Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Feranon posted:

Normally I'd be concerned about all this but Jake is such an awful character that anything is an improvement at this point. He could literally transform into Eridan and still be less annoying.

Really, for being such an apparently powerful and important and handsome Aspect, the Hope characters are just the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Nephthys posted:

She is still a Godtier, and that would strike me as an Unheroic death.

I think dying in doing this to Jake could be crammed into a sufficiently broad definition of "Just."

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Really, for being such an apparently powerful and important and handsome Aspect, the Hope characters are just the worst.

And the biggest bait for tumblr teen girls.

But nah, I have the feeling Aranea's just fine, maybe getting a hang over from the intense amount of hope that just went through her brain.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

aegof posted:

I think dying in doing this to Jake could be crammed into a sufficiently broad definition of "Just."

I'm pretty sure it could fit into the narrowest definition just as well.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

I'm pretty sure it could fit into the narrowest definition just as well.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Vriska died as a consequence of her hubris, and Aranea is definitely at risk here for the same reason.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

If showing any form of initiative is wrong, I don't want to be right :colbert:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well, that's the thing. It isn't that taking the initiative is bad, it's that the characters in this comic who do take the initiative also happen to have a unique talent for making bad decisions.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
And we get a story from the results. The alternative is more boring than some claim Serket1 to be.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
What about Roxy wasn't her cell across the way from Jake's? :ohdear:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

She's also a god tier.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
I'm betting Condy will survive the explosion, but if Jade bites it/Jane's tiara gets obliterated they'll stop being evil?

Also, it will be interesting to see if this changes Jake's character at all. If he goes evil and Jane/Jade keep being evil then this pretty much has to be Hussie loving around with the old theory that the Derse kids were gonna turn out evil.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Ammat The Ankh posted:

What about Dad??? He was in a derse prison cell too, and he's one of the few non-god tier characters in the comic at this point :ohdear:

I hope that some time in the next few updates we see dad punching one of those hope angels in the head and escaping his cell

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Rooreelooo posted:

What about Dad??? He was in a derse prison cell too, and he's one of the few non-god tier characters in the comic at this point :ohdear:

The only thing that could kill B1 Dad was 4x prototyped First Guardian-powered Jack Noir. It's gonna take more than a heal/hope-splosion to kill B2 Dad.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Dorroile posted:

Am i missing something, or is that thing in the last panel an angel from Eridan's land?

It also looks pretty similar to the adult Cherub on this page, if the green trail and its body were all the same shade of white.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Whybird posted:

It also looks pretty similar to the adult Cherub on this page, if the green trail and its body were all the same shade of white.

They seem to be a bit different. The cherubs have big fluffy wings when they appear- the wings of the angels appear to be sparser, with a smaller wingspan, and the one that just showed up appears to have the same monster-shaped heads as the angels we saw before on LOWAA (as opposed to skull-monster shaped).

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 8, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say there's an association between cherubs and angels, though. This whole bit seems to tie in with how Jake is oddly associated with lord English.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
It seems pretty likely to me that Roxy has the right idea there.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What is UP with the server?

Roxy is looking pretty chill.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Dolash posted:

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say there's an association between cherubs and angels, though. This whole bit seems to tie in with how Jake is oddly associated with lord English.

Yeah, I don't disagree with the strong possibility that there are ties between them. They've both definitely been associated with the symbols of hope and hope players, I just don't think it's as simple as 'angels and cherubs are the same' in the context of Homestuck. Since we got to see Roxy get out okay, I'm hoping Dad will be the next one out! :ohdear:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh Jesus Christ. KindFang what the gently caress did you do?!

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Come on, server, get it together!

Well we're getting there. It's shown me up to Roxy chilling out mid earthquake.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Burkion posted:

Oh Jesus Christ. KindFang what the gently caress did you do?!

Whatever it is, I hope the next update is a 5 minute flash animated plot twist.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Awesome

Just how brain damaged was Jake if fixing him apparently destroys an entire planet

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Server seems to have settled again and yes, Rox, I'd stay invisible as well.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
It could be as straightforward as Jake having his Hopey Thing powers unlocked, but he has no idea how to control them and no experience to guide him in the matter. If he'd been allowed to develop naturally then his maturation would have acted as a guide as to the nature of Hope powers and how to use 'em, but because a Serket had to take a shortcut, things're going pear shaped.

Quelle surprise.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Loved the 'SHAZAM!' yell

Roxy's the best :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized, we're about to get two full fledged Dirks, and one weird ghost troll dirk hybrid thing.

Brain Dirk is still Dirk and now, with the powers unlocked, dude is going to be REAL.

Holy poo poo.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Kazy posted:

:stare: I wonder if this is Jake's Hope power kicking in or it's still the "healing"

Definitely a hopesplosion (check out the shape of the light)

The Ultimate Koos
Sep 7, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
:3:

So, any chances a couple angels born here will be the cherubs Aranea spoke of in the legend?

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
The Koos pile doesn't stop from getting taller.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bell_ posted:

:3:

So, any chances a couple angels born here will be the cherubs Aranea spoke of in the legend?

While it's unlikely, it... fits surprisingly well. It'd explain why Caliborn's kind were never meant to play the game. And Jake English being Lord English's grandfather is pretty fun.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

While it's unlikely, it... fits surprisingly well. It'd explain why Caliborn's kind were never meant to play the game. And Jake English being Lord English's grandfather is pretty fun.

Just when you thought John's family tree couldn't get any more complex.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The Ultimate Koos posted:

something beautiful

:haw:

Oh no guys now I'm really worried about Dad (and DD).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

These angels are white but cherubs are green. What does that mean. Trolls regarded angels as malevolent and even demonic, even mistaking Jack for one, but humans consider them largely benevolent (if terrible).

Why is hope scary in Homestuck?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Bongo Bill posted:

It's a neat idea, emphasising the negative aspects of something commonly seen as good, reminds me of Nobilis.

Hope...
...is never enough
...is always a lie
...controls the weak-minded

Hope

-is infectious
- makes you want something better
-has no basis in reality
-perches in your soul

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Prison Warden posted:

It's a neat idea, emphasising the negative aspects of something commonly seen as good, reminds me of Nobilis.

Hope...
...is never enough
...is always a lie
...controls the weak-minded

Hope

-is infectious
- makes you want something better
-has no basis in reality
-perches in your soul

Isn't that a good thing, though? You want things to be better, which means looking to where improvements can be made, and from then actually improving things.

War Requiem
Apr 22, 2008

MY BUTTOCKS SHALL DEFEAT YOU!

Bongo Bill posted:

These angels are white but cherubs are green. What does that mean. Trolls regarded angels as malevolent and even demonic, even mistaking Jack for one, but humans consider them largely benevolent (if terrible).

I think trolls regarded them as malevolent because Doc Scratch influenced their views on the matter.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

War Requiem posted:

I think trolls regarded them as malevolent because Doc Scratch influenced their views on the matter.

And yet, here we've got angels seemingly doing what Jack did. Eridan actually met angels, though maybe they wouldn't have been like this if he hadn't provoked them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

War Requiem posted:

I am pretty sure trolls regarded them as malevolent because eventually they were going to end up with players in a session where they were the theme of one of the planets, where they would be malevolent. Which doesn't discount that they were only malevolent because Eridan provoked them, which also doesn't mean that he only provoked them because he expected them to be malevolent because of the culture he grew up in.

Basically in homestuck it's usually safe to ASSUME there's a stable time loop involved, and then go from there.