Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biosludge
Mar 17, 2008
Thanks all for the grocery store recommendations! I'm off to stock up today ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbestos
Jun 2, 2004

Does anyone know a decent vegetarian or Indian place near Dulles, or not too far off route between Dulles, and I-270? The quality needn't be much better than noodles and co, or that sort of thing, but it should be palatable to the Indian palate, so to speak.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Asbestos posted:

Does anyone know a decent vegetarian or Indian place near Dulles, or not too far off route between Dulles, and I-270? The quality needn't be much better than noodles and co, or that sort of thing, but it should be palatable to the Indian palate, so to speak.

I'm a big fan of http://www.paradiseindiancuisine.com/index_pc.html off the toll road in Herndon, and I wish there was something as good near me in Arlington. They have meat and veg dishes; the Navratan Korma is my favorite.

There's also a http://www.paradisebiryanipointe.com/menu.php on the other side of the toll road, but it's not nearly as good imo. I'm not a big fan of http://www.minervacuisine.com/ despite hearing some good stuff about it. Finally there's http://www.supperclubofindia.com/ which I haven't tried, but has good reviews.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.

pr0k posted:

It'd be a hike for you, but GrandMart on rt 7 in sterling sells a lot of veg at cost to get people in the door.

Fairfax and Loudoun folks - what's the best ramen around here? We've been watching David Chang eat a shitload of ramen lately and have a hankering. Plug - Mind of a Chef is good tv.

If you're willing to drive, it's definitely Taan in Adams Morgan, not sure why the ratings on Yelp are so out of wack. Sakuramen's broth is pretty bland and as a Korean-inspired ramen joint they don't usually have pork belly or even chashu.

Daikaya Ramen's broth is better but the first bite into their chashu was pretty disheartening--lots of chewy, unrendered white pork fat. Taan has a loving rich tonkotsu-style triple stock ramen that comes with a huge brick of melt-in-your mouth, golden brown pork belly for $12.

Also their okonomiyaki is the best I've had in DC. Full disclosure though, I've given up twice trying to get through Toki's 2 hr. wait.

But closer to Fairfax I don't know what to say, the ramen at Blue Ocean Izakaya is salty as hell with few toppings and the newly opened Tanpopo Ramen House in Fairfax isn't great but okay for a quick fix since it's so close.

e: I get it, but the loud as slurping Dave does while he's still mic'd is getting to me

good electric fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 1, 2013

notmandatory
May 18, 2006
I'll be in DC with my mom and two friends who are vegan in a few weeks. None of my traveling companions are particularly adventurous eaters (no set tasting menus - my mom doesn't like menus with no choices. So that plus vegans means no Little Serow for me :sigh:). I'm thinking Rasika is a good option where they will have a variety of vegan options. Dukem is another good choice but I think Ethiopian might be too far out of their comfort zone (I'm actually not even sure how they'll feel about Indian). What are some other options that will have choices for vegans? My mom nixed Elizabeth's Gone Raw. She is willing to go to an all vegetarian place, but raw takes it too far. I can't find too many other fully vegetarian restaurants. I would love some suggestions that are more New American or European in style. I have been really wanting to try Palena, but they have virtually no vegan options in either the dining room or cafe. We're probably looking to stay a bit below that price range, anyway. Any other ideas that DC goons have are appreciated.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

notmandatory posted:

I'll be in DC with my mom and two friends who are vegan in a few weeks. None of my traveling companions are particularly adventurous eaters (no set tasting menus - my mom doesn't like menus with no choices. So that plus vegans means no Little Serow for me :sigh:). I'm thinking Rasika is a good option where they will have a variety of vegan options. Dukem is another good choice but I think Ethiopian might be too far out of their comfort zone (I'm actually not even sure how they'll feel about Indian). What are some other options that will have choices for vegans? My mom nixed Elizabeth's Gone Raw. She is willing to go to an all vegetarian place, but raw takes it too far. I can't find too many other fully vegetarian restaurants. I would love some suggestions that are more New American or European in style. I have been really wanting to try Palena, but they have virtually no vegan options in either the dining room or cafe. We're probably looking to stay a bit below that price range, anyway. Any other ideas that DC goons have are appreciated.
I think that Busboys and Poets would be a good option.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

notmandatory posted:

Red Hen? You'd have to book soon, though. Union Market might be an idea, you have quite a few options, although more lunch or brunch than in the evenings. I think Oyamel is reliably good. Izakaya Seki and Izakaya Kushi are both good Japanese places. Seki is a bit cheaper and mainly fries things, whereas Kushi is much bigger and does lots of things over small charcoal grills.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

notmandatory posted:

Rasika. It's pricy, but if that's not really an issue Rasika is your best bet. There are plenty of choices for every dietary restriction, and all the food is incredible. My family has tried Rasika, Oyamel, Zaitana's, Cuba Libre and a few other restaurants in the 3-3.5 star range and at every place we always say "Gee I wish we had just gone to Rasika." It's just so consistently great.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wachepti posted:

My family has tried Rasika, Oyamel, Zaitana's, Cuba Libre and a few other restaurants in the 3-3.5 star range and at every place we always say "Gee I wish we had just gone to Rasika." It's just so consistently great.

Agree with this 100%. Take your family there.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Can anyone recommend a place for my family and I to go for my 21st birthday? My dad is offering to take us to the Chart House in Old Town. Has anyone been there? Is it good? Particular dishes you recommend?

I've also been interested in trying out Filomena in DC for a long time but I have concerns about its loudness and ambience. Can anyone speak to those aspects?

Any suggestions are welcome. My favorite cuisine is anything Italian but I'm open to almost anything.

notmandatory
May 18, 2006
Thanks for the input. I have booked Rasika. Red Hen sounds great, but the menu they have posted online has just one starter and one side that might be vegan. I think we might go to Oyamel or Jaleo the other night (both because they have more veggie options than most, and because I love small plates). Still mulling it over, though. Busboys and Poets looks like a good lunch spot.

Any good ideas for a place where we could walk in on the later end Thursday night, preferably convenient to 295/50? We will be coming from BWI and don't want to book anything since flights can be unpredictable. This is before we meet up with the vegans, so meat heavy menus are fine. It looks like Red Hen is in the perfect location for this, is it possible to walk in and sit at the bar later on a weeknight?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Possible, not necessarily easy. If it doesn't work at Red Hen though, you've got a bunch of decent options within a block's walk.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Veritek83 posted:

Possible, not necessarily easy. If it doesn't work at Red Hen though, you've got a bunch of decent options within a block's walk.

That's not anything anyone would have said when we moved here a few years ago. Amazing how much has changed recently.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

That's not anything anyone would have said when we moved here a few years ago. Amazing how much has changed recently.

No kidding, right? I made it to Thai Xing last week. Holy hell was it good.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

notmandatory posted:

Thanks for the input. I have booked Rasika. Red Hen sounds great, but the menu they have posted online has just one starter and one side that might be vegan. I think we might go to Oyamel or Jaleo the other night (both because they have more veggie options than most, and because I love small plates). Still mulling it over, though. Busboys and Poets looks like a good lunch spot.

Any good ideas for a place where we could walk in on the later end Thursday night, preferably convenient to 295/50? We will be coming from BWI and don't want to book anything since flights can be unpredictable. This is before we meet up with the vegans, so meat heavy menus are fine. It looks like Red Hen is in the perfect location for this, is it possible to walk in and sit at the bar later on a weeknight?

I prefer Oyamel to Jaleo, and I also have a soft spot for Zaytinya. (Jose Andres, I love you.) But yeah, Rasika is hands-down the best out of all of them.

You can definitely get a seat at the bar at Red Hen on a weeknight. Only half the tables in the restaurant are open to reservations; the other half are for walk-ins, and the bar is always open for walk-ins. It's a little misleading to look at the reservations and think oh, no seats till 10, guess I'll go to Boundary Stone.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
I have a date tomorrow. Can anyone recommended a good sushi place that won't completely break my bank?

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
I just moved here from Texas. I have two questions:

1) Is there anyplace I can get decent BBQ brisket in this area? I went to Kangaroo Boxing Club recently, and while I overall really loved the place, the brisket... well, poo poo. Where I come from, that brisket might have gotten them killed. Not good at all. It was dry, tough, overcooked, and over-spiced (really disappointing!).

2) Is there decent pizza delivery in Rockville? I've tried a few, and frankly, they've made Domino's seem good.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Ate at Acadiana last night, and Red Hen just now, both were very solid.

El Miguel posted:

I just moved here from Texas. I have two questions:

1) Is there anyplace I can get decent BBQ brisket in this area? I went to Kangaroo Boxing Club recently, and while I overall really loved the place, the brisket... well, poo poo. Where I come from, that brisket might have gotten them killed. Not good at all. It was dry, tough, overcooked, and over-spiced (really disappointing!).

Hill Country is the closest you'll get, but it's expensive for what it is, and after going to Franklin in Austin, it seems pretty mediocre. DC is a BBQ wasteland for reasons I don't fully grasp.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Ate at Acadiana last night, and Red Hen just now, both were very solid.

Hill Country is the closest you'll get, but it's expensive for what it is, and after going to Franklin in Austin, it seems pretty mediocre. DC is a BBQ wasteland for reasons I don't fully grasp.

I have been pretty disappointed with all the BBQ I have tried so far.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

good electric posted:

If you're willing to drive, it's definitely Taan in Adams Morgan, not sure why the ratings on Yelp are so out of wack. Sakuramen's broth is pretty bland and as a Korean-inspired ramen joint they don't usually have pork belly or even chashu.

Daikaya Ramen's broth is better but the first bite into their chashu was pretty disheartening--lots of chewy, unrendered white pork fat. Taan has a loving rich tonkotsu-style triple stock ramen that comes with a huge brick of melt-in-your mouth, golden brown pork belly for $12.

Also their okonomiyaki is the best I've had in DC. Full disclosure though, I've given up twice trying to get through Toki's 2 hr. wait.

But closer to Fairfax I don't know what to say, the ramen at Blue Ocean Izakaya is salty as hell with few toppings and the newly opened Tanpopo Ramen House in Fairfax isn't great but okay for a quick fix since it's so close.

e: I get it, but the loud as slurping Dave does while he's still mic'd is getting to me

http://www.rens-ramen.com/

If you've got a car, take the Beltway to Wheaton and go to Ren's Ramen. Its atmosphere is much better for ramen (I was actually kind of put-off by the fact that Daikaya is so drat loud with their music) and the ramen is of uniformly high-quality. I like that Daikaya will char its vegetables a bit before putting them in the soup, but I think overall that Ren's Ramen produces a better tonshio broth. Oh, and Ren's has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better specials - the Bakudan Ramen is by far and away my favorite bowl of ramen ever, and has a surprising amount of heat for something produced by the Japanese.

Also, I've put Ren's Ramen to the test. I took a Japanese person there who does everything he can to retain his Japanese-ness (ramen is one of his favorite dishes, and he was training to be a chef once while he was still living in Japan), and Ren's met with his enthusiastic seal of approval (as enthusiastic as a Japanese person can be, that is).

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

A little late with this, but if anyone wants a good vegan-friendly bar, Galaxy Hut in Courthouse/Clarendon is amazing. Only place I've ever been that makes a better vegan cheesesteak than I can. Also they have tables where you can play Pac-Man.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sean_Miller posted:

What do you all recommend for Korean BBQ that's closer more to Fredericksburg/Stafford?

Is Honey Pig near there? Go to Honey Pig it is the greatest

mystes
May 31, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is Honey Pig near there? Go to Honey Pig it is the greatest
Honey Pig is in Annandale, along with 80% of the other Korean restaurants in the area.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

mystes posted:

Honey Pig is in Annandale, along with 80% of the other Korean restaurants in the area.

There are three Honey Pig locations but none within 40 minutes of Fredericksburg.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

FairGame posted:

A little late with this, but if anyone wants a good vegan-friendly bar, Galaxy Hut in Courthouse/Clarendon is amazing. Only place I've ever been that makes a better vegan cheesesteak than I can. Also they have tables where you can play Pac-Man.

I love Galaxy Hut. They recently added a fair bit of non-vegan stuff, too, and doubled the number of taps. Also: eggplant fries. One of these days I'll make it to Spacebar (same owners, Falls Church) for the expanded grilled cheese selection, but it's so close to Mad Fox and so far from a metro stop.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
If you're going to be in Fredricksburg gently caress Korean BBQ, go to Peter Chang's.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I just found out my parents scored reservations to Komi for my birthday. This is going to be epic.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
We left DC last Friday to move to Raleigh, and our last meal was at Growlers (which was where Hochi and I first met, thanks to this board). I'm going to miss DC's incredible diversity but not so much the traffic and overpopulation. I met a fair number of you guys in person, and I hope you come visit us in Raleigh, which has a totally bitching food scene.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I'm a DC native and visit Raleigh regularly. In fact, I'm in Raleigh now. It's becoming increasingly diverse here over the last few years.

I still can't bring myself to leave DC permanently but man it's tempting.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

TheLizard posted:

We left DC last Friday to move to Raleigh, and our last meal was at Growlers (which was where Hochi and I first met, thanks to this board). I'm going to miss DC's incredible diversity but not so much the traffic and overpopulation. I met a fair number of you guys in person, and I hope you come visit us in Raleigh, which has a totally bitching food scene.

I came here from Raleigh in 2005, but still go see family/friends often. Enjoy the BBQ! (personal rec: http://www.oletimebarbecue.com/ on Hilsborough or Snoopy's/Cookout if it's for a hangover) The food and beer scene there in general has blown up big time since I left.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Is there a good Brazilian restaurant in the DC area these days? (I'm not looking for the all-you-can-eat churrascaria type, but more traditional order from a menu type places.) I've tried Grill From Ipanema on a previous trip and wasn't blown away by it; is there a better option these days?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

drgitlin posted:

DC is a BBQ wasteland for reasons I don't fully grasp.

This is what pushed me into getting a smoker. I can already make pulled pork better then anywhere in the metro DC area. Brisket is my next challenge but I am sure anything will be better en the crap offered around here.

Mission BBQ on route 2 is ok but not worth the drive unless you are close.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I live in Southern MD, so trips to DC are infrequent and usually for a special occasion. If you guys are ever in La Plata I highly recommend Casey Jones, and my wife and I just checked out the Blue Dog Saloon and it was also amazing. Not DC proper but I figure this is the closest thing so ther eyou go.

Wachepti posted:

Rasika. It's pricy, but if that's not really an issue Rasika is your best bet. There are plenty of choices for every dietary restriction, and all the food is incredible. My family has tried Rasika, Oyamel, Zaitana's, Cuba Libre and a few other restaurants in the 3-3.5 star range and at every place we always say "Gee I wish we had just gone to Rasika." It's just so consistently great.

I took my wife to Rasika on a date and it was just incredible. I also took my wife to Marcel's for our anniversary, and both the food and the dining experience was incredible. Definitely not something I could do on a regular basis, but as a romantic meal right before a show it was perfect.

Tweek posted:

I have a date tomorrow. Can anyone recommended a good sushi place that won't completely break my bank?

I know this is late but I was floored when I went to Tono Sushi right off the Woodley Park metro. Amazing freshness and lots of reasonable prices. Anothe restaurant that I was really impressed with around there was Open City.

notmandatory
May 18, 2006
Has anyone been to Doi Moi? Since I can't go to Little Serow while I'm in town this time, it seems like it might hit the same craving without the restricted menu. Their website links to a vegan menu, which appears to be very short (and contains one item with honey?), but may be enough to hit the spot. Even if it's not great for vegans, I'd love to know if anyone has had a chance to check it out yet.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

bunnielab posted:

This is what pushed me into getting a smoker. I can already make pulled pork better then anywhere in the metro DC area. Brisket is my next challenge but I am sure anything will be better en the crap offered around here.

Mission BBQ on route 2 is ok but not worth the drive unless you are close.

My brisket was always so-so and a tad dry until I read up on the technique of foiling - pull the meat before it reaches the "stall" and wrap it in foil, then put it back on the heat. Got my first brisket smoke ring that way. It was practically melting when I went to slice it.

The other technique is to cook it even lower and slower, but I don't want to babysit a big slab of meat overnight.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

notmandatory posted:

Has anyone been to Doi Moi? Since I can't go to Little Serow while I'm in town this time, it seems like it might hit the same craving without the restricted menu. Their website links to a vegan menu, which appears to be very short (and contains one item with honey?), but may be enough to hit the spot. Even if it's not great for vegans, I'd love to know if anyone has had a chance to check it out yet.

I've never heard of that place but it looks pretty neat I'm gonna have to check it out. Pretty much any restaurant with a vegan menu (even if it's small) piques my interest.

notmandatory
May 18, 2006
Thank you, goons, Rasika was amazing! We got the palak chaat, which they call their signature dish and was great, but the real star of the table was the okra. I was seriously tempted to order another round. I also loved the assorted chutneys and pappadums. It was a great away to start the meal. My mom got the seabass, which was perfectly cooked with a nice crispy skin. The only dish I was a bit meh about was the paneer mirch ka salan. It was perfectly good, but just didn't have too much going on, flavor wise. Still, an overall fantastic meal.

We also had a fantastic meal at Doi Moi. The peanut infused bourbon cocktail was so good. The mushroom chive dumplings were delicious, and the dipping sauce didn't overwhelm them as it do often does. Salt and pepper squid was crispy and perfectly cooked with a hint of heat from some fresh chopped chilies on top. The som tam was a perfect combination of sweet, tart, and spicy. We also got stir fried noodles with crab. There were nice fat lumps of crab, but the noodles were the real star (and I love crab. The noodles were just that good!). About two inches wide, they absorbed the sauce and had the perfect texture. Then we got the bun cari, a chicken curry soup. It was fantastic, although a bit hard to eat out of its too-small bowl. I loved the broth. My mom decided this was her favorite, so I didn't get too much of it. unfortunately we didn't have room for dessert, so I didn't get to try the soft serve or fried bananas. Writing this is really making me want to go back, though, so maybe I'll get back there someday to try more.

Now I think I might have to go get Indian, Thai or Vietnamese for lunch. It won't be as good as what I had last weekend, but just writing about these places has my mouth watering again. I'm not sure I can face a day old half hamburger!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
DC finally has acceptable BBQ! The former pitmaster from Hill COuntry has moved into Revive catering on Florida Ave (people will tell you this is Bloomingdale but it's on the south side of Florida Ave so it's Truxton Circle).

Picked up some stuff there last night, and it was very good. Not a huge fan of their sauce, but neither the ribs nor the brisket needed it.

Also I'm really sad that Taylor killed my favorite sandwich with their new menu.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

the_chavi posted:

No kidding, right? I made it to Thai Xing last week. Holy hell was it good.

Took my wife to Thai Xing for her birthday. Their tom yum soup was easily the best I've had but every dish that followed it was disappointing.

We'll give Little Serow a try but nothing in DC has come close to our favorite Thai place in the U.S. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Went to Izakaya Daikaya this evening. It was pretty good, but I think Seki and Kushi are both a little better.

• Locked thread