Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
After I pulled the engine it looks like I got a slight leak on the return oil line for the turbo. Anyone know the part number off hand for a new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
My wife and I are talking about getting a WRX soon. We're looking at the new ones but also considering a used one (08 or newer probably) but I don't know what to look for as signs of abuse on these things since almost all of them are modded in some way. Reliability is pretty a important factor in the decision to buy another car so I want to be smart about this without losing out on the fun. Any advice?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Well there's something that I didn't consider - this air dam thing behind the grille that diverts air to the intake.

You can see it on the left here:

The other side fits fine. But I can't put the Hella 500ff on the side with the intake.

How damaging to my engine would cutting this be? How much of my warranty would be voided?

I may just have to get smaller lights.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Well there's something that I didn't consider - this air dam thing behind the grille that diverts air to the intake.

The other side fits fine. But I can't put the Hella 500ff on the side with the intake.

How damaging to my engine would cutting this be? How much of my warranty would be voided?

Probably not as damaging as having your plastic 'grille' melt which will likely happen with hella 500ff's right behind it.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

FogHelmut posted:

Why not just get a projector based fog light (such as: http://www.jegs.com/i/Hella/288/H71...CFcdxQgodMD0AnA ) instead of those hugely unnecessary 500ff's? Did your WRX not come with fog lights? Or are you just wanting the LOL rally car look?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Amandyke posted:

Why not just get a projector based fog light (such as: http://www.jegs.com/i/Hella/288/H71...CFcdxQgodMD0AnA ) instead of those hugely unnecessary 500ff's? Did your WRX not come with fog lights? Or are you just wanting the LOL rally car look?

It's regular Impreza. I have fog lights. I need additional driving lights for when I drive down my mom's gravel driveway.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

It's regular Impreza. I have fog lights. I need additional driving lights for when I drive down my mom's gravel driveway.

No modifications required!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Since I'm a fan of overkill when it comes to lighting, I'll try to help. It's too new to track down parts in a junkyard so if you'd want to reverse this mod anytime soon I think you're stuck with buying a new grill from Subaru.

The intake temps might rise a little but it shouldn't change anything too much, you're just cutting the little air dam that helps push cold outside air into the intake from my understanding. Reduced flow over the radiator shouldn't be too bad either, the lower grill draws in air for the radiator as well.

For the grill melting, I'd probably stick to only running then while in motion. They're big lights so the heat should be a little more spread out and it might be ok to run then while stationary but no guarantees. Once you have them installed maybe take a thermal probe and see just how hot the grill gets.

Good luck, and worst case you'd just need to get a new grill.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

No modifications required!

I was leaning more towards this

Bajaha posted:

Since I'm a fan of overkill when it comes to lighting, I'll try to help. It's too new to track down parts in a junkyard so if you'd want to reverse this mod anytime soon I think you're stuck with buying a new grill from Subaru.

The intake temps might rise a little but it shouldn't change anything too much, you're just cutting the little air dam that helps push cold outside air into the intake from my understanding. Reduced flow over the radiator shouldn't be too bad either, the lower grill draws in air for the radiator as well.

For the grill melting, I'd probably stick to only running then while in motion. They're big lights so the heat should be a little more spread out and it might be ok to run then while stationary but no guarantees. Once you have them installed maybe take a thermal probe and see just how hot the grill gets.

Good luck, and worst case you'd just need to get a new grill.

Realistically, the grille costs more than the lights, so I'm probably not going to risk it. I'm thinking of going with Hella Micro FF, or some Chinese knockoff LED light bars.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Aux lights own gently caress the haters.

Forester guys run 2x 500s behind the grill with out issues.

I've also seen them behind the grill on a bugeye RS without issue.

I run 4 500s on a light bar on my RS and it does not overheat at all. The bigger concern would be as said melting the plastic. I'd check out a smaller LED bar if that is a concern. Measure your space and pick up one that fits accordingly if you don't want to stuff 500s in.

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!

two_beer_bishes posted:

My wife and I are talking about getting a WRX soon. We're looking at the new ones but also considering a used one (08 or newer probably) but I don't know what to look for as signs of abuse on these things since almost all of them are modded in some way. Reliability is pretty a important factor in the decision to buy another car so I want to be smart about this without losing out on the fun. Any advice?

Imo, try to go newer than 2010 if you can. I have an 08 and don't get me wrong I absolutely love the car but there are better things available for the 2010+, and I like the look of the 10s+ better with the factory wide body setup.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I would just get a new one. My son has the 2012 Hatch version, and it's great because it performs well and he can put his 4 year old daughter in the back seat without issue.

And he knows it wasn't abused :)

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

I got a 2013 in May new because used ones were going for a few thousand less than a new one. If reliability is an important factor go new. You'll get the warranty and as daslog says you'll know it wasn't abused.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
After a 2 year hiatus, I'm finally back in positive manifold pressure.

Related, the clearcoat has all but completely peeled off the hoodscoop. Has anyone had experience just re clearing these plastic pieces or is a complete repaint the only way to make it look right?

Also, good solutions for plugging holes after removing the wing? I was thinking of just doing some rubber grommets and painting/plasti-dipping the tops.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dayman posted:

Related, the clearcoat has all but completely peeled off the hoodscoop. Has anyone had experience just re clearing these plastic pieces or is a complete repaint the only way to make it look right?

Also, good solutions for plugging holes after removing the wing? I was thinking of just doing some rubber grommets and painting/plasti-dipping the tops.

Congrats! You might be able to find someone with a same color non-spoiler trunk lid that wants to trade. It's worth putting up an ad on NASIOC in your area or craigslist for that matter.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

VelociBacon posted:

Congrats! You might be able to find someone with a same color non-spoiler trunk lid that wants to trade. It's worth putting up an ad on NASIOC in your area or craigslist for that matter.

Trade is probably a no-go. The wing has a big-ol hole in it. Possibly some available if the owner has switched to CF, good idea.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for the tips guys. We drove a 2011 at the dealer today and despite it being a base WRX with only a few extras, they are asking 27k for it which is $100 less than the brand new 2013 with full warranty! They didn't seem too willing to work with us on the price of the new one so I might check out another dealer. They didn't even mention the 2014 as an option for us either.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I paid 23.5K for a brand new 2011 (base model hatch) in August 2010, that is insane. There's a discount thread on NASIOC if you're on the east coast.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

dayman posted:

My friend used bog after he took the spoiler off of his car, and after it was painted you have to know it was there to see the difference.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

blargle posted:

I paid 23.5K for a brand new 2011 (base model hatch) in August 2010, that is insane. There's a discount thread on NASIOC if you're on the east coast.

Any chance you have a link? I didn't see anything like that when I was looking earlier.

edit: I found it, thanks for the heads up

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 10, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Hey Cat Terrist, where can we get subaru parts in Aus? As far as I can tell subarugenuine parts is USA only. Bonus points if they sell parts for 98 Imprezas.

You in Queensland> Rising Sun is a good place to start or I think AllthingsSubaru. I'll ask Kaptain Ballistik as he's been dealign with this more than I have been lately. Well.. I will once he's back from doign the WRC

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Hey Cat Terrist, where can we get subaru parts in Aus? As far as I can tell subarugenuine parts is USA only. Bonus points if they sell parts for 98 Imprezas.

They'll ship to Australia, though shipping is pretty expensive. But the fact that parts are so much cheaper there usually means you're still saving a ton of money. Just gotta watch out for any slight differences due to the whole LHD vs RHD, but most things are fine.

I ordered replacement mirror gussets for my Forester from them last year, even with the shipping cost it was still less than half the price vs buying at the dealership here.

Znyp
Jan 23, 2003
I'm looking at 2004ish Legacy or outback versions, the 2.0 or 2.5 litre engine. Usually these have run around 60-80k miles, any suggestions on what to look for? Whats typical errors on these cars?

si
Apr 26, 2004
2004ish is hard to answer, since 2005 is a major revamp. Are you looking specifically at 3rd gen (2004 & earlier), or 3rd and 4th gen around 2004?

If so, 2005 is a pretty major leap forward in most senses.

Edit: just noticed you said 2.0 - are you outside of the US?

Znyp
Jan 23, 2003

si posted:

2004ish is hard to answer, since 2005 is a major revamp. Are you looking specifically at 3rd gen (2004 & earlier), or 3rd and 4th gen around 2004?

If so, 2005 is a pretty major leap forward in most senses.

Edit: just noticed you said 2.0 - are you outside of the US?

Yeah, I'm in Norway.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
For roof racks on either a 2013 or 2014 WRX wagon, is it something I'll have to order from the dealer or can I easily install it myself? I can't figure out what the car comes with for mounting something. I see yakima has options for 300-400 which looks like everything, or I can get the subaru one for $160 online but I don't know if the car comes with the mounting hardware.

e: Jamal, what options do you have available?

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 10, 2013

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

two_beer_bishes posted:

For roof racks on either a 2013 or 2014 WRX wagon, is it something I'll have to order from the dealer or can I easily install it myself? I can't figure out what the car comes with for mounting something. I see yakima has options for 300-400 which looks like everything, or I can get the subaru one for $160 online but I don't know if the car comes with the mounting hardware.

e: Jamal, what options do you have available?

The OEM ones come with all the hardware you need--they fit into the recessed rails on the roof.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Getting my Power FC install + tune done next Wednesday, and my DCCD pro should be shortly after that. Looking forward to trying it out after!

I've been having a funny issue - was coming down a long fairly steep hill with an off-camber slow left turn (for about 15 seconds). It evened out and I gave it some gas and around 3.5k RPM it acted like it had a fuel cut and showed the CEL for 2-3 seconds. Is this due to the gas being away from the pickup? The tank was nearly full.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

VelociBacon posted:

Getting my Power FC install + tune done next Wednesday, and my DCCD pro should be shortly after that. Looking forward to trying it out after!

I've been having a funny issue - was coming down a long fairly steep hill with an off-camber slow left turn (for about 15 seconds). It evened out and I gave it some gas and around 3.5k RPM it acted like it had a fuel cut and showed the CEL for 2-3 seconds. Is this due to the gas being away from the pickup? The tank was nearly full.

Sound like a misfire to me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Amandyke posted:

Sound like a misfire to me.

I thought when you misfire that it just flashes the CEL for a half second? I'm running US 92 octane on the advice of the shop (over the Canadian 94), maybe that's why.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I bought stuff! Beefy 50mm stuff!

Also put my roof on, with 3m 5200 never-will-come-off-ever marine adhesive.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
So I'm finally working on the 2000 Forester with broken timing belt (and yes bent valves).

It's amazing the care the engineers put into the design of the engine. There are no blocked fasteners. You can tell they located things where they are for easier access - each individual job must have been modeled on an engine for these cars. It's so darn easy to work on it's unbelievable. Even all of the wiring for the intake manifold is on it's own separate wiring harness that can be simply unplugged to get it out of the way.

I have the intake manifold, the A/C just lays aside still connected, same with the Power steering, and alternator off. Soaking the exhaust studs to take down the exhaust manifolds - strangely they don't look rusty - but I don't trust them!

Maybe I'm just too used to working on Volkswagens, Toyotas and Nissans.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

0toShifty posted:

So I'm finally working on the 2000 Forester with broken timing belt (and yes bent valves).

It's amazing the care the engineers put into the design of the engine. There are no blocked fasteners. You can tell they located things where they are for easier access - each individual job must have been modeled on an engine for these cars. It's so darn easy to work on it's unbelievable. Even all of the wiring for the intake manifold is on it's own separate wiring harness that can be simply unplugged to get it out of the way.

I have the intake manifold, the A/C just lays aside still connected, same with the Power steering, and alternator off. Soaking the exhaust studs to take down the exhaust manifolds - strangely they don't look rusty - but I don't trust them!

Maybe I'm just too used to working on Volkswagens, Toyotas and Nissans.

They're really simple.

We leave the intake on just unplug it, then just pop the PS and flip it to the side, same with AC on the otherside, then pop exhaust/bellhousing/fuel/motor mounts and lift from top using the intake. It really is a simple car. AC bolts are the only thing that I find to be a pain.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Usually the exhaust studs get rusted onto the nuts. Most people just hit them with an impact to take the entire thing off. The studs are like 2 bucks apiece, and it makes your life a lot easier to just get new ones at NAPA.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

AC bolts are the only thing that I find to be a pain.

Just that one fucker under the intake! They make everything else easy, it's like they either forgot or threw their hands up and said "This is the best we can do."

My 2.5RS is my third car, and each car I had owned (3rd gen Camaro and then a Dakota) needed work to be roadworthy. I bought the 2.5RS with a snapped timing belt and bent valves, and after seeing how easy it was to work on and fun to drive, I was hooked.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Don't forget the single bolt on the intake manifold that is inexplicably red loctited. What the gently caress, Subaru?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Don't forget the single bolt on the intake manifold that is inexplicably red loctited. What the gently caress, Subaru?

No manifold danger for Subarus.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
So I got the heads off. Looks like all 16 of those valves are bent.

So do I:

A. Scotchbrite the heads and put new valves (about $200) in the heads myself.

B. Take the heads to a machine shop and have them resurface and replace valves for unknown dollars.

C. Buy remanufactured cylinder heads from the Advance I work at for $319 each side.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

0toShifty posted:

So I got the heads off. Looks like all 16 of those valves are bent.

So do I:

A. Scotchbrite the heads and put new valves (about $200) in the heads myself.

B. Take the heads to a machine shop and have them resurface and replace valves for unknown dollars.

C. Buy remanufactured cylinder heads from the Advance I work at for $319 each side.

A. Is the way I did it on my 2.5RS (same engine). I used a 3M abrasive plastic disc on a die grinder. The correct way is to use a razor blade because the abrasive will create dust and leave tiny particles in the oil passages that will make short work of your bearings. I didn't have a problem.

I don't think you need to have your heads resurfaced unless you overheated the engine. Option C. is a time/money deal, I can't answer that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
That's a good price on re-manufactured heads. The Machine shop did my heads for 700.