Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

BXCX posted:

Are there any TFs that are Canadian exclusive/easier to get up north (like the Prime first editions) at the moment? I have a Canadian friend who owes me a favor for shipping American stuff up to her.

Nothing right now, the exchange fees and shipping costs are also going to be a barrier to imports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Super 3 posted:

All of the MTMTE trades purchased off recommendations here. In hindsight I should have bought the first one and then if I liked it got the rest, but this is as close as I get to living dangerously.

Get Last Stand of the Wreckers and read it first!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

BXCX posted:

Are there any TFs that are Canadian exclusive/easier to get up north (like the Prime first editions) at the moment? I have a Canadian friend who owes me a favor for shipping American stuff up to her.

Exclusive to Canada are the same Generations figures, minus the pack-in comics and unique cardbacks, and a Metroplex who doesn't have any voice clips because Quebec, oui oui.

Not very good exclusives if you ask me.

On a totally unrelated note, TFCC Circuit has a pretty sweet looking car mode with awesome paint apps, but his robot mode is sort of an unholy abomination. I transformed him into robot mode once, turned him right back into a car, and that is how he shall remain forever.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Because he's a robot so he can have a interesting and unique silhouette instead of G1's "Man made of cardboard boxes #101"?

Man, I've never seen it summed up so well.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

On a totally unrelated note, TFCC Circuit has a pretty sweet looking car mode with awesome paint apps, but his robot mode is sort of an unholy abomination. I transformed him into robot mode once, turned him right back into a car, and that is how he shall remain forever.
His head is terrifying, like some giant bug. Overall he reminds me of the prawns from District 9.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is that the Axor remold? Because Axor kicks rear end. Not as awesome as Lockdown, but very near.

VVV Ya, I just saw the photo review at TFW. Real sloppy paint apps, but the figure does look neat in a very garish, freaky way VVV

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 7, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Is that the Axor remold? Because Axor kicks rear end. Not as awesome as Lockdown, but very near.

He's a repaint of Axor, who is a remold of ROTF Lockdown. He actually has some nice paint apps in car mode, but as a robot he looks like a fuckin' killer clown from outer space.

Well, either that or a Chinese bootleg. Yeah, he looks a lot like a knockoff from big lots. The pain app for mine's "goatee" is off by a couple millimeters and helps sell that KO look.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

TheDK posted:

So I was near a TRU at lunch and snagged a Platinum/Weaponizer Ultra Magnus! He is pretty beastly. I like the bright colors and his massive size, he's as big as my Masterpiece bots!

The hammer is kind of weak... I don't like how it has separate handles rather than him just being able to hold it like I would expect a sledgehammer to be held. Though if you angle the hammer the right way you can disguise it somewhat.

Also, does anyone know where I can store his blaster in bot mode? I only fiddled with it for a few minutes but couldn't find a place on his back or leg or somewhere discrete to stick the blaster. It can sort of fit on his shoulder/pauldron things but looks goofy.

Terrible cell phone pic for size comparison:

I saw this at my TRU and passed. The box was falling apart and Magnus looked kind of flimsy and under-detailed overall - like yet another blown-up version of a smaller toy. How does he feel out of the box?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

funtax posted:

I saw this at my TRU and passed. The box was falling apart and Magnus looked kind of flimsy and under-detailed overall - like yet another blown-up version of a smaller toy. How does he feel out of the box?

Thats the best looking Magnus of the lot, to me anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The TRU in Baton Rouge had a bunch of them shelf-warming the entire time I was there. For a super-amazing platinum grade collectible, the unpainted white plastic guns are very poor.

In other news, I opened MP Soundwave. He is everything I could want! I've only nearly lost his pointing finger twice!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Okay, so I'm not having a lot of luck using the TFWiki or Wikipedia on getting the answer to this: What was the difference, conceptually, between Abominus and Monstructor?

Like, to me, they both seem just like combiners made from monster-type beasty transformers. And if that's so, I'm wondering why there were two.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Abominus was a Scramble City-style combiner (1 big body, 4 interchangeable limbs). Monstructor was a smaller, unique TF made of six Pretender robots.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

When I first heard the name, I thought "Monstructor" was composed of monstrous construction vehicles. :(

edit: hahaha TFW2005, what the hell

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 7, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Monstructor completely ruled and I wish I could get him without paying both my arms for it.

Abominus is a boring scramble city POS.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Captain Invictus posted:

Monstructor completely ruled and I wish I could get him without paying both my arms for it.

Abominus is a boring scramble city POS.

Abominus is meh but the Terrorcons individually are suberb. Hungrrr is the best SC team leader toy there is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well yeah, I was more talking about the combined form. Hun-Grr and Blot are both great. The rest are pretty awful though. The Monstructor guys ruled, my favorite shell was Birdbrain and my favorite robot was Slog.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Really, the tiny microscopic Pretender Monsters ruled? I wish I'd bought them at the time because they're obscenely valuable now, but I always passed them up because they were so completely loving terrible. Hell, the only reason they're valuable now is because two of them break if you look at them funny due to Gold Plastic Syndrome and all the shells have a tendency to decay into goo.

I'd probably buy a reissue, just because they're the only Decepticon combiner team I don't have, but better than Abominus? Not for one second. Just Hun-Grrr alone puts the Terrorcons over the top. Is Monstructor himself even taller than Hun-Grrr?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Monstructor is in fact shorter than a Micromaster 6-man combiner according to tfwiki, so probably not.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The_Doctor posted:

The TRU in Baton Rouge had a bunch of them shelf-warming the entire time I was there. For a super-amazing platinum grade collectible, the unpainted white plastic guns are very poor.

In other news, I opened MP Soundwave. He is everything I could want! I've only nearly lost his pointing finger twice!

I keep looking at Lazerbeak the way a 19th century fellow might when presented with a Ferrari Testarossa. It's bloody witchcraft is what it is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sentinel Red posted:

I keep looking at Lazerbeak the way a 19th century fellow might when presented with a Ferrari Testarossa. It's bloody witchcraft is what it is.

I know! It's bloody amazing! Clearly Takara employs witches.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Up until now, I though Monstructor was made up for IDW. Then again, the Autobot Pretenders were what made me give up toys as a kid.

Seriously, who the gently caress did they think they were fooling? You are giant human beings! Those do not exist!

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

Steve Vader posted:

Up until now, I though Monstructor was made up for IDW. Then again, the Autobot Pretenders were what made me give up toys as a kid.

Seriously, who the gently caress did they think they were fooling? You are giant human beings! Those do not exist!

Poor Big Show.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Keldroc posted:

Really, the tiny microscopic Pretender Monsters ruled? I wish I'd bought them at the time because they're obscenely valuable now, but I always passed them up because they were so completely loving terrible. Hell, the only reason they're valuable now is because two of them break if you look at them funny due to Gold Plastic Syndrome and all the shells have a tendency to decay into goo.

I'd probably buy a reissue, just because they're the only Decepticon combiner team I don't have, but better than Abominus? Not for one second. Just Hun-Grrr alone puts the Terrorcons over the top. Is Monstructor himself even taller than Hun-Grrr?

I liked it BECAUSE it was a small six-man combiner that wasn't scramble city. It's alright, Keldroc, some folks have different opinions.

I would totally love a Monstructor remake, if it was this:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Veg posted:

Thats the best looking Magnus of the lot, to me anyway.

I quite like the Fall of Cybertron Magnus. I have the original Optimus Prime, so it doesn't really bother me that he's basically a remold of an unnecessary second figure.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 8, 2013

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009
Are you all serious? There is clearly only one right opinion here and that is; Whoever has Bristleback is the best. Monstructor. Boom, there ya go. Bristleback doesn't even need those other chumps. What he does need is a classics figure.

In other news, would it be alright to list the 50 or so TFs I have for sale here?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

Are you all serious? There is clearly only one right opinion here and that is; Whoever has Bristleback is the best. Monstructor. Boom, there ya go. Bristleback doesn't even need those other chumps. What he does need is a classics figure.

In other news, would it be alright to list the 50 or so TFs I have for sale here?

Make a post in SA Mart, include pictures

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Captain Invictus posted:

I liked it BECAUSE it was a small six-man combiner that wasn't scramble city. It's alright, Keldroc, some folks have different opinions.

No poo poo. And some opinions are going to be disagreed with heartily. Just assume there's an invisible "IMO" after everything I say if it makes it easier for you.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Blackheart posted:

When I first heard the name, I thought "Monstructor" was composed of monstrous construction vehicles. :(

edit: hahaha TFW2005, what the hell

You have no idea how happy it makes me feel to know that Peter Cullen doesn't like Bronies. I think you just made my month.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Speaking of G1 combiners I got my Predaking reissue from Hasbro Toy Shop today. gently caress stickers, especially the tiny gold ones on Divebomb's wings and Razorclaw's mane. I never had any of the Predacons as a kid, some of these guys have serious G1 proportions going on. Razorclaw's stubby arms are particularly hilarious.

Anyway, is there some trick I'm missing with putting on Predaking's fists? It doesn't feel right forcing them in between the arm bots' legs, it feels like their legs are going to snap.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Wow, so many responses. Thanks!

I guess my question was more like, how are Abominus and Monstructor different by identification? Like, Devastator is the construction vehicle combiner. Bruticus is the (mostly) WWII vehicle combiner. Defensor is the rescue vehicle combiner.

Abominus and Monstructor both seem like the exact same thing--monster beasty robot combiners. Is that correct? And if so, why two of them?

Edit: like the obvious answer is to sell toys, but why not two Bruticuses? (Brutici?) or any other kind of combiner for that matter

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 8, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I've seen a Monstructor in person a few times, never handled one though due to gold plastic. He's... tiny. Each combiner part is literally Micromaster sized, much smaller than even your average small Pretender. Combined I think he's like a deluxe? Basically the appeal behind Monstructor isn't Monstructor himself, but the fact that he has these neat soft plastic Pretender shells.

You know, I used to poo poo on Abominus a lot. Remember when I poo poo on him and said the terrorcons looked like they were happy meal toys? Now that I have one, I don't think they're so bad. Hun-Grrr is really good. Abominus is okay. He's far from the best combiner, but he's cooler than Superion at least. His archenemy Computron kind of loving destroys him in the coolness category, though. Computron is like the one cool Autobot combiner and is up there with Bruticus, Devastator, Menasor and Predaking.

Okay well, I kinda like Defensor too, but I think I'm the only one.

Keldroc posted:

No poo poo. And some opinions are going to be disagreed with heartily. Just assume there's an invisible "IMO" after everything I say if it makes it easier for you.

:sigh: Why are you such a dick, man? Jeez, take a chill pill, dude. Just talking 'bout robots.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Monstructor turns into monsters because by the end of G1 all the Decepticons turned into monsters. Check out 1988, it's almost Beast Wars. There's a few Targetmaster and Powermaster vehicles hanging around, mostly left over from earlier years, but everything else is monsters or animals.

Monstructor was the last G1 combiner, the only combiner of his year, and that year was entirely Pretenders and Micromasters (and Powermaster Optimus Prime). The Decepticons were starting to get some vehicle alt modes back, but Decepticons turning into animals or monsters was still the rule of the day.

The real reason is it's a lot cheaper and easier to design a figure that folds up into a weird lump and call it a monster than it is to design one that actually turns into something, and Transformers was virtually dead at that point. There were two monster combiners because by that point in the line no one at Hasbro gave a poo poo.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Don't forget the Transformers monsters that shot sparks, because kids love sparks :v:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Knormal posted:

Monstructor turns into monsters because by the end of G1 all the Decepticons turned into monsters. Check out 1988, it's almost Beast Wars. There's a few Targetmaster and Powermaster vehicles hanging around, mostly left over from earlier years, but everything else is monsters or animals.

Monstructor was the last G1 combiner, the only combiner of his year, and that year was entirely Pretenders and Micromasters (and Powermaster Optimus Prime). The Decepticons were starting to get some vehicle alt modes back, but Decepticons turning into animals or monsters was still the rule of the day.

The real reason is it's a lot cheaper and easier to design a figure that folds up into a weird lump and call it a monster than it is to design one that actually turns into something, and Transformers was virtually dead at that point. There were two monster combiners because by that point in the line no one at Hasbro gave a poo poo.

This is an excellent and thorough answer but what I got out of it more than anything else is that there was a Decepticon named Squeezeplay.

Squeezeplay you guys

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Captain Magic posted:

This is an excellent and thorough answer but what I got out of it more than anything else is that there was a Decepticon named Squeezeplay.

Squeezeplay you guys

I had him, might still be in a box here. My only Headmaster, and a Headmaster Jr, so I still imagine the full size ones to be a lot better. His monster mode legs are completely static and just stick out of the robot's back.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

funtax posted:

He feels really solid. The arm and leg ratchets seem pretty tough. The hammer kind of feels like crappy light plastic but the paint on it is pretty sharp and if you angle it such that the handles are somewhat hidden (as I mentioned previously) it is a neat accessory.

The white sections are more noticeable after staring at him for a while. I think I would prefer if they were a light silver rather than the intense white, especially on his face. The white feet look like sketchers to me now.

The head is nice and big. Somehow the beast hunters voyager Ultra Magnus head is smaller than the RID Ultra Magnus... (at least it seemed that way in the box - I don't own it). Light piping would be a nice addition. The head could be improved but still represents the character well.

Lastly, this guy is almost too big. He doesn't really look right next to my other Prime toys except for FE Bulkhead and no one else. As you see in my terrible pic, he's as big as a freaking MP. I guess part of his size is due to the weaponizer gimmick, which is actually disguised fairly well. However, I'm not about to go out and buy the other weaponizers just so he can have some freakishly large friends to hang out with, so he's just going to be the elephant on the shelf for the time being. I have no plans to pick up Predaking or Strong Guy Optimus but he would fit nicely next to them, I suppose.

As mentioned by The_Doctor, the gun is crap and unpainted and lazy. This is also overshadowed by the huge hammer he lugs around.

I do like him and I would recommend it if:
  • you don't have an Ultra Magnus and you like Prime
  • you have the RID Ultra Magnus (what a letdown)
  • you like big robots, especially one with a big hammer
  • you don't mind the gimmick (or spending $60 on him)

If I was into doing customs I would redo some of the white with a bright silver paint. A reprolabel set might do a lot if they make one for him.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

I like defensor too! But on the other hand i used to think Computron was the single most boring and forgettable combiner ever made. I've changed my mind since then. It's still weird how one of his combiner feet don't line up well, but it kinda looks like he's taking a step forward.

edit: heh, these bios are pretty cool:

quote:

Rhinox

Rhinox is rare among robots. He has a brilliant scientific mind, as well as a deep philosophical curiosity about the nature of the universe around him. He is astoundingly strong – able to hold his own against even the most powerful opponents. He is friendly, good-natured and charismatic, with a fine strategic mind that would make him an ideal leader for the Maximals forces if they didn't already have one. What's more, he carries one of the most powerful weapons of any Maximals in the form of the twin Gatling Guns of Doom, which pump out a Predacon-shredding storm of hot lead. This is one Predacon-pounding warrior who's got the weaponry to whoop up on anyone!

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 9, 2013

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Gammatron 64 posted:

I like Defensor! I kind of want a third party to take a crack at it, but... there's that whole "I have a motorcycle for a leg, and a car for the other" deal that seems hard to get by unless ignoring scale...

Maybe if they made two motorcycles that formed Groove instead of just one?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

"gently caress scale" was, and will always be, the answer to every combiner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Nilryna posted:

I like Defensor! I kind of want a third party to take a crack at it, but... there's that whole "I have a motorcycle for a leg, and a car for the other" deal that seems hard to get by unless ignoring scale...

Maybe if they made two motorcycles that formed Groove instead of just one?

Scale didn't seem to be an issue when Fansproject made a space shuttle the same size as a jeep.