Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

voltron lion force posted:

Are Sil tiles gonna be a thing anytime soon? Just started messing around with it and it seems really cool but the ascii graphics kinda burn me out.

I don't think tiles are planned at all for Sil. You should probably just keep getting used to ascii. A lot of good roguelikes only have ascii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I like brogue a lot, but I too am just not very good at it. Can anyone here give some insight into what goes into a good run? My best games get down to around 13-16, and at that point I just get overwhelmed. Zombies, pixies, and furies seem to be giving me the most trouble right now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The guys on the Brogue forums seem to think that the best strategy is ignoring all the cool magic and runic poo poo and just running around with +whatever plate armor and broadsword.

Other than that, I don't have any advice, because I'm probably worse than you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The proper Brogue strategy is to accept your cold and inevitable death when you don't get any good item spawns.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I suck at Brogue and routinely lose between levels 10-14, but my better games tend to be ones where I either gently caress up or have crap equipment early on, but just press on anyway.

Of course, there are those runs where I get a full backpack, not a Magic Detect in sight, and I put on cursed poo poo, drink potions, fall through a hole in the floor, and get my face smashed in by an ogre.

A good roguelike isn't one that hates you, it's one that just doesn't give a poo poo about you.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MeramJert posted:

I don't think tiles are planned at all for Sil. You should probably just keep getting used to ascii. A lot of good roguelikes only have ascii.

Oh :saddowns:

Reason I asked though is because in the options menu they have a graphics setting with a few grayed out tile sets. Figured that might mean they were close.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Reason I asked though is because in the options menu they have a graphics setting with a few grayed out tile sets. Figured that might mean they were close.

The sil devs have mentioned tiles support as an eventual thing, but they seem very averse to dates/timelines/preview of dev goals.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

The proper Brogue strategy is to accept your cold and inevitable death when you don't get any good item spawns.

This. Sometimes, you just get a bad seed. Or walk straight into a monster. Or the numbers don't go your way in a fight.

Actually useful advice: I think the broadsword/war axe and plate combo is the way to go too. I've been taking longer to die since I read that info on the wiki. I don't enchant anything (don't even read-ID scrolls) until I've got something I'll keep to the end of the game, and I always try to have a spare enchant scroll. Also, use the traps as much as you can. It's what they're really there for. As most of the gases burn you can ignite a cloud over lava by just throwing a dart into the lava - it'll burn up and the gas will catch. If a monster hasn't spotted you yet, it'll turn away from a cloud of harmful gas, letting you run off. You can stop the traps working by triggering them from a safe distance - you'll need to remove the dart (etc) before they can fire again.

And don't mess with spiders.

Anachronist posted:

Zombies, pixies, and furies seem to be giving me the most trouble right now.

Zombies aren't actually too tough if you have that snazzy +4 broadsword. If not, uh... setting them on fire is cool, but dangerous because they burn for so long. Pixies are a bugger and I recommend a staff of lightning. I can't really help with furies because I tend to die before I get that deep, but they spawn in packs so discord should work fairly well? Or obstruction maybe?

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 8, 2013

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Definitely some things I hadn't considered, like throwing items onto trap buttons. You'd think that the pressure plate vault would make me at least consider the idea, but I guess not.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The guys on the Brogue forums seem to think that the best strategy is ignoring all the cool magic and runic poo poo and just running around with +whatever plate armor and broadsword.

The best strategy is figuring out how to keep your allies from dying.

It's just that every strategy benefits from plate/broadsword. And really you only have to use half of your enchants on those. It's just best if you use all of the first half.

Anachronist posted:

I like brogue a lot, but I too am just not very good at it. Can anyone here give some insight into what goes into a good run? My best games get down to around 13-16, and at that point I just get overwhelmed. Zombies, pixies, and furies seem to be giving me the most trouble right now.

Midgame woes, huh?

By level 13 you want to be set for main weapon and armor. Acid proof at least armor 12 (you can boost it more later). You also want a permanent solution for casters, my preference would be Staff of Lightning 7, but my guess is that a charm of negation would work in some cases.

Always engage monsters on your own terms. The only thing you gain from beating a monster is that they aren't there to kill you anymore.

Zombies-
Zombies shouldn't be a problem to melee since you are already handling Wraiths. If you need to avoid them do so. They are slower than you because they are already puking and you aren't yet. The solution of last resort is fire, but only because you don't want to burn up enchants.

Pixies-
They have 10 HP. Killing a pixie should always become your first priority the instant you see one. This is true for most late game casters.

Furies-
Wing jackals. Since they fight in a pack always try to get a positional advantage over them. The old joke goes, "What's the most overpowered thing in Brogue? Doors." Fury depth is 18 though, so if you were seeing them they were Out Of Depth spawns, condolences.

Edit: P.S. I mostly die in the midgame too.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They'll probably do another release in January, so who knows, maybe then?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

S.T.C.A. posted:

Caves of Qud

Qud is a really awesome setting with a surprisingly wide variety of builds. The game itself is still in a pre-release state, but it's in a very fun state. There's loads of little detail presented with a, if not immediately apparent, streamlined UI; space defaults to a context-sensitive Do-The-Right action button which will prompt you by direction when there's multiple choices. Ranged combat is handled surprisingly well, though you have to spec for it. There's a lot of various active-powers you can get from skills, mutations, and though I've never found it, apparently cybernetic modification. There's a STUPID amount of detail in the game, in a fun way, with an amazing setting for the story. I really cannot recommend this game enough, to the point that I have to share my most awesome recent Qud experience.

I was trekking across the jungles of Qud when I saw some yellow fish; madpoles. These toothy bastards latch onto prey and tear limbs off. Figuring myself safe in my natural chitinous carapace--literally hardened enough to deflect bullets from chaingun turrets in the ruins of abandoned military complexes I frequent--I approached the poles. I emptied half my carbine into the closest madpoles. Feeling sporting, I drew my daggers and waded towards the sole remaining madpole.

When I think "giant turtle shell man who has claws on the back of his hands that he digs through concrete with in between killing giant psychic horses and shamanistic goat men who can literally drain life with their eyes," I think this dude can handle a loving madpole in single combat. I was technically right.

The madpole latched onto me as usual, and as it was a new experience for me, I panicked a little bit as it immediately tore off my left arm. Realizing that with one arm, it's quite impossible to wield a fully automatic rifle in melee combat while it's on the ground next to my other dagger (the one still clutched by my old left hand) I manage to forget I was carrying a revolver, which would have been useful at the moment. But I get ahead of myself.

Somehow, and I say somehow because I kind of panicked and just did stuff, I broke free from the madpole and rolled out of the water. I took stock of myself and noticed that my awesome turtleshell was still intact. Both arms and feet, however, were literally in a pile next to me. The same pile that had my daggers and my rifle, next to a madpole.

Long story short, and let's face it, needless to say in Qud: I regenned one arm off a shot of superdrugs, shot the madpole to death with my revolver, collected my now incredibly bloody gear, and ate my severed limbs to avoid starving to death while I waited for everything else to regenerate naturally from my mutant powers.

Reading these stories makes the 800 years of development worthwhile, thanks for posting.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Unormal posted:

Reading these stories makes the 800 years of development worthwhile, thanks for posting.

It really is a good game though. It's so nice to see a roguelike that isn't the same typical setting too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've always wanted to try Qud out but I'm a neanderthal who gets disoriented by ascii, is there any plans for tilesets?

Still will probably try it out anyways though. It looks cool.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Actually, I need to give CoQ another go. I last played it a couple of years ago and it was really fun and well polished even then. I never made it too far, but playing mutants for the sole purpose of gaining more mutations was amazing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I'm probably not up to date on what the last build of CoQ was, and I think the thread faded away or something. Is there a link to whatever the most up to date build is?

e: I've actually found it, it seems like.

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 9, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Yeah I guess they are planning it long term, I didn't even notice that option!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I'm probably not up to date on what the last build of CoQ was, and I think the thread faded away or something. Is there a link to whatever the most up to date build is?

e: I've actually found it, it seems like.

Just for future reference, the archived thread is here and the latest build can be downloaded from the official web here.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

All roguelikes based on the Angband engine have that menu entry, it doesn't actually mean they have or will ever have tiles, sorry.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

All roguelikes based on the Angband engine have that menu entry, it doesn't actually mean they have or will ever have tiles, sorry.

Naw, Qud is completely from scratch. I was mucking around with tile sets for awhile, but we've been working on a commercial roguelike for mobile devices for the last year or so, so there hasn't been many updates to Qud. We have been slowly diddling with it, we've got a pre-release with half a new dungeon and a mutation cost rebalance if anyone's interested. E-mail me at unormal@gmail.com and I can share the dropbox link to it.

Likely we wouldn't do tile-set support in Qud, but rather a new Qud-world game with graphics specifically in mind.

The latest download can always be found here: http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/

Unormal fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 9, 2013

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The tilechat was about Sil, not CoQ :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Right. Gonna hit you up for the CoQ beta anyway, though. :)

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
In CoQ, is there a guaranteed location for each of the glotrot cure items? I've gotten to that point a couple of times, but on all of them I've died hunting around in the rear end-end of nowhere for oil or something.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I feel like an rear end cause it feels like this has been asked but I didn't see it in a search, but is there any good Android roguelikes out there? Tiles would be nice, less rogueish stuff (FTL, Rogue Legacy) is ok too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Brogue is simple enough that it works really well on Android, I play that a good bit. You could try Dweller which is similar and has tiles.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

packetmantis posted:

In CoQ, is there a guaranteed location for each of the glotrot cure items? I've gotten to that point a couple of times, but on all of them I've died hunting around in the rear end-end of nowhere for oil or something.

Yes, and plenty of non-guaranteed ones. I can find or make cure pieces manually in a few minutes, but I'm not sure anyone has adequately identified them in a wiki anywhere, and I'm certainly not spoiling it!

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I feel like an rear end cause it feels like this has been asked but I didn't see it in a search, but is there any good Android roguelikes out there? Tiles would be nice, less rogueish stuff (FTL, Rogue Legacy) is ok too.

Pixel Dungeon is the best Android game there is.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Farquar posted:

Topic of which I got to level 17 today and then the dwarf monks hosed my poo poo up.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Farquar posted:

I tried that the other day, I don't get how it works. I get destroyed by the starter enemies and am starving to death by like the 3rd floor with nothing of any use in my inventory, I must be doing something wrong, but no idea what.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Anyone else crazy about Desktop Dungeons? I realize it only sorta fits here but man the beta version of the game is so loving good. I wonder if I should start a thread?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A while ago I was bored and sketched up some tiles for Sil, based on oryx's Brogue tiles. Couldn't figure out how to get them in game without screwing up the text, so they're just a doodle I guess.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Unormal posted:

Naw, Qud is completely from scratch. I was mucking around with tile sets for awhile, but we've been working on a commercial roguelike for mobile devices for the last year or so, so there hasn't been many updates to Qud. We have been slowly diddling with it, we've got a pre-release with half a new dungeon and a mutation cost rebalance if anyone's interested. E-mail me at unormal@gmail.com and I can share the dropbox link to it.

Likely we wouldn't do tile-set support in Qud, but rather a new Qud-world game with graphics specifically in mind.

The latest download can always be found here: http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/

Ever thought about letting the community work on a tile set? Or has there just been no interest from the community to create one?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bob NewSCART posted:

Ever thought about letting the community work on a tile set? Or has there just been no interest from the community to create one?

You'd need more support for the engine to make it work, and I just never did it. The character->item mapping isn't close 1:1 so you can't just replace letters with object images. I didn't really care much about tile-set support when I wrote the first pass of the engine. I was trying for the best 16-color ascii ever. :D

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

goferchan posted:

Anyone else crazy about Desktop Dungeons? I realize it only sorta fits here but man the beta version of the game is so loving good. I wonder if I should start a thread?

You're talking about the paid beta? Someone mentioned how much it was improved over the free version at the end of the last thread but didn't go into any detail. Just post whatever here, I'm plenty curious.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Unormal posted:

You'd need more support for the engine to make it work, and I just never did it. The character->item mapping isn't close 1:1 so you can't just replace letters with object images. I didn't really care much about tile-set support when I wrote the first pass of the engine. I was trying for the best 16-color ascii ever. :D

I do think that CoQ ranks up with Brogue as the prettiest ascii I've ever seen, so good job. Tiles seem kind of unnecessary to me tbh.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

I do think that CoQ ranks up with Brogue as the prettiest ascii I've ever seen, so good job. Tiles seem kind of unnecessary to me tbh.

It's funny because the reaction is very bipolar; most people aren't meh on it. It's either love or OH GOD MY EYES THEY BURN. It's a very pictogram-based, busy dwarf-fortress-inspired take on ascii, and we've found that people who've learned to 'read' dwarf fortress are like "IT'S GREAT", but people who like much more functional almost-mathematical representations find it awesomely overbusy.

My goal with it was to see what I could do if I was back in the old days with a the display of an 8088 vga console (with a little more CPU and disk-space), and see how far I could take the display and usability without breaking the bounds of what a really old school display could have done.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
There should be a section for action based roguelikes which I beginning to become quite fond of. The ones that I can think of off the top of my head are Delver, Baroque, and Spelunky. But I would love to hear about more of them if there are any.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

blackguy32 posted:

There should be a section for action based roguelikes which I beginning to become quite fond of. The ones that I can think of off the top of my head are Delver, Baroque, and Spelunky. But I would love to hear about more of them if there are any.
I really like Super House Of Dead Ninjas myself, it's weird it's not that well known. Here is a link to the free version: http://games.adultswim.com/super-house-of-dead-ninjas-action-online-game.html. You can also buy a version with more levels and steam workshop on steam

Another platformer roguelike I really enjoy is wazhack but that's basically nethack from a different perspective, nothing actiony there

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

blackguy32 posted:

Tower Climb is a pretty solid one. Still not finished, but it's getting there.

*cough* I've still got to update the thread a lot. I will "soon".

Desktop Dungeons (the beta) is freaking awesome. It's pretty well a complete game, and they should just release the drat thing properly.

e: I was looking at the latest indiegamestand game, buy the developers Rake in Grass. They seem to be working on a new beat-em-up roguelike. Early video here.

It could be worth keeping an eye on.

e2: Also this. Car combat roguelike? :stare: Yes please.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

blackguy32 posted:

Red Rogue is fantastic and free. http://redrogue.net/