Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
There a goon group for this game? If there is could someone add it to the OP? I would like to jump around with some pals playing as an English Mr. Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rhonne posted:

One thing that bugged me about the ending of SRTT is that last choice you had to make. Why couldn't I just send Pierce and Oleg to go help Angel kill Killbane while I save the girls? I'm pretty sure between the three of them they could of handled it.

It's possible that did happen since a homie conversation between Shaundi and Roddy Pipper has them talking about Killbane, with Roddy expressing interest in getting back at him, but Shaundi says he dead now. Unless she just saying that since the Earth blew up, I think he did get killed off trying to leave or very shortly after 3.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
If I had to voice one major critique with this game, it's a lack of a sense of discovery. The sense of discovery is something I think is very important in open-world games, and one of the big things SR4 is missing.

Basically everything you can do in the world is explicitly highlighted, sometimes in more ways than one. The minimap, the sidemissions, the challenges and the achievements all push you to systematically experience all the game has to offer, with pretty much anything of remote interest appearing as an icon on your minimap the moment you get close. While this serves its purpose quite well, it does mean there's not much self-discovery, nor much to be gained from simply poking around the world on your own.

This is perhaps one area where Grand Theft Auto games have the SR franchise beat. GTA games always fill their worlds with tons of things to discover, from minigames hidden in arcade cabinets to secret easter egg areas to entire sidemissions you'd never see unless you climbed into the right vehicle in the right place. The developers are willing to risk that you might miss some of the content because the thrill when you discover that stuff organically is so powerful.

You know that hidden easter egg room in Let's Pretend? This game should have been full of stuff like that. I want more little secret side doors that take you to special rooms if you do just the right thing to open them, coves hidden along the coastline and secret islands way out in the ocean. To me, that kind of thing is what vital to an awesome open world. There's just not enough in SRIV, and I consider it one of the biggest weaknesses in an otherwise completely stellar game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rocketlex posted:

If I had to voice one major critique with this game, it's a lack of a sense of discovery. The sense of discovery is something I think is very important in open-world games, and one of the big things SR4 is missing.

Basically everything you can do in the world is explicitly highlighted, sometimes in more ways than one. The minimap, the sidemissions, the challenges and the achievements all push you to systematically experience all the game has to offer, with pretty much anything of remote interest appearing as an icon on your minimap the moment you get close. While this serves its purpose quite well, it does mean there's not much self-discovery, nor much to be gained from simply poking around the world on your own.

This is perhaps one area where Grand Theft Auto games have the SR franchise beat. GTA games always fill their worlds with tons of things to discover, from minigames hidden in arcade cabinets to secret easter egg areas to entire sidemissions you'd never see unless you climbed into the right vehicle in the right place. The developers are willing to risk that you might miss some of the content because the thrill when you discover that stuff organically is so powerful.

You know that hidden easter egg room in Let's Pretend? This game should have been full of stuff like that. I want more little secret side doors that take you to special rooms if you do just the right thing to open them, coves hidden along the coastline and secret islands way out in the ocean. To me, that kind of thing is what vital to an awesome open world. There's just not enough in SRIV, and I consider it one of the biggest weaknesses in an otherwise completely stellar game.
It's pretty much the same deal with SR3 I think. Steelport just isn't an interestingly designed place in any way, including that way.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I don't know how, but my Boss' voice pitch got set to -1. I can't reset it to zero since the pitch slider only moves in increments of ten. I'd really like it back to normal because even with a slight modifier, the pitch filter makes the speech sound tinny. Any ideas how to fix this?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Howard Beale posted:

I don't know how, but my Boss' voice pitch got set to -1. I can't reset it to zero since the pitch slider only moves in increments of ten. I'd really like it back to normal because even with a slight modifier, the pitch filter makes the speech sound tinny. Any ideas how to fix this?

If you move it all the way to +100 or -100, could you not then slide it back to 0 in those increments of 10?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Howard Beale posted:

I fixed this by reducing it to the lowest which set it at -100 then you can just increase by 10 until you hit zero.

Edit ^^^^ What he said

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Any idea what is in the Cheat DLC for 360? Do they affect saving and achievements? I beat the game already and would like to try out some of the other voices but finding all clusters and grinding money to upgrade guns doesn't appeal to me a second time. This game really needs a New Game +.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Vargs posted:

If you move it all the way to +100 or -100, could you not then slide it back to 0 in those increments of 10?

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BobKnob posted:

Any idea what is in the Cheat DLC for 360? Do they affect saving and achievements? I beat the game already and would like to try out some of the other voices but finding all clusters and grinding money to upgrade guns doesn't appeal to me a second time. This game really needs a New Game +.

I'd bet New Game + is a much easier mod than replaying missions, which is being worked on right now.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Rocketlex posted:

This came up in IdolNinja's review of the game. He actually brought up all the cool stuff you could do and find in Stilwater in SR2 and the response he got from one the guys working on the game was "yeah but most people might not find that stuff so why bother putting in the effort to create stuff that people might not find or use". That's a mindset that strikes me as incredibly stupid to have in an open world sandbox game and in fact completely defeats the entire purpose of having an open world sandbox.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I think I'm at the end of the game, just unlocked Super Keith. Without being too specific, are there any more big surprises in store? I felt the cameo was a little weak compared to the out of left field appearance in The Third, but I'm hardly upset with all the awesome poo poo I've been through. Gat Time Fun Time! "What the gently caress is a Genkibowl?"

Ahahaha, oh you've still got a lot of treats left. :allears:

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

deadly_pudding posted:

:allears:

My girlfriend's drag queen boss has been rocking Nolan North. I'm gonna suggest she try going Southern Belle, pitched down a ton.

Forever ago, but this is exactly what I did and it is hilarrrrious.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Ahahaha, oh you've still got a lot of treats left. :allears:

Great! The silence up til you posted had me concerned, which is strange because this is the best game I've played since I got Super Mario World as a child. All the SR fanservice is just icing on the cake, this game is incredibly fun.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Suben posted:

This came up in IdolNinja's review of the game. He actually brought up all the cool stuff you could do and find in Stilwater in SR2 and the response he got from one the guys working on the game was "yeah but most people might not find that stuff so why bother putting in the effort to create stuff that people might not find or use". That's a mindset that strikes me as incredibly stupid to have in an open world sandbox game and in fact completely defeats the entire purpose of having an open world sandbox.

Also, people will find it. People will find everything. Every single easter egg and hidden element eventually gets mined out of games like these.

I think what he means is "What's the point of putting something in if reviewers might miss it?" which is even worse.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Which would make sense considering how would they get data on who explored and didnt? There wasn't an achievement for exploring all of Stilwater if I recall.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
One way to get players to explore these days is just cheap out and put in a loving achievement for it.

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

I DO NOT EAT HUMAN FOOD; I ONLY EAT
PINE CONES
James May reporting for amphibious assault duty.

Of course Richard and Jeremy set his radio to Mad Decent and glued the knobs.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Shindragon posted:

Which would make sense considering how would they get data on who explored and didnt? There wasn't an achievement for exploring all of Stilwater if I recall.

Put volume triggers in hidden areas and have a progress bar pop up whenever you find one, like how they show distance travelled or enemies killed achievements.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
This was my first Saints Row game, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. So much so that I'm thinking about buying the third game and giving it a shot. Is that a bad idea? I know that most of the key story parts from previous games have shown up in the fourth game, but is the third game the same kind of fun as the fourth is? (From the discussion here, I gather that the second game is more about being a criminal psychopath, and I'd much rather stay in the puckish rogue area.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr Tastee posted:

Second, since the Boss can't fly, but can jump hella high, I'm thinking of playing as Wonderella next run.

That is a great idea. If you manage to get a decent Wonderella costume, post it.

Rhonne posted:

I think the only reason it took place in Steelport was because it was expanded from DLC.

This is still not true. It has never been true. Volition were working on both SR4 and Enter the Dominatrix (which was a standalone expansion, not merely DLC like Gangstas in Space) at the same time, but then ETD was abandoned and some of its content was rolled into SR4.

ShadowMar posted:

Pretty much, the only exception is the non-canon ending which is considerably darker and more like Saints Row 2 than the rest of the game.

Darker? maybe. More like SR2? No.

Rocketlex posted:

Also, people will find it. People will find everything. Every single easter egg and hidden element eventually gets mined out of games like these.

I think what he means is "What's the point of putting something in if reviewers might miss it?" which is even worse.

Pretty sure it's more about how many players will see it. Most players never find all that stuff, it's really a small minority. Even though I've played through SR2 four or five times now I haven't seen most of the hidden stuff in it.

prefect posted:

This was my first Saints Row game, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. So much so that I'm thinking about buying the third game and giving it a shot. Is that a bad idea?

If you wait till it's on sale it'll only be $5 or so, so it's not much of a risk. If you're lucky it might even be in the Humble Bundle again and you could get it for $1.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

prefect posted:

This was my first Saints Row game, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. So much so that I'm thinking about buying the third game and giving it a shot. Is that a bad idea? I know that most of the key story parts from previous games have shown up in the fourth game, but is the third game the same kind of fun as the fourth is? (From the discussion here, I gather that the second game is more about being a criminal psychopath, and I'd much rather stay in the puckish rogue area.)

It was my first Saints' Row game and it was great. It introduces Kinzie and Matt as well as a couple of other characters mentioned in cutscenes. You'll definitely love Nightblayde more and the Professor Genki minigames are a lot more fun in 3.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I've been ignoring this thread, first because I wasn't interested in a repeat of the things I didn't like in SRTT, then after I relented and got it, because I wanted to avoid spoilers. God drat what an awesome game. I'm so glad I got this, it has redeemed Saints Row for me. I think Shaundi's loyalty mission defines what makes this game so amazing. The whole thing feels like a re-examination of everything the Saints Row franchise has been over the years, and what it might become in the future.

I'm back on board, glad I still have my tag. :) I don't even care if they decide to ditch or tone down the super power stuff to balance a future game, I'll be getting it.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Wow, I get to the very end of the final mission and I get the stupid "Boss starts to tear out one of the generators by holding E then stops randomly for no reason" bug that I can't fix unless I restart the game. So 35 minutes or so completely wasted because the game screws me over.

Anyone encountered this bug at all? Any fixes? This really frustrates me =/

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I finally completed the "Distance Traveled in Alien Vehicles" challenge, completing my quest to 100% the game. When I looked at the challenge menu, it now said that I had 2147483647 challenges to complete. At first, I thought this was some sort of Easter egg since it's the right length for a phone number. But when I looked up the phone number, I found that it's a very common number

Wikipedia posted:

The number 2,147,483,647 is also the maximum value for a 32-bit signed integer in computing. It is therefore the maximum value for variables declared as int in many programming languages running on popular computers, and the maximum possible score, money etc. for many video games. The appearance of the number often reflects an error, overflow condition, or missing value.

FartGhost
Mar 7, 2013

Dragongem posted:

Wow, I get to the very end of the final mission and I get the stupid "Boss starts to tear out one of the generators by holding E then stops randomly for no reason" bug that I can't fix unless I restart the game. So 35 minutes or so completely wasted because the game screws me over.

Anyone encountered this bug at all? Any fixes? This really frustrates me =/

This happens because your framerate is too low, just lower your resolution.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Others touched on this, but it really does feel like there's not as much in the game as in SR3. There was so many little side poo poo you could do in SR3 that just aren't there in IV. Plus the lack of diversity in bad guys and the way it always resolves the same with the Wardens makes going on rampages kind of dull.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Zorak posted:

Others touched on this, but it really does feel like there's not as much in the game as in SR3. There was so many little side poo poo you could do in SR3 that just aren't there in IV. Plus the lack of diversity in bad guys and the way it always resolves the same with the Wardens makes going on rampages kind of dull.

I think pound-for-pound this game has a fair bit more content than SR3, it's just determined to lead you by the nose through absolutely all of it rather than let you discover things on your own.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
As far as variety of enemies go, I am just happy that there are no heavies (or whatever they were called in 3, I forget) in this game. What an obnoxious pain to fight they were.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Zorak posted:

I miss having a group of furries or bikers popping up and harassing my possessions too. When I wanted I could ignore it, when I didn't I could kill some furries.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
While we're on the subject, I wish you could still start a pimps vs saints turf war by capping a pimp and watching all his pimp buddies call in the cavalry. That was my poo poo in SR2.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

While we're on the subject, I wish you could still start a pimps vs saints turf war by capping a pimp and watching all his pimp buddies call in the cavalry. That was my poo poo in SR2.

I just did this about an hour ago, it was awesome. I got the cops involved too!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

PantsBandit posted:

I liked rolling with a full compliment of gang members and then taunting an NPC. The NPC becomes aggressive and my crew immediately shoves them to the ground and kicks the crap out of them.

Made it even better that I'd put all my gang members in riot gear. I was leaning heavily into the "Supervillain Simulator" angle even back then.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
French Boss has probably my favorite answer to "Think of your worst asset, multiplied by a thousand". "A thousand Kinzies? Nooo"

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zorak posted:

Do agree with this. I liked someone suggestion where the wardens were more like mini gangleaders and they would control the various revived gangs that you see in certain missions. At least then it wouldn't feel like your just fighting nothing but aliens over and over. Maybe if that happened then when you fight the wardens at the end of these, you get the power that one controls like normal. That or even just skip the wardens and have the revived gang leaders who are promised new bodies if they help Zinyak.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Rocketlex posted:

I liked rolling with a full compliment of gang members and then taunting an NPC. The NPC becomes aggressive and my crew immediately shoves them to the ground and kicks the crap out of them.

Made it even better that I'd put all my gang members in riot gear. I was leaning heavily into the "Supervillain Simulator" angle even back then.

Have your gang dress up like ninjas and you'll feel like the Shredder.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rocketlex posted:

I think pound-for-pound this game has a fair bit more content than SR3, it's just determined to lead you by the nose through absolutely all of it rather than let you discover things on your own.

Yeah, I think a big thing that does this is all the side missions of 'do this particular chain of side-content'. Normally in SR3 I'd just do that whenever the hell I wanted, but here there's sort of a force telling me to do things at a certain time and in a certain order. While I appreciate the direction, I feel like it might be to the game's detriment a bit. Or at least to the way I play it; some days I'm in more of an Insurance Fraud mood than a Mayhem mood, and I'd prefer to do them at my own pace. If I play the game a second time, I think I'll just ignore those missions and do it all myself.

How is the mission count in this game when you only count the plot missions and loyalties? I don't know how much there actually is in comparison to SR3, partly because I haven't finished and partly because I've forgotten how many missions are in SR3.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Rirse posted:

Do agree with this. I liked someone suggestion where the wardens were more like mini gangleaders and they would control the various revived gangs that you see in certain missions. At least then it wouldn't feel like your just fighting nothing but aliens over and over. Maybe if that happened then when you fight the wardens at the end of these, you get the power that one controls like normal. That or even just skip the wardens and have the revived gang leaders who are promised new bodies if they help Zinyak.

I'd be happy if wardens were modded so that a) no quicktimes and b) do not despawn everything in the area upon death. I would rather them have been like heavies, except maybe with a timer so that once you kill one you won't see another for a while.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm working on finishing up my achievements and I'm wondering, for the Super Stomp one do I have to actually kill the aliens with the stomp itself or does killing them while they're under any effect from it count as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Cleretic posted:

How is the mission count in this game when you only count the plot missions and loyalties? I don't know how much there actually is in comparison to SR3, partly because I haven't finished and partly because I've forgotten how many missions are in SR3.

If you don't count SR3's activity-missions or the buying stores/collectibles/gang ops tutorial mission, I think it comes up to 23 missions (including both endings). SR4 I think has ~21 main missions (not counting the missions at the beginning which are pretty much tutorial missions) and 7 loyalty missions (not counting the one that's part of the main story).

• Locked thread