Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The collaboration sounds like it could be awesome. Or it could be really loving awful. I'm imagining a collaboration where Allston writes the general plot, Stackpole writes the characters and the dialogue, and Zahn gets to create the magic plot devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

The collaboration sounds like it could be awesome. Or it could be really loving awful. I'm imagining a collaboration where Allston writes the general plot, Stackpole writes the characters and the dialogue, and Zahn gets to create the magic plot devices.
Except for some of the poo poo Allston's wrote when hemmed in by lovely authors, I wouldn't classify any whole work these guys have written as bad. I'd still like to see it.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'd rather read crap Star Wars than no Star Wars.

Unfortunately, the powers that be are well aware of this.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Ann C. Crispin, who wrote the excellent Han Solo trilogy died today after announcing early this week that her cancer has turned for the worse.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh goddamn that is a bummer :smith:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Kenobi was a fun read. It was pretty sitcom-y in the "Oh that Obi-wan is always getting into trouble, haha" kind of way, but I enjoyed it. A nice change of pace from the rest of the modern EU.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I love that the went with the original Krayt Dragon sound effect for the audiobook.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What's the general consensus on "Cloak of Deception"? I liked it for the excellent back story it provided for The Phantom Menace. Also, since I think Palpatine is the best character in the SW universe, by far, I'm eager for any story that depicts his wheelings and dealings.

I just finished "Labyrinth of Evil" as well, and I liked it, but moreso the last third than the first.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I'm about to go on a long vacation and I want some light space wizard reading. I've only read the Thrawn Trilogy of the EU, but I think I'd prefer Jedi centric books. What're a few books that would scratch that itch?

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

I'm about to go on a long vacation and I want some light space wizard reading. I've only read the Thrawn Trilogy of the EU, but I think I'd prefer Jedi centric books. What're a few books that would scratch that itch?

Any of the Zahn books, I, Jedi, Shatterpoint, Star Wars: Kenobi, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, Rogue Squadron-Wraith Squadron

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Aratoeldar posted:

Any of the Zahn books, I, Jedi, Shatterpoint, Star Wars: Kenobi, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, Rogue Squadron-Wraith Squadron

Awesome, thanks!

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

Awesome, thanks!

I should have also posted the novelization of Revenge of the Sith.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Aratoeldar posted:

I should have also posted the novelization of Revenge of the Sith.

By Stover or Wrede?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ScarletBrother posted:

By Stover or Wrede?

Stover. He's listed all the Stover books for you already minus the one from the NJO which requires context to enjoy but the full context basically ruins.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

astr0man posted:

Kenobi was a fun read. It was pretty sitcom-y in the "Oh that Obi-wan is always getting into trouble, haha" kind of way, but I enjoyed it. A nice change of pace from the rest of the modern EU.
I've listened to the audiobook during a long drive over the weekend - got to a little bit past Part II. Evidently, the audio is unabridged - so that's a plus. I'm enjoying it, though it took a little to get into. I am bored by any chapters from the Tusken POV, but so far they've been a minority. Jonathan Davis is excellent, as usual.

redshirt posted:

What's the general consensus on "Cloak of Deception"? I liked it for the excellent back story it provided for The Phantom Menace. Also, since I think Palpatine is the best character in the SW universe, by far, I'm eager for any story that depicts his wheelings and dealings.

I just finished "Labyrinth of Evil" as well, and I liked it, but moreso the last third than the first.

I loved Cloak of Deception. I also loved Labyrinth, Dark Lord, and Plagueis. Luceno is one of my top authors, I wish he did more work.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

McGann posted:

I loved Cloak of Deception. I also loved Labyrinth, Dark Lord, and Plagueis. Luceno is one of my top authors, I wish he did more work.

Didn't Luceno also write the Millennium Falcon book that makes it into a Magical Ship of Destiny? I never read it, but someone tried to use it for the Let's Read Thread. (the first one, not the one I gave up on because :effort: )

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I finally forced myself to finish Balance Point last night and resume my NJO read-through. Thankfully the book started to hit its stride - at least enough to be tolerable - in the last 20% or so.

Still loving loathe Jacen though. So let me see if I understand this correctly, since NJO authors seem to have no loving idea why Jacen is such a whiny prick: he has this dumb vision and assumes, based on his hazy interpretation of it (and totally ignoring his previous hugely failed attempts at interpreting visions from the Force which nearly got him killed only like two books ago), that he must give up the Force completely and become some kind of ascetic in order to find out what he "truly is." So he does this, and instead of really probing what it means to be a Jedi or searching for his own personal philosophy, he whines at people who ask him to use the Force, refuses to use it in situations that would save his own life or others, and just sits there waiting for the answer to fall into his lap, continually asking "what do you want from me?!" of nobody in particular.

Then when he finally breaks out of this emo as gently caress slump, he... resumes life as normal, seemingly without any growth or development whatsoever? What was the point of all this besides to make the reader hate Jacen for being a whiny little bitch and love Jaina for being everything Jacen isn't?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Drone posted:

I finally forced myself to finish Balance Point last night and resume my NJO read-through. Thankfully the book started to hit its stride - at least enough to be tolerable - in the last 20% or so.

Still loving loathe Jacen though. So let me see if I understand this correctly, since NJO authors seem to have no loving idea why Jacen is such a whiny prick: he has this dumb vision and assumes, based on his hazy interpretation of it (and totally ignoring his previous hugely failed attempts at interpreting visions from the Force which nearly got him killed only like two books ago), that he must give up the Force completely and become some kind of ascetic in order to find out what he "truly is." So he does this, and instead of really probing what it means to be a Jedi or searching for his own personal philosophy, he whines at people who ask him to use the Force, refuses to use it in situations that would save his own life or others, and just sits there waiting for the answer to fall into his lap, continually asking "what do you want from me?!" of nobody in particular.

Then when he finally breaks out of this emo as gently caress slump, he... resumes life as normal, seemingly without any growth or development whatsoever? What was the point of all this besides to make the reader hate Jacen for being a whiny little bitch and love Jaina for being everything Jacen isn't?

Cut out a couple words here and there and you'd have a description of Legacy of the Force.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Finished MedStar book 1, it's extremely refreshing and handles the "CLONES ARE PEOPLE TOO":byodame: sub plot in a few paragraphs better than Travis did in one entire book.

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

McGann posted:

Not enough Mike Stackpole love. I enjoyed some of his Star Wars books as well as those in Battletech.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I loved Stackpole's X-Wing books as a kid, but recently I've been rereading his NJO Dark Tide books for the first time since middle school, and I keep noticing how mediocre the writing is. The dialogue is clunky, the Corran sections are a little too in awe of the character, things like that. I find myself rephrasing and editing the book as I read it. It's disappointing.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I loved Stackpole's X-Wing books as a kid, but recently I've been rereading his NJO Dark Tide books for the first time since middle school, and I keep noticing how mediocre the writing is. The dialogue is clunky, the Corran sections are a little too in awe of the character, things like that. I find myself rephrasing and editing the book as I read it. It's disappointing.

Seconded. I liked X-Wing the first time through (and hell, I was still in my early 20s so not even a kid). The second run through I abandoned and went straight to the Aalston books. Stackpole's Mary Sue/Gary Stu character of Corran "I'm the most awesome, bad rear end, fuckable pilot around. Oh yeah and I'm a Jedi, too!" got old, really fast.

He's definitely not bad, I'd even put him in the "good" category for Star Wars - but he is definitely pretty predictable and definitely not "good" when it comes to fiction as a whole.

edit: I know why I liked it so much more the first time - My "unwind time" in the evenings consisted of getting rip-roaringly high and reading Star Wars EU. Subtract the ganja from that and it's not nearly as awesome.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
When I read the first X-Wing book I was a kid and not entirely sure what cleavage meant (Erisi, you tramp) and I asked my mom.

She told me, and then I got a boner

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Conquistador posted:

When I read the first X-Wing book I was a kid and not entirely sure what cleavage meant (Erisi, you tramp) and I asked my mom.

She told me, and then I got a boner

I feel like there's a new thread title somewhere in there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The X-Wing series used to give me boners too.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
I love the Star Wars thread in GBS, because it's a parade of

:allears: Wouldn't it be cool if _________ existed?
:v: Yeah, and it sorta does. **posts link**/mentions EU material

:mad: I hate Star Wars and have come here to tell you about it!

:supaburn: I don't get _________ in Episode II so it must be a huge plothole! What a bunch of poo poo.
:v: Yeah there's a lot of weak, terrible writing in the prequels but there's a couple of things in the EU that actually make _______ kinda cool in retrospect.
:colbert: Here is another thing I don't understand. If only there were some way to learn more about it.
:v: Actually, here's another EU thing that addresses exactly that.

:supaburn: THE EU IS TERRIBLE DESTROY IT ALL!

:allears: Man I'd really like to see them do __________.
:v: They sorta did: **posts joke link**

:rolleyes: Pfft Star Wars, the new movies are going to suck.

:mad: I still hate Star Wars and the OT is also bad in hindsight!

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I was loving with that thread a little bit earlier, but somebody that recognized my shenanigans from the Trek thread called me out on my poo poo and ruined my fun :(

Oh well, I did manage to convince one person that I enjoyed "the first three Star Wars movies" more than the poorly cast A New Hope :laugh:

E: But yeah, you pretty much straight up described that thread

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arschlochkind posted:

I love the Star Wars thread in GBS, because it's a parade of

:allears: Wouldn't it be cool if _________ existed?
:v: Yeah, and it sorta does. **posts link**/mentions EU material

:mad: I hate Star Wars and have come here to tell you about it!

:supaburn: I don't get _________ in Episode II so it must be a huge plothole! What a bunch of poo poo.
:v: Yeah there's a lot of weak, terrible writing in the prequels but there's a couple of things in the EU that actually make _______ kinda cool in retrospect.
:colbert: Here is another thing I don't understand. If only there were some way to learn more about it.
:v: Actually, here's another EU thing that addresses exactly that.

:supaburn: THE EU IS TERRIBLE DESTROY IT ALL!

:allears: Man I'd really like to see them do __________.
:v: They sorta did: **posts joke link**

:rolleyes: Pfft Star Wars, the new movies are going to suck.

:mad: I still hate Star Wars and the OT is also bad in hindsight!

I remember when we did that, but we were much classier about it.

Alright I lied, nothing has changed.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah but we know our stuff and are more enlightened goonbeards about it :colbert:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nope, sorry, Episode II makes no sense and relying on (terrible) EU works in order for it to make sense is loving retarded.

You should want to read EU works because you enjoy the universe and want to continue the adventure. You should not want to read EU works to make sense of a major motion picture or fill in major gaps in logic or plot holes. And having an EU explanation after the fact for something is absolutely not the same as "George Lucas had this all planned and mapped out all along"

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 24, 2013

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

WhyteRyce posted:

Nope, sorry, Episode II makes no sense and relying on (terrible) EU works in order for it to make sense is loving retarded.

You should want to read EU works because you enjoy the universe and want to continue the adventure. You should not want to read EU works to make sense of a major motion picture or fill in major gaps in logic or plot holes

Episode II is the worst Star Wars movie, hands down. I'll never argue otherwise. If you're talking about the "here's another thing I don't understand" part then I meant that to be more of a general Star Wars thing like "do lightsaber blades have weight?" and worded it poorly. No, you shouldn't have to read a book for a movie to make sense.

With that said, I think some of the posters in the other thread are reading too much into what the movie didn't say. Sure, it's weird and the product of bad writing that the Kamino cloners had like a million dudes ready to roll out when Obi-Wan got there. But there are people in the other thread using that and, from what I can tell, just assuming that's the entire Army of the Republic and falling over themselves to be the one to poo poo all over Lucas and the prequels the most.

Maybe they oh, I don't know, made more clones after Geonosis? Maybe somebody else built all the big ships we see later? You don't need to read a book to make assumptions necessitated by a lovely script, but a child can watch that movie and come up with enough of an explanation based on what we're shown. Lucas should have had a long editing process for the movies, but it's not like Attack of the Clones has a big climax with a [SCENE MISSING] card right in the middle.

Edit: There are posters pointing out that the Revenge of the Sith novelization actually made the scene where Dooku is killed pretty neat in hindsight because it told them more, which is what the EU is about. The movie is written poorly, the EU builds on it to give us something less lovely in that case... and then other posters act like that is an affront to God and I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO READ A BOOK. To be a little more clear, that's the kind of stuff I'm rolling my eyes at. It's not just the Episode II stuff I was taking the piss about.

Arschlochkind fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 24, 2013

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Arschlochkind posted:

Episode II is the worst Star Wars movie, hands down. I'll never argue otherwise.
While it's bad, bad, bad (with good music, but it's Star Wars, so that's a given), I don't think I'd go quite so far as to call it the worst.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I actually think AOTC had the worst music of the Star Wars films. It's the only one that doesn't really have any memorable new themes of its own, just recycling stuff from earlier movies or having new stuff that's completely forgettable (like the chase music near the start that uses electric guitars...probably one of the few John Williams duds I can think of off the top of my head).

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
That Anakin/Padme theme wasn't new to AOTC?

E: I don't actually know if that is the name of it, thats just how I've internalized it

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If you played SWG you'd get the battle or chase music from ATC/TPM imprinted in your brain because it started every time you got into combat.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Conquistador posted:

That Anakin/Padme theme wasn't new to AOTC?

E: I don't actually know if that is the name of it, thats just how I've internalized it

Across the Stars was the big theme piece from Episode II. And I actually really enjoyed it. I'd rather listen to it on repeat for the length of Episode II than watch Episode II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nk_WHHTQtY

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ahh yeah, it's a great theme

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There's a fantastic article about the demise of LucasArts over at Kotaku. Two things that stick out:

1) 1313 was an original story featuring a brand new character until 8 weeks before E3, when it was decided that the main character should be Boba Fett.

2) First Assault, the Battlefront continuation, was originally set after ROTJ. In the months before it's existence was revealed, the decision was made to re-skin everything and set it during the Clone Wars.

The man behind both decisions?

George Lucas.

LucasArts Employee posted:

“Every couple of years, George Lucas would get re-engaged for a period of time,” said another person connected to LucasArts. “The whole company would pivot around George’s interests. And then it would fizzle out.”

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
This makes me irrationally angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well at least he can't do it anymore, since he sold the rights. Right? Right?

Please tell me he can't.