Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

tomapot posted:

From two pages back but chiming in to one-up you. Some departments in my company either have Radio Disney or sappy Disney tunes for the on-hold music. Nothing like "zippity-doo-dah" blasting through a conference call.

All conference calls that reach the 30 minute mark should automatically be interrupted by Zippity Doo Dah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
So far today I've:

- Watched a sever load test for an hour or so

- Rebooted several production servers for kernel patching

- Fixed a server whose NFS exports from our SAN got un-exported suddenly

- Did some poo poo that I don't even know to fix a corrupted Lotus Domino names.nsf file (I don't know a goddamn thing about Domino, but our Domino admin isn't a Domino admin and also doesn't know a thing about Unix, so :welp: )

- Cleaned up some Oracle archive logs before a filesystem filled up

- Actively watched our monitoring system for 12 hours

Only four more hours of monitoring and a dozen more reboots to go, then I can try to get a few hours of sleep before getting up at 4AM to do more server reboots, and then assuming that doesn't break anything, maybe a couple more hours of sleep before I start another 16-hour monitoring shift. Then it's just five work days left till the weekend (when I'll be rebooting yet more servers, hooray... :toot: )

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

JohnnyCanuck posted:

It's why I still use an actual client, rather than just the webapps.
Now, if the devs could work on getting group chat up and running...

Group chat is what I was using it for >.<

Didn't know they did an actual client but sounds like it would not be useful to me.

I guess I'm to have to run gtalk under IE or something sick like that. (I refuse to allow Chrome on my system)

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

SubjectVerbObject posted:

The best ticket I ever saw needs a little explaining. The ticket itself was an escalation to a developer regarding an issue with switch hook flash not working a certain Japanese version of a Commercial phone switch. If you translate switch hook flash into Japanese, but use English characters (not sure what that is called) switch hook flash becomes switchero fukko.

:eng101: What they did was transliterate the English words "switch hook flash" phonetically into Japanese, using the set of phonetic characters called katakana, which are frequently used to transliterate words from non-Japanese languages. Here is a handy chart. See where it says "Hu/Fu" on the first chart? That's the closest approximation to the first sound in the word "hook" you can get in katakana; there isn't a distinction made between the "hu" and "fu" sounds. One Japanese-speaker probably transliterated "hook" into katakana as フック, and then a different one transliterated it back into English.

I studied Japanese in college :spergin:

dennyk posted:

- Actively watched our monitoring system for 12 hours

Only four more hours of monitoring and a dozen more reboots to go, then I can try to get a few hours of sleep before getting up at 4AM to do more server reboots, and then assuming that doesn't break anything, maybe a couple more hours of sleep before I start another 16-hour monitoring shift. Then it's just five work days left till the weekend (when I'll be rebooting yet more servers, hooray... :toot: )

:stonk: We have a monitoring system. Watching it is part of my job. I work on a team where there are (in theory) at least 6 people watching it at all times. The thought of trying to do that by myself... :smith: I'm so sorry.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

GreenNight posted:

New user: I need my mailbox limit bumped up, I can't do my job with only 1 gig.
Me: Sorry but company policy is 1 gig, no exceptions. Even the CEO only has a 1 gig mailbox.
New user: That's crazy. Let me talk to a few people because I'm important.
*crickets*

Happens a few times a year.

I bet they'd love our company policy of "3 months of email retention". If it's important, you'd better save it off somewhere.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ursine Asylum posted:

I bet they'd love our company policy of "3 months of email retention". If it's important, you'd better save it off somewhere.

Haha drat. The only other rules we have is that we disable archiving and psts through group policy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe if your job involves sending and receiving a variety of large files it'd make sense because you could fill up over the weekend.

Like a marketing person who sends and receives art and video back and forth as different people make revisions and suggestions.

And if you've got 8 projects at different stages going down the pipe, you can fill up a box quickly.

That said, they don't need to keep 100 versions of 3 year old projects in their archives.

Having worked on software that shipped on mobile devices, I (my group actually) was on many device-dev-specific mailing lists. Every day, I would get about 20mb worth of .xls files containing the full test reports about how device QA can verify that build 1234 is safe to flash.

Suffice to say, even with auto archive and rules, having enough space in your mailbox can be critical.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Lum posted:

Didn't know they did an actual client but sounds like it would not be useful to me.

I guess I'm to have to run gtalk under IE or something sick like that. (I refuse to allow Chrome on my system)

Is there any reason you're not using multiple sign-in? I'm reasonably sure that's not browser dependent.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

tomapot posted:

From two pages back but chiming in to one-up you. Some departments in my company either have Radio Disney or sappy Disney tunes for the on-hold music. Nothing like "zippity-doo-dah" blasting through a conference call.

I worked for an indian company about 10 years ago. Whenever anyone would call the Indian office, the hold music over there sounded like tinkerbell taking a poo poo, like really bad, old music box amplified and overmodulated like a psychotic ice cream van, and it was way off key to boot.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Ursine Asylum posted:

We have this policy and I still have users who burn through their quota. For us it's mostly emailing large presentations back and forth and they just don't think about it. Usually I can teach them to manage their mailbox better and that's enough, but once in a while they really do get so much stuff that they need a bigger quota. Our quotas are smaller, though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I never understood emailing big files. Just set up a FTP or http share or something. Or use mega if you can't get any help from IT.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

I never understood emailing big files. Just set up a FTP or http share or something. Or use mega if you can't get any help from IT.

"But email is so simple and I understand it. Why do you want to make me learn something new? Do you just want to prevent me from doing my job? Can't you make it so my way works?"

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

SEKCobra posted:

Most (just about all) end users don't know what a file really is, let alone understand FTP well enough to use it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Ursine Asylum posted:

Maybe this would push our support team into properly making use of the KB instead of having a cache of saved email about random issues.

Of course, it wouldn't.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Most (just about all) end users don't know what a file really is, let alone understand FTP well enough to use it.

What is a file? A miserable pile of serialised structs!

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

We have a share which is totally public to anyone, so we say to people if you need to share something big leave it in there.

The only stipulation is let the other person know because the share deletes all it's contents before the backup runs each night ;)

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Email chat: ridiculously graphical corporate signatures repeated over and over in long chains.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

angry armadillo posted:

We have a share which is totally public to anyone, so we say to people if you need to share something big leave it in there.

The only stipulation is let the other person know because the share deletes all it's contents before the backup runs each night ;)
One company I worked at had a shared area full of folders with people's usernames. You couldn't browse other people's folders, but if you wanted to send them something huge, you just dragged and dropped it onto their folder to place it somewhere they could access, which notified the person of the new file. It worked pretty well.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

PurpleButterfly posted:

One Japanese-speaker probably transliterated "hook" into katakana as フック, and then a different one transliterated it back into English.

"gently caress" is a generally-understood term in Japan - everyone over 18 (at least) knows what it means(and, as I think I've mentioned before, in my experience when Japanese developers get angry they tend to swear in English, which I find hilarious) - they were probably being all passive-agressive at you (This is extra-likely if you're in some sort of partnership which was set up with a non-Engineering part of the Japanese company, BUT communicate with the engineers)

My real joy with our Japanese partners is that as of about a year ago they decided they only ever wanted to communicate with us in English (before that it was in Japanese) - and their English is terrible. They also seem to forget that all their emails are seen by (1) a native Japanese speaker (who, admittedly, studied IT in the UK, so their engineering Japanese is not great) and (2) A bilingual engineer who's spent more time as a developer for Japanese companies in Japan than most of their employees. Sometimes this means they include chunks of emails that they really really shouldn't. It's as if they've generalised "No foreigners speak Japanese" (which isn't true anyway) out to "No-one in Foreign countries speaks Japanese" (forgetting that there genuinely are some Japanese ex-pats out there)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

BurgerQuest posted:

Email chat: ridiculously graphical corporate signatures repeated over and over in long chains.

We have a supplier that uses a 700x400 image as a signature (because they think their loving business advert needs to be at the bottom of every email :jerkbag:). The supplier and our purchasing manager never trim down emails, and they're both top-posters, so it's perfectly normal to have multi-megabyte emails going back and forth that end like this:

>>>>> *giant image*
>>>>>
>>>> *giant image*
>>>>
>>> *giant image*
>>>
>> *giant image*
>>
> *giant image*
>
*giant image*

... nested 50-60 levels deep.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I work for a small organisation, but does Google Apps regularly invoice people for $2 at a time? I don't understand what's going on there. Our account keeps getting suspended, and payments randomly don't go through for no apparent reason.

I finally gave up and put a $100 credit on there after the (minimum increment) $20 apparently didn't work with the same god damned card.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

Is there any reason you're not using multiple sign-in? I'm reasonably sure that's not browser dependent.

I don't want my accounts linked.

Way back when, I got banned from Google Plus for refusing to give them my real name. This hosed up my phone which was prevented from logging in and syncing contacts and calendars. I ended creating a new account specifically for my phone and re-entering everything. It sucked.

I now have two accounts, that one for the phone, which I also use for GTalk as I use that on the phone as well as the desktop, and another one which I use for uploading my mashups and recordings of my live DJ sets to Youtube.

Since this activity basically involves uploading copyright music to Youtube that Google then identifies (usually gets between 2 and 8 songs out of a 2 hour set, then blocks my video in Germany) I figure that account is probably going to get banned eventually. I do not want to link it to my other account and gently caress up my phone again.

Edit: vvvvv Oooh, that sounds perfect, thanks.

Lum fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 8, 2013

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Lum posted:

If you are using Firefox you could use the -no-remote switch to run another Firefox with a second profile and be logged into both accounts at once.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

"gently caress" is a generally-understood term in Japan - everyone over 18 (at least) knows what it means(and, as I think I've mentioned before, in my experience when Japanese developers get angry they tend to swear in English, which I find hilarious) - they were probably being all passive-agressive at you (This is extra-likely if you're in some sort of partnership which was set up with a non-Engineering part of the Japanese company, BUT communicate with the engineers)

I think it was real. The guy was an employee of my company and it was used multiple times in a ticket to refer to switch hook flash. After we discovered it, which by the way shut down tier 3 support at a major vendor for an hour, as people just had to read it and show their friends, gently caress switch was changed to switch hook flash and there was an email thread added wherein a developer had to explain to the engineer why they changed it.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

GreenNight posted:

New user: I need my mailbox limit bumped up, I can't do my job with only 1 gig.
Me: Sorry but company policy is 1 gig, no exceptions. Even the CEO only has a 1 gig mailbox.
New user: That's crazy. Let me talk to a few people because I'm important.
*crickets*

Happens a few times a year.

Happens all the time but there isn't actually a hard limit anyway, people just get fed up of the warnings.

But yeah we always get similar grumblings with the 20MB attachment limit
:v: "You can get a 2TB hard drive for £50, why are you being so awkward?"
Sure, I'll install a lovely consumer grade hard drive for your mailbox then (hm.. this wouldn't be the worst of solutions. to shuffle fussy users onto bigger+cheaper storage)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GargleBlaster posted:

Happens all the time but there isn't actually a hard limit anyway, people just get fed up of the warnings.

Sure, I'll install a lovely consumer grade hard drive for your mailbox then (hm.. this wouldn't be the worst of solutions. to shuffle fussy users onto bigger+cheaper storage)

Yeah, we have warnings at 950 megs and all email stops at 1 gig. I have an automated powershell script that gives me a mailbox size list so I know who I need to hassle.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Encountered pc with no xcopy. Why? This just doesnt make sense...

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

SEKCobra posted:

Encountered pc with no xcopy. Why? This just doesnt make sense...

"I deleted some files to tidy up and save space"

The infamous line that eventually led to MS hiding protected OS files.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

GargleBlaster posted:

Exchange is pretty much at the point where you can do this now

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paladine_PSoT posted:

A lot of our clients just use Dropbox to share everything. It's great because it's pretty much transparent to the end users, aside from the person in charge who tells us who gets what shares.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GargleBlaster posted:

Actually valid, though. New versions of Exchange don't chimp out with large databases, you can have multiple databases for archiving, we're also not in the days of SCSI drives in servers, cheap rear end SATA drives can be slotted in..

I know we stick to smaller sizes for the hell of it, to make them actually clear useless poo poo out, but we can technically accommodate retarded-size mailboxes online now at a very minimal cost

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The problem is that we don't want people to use their mailboxes as file storage. No thanks.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

GargleBlaster posted:

"And you constantly complain that your laptop is slow. Magnify that by ${USERS} and you understand why we dont buy £50 disks for the exchange server."

Not that they'd understand or process that information, but eventually it might sink through all that bone. If you hit a rock with a hammer hard enough, enough times, it WILL break.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GreenNight posted:

The problem is that we don't want people to use their mailboxes as file storage. No thanks.

I understand the actual management concerns, and I hate it when people constantly try to send enormous attachments to everyone, but the technical reasons are mostly gone, so instead of saying we can't do it when some doe eyed user says "2TB drives are dirt cheap" we should simply say "we don't want you to use it as a dumping ground. Cost has nothing to do with it."

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GreenNight posted:

I agree - our construction company client is approaching 1.75 TB total DB size (spread across four DBs and this is for about 150-180 users), and we're going to have to up the individual mailbox quota beyond 32 GB soon. :gonk: All because they just keep emailing giant PDFs back and forth, and while it's great that they're saving literally thousands of dollars a month on paper costs at jobsites, we have file shares and DFS set up precisely for this purpose, and they refuse to use them, or buy more storage for Exchange. It's going to be interesting when "just make it work without more storage" runs into "Exchange will not function if its DB drive fills up" (which has actually happened a few times already - the current Exchange LUN started at 1 TB).

I'm now pushing for them to use shared mailboxes for this poo poo, so at the very least it's one mailbox that gets full of crap instead of an entire distro list's worth. (Though I understand Microsoft's reasoning about CPU power, I'm still not the biggest fan of them removing single-instance storage in Exchange 2010). But yeah, it's a management & policy problem - if they insist on using email as file storage, it's going to come back to bite them. And since they won't listen to us, we're just waiting for the trainwreck. :shrug:

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Inspector_71 posted:

A lot of our clients just use Dropbox to share everything. It's great because it's pretty much transparent to the end users, aside from the person in charge who tells us who gets what shares.

You mean to say there are shops that don't immediately poo poo their pantaloons at the mere mention of "cloud"? The powers that be are terrified that someone might find the shady things we're about corporate data might leak. So here we are with yet another very expensive, cumbersome 3rd party product that only 10/10,000 employees will ever use because "security".

Bishyaler fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 8, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We use corporate Syncplicity which is expensive as balls but at least we can manage it.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

HalloKitty posted:

Actually valid, though. New versions of Exchange don't chimp out with large databases, you can have multiple databases for archiving, we're also not in the days of SCSI drives in servers, cheap rear end SATA drives can be slotted in..

I know we stick to smaller sizes for the hell of it, to make them actually clear useless poo poo out, but we can technically accommodate retarded-size mailboxes online now at a very minimal cost

We still are in those days. It's a small company with not a lot of money (because they piss too much of it away on marketing IMO, but that's their prerogative)

However, we are finally upgrading from 2003 next week in fact, so then we can look at such things!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

nitrogen posted:

"And you constantly complain that your laptop is slow. Magnify that by ${USERS} and you understand why we dont buy £50 disks for the exchange server."

Not that they'd understand or process that information, but eventually it might sink through all that bone. If you hit a rock with a hammer hard enough, enough times, it WILL break.

The hammer, the rock, or the user?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The hammer, the rock, or the user?

Your will to live.

• Locked thread