Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Chamale posted:

Everything I did in my TAS segment is possible to do on an unmodified copy of the game, such as catching a glitch, fighting the gyms in (almost) reverse order, and fighting Professor Oak's team of level 111 Pokémon. Lots of the glitches exist because the early Pokémon games strained the Gameboy hardware and shuffled around data to handle everything with only 8 kilobytes of RAM.

You could practically reprogram the game if you know the right combination of memory corruption glitches and button presses.

This video is physically possible to do on a stock Gameboy Color (if you're Data from Star Trek or something): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UnB1fomvAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Cr1tikal posted a new N64 corruption video recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9gg1Knzh5w

The DK64 part just kills me every time.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Pneub posted:

This video is physically possible to do on a stock Gameboy Color (if you're Data from Star Trek or something): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UnB1fomvAw

I'm pretty sure he presses up+down or left+right in that video, which would be mechanically impossible on a stock gameboy color...

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

take_it_slow posted:

I'm pretty sure he presses up+down or left+right in that video, which would be mechanically impossible on a stock gameboy color...

If you're a robot, you can press up then down at 120 hertz to make it register up+down.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Someone told me once that the Nintendo cert process now includes handling physically impossible inputs like that, because they once got a complaint from some kid who broke his controller in such a way that it produced such inputs and it made his games malfunction.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

haveblue posted:

Someone told me once that the Nintendo cert process now includes handling physically impossible inputs like that, because they once got a complaint from some kid who broke his controller in such a way that it produced such inputs and it made his games malfunction.
Yeah, I sort of feel like the modern cert process is stifling the opportunities for things like tool-assisted speedruns. Even as early as the PS1 days, you couldn't pass cert if your game crashed when loading accessing a memory card filled with random bytes or a save that was corruped by pulling the memory card out when it says not to.

The last game I personally had with a bugged-out save that made life interesting was Final Fantasy 3 for SNES. It was actually a pretty cool inventory glitch, because it gave me stacks of unique endgame weapons and a few stacks of zero items that disappeared when you tried to use them. Nowadays, they'd just throw up a "save corrupt, start over" message.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm up to about page 14 of this thread and I have to ask.

What's so loving hard about programming a wrestling game? Open world, vast universe, endless customization, AI, NPC's everywhere and branching storyline stuff I can understand. But, god, a wrestling game is pretty much 4 characters at most, a small ring, a background, a few weapons (ladders and chairs) and a move and animation set that can't be more complicated than Tekken or something. Nothing's even really moving that fast.

What lends wrestling games to this level game breaking weirdness?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

My guess would be for just that reason, big studios like EA but their B teams on it, leading to worse quality.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Apr 2, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

carry on then posted:

My guess would be for just that reason, big studios like EA but their B teams on it, leading to worse quality.

I figure the same but, Christ, the environment is just so loving tiny I can't see why it's hard for even the B Team.

It might be one of those thing where they know they've got the license and people will buy it regardless. I hate wrestling but some of those games looks like they'd be sort of fun to goof around with at a party or something. It's just hard for me to understand how they can gently caress up what basically amounts to 4 men in box when even a "B team" can manage to render an entire city.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm up to about page 14 of this thread and I have to ask.

What's so loving hard about programming a wrestling game? Open world, vast universe, endless customization, AI, NPC's everywhere and branching storyline stuff I can understand. But, god, a wrestling game is pretty much 4 characters at most, a small ring, a background, a few weapons (ladders and chairs) and a move and animation set that can't be more complicated than Tekken or something. Nothing's even really moving that fast.

Quick, jerky movements, interaction with objects, complex bounding hulls and poor quality control.

I suppose licensed games tend to be worse than other games because the developers figure that the main draw of the game is that it's got your favourite characters and poo poo, not that it's actually any good. Quality control resources are assigned accordingly.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

BiggerBoat posted:

I've never programmed a wrestling game, but here's how I imagine it.

When you get into the meat of the gameplay, a lot of it breaks into one of two categories - Grapple or Strike. A straight strike is simple, punch or kick your opponent. A grapple then gets more complicated, and in most of the games I've played it breaks into button combinations that have you do strike a, strike b, throw 1, throw 2, hold 1, hold 2. You put in the combination that you want, and out pops the canned animation. Repeat until the end of the match.

And in simple terms, that's similar to how a fighting game works. You and your opponent are fighting in a 2D plane, trading blows and power moves until one lifebar is depleted.

But, when you add a small 3D fighting area, location sensitive changes to animation, and different rules, the computer can get more easily confused.

In the corner, R1 will make you climb the ropes, unless it's a tag match, in which case it tags your partner in. Unless your opponent is within a 5ft radius of your partner, in which case he's going to be busy throwing illegal punches, possibly disqualifying you. Unless the ref is knocked out.

It's a lot for the computer to juggle, and that's one fairly common situation that might arise in a game. And mistakes are probably very common, but there are error checks where rather than simply blowing up or shutting down, the game logic makes a best guess as to what should happen, and 90% of the time gets it right.

The glitches happen when the logic encounters an error, and puts the wrong value out. That's when you get weird things like Big Show teleporting out of the ring and about a block away from the arena. So instead of him entering the ring and the system showing him at x:50 y:50 z:20, it moved him to something crazy like x:500 y:50 z:20.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Counterpoint: MDickie managed to make a wrestling game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Counterpoint: MDickie managed to make a wrestling game.

Not a very good one mind you.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Not a very good one mind you.

Well that's a given, but you'd think with that much more talent and resources you could get poo poo done.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

None of that is any more complicated than Halo or Mass Effect or whatever.

It has nothing to do with them being wrestling games. The reason the games are so buggy is that they release a new one every year, which is a really short development cycle. Most big-budget games are in development for 2-3 years or more. Also the WWE series is programmed by Yuke's, a company that specializes in licensed shovelware.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I still have this screenshot laying around from years and years ago. A bit after World of Warcraft came out, a friend of mine picked up the game. Since it was pretty much his first time playing any MMO I rolled a baby character to do the newbie area with him and show him how things worked.

In case anyone here doesn't know, in most MMOs when you attack a monster, if he has any allies standing close they will generally get drawn into the fight as well. I was explaining this to my friend, showing him how you need to be careful attacking monsters that hang out in groups, and he goes off to shoot a Defias bandit (A little newbie zone monster).

Suddenly the entire large area turns and charges straight at us. There's absolutely no way for such a large area to aggro, and I never saw it happen again. It must have been some crazy rare bug on Blizzard's end, but it was hilarious.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Enos Shenk posted:

I still have this screenshot laying around from years and years ago. A bit after World of Warcraft came out, a friend of mine picked up the game. Since it was pretty much his first time playing any MMO I rolled a baby character to do the newbie area with him and show him how things worked.

In case anyone here doesn't know, in most MMOs when you attack a monster, if he has any allies standing close they will generally get drawn into the fight as well. I was explaining this to my friend, showing him how you need to be careful attacking monsters that hang out in groups, and he goes off to shoot a Defias bandit (A little newbie zone monster).

Suddenly the entire large area turns and charges straight at us. There's absolutely no way for such a large area to aggro, and I never saw it happen again. It must have been some crazy rare bug on Blizzard's end, but it was hilarious.

I've had similar things happen in single player games too. I remember once I was using a lightning spell that jumps between groups of enemies in a cramped city where separate groups of monsters were still kind of close together. So I zapped one group, I guess the lightning jumped to a one member of the others and pretty soon I had a whole city full of monsters attacking at once to the point that the console couldn't handle it and started lagging.

I'm not sure if that was really a glitch though as it was a combination of bad design and bad strategy on my part.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Total War: Rome II just came out and has some hilarious glitches. First of all, the ships weren't programmed right:

The facial textures also weren't done very well:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Brother Jonathan posted:

Does every game have to have a Zombie mode these days?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Something that has happened to me twice in my lifetime has been the old Windows solitaire putting in a duplicate ace for god knows what reason. I used to have a screenshot where you could see two aces of hearts, but it has been lost moving between computers several times since.

That's got to be the last game I would have ever expected to have a glitch.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Brother Jonathan posted:

Are you sure they aren't just zombie legionnaires? Seriously that's kind of frightening.

e:f;b

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A zombie game set in Ancient Rome would actually be kind of interesting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phlegmish posted:

A zombie game set in Ancient Rome would actually be kind of interesting.

I wonder if they would even care or know that they were zombies. Snarling, brainless, savage cannibals are probably some of the nicer ways Ancient Romans would have used to describe Barbarians.

Sargs
Aug 15, 2001

Poyekhali!

haveblue posted:

I worked in the games industry back in 93; we got a fax from Sega's cert team saying something like "If you stamp on the joypad, the game crashes", so the whole testing for unexpected/illegal inputs has been going on a long time. :corsair:

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Specifically, it's not loading the highest LOD for models even when you're basically up in their faces.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lobok posted:

I wonder if they would even care or know that they were zombies. Snarling, brainless, savage cannibals are probably some of the nicer ways Ancient Romans would have used to describe Barbarians.

The Zombie Survival Guide has a bit where the Romans fight off a zombie horde. It's easier than a normal barbarian army because the zombies come towards the legion from a single direction.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Lobok posted:

It might be tricky though since as I understand it Romans traditionally cremated their dead, at least until the big conversion to Christianity.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Brother Jonathan posted:

Oh my goodness.

These men have seen horrific things. Things that haunt them every day. Forget the thousand yard stare, these guy's stares go on for miles.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Landerig posted:

Oh my goodness.

These men have seen horrific things. Things that haunt them every day. Forget the thousand yard stare, these guy's stares go on for miles.
Be careful when you stare into the skybox, for sometimes, the skybox stares back.

Kimmalah posted:

It might be tricky though since as I understand it Romans traditionally cremated their dead, at least until the big conversion to Christianity.

Well you could set it post-Catachumen.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Rujo King posted:

Be careful when you stare into the skybox, for sometimes, the skybox stares back.

Well you could set it post-Catachumen.

Ahahaha. Would be good seeing this in motion.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Speaking of texture issues, TF2 will go occasionally go crazy for people with dying video cards or OS compatibility issues. The textures on virtually everything will become mixed up. Here's a video of it happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4grnu6qXYI

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

miscellaneous14 posted:

Speaking of texture issues, TF2 will go occasionally go crazy for people with dying video cards or OS compatibility issues. The textures on virtually everything will become mixed up. Here's a video of it happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4grnu6qXYI

Can't decide if the word "FRIENDS" popping up when he backstabs someone creepy or funny. :stare:

Texture glitches like that are so funny though, it's like what would happen if the character took LSD.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Rujo King posted:

I can only see Willem Dafoe when looking at this.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

What's so loving hard about programming a wrestling game?

Pretty much any game is difficult to make, there are things that can go wrong that border on the downright bizarre. There's nothing quite like a heap corruption bug to strike the fear into the heart of a developer, as they can be reasonably easy to cause but affect something completely unrelated to what triggered it. Hell, they may not even show any problems until hours after the trigger actually happened.

Almost every game I've ever worked on has been a completely broken piece of poo poo until the last month or so of development, at which point the game all starts to come together as if by magic. With games like this, the development cycles are normally aggressively short (Probably in the range of 6-12 months) and are manned by a skeleton crew for a majority of the development. Also, since they're licensed annual titles, there's absolutely no wiggle-room when it comes to pushing back the release date if something goes wrong, so by the time those months are up, that's it. You have no choice but to patch up what you can and throw it out the door. There's no time to do that polish that every game needs to get it to a durable quality.

Although the fact that so many of them seem to never even improve over time, even if each iteration has minimal changes, makes me think that whoever handles the wrestling games treats them either as a punishment for poor workers or as an initiation for novice programmers. With a decent team the game would be improving each year as they managed to fix the horrible things that went wrong last time, but the fact that a lot of them seem to get even MORE broken seems to hint at the team being constantly rotated, so nobody knows what needs fixing or even how to fix it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

AntiPseudonym posted:

Pretty much any game is difficult to make, there are things that can go wrong that border on the downright bizarre. There's nothing quite like a heap corruption bug to strike the fear into the heart of a developer, as they can be reasonably easy to cause but affect something completely unrelated to what triggered it. Hell, they may not even show any problems until hours after the trigger actually happened.

Almost every game I've ever worked on has been a completely broken piece of poo poo until the last month or so of development, at which point the game all starts to come together as if by magic. With games like this, the development cycles are normally aggressively short (Probably in the range of 6-12 months) and are manned by a skeleton crew for a majority of the development. Also, since they're licensed annual titles, there's absolutely no wiggle-room when it comes to pushing back the release date if something goes wrong, so by the time those months are up, that's it. You have no choice but to patch up what you can and throw it out the door. There's no time to do that polish that every game needs to get it to a durable quality.

Although the fact that so many of them seem to never even improve over time, even if each iteration has minimal changes, makes me think that whoever handles the wrestling games treats them either as a punishment for poor workers or as an initiation for novice programmers. With a decent team the game would be improving each year as they managed to fix the horrible things that went wrong last time, but the fact that a lot of them seem to get even MORE broken seems to hint at the team being constantly rotated, so nobody knows what needs fixing or even how to fix it.

Also, there's little incentive to put a team on them for improvement because people will keep buying the game each year regardless of the bugs and the glitches.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
And half the time the bugs and glitches are hilarious, value adding "features" anyway!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

And half the time the bugs and glitches are hilarious, value adding "features" anyway!

Yes, fewer people would have heard about Skate 3 if it wasn't so easy to glitch. Speaking of which,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSQo0ccqFr0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt-ayYYgKlQ

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
My favorite Skate (2&3) glitch video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg5AHdeXYwE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I've never been able to make Skate 3 glitch the gently caress out like that. The most I can get it to do it kill the frame-rate and throw objects everywhere when you stack them on top of each other and climb buildings with objects.