the rims on a few odd pieces that slipped through the cracks. Here's hoping I wrap it all up quick and make a real oath!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: I add to my September oath: 1 Galleon, 1 Talon, 3 Villagers. :siren:

The Galleon and Talon are Privateer Press, the villagers are Reaper.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Progress on my oath:

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
:siren: I Khadhul oath to paint one Tau Commander Farsight by Games Workshop for the month of September

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

I, Icon of Sin, oath to paint these 2 Games Workshop Space Marine bikers. They're the last of their Ravenwing squadron to get painted (only 24 more bikes to go, I have plenty to continue oathing month after month :suicide: )

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The 40K painter's prize slideshow is now available: https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/5920924710944512609?authkey=CL2Mvozy64bG2QE

This one is JUST for people who completed oaths for 40K gaming last month, who are eligible for the Blood Angels Captain model that was donated to the thread. The list of eligible goons is:
Android
Bavius
Booley
Brock Samsonite
ChanceII
Cowoncrack
Dagon
Deanut Pancer
Direwolf
Dr. Gargunza
Dr. Red Ranger
Galaspar
Germ
Gomo
Haydrian
ijyt
indolent bastard
ineptmule
Irving Washington
JesusIsTehCool
Khadul
Lord Hypnostache
Matgash
mmtheblue
Monoliths
Namenlos
NTrabbit
Raphus C
Red Herring
Slimnoid
SRM
thiswayliesmadness
White Out Mouse
Zhent

These goons completed an oath in August that consisted of at least one model for 40K tabletop gaming.

Here's how we're going to pick a winner:
1. Anyone whose name is listed above can vote for the model they think is best out of the 40K slideshow link at the top of this post.
2. Make a separate post in THIS thread (don't tack it onto a picture post), with 40K VOTE in your post (be sure to use the [b] tags). Add in the username of the person you think painted the best model (by whatever judgement protocols you choose to use).
3. Be sure to use SPOILER TAGS so we can maintain a sense of mystery! That means put [ spoiler ] at the start of your choice, and [ /spoiler ] at the end of your choice's name (without spaces). This will make your vote look like this: krushgroove
4. You can't vote for your own model.
5. Because not everyone has PMs this is the only way we can make this a fair and open vote. I'll make sure only the people on this list are doing the voting. Leperflesh and I will keep separate counts of the votes and in 1 week's time I'll announce the winner!
6. That should be pretty clear, so get voting!

Again, MANY huge thanks to goon Vondizimo for donating this Blood Angels Captain, a Games Day 2012 exclusive model!

If *anyone* wants to contribute a similar (hard to find, out of print, limited edition or similarly special) model for any game that is semi-popular (purely so we get a number of people interested), get in touch with me by PM or krushgroove169 at gmail and we can set up something similar :)

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 8, 2013

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I Counterspin, oath for September 4 Kayazy Assassins and Sylys Wyshnalyrr. They're from Warmachine, and are 28mm models.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Kickin off this 40K VOTE.

Slimnoid, that librarian is very tasty indeed.

Monoliths fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 8, 2013

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
40K VOTE: So many good entries in that list. I'm going to go base my judgement on my favourite use of the Jurnal theme, so I nominate... Irving Washington
(Nice idea to let the entrants pick the winner from amongst themselves, whoever suggested that)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
40K Vote!

Lots of impressive contenders this month, but I really dig Monoliths' ridiculous Orkmobile.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I'm gonna vote for Slimnoid because his oath is pretty and I think he find use for the prize model.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
40k Vote!
I'm voting for Brock Samsonite and his Wave Serpent. There are some really cool paintjobs in there, but that oath is really attention grabbing.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I can't vote, so this isnt one - but looking at that gallery has reminded me his cool Irving Washingtons dead terminator looks.

Those webs. Daaaamn.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks for getting those votes in!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint (1) Janan, Female Dragon Slayer for the month of September! From the Reaper Bones series, 28mm.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I, Lord Hypnostache, oath to paint 5 Lychguard, Cryptek, Illuminor Szeras and 3 Maneaters in the month of September by GW (28mm)

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I, Dr. Red Ranger, oath for the month of September one Chaos Space Marine Aspiring Champion and one Chaos Lord, both by Games Workshop.

Bucnasti posted:

I Bucnasti, Oath these six Games Workshop Ork Boyz in 28mm, may god have mercy on my soul.

Korwen posted:

And with that, it's time to get back on the horse.

I Korwen oath these 12 Privateer Press Praetorian Swordsmen with Unit Attachment and Agonizer solo

Slimnoid posted:

I, Slimnoid, Oath to paint the following: 1 Terminator Librarian and 2 Chaplains (GW, 28mm); 1 Lord Exhumator Scaverous (28mm, Privateer Press); and 1 Lilith and 3 Terror Tots (Wyrd Games, 28mm)

Loxbourne posted:

Let's try this again...

I, Loxbourne, hereby oath to paint one Mongoose Publishing ACTA:SF Klingon Starter Box, and 32 Spartan Games Prussian Empire Tiny Flyer Tokens.

Imazul posted:

Gotta do this bonus style

Adding this Halbarand, Cleric from Reaper Bones

Red Shoe posted:

:siren: I add to my September oath: 1 Galleon, 1 Talon, 3 Villagers. :siren:

The Galleon and Talon are Privateer Press, the villagers are Reaper.

Khadhul posted:

:siren: I Khadhul oath to paint one Tau Commander Farsight by Games Workshop for the month of September

ACCEPTED, sorry for the wait.

Loxbourne posted:

If we had a few guys posting oaths, sure. Actually there are a couple of SFB miniatures in the Grab Bag prize box (see the OP), so there's a chance anyone can win those (I try to get the Grab Bag winners prizes appropriate to games/systems they play - so far no one has shown any interest in the starships!).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I, Pierzak, oath the following minis for September:

2 Slave Drones (Corvus Belli, Infinity, 28mm)
Descent minis (Fantasy Flight Games, 28mm): 6 beastmen, 3 master beastmen, 6 skeletons, 3 master skeletons, 10 heroes.

4 heroes are primed white, everything else is bare plastic.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I, Zhent, oath one Games Workshop Warhammer 40,000 Overpriced Librarian

Primed whiteish, head on pole for painting ease. Nevermind the blue spot.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

40K VOTE: ____Irving Washington____

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

Did you do this month's Detektuv's Jurnal?

krushgroove posted:

ACCEPTED, sorry for the wait.

I'm missing approvals for: Harkano, counterspin, Babe Magnet, and just now we have Pierzak and Zhent

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Did you do this month's Detektuv's Jurnal?

I'm missing approvals for: Harkano, counterspin, Babe Magnet, and just now we have Pierzak and Zhent

All my guys get washed in nuln oil regardless, it makes them look a bit weathered. I wasn't really thinking about it though, I just jumped back into the oath thread because I won something here :v: If that works for the Jurnal, I'll go edit it in. Otherwise I'm not terribly worried about it.

e: weathering isn't this month's Jurnal, nevermind :downs:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 9, 2013

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zhent posted:

I, Zhent, oath one Games Workshop Warhammer 40,000 Overpriced Librarian
Where's lil' baby stabbums? :ohdear:

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
40K Vote! I'm gonna hafta vote for _____Booley_____.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I, Drgnvale, oath that I will paint this Plastic Space Marine Librarian, without the space baby (I've got plans for him (I don't have plans for him :smith:))

Gomo
Mar 26, 2012
40K VOTE : ____Irving Washington____

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
40K VOTE: ____Slimnoid___________

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
40K VOTE: Slimnoid

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
40K VOTE: Red Herring - that farseer/alien witch is awesome!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

All my guys get washed in nuln oil regardless, it makes them look a bit weathered. I wasn't really thinking about it though, I just jumped back into the oath thread because I won something here :v: If that works for the Jurnal, I'll go edit it in. Otherwise I'm not terribly worried about it.

e: weathering isn't this month's Jurnal, nevermind :downs:

Yeah, this month's Jurnal is freehand, but if you don't want to do freehand (for 2 points) you can pick any previous month's Jurnal theme and do that for 1 point instead.

But yeah, just washing something in nuln oil isn't enough to qualify for weathering (almost everyone uses washes just for shading anyway).

This is all optional of course, if you don't care about squeezing out every point you can, don't worry about it! :)

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
40k VOTE: Dr. Red Ranger

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
40K Vote: Indolent Bastard because that weathering is beautifully done

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
...and double-posting to add

I'm IrvingWashington and I oath this bitz-bashed Genestealer from Games Workshop (28mm) for September

(I'm taking advantage of current hospital madness to work on some guys from my cobbled-together version of Space Hulk, so this guy is my counts-as-Broodlord. Hopefully I can think of something nice to do with the freehand challenge...)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
:siren: I, Karnegal, oath to paint two Blighted Nyss Shepherd and one Warspear Chieftain by Privateer Press for the month of September

Awwww, it's a baby!

Sorry for 2 images, I didn't have anything handy that I could stand all 3 guys on. Stupid warspear is a big bastard.

Primed black.

I'll figure out how to use my wife's camera properly before I complete this :(

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sorry I missed these for various reasons!

Babe Magnet posted:

I, Babe Magnet, oath to paint this conversion, a mish-mash of Games Workshop Blood Angels/Dark Angels/Grey Knight/Space Marines (and Max-Mini Shoulder Pads), for September.

You did your speed painting and I forgot to check if I'd done your approval - you're OK though.

counterspin posted:

I Counterspin, oath for September 4 Kayazy Assassins and Sylys Wyshnalyrr. They're from Warmachine, and are 28mm models.

This one I just totally missed.

Ledgem posted:

OATHING: From Privateer press Hordes line, Two Blighted Nyss Legionaires, The BlackFrost Shard, Bayal Hound of Everblight and Vayl, Disciple of Everblight.

I'd meant to say something about the out-of-focus view of the timestamp, then got sidetracked with other stuff, but it is actually *just* readable, so you're OK. Just try a bit harder to get it in focus next time :)

All of these are/were ACCEPTED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
40K VOTE: BROCK SAMSONITE, for having the balls to paint a unique way, and the skills to pull it off.

• Locked thread