Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Snowdens Secret posted:

If that F-35 is afterburning while refueling then I don't even know what

It is.

If your next statement is "That's retarded" - it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
When I look at that image I think of America and how gently caress yeah we will refuel at afterburner in a transforming aircraft for the navy's army's air force and I was thinking GODDAMN HELL YEAH gently caress YEAH AMERICA.
:usa:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's gotta be shopped. Source?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Snowdens Secret posted:

Marines don't have Hawkeyes

If you're wondering if a C-2 full of fuel can STOL off an LHA, I really doubt it. If you're depending on big-deck assets for refueling, you've blown the pretense of the VTOL F-35 in the first place.

I meant for general carrier work.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Omi-Polari posted:

That's gotta be shopped. Source?

It is. :smug: I fell for it, even with the angled afterburner. :negative:
Click

AlexanderCA fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 8, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Marines *are* doing MV-22 tanker tests right now; that much is real. I can find reports that Boeing is planning to test with F-35Bs but haven't gotten beyond testing with F-18s, though that report is a couple weeks old.

But yeah, it's a photoshop; it's using the prototype which I don't think had a refueling probe like the production models do. But it's not entirely implausible

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Couldn't they convert a Hawkeye hull into a specialized tanker variant or something so they don't have to fart around with buddy refueling?
Aircraft carriers are very space limited; every dedicated tanker is one less attack aircraft. Not to mention that during most scenarios US is likely to utilize 100% of a carrier's attack aircraft, they're likely to have USAF tanker support anyway. In the other "go it alone" scenarios, having more attack aircraft becomes even more important.

Plus, the F-18E has one very large advantage over any other dedicated USN or USAF tanker, and that's survivability. You can operate an F-18E with buddy stores WAY closer to contested airspace than you could risk operating a KC-130 or KC-2 because it's still a highly capable attack aircraft with self defense capabilities. So you can top off your other F-18s and F-35s closer to the enemy coast.

grover fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 8, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AlexanderCA posted:

Speaking of hilariously expensive gently caress ups waiting to happen:

Saved as "marineaviation.jpg"

Edit: I don't care if it's fake, we all know this is going to happen anyway.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Can Hornets even hold enough gas to tank more than, say, one other plane?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Can two Ospreys refuel each other simultaneously? :iiam:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Mortabis posted:

It doesn't matter, if you have to get 2 hornet distances away, you can get 1 hornet there with 3 hornets (or 2 if the tanker can itself tank/land/refuel/etc).

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

shyduck posted:

Can two Ospreys refuel each other simultaneously? :iiam:

An infinite chain of Ospreys refueling each other.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Something something Osprey centipede

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Koesj posted:

Something something Osprey centipede

Ospreyboros.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mortabis posted:

I did a big effortpost about this in the Cold War thread, but the answer is: no, not really. It's useful in a few edge cases, but mostly it's a ridiculous idea in any sort of high-tempo operations.

wdarkk posted:

Ospreyboros.
Propeller/fuel hose interaction event.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 8, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Dead Reckoning posted:

I did a big effortpost about this in the Cold War thread, but the answer is: no, not really. It's useful in a few edge cases, but mostly it's a ridiculous idea in any sort of high-tempo operations.

In the same vein, wiki says that the payload of a V-22 is about 10 tons. Is that enough gas to be significant either?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the osprey in eve looks like the osprey in the marines

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Rude. posted:

Whyyyyyyyyy

I would repost that bit about the KC-97 refueling supersonic fighters and bombers but seriously aefsdfdwa.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Couldn't they convert a Hawkeye hull into a specialized tanker variant or something so they don't have to fart around with buddy refueling?

Or at least put out an RFP for a jet tanker for the Navy and Marines to use?

(who am I kidding, the loving thing would never be delivered, just like all the KC-135 replacements we aren't getting yet)

Seriously, the A-3 wasn't that loving long ago.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 9, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mortabis posted:

In the same vein, wiki says that the payload of a V-22 is about 10 tons. Is that enough gas to be significant either?

Probably, for a 2-ship of Hornets. It depends what they're doing, obviously, but it's not a laughably tiny onload. But again...that gets you two Hornets.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mortabis posted:

A Super with an all-fuel load has about the same load as the last dedicated tanker the navy fielded, the KA-6D.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Randomly went to a little known museum in the area, saw this bad boy:

Saw this on the back side of another item:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

gently caress

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

IDR's version of Airwolf.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Does the Osprey have any advantages over a Chinook? Other than possibly top speed.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Range? I think right at the beginning of OEF some Ospreys did something really awesome and seized an airfield? Might have been CoD or something tho.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Baloogan posted:

Range? I think right at the beginning of OEF some Ospreys did something really awesome and seized an airfield? Might have been CoD or something tho.

Twice the range and about 100 knots faster, slightly higher service ceiling.

Pretty much everything else, the Chinook seems to do better.

\/\/\/

Basically, yeah.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 11, 2013

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

hailthefish posted:

Twice the range and about 100 knots faster, slightly higher service ceiling.

Pretty much everything else, the Chinook seems to do better.

So it just gets to where it's going to crash further out, faster? :thumbsup:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a good example of a Konkurs ATGM being used in Syria, one of the nicest launches I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQzJ2WpwA_g

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Here's a good example of a Konkurs ATGM being used in Syria, one of the nicest launches I've seen

hey you're a good dude mate thanks for doing your thing <3

some of these syrian dudes have better phones than me

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

What the gently caress are those people thinking chilling in the open with engine off.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

One thing I find really interesting about the conflict is the way in which Jihadists use social media. One small but interesting thing is the recent use of animated gifs by Jabhat al-Nusra in their numbered reports (more of which you can find on their Twitter account). Here's some interesting recent examples

Click Beelay posted:

hey you're a good dude mate thanks for doing your thing <3

some of these syrian dudes have better phones than me

Thanks, I've actually started a Google+ and Facebook page for Syria related posts that don't fit Twitter or my blog. Mostly videos of war stuff, and the occasionally report.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Brown Moses posted:

is that a white flag of surrender flying on that tank or is flying white banners on tanks just a thing?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Slashrat posted:

is that a white flag of surrender flying on that tank or is flying white banners on tanks just a thing?

It's the middle stripe of the Syrian flag, you can see the red and black one as well.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

evil_bunnY posted:

What the gently caress are those people thinking chilling in the open with engine off.

The fluttering flag is like a 'kick me' sign!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

ded posted:

Does the Osprey have any advantages over a Chinook? Other than possibly top speed.

Top speed by a huuuge margin, ceiling, and deployability.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Thanks, I've actually started a Google+ and Facebook page for Syria related posts that don't fit Twitter or my blog. Mostly videos of war stuff, and the occasionally report.

Holy poo poo at the .gif

Just followed you on FB, I don't know many people irl that even think about the conflict but for those that do I'll b e sure to pass on the link.

Good poo poo!

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

One thing I find really interesting about the conflict is the way in which Jihadists use social media. One small but interesting thing is the recent use of animated gifs by Jabhat al-Nusra in their numbered reports (more of which you can find on their Twitter account). Here's some interesting recent examples

I can't be the only one to see this

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zinc68 posted:

I can't be the only one to see this

You're not.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Brown Moses posted:

God drat how far away were they there? I don't think I ever heard the explosion.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

gleep gloop posted:

God drat how far away were they there? I don't think I ever heard the explosion.

I think it's the distant bang you can hear at :45, which would make the delay something like 8-9 seconds, so ~3km maybe? Wikipedia says Konkurs have a range of 4km so it sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always

Bob A Feet posted:

Top speed by a huuuge margin, ceiling, and deployability.

also massive advantage in crashability and crew murder

• Locked thread