Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can guess the answer but would Porsche fly you a tech out to inspect it if you were a respected customer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cakefool posted:

I can guess the answer but would Porsche fly you a tech out to inspect it if you were a respected customer?

Ugh. Please! That is a used car. Those with new money...

Don't validate his parking.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

It says "Canepa" against it, which indicates it's been tuned by Canepa Design. If that's true, then yes, those numbers are perfectly reasonable.

Just about every 959 that came to the States went through Canepa. He did offer a package that went to 640hp and it probably has that, but there can be confusion about it as not all 959's got tuned by Canepa even though all were modified by them.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 6, 2013

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
My friend's built 1.8T MK II:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kNXSjFXsDc

Not only is every detail about this car perfect, but it also never sees trailers. He drives it to and from shows, events, drag racing, etc. Sits in traffic fine, goes up and down the motorway for long distances without a problem. Quite a machine.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Hrmmm that looks slightly SWB

Wat

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
^^ That's a Cadillac Seville Opera Coupe. I'm surprised any are still on the road.

Edit: Content:

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 7, 2013

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Which era has the best looking F1 cars?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got to go with the last wingless cars.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Sunday Punch posted:

I think I liked these the best over the years, the design seems clean and simple to me.

As F1 eras go though, I'm very much interested in seeing Rush when it comes out in a couple weeks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

A mate bought some new wheels. They are quite special.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've got to go with the last wingless cars.

In regards to F1, I think the beauty comes with pure function. The cars get prettier every generation IMO. There isn't a single surface that wasn't meant to be there.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

rcman50166 posted:

In regards to F1, I think the beauty comes with pure function. The cars get prettier every generation IMO. There isn't a single surface that wasn't meant to be there.

At the risk of raising the ire of The Worst Posters, I disagree. The cars of the late 1970s and early 80s (the ones with the double rear wings and whatnot) aren't exactly pretty, and the cars they've run in the last three or four years are pretty ugly too.

As for the prettiest cars, I would agree that the last wingless cars are the nicest, but the cars of the late 80s and early 90s are pretty nice too.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

MrChips posted:

At the risk of raising the ire of The Worst Posters, I disagree. The cars of the late 1970s and early 80s (the ones with the double rear wings and whatnot) aren't exactly pretty, and the cars they've run in the last three or four years are pretty ugly too.

As for the prettiest cars, I would agree that the last wingless cars are the nicest, but the cars of the late 80s and early 90s are pretty nice too.

Nah, it's cool. We all :allears: at F1 cars in some form or another.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I saw this the other day:

EDIT: gently caress huge.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Alarbus posted:

This is near Vergennes, Vermont, right? I used to drive by somewhat regularly.

if I am not mistaken that place works on lots of old exotics, and there were pictures of an old Ferrari v12 with a misfire that was diagnosed with a Pepsi can for part of a head gasket http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007/03/05/ferrari-v-12-repairnot/

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

MrChips posted:

Yeah, stuff like the double winged toleman which looks like they added the design of another car onto the back, and the X wings on the 90's cars, as well as the winglet messes that were the 2008 cars were pretty ugly.

If they kept the 2009 rules with the smaller fuel tank (in 2010 they banned refueling, so all the cars suddenly gained a foot in length to accomodate a tank that would do the whole race) but kept the 2008 spec rear wing they'd look super.

Like this:

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

Falken posted:

Like this:

I'm sure it looked really nice, before someone left it out in the sun too long and the plastic melted a little. That poor car. :(

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

I'm sure it looked really nice, before someone left it out in the sun too long and the plastic melted a little. That poor car. :(

It got left infront of Walkie Scorchie.

The MP4-24 wasn't the prettiest of cars, but you get my point i hope. The Brawn GP BGP001 would have looked beautiful with the 2008 wing.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

http://www.dailyturismo.com/2013/08/15k-v8-swap-1988-porsche-944-turbo-s-w.html

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The best F1 is fat tire snorkel F1 :colbert:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sunday Punch posted:

this era :smuggo:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I saw a couple of classic Mercs heading to the east bay today, not sure if something was going on or what, but this is a rare sight..(click for big).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I want something like that... mmm...
Also :lol: at the purist comments on the article.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Tyrs mostly bald? 'sall good bro" - Race scrutineer.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

What's the weight difference between the 2.5 Turbo and the V8? That's got to hurt the weight distribution.

Looks nice, but I wouldn't want to put a non porsche engine in my S2..

Also, that's like the first time I've seen aftermarket wheels that have suited the 944. Not even BBS wheels look 'right' on it.

Falken fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 8, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Falken posted:

What's the weight difference between the 2.5 Turbo and the V8? That's got to hurt the weight distribution.

Looks nice, but I wouldn't want to put a non porsche engine in my S2..

I can guarantee the LS is lighter than the cast iron I4 with all the wonderful early turbo tech in there.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Not bad then. Would be interesting to see if someone managed to shoehorn a 911 engine in. The only swap I'd bother with doing would be to get my hands on a 3.0 968 lump, and that would only be if mine grenaded.

Good gravy.

Falken fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 8, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Falken posted:

Newp. It's within about 50 lbs.

Falken posted:

Not bad then. Would be interesting to see if someone managed to shoehorn a 911 engine in.

It's been done, but you pretty much need to tear the front end apart because the flat 6es are so wide.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Falken posted:

The only swap I'd bother with doing would be to get my hands on a 3.0 968 lump, and that would only be if mine grenaded.

At that point wouldn't it be better to take the bits you like from your S2 and put them on the 968 instead?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

drgitlin posted:

At that point wouldn't it be better to take the bits you like from your S2 and put them on the 968 instead?

If you could get your hands on a clean 968, but in all likelihood they way you'd end up with a 968 motor is from someone who bought a wrecked one and already scavenged the 6-speed transaxle for their 944. There are those of us who are absolutely vultures for those 6-speeds.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Hmm, good point.

After reading that link I'm starting to think that 944 belongs in the other thread. Sure, a V8 conversion is AI, but the 944 Turbo S is a *properly* rare car, and handbuilt one from Porsche Motorsport at that.

Honestly it's like taking a matching numbers <insert musclecar variant they only made 100 of here> and putting an Ecoboost or VTEC engine in. Do that poo poo with a cooking model.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

drgitlin posted:

Hmm, good point.

After reading that link I'm starting to think that 944 belongs in the other thread. Sure, a V8 conversion is AI, but the 944 Turbo S is a *properly* rare car, and handbuilt one from Porsche Motorsport at that.

Honestly it's like taking a matching numbers <insert musclecar variant they only made 100 of here> and putting an Ecoboost or VTEC engine in. Do that poo poo with a cooking model.

1600+ produced. Not 50 like the guy in the comments section claims. Still I have that kind of "why did you do that...." uneasy feeling as well. About the same feeling I get when E30 M3s get engine swaps.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
The best F1:

Or the worst? You decide.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I've always liked Renault 2002-2007ish F1 livery.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

"Tyrs mostly bald? 'sall good bro" - Race scrutineer.

Slicks hadn't been invented yet, there's probably 4 inches of tread under there.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I have an incredible weak spot for this ugly thing.

Shamefully, that weak spot came from this dumb thing
Drag Strip

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

anonumos posted:

The best F1:

Or the worst? You decide.

The best, haters vacate.

Red Bull livery looks good on poo poo in general IMHO.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
When people close their eyes this is what they should imagine an F1 car looks like:

Clean lines, huge slicks, big aero, and loving Marlboro livery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
F1 needs to look like a spaceship.