Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Chaltab posted:

Clearly they do, even despite the trailers showing levels that weren't in 3D Land. I can't name how many times I heard people refer to New Super Mario Bros Wii as a remake of NSMB on the DS. I guess a lot of people were so mad that it wasn't Super Mario Galaxy 3 that they just assumed it was a remake of 3D Land and stopped paying attention? I don't know. I also hear people calling A Link Between Worlds a remake of ALTTP. I guess it's just that after three straight years of bad press for Nintendo, people just assume the worst?

The levels may be different but if you've played Super Mario 3D Land, it looks probable that you've pretty much already played this game. All that's new is the catsuit, and probably some spots on the new levels where you need it.

Strange Matter posted:

Nintendo shoots themselves in the foot by not calling it the GameTesseract.

I think it would be cool if they just called it The Nintendo, and made a big chunk of their old first-party games available on VC from day 1. Obviously that won't happen because Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

The levels may be different but if you've played Super Mario 3D Land, it looks probable that you've pretty much already played this game. All that's new is the catsuit, and probably some spots on the new levels where you need it.

This is demonstrably untrue as the level trailers have show multiple obstacles and gimmicks like the fat dinosaur (which isn't a Yoshi upon googling) and the tubes which were not in 3D Land. Also 4-player cooperative gameplay. This also discounts the stuff that was in older games (like Chargin' Chuck) but wasn't in 3D Land.

I can understand being disappointed in the reveal, especially if you were expecting a Galaxy, but they've shown a fair amount of new content and features. Not to mention that the levels themselves being different is a pretty important difference in any game. It is however very clearly not a port of a 3DS game unless your definition of port is remarkably wide.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 9, 2013

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

TheScott2K posted:

I think it would be cool if they just called it The Nintendo, and made a big chunk of their old first-party games available on VC from day 1. Obviously that won't happen because Nintendo.
I don't have a WiiU (yet), but my question is does it have the full Wii Virtual Console available for download on it yet? Or at all? I have a feeling that the answer to this question is "no".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chaltab posted:

Clearly they do, even despite the trailers showing levels that weren't in 3D Land. I can't name how many times I heard people refer to New Super Mario Bros Wii as a remake of NSMB on the DS. I guess a lot of people were so mad that it wasn't Super Mario Galaxy 3 that they just assumed it was a remake of 3D Land and stopped paying attention? I don't know. I also hear people calling A Link Between Worlds a remake of ALTTP. I guess it's just that after three straight years of bad press for Nintendo, people just assume the worst?

I think it's because of how late Nintendo announces the full titles/details on their games with just vague titles before that. Like for the longest time A Link Between Worlds was just "Link to the Past 3DS" and so on.

Renwood
Jul 4, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

I don't have a WiiU (yet), but my question is does it have the full Wii Virtual Console available for download on it yet? Or at all? I have a feeling that the answer to this question is "no".

Wii U does have its own Virtual Console platform, but it's come with a brand-new round of trickle releases. Give it another two years and we may be up to speed on all the "important" VC releases. Only upside at the moment is when they do re-issue an existing VC game on the Wii U, if you purchased that game on the original Wii, you can pick it up at a discount. It'd be better if it were a free upgrade, of course, but... something something.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Renwood posted:

Wii U does have its own Virtual Console platform, but it's come with a brand-new round of trickle releases. Give it another two years and we may be up to speed on all the "important" VC releases. Only upside at the moment is when they do re-issue an existing VC game on the Wii U, if you purchased that game on the original Wii, you can pick it up at a discount. It'd be better if it were a free upgrade, of course, but... something something.
Yeah, that's what I figured. It's one of the problems with Nintendo introducing a fully featured online marketplace a la Steam to their consoles. Nintendo would need to launch it with a reasonable well fleshed out existing library in order to not make it seem like a hilariously empty wasteland, which would cause people to turn away from it. But as you pointed out, something something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I think it's because of how late Nintendo announces the full titles/details on their games with just vague titles before that. Like for the longest time A Link Between Worlds was just "Link to the Past 3DS" and so on.

Also it literally has the same overworld as A Link to the Past so I don't know how anyone can smugly act like the people getting confused are completely out of it.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Strange Matter posted:

To add to this. If you sign in with your Nintendo account do you get to keep all the games you bought on the virtual console for the Wii on your Wii U? Or do you have to buy it all over again?

I have a feeling the answer is: "Nintendo."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Al Borland posted:

To add to this. If you sign in with your Nintendo account do you get to keep all the games you bought on the virtual console for the Wii on your Wii U? Or do you have to buy it all over again?

I have a feeling the answer is: "Nintendo."

There is an app to transfer your licenses from the Wii to the Wii U. It's annoying but you get to keep almost all your games. (Lost Winds, an early Wiiware game, doesn't transfer due to some stupid licensing issue.) They run in Wii compatibility mode so no Gamepad.

Literally every Wii VC game is still available to buy in Wii mode. They haven't yet gotten more than a handful of Wii U gamepad compatible titles up though.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 9, 2013

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
This all is just completely beyond the pale. I told myself that I'd buy a WiiU after Pikmin came out, then I said I'd do it after the price dropped, but now I can't in good conscience support Nintendo's efforts with the machine that betrays such an utter lack of understanding towards the state of the industry and what their own fans want. And this is coming from the guy who's owned every Nintendo product since the Gameboy (besides the Virtual Boy).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Nintendo needs Kirby's Air Ride 2.

That will save this console. :yayclod:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ImpAtom posted:

Literally every Wii VC game is still available to buy in Wii mode. They haven't yet gotten more than a handful of Wii U gamepad compatible titles up though.

I thought the Donkey Kong Country series was removed for some odd reason.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fallom posted:

Also it literally has the same overworld as A Link to the Past so I don't know how anyone can smugly act like the people getting confused are completely out of it.

Yeah this was me for a while, where I thought it was just a Link to the Past remake and Nintendo was being really dishonest about calling it a sequel. I still kinda think they are because even in the trailers, there are bosses that were from A Link to the Past.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think it wasn't so much the launch lineup itself that was bad but the knowing dread among core gamers that the Wii U just wasn't going to be getting ports once the real next gen started. Similar to how PS2 hype helped kill the Dreamcast. Even though things have since turned out to probably not be the case (the biggest games coming being things like Watchdogs that will also have current gen releases and a general upgrade in downporting abilities make the Wii U capable of handling at least some form of most big non-online-centric upcoming multiplats) it was sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy because third parties have largely dropped Wii U multiplat support for "core" games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I thought the Donkey Kong Country series was removed for some odd reason.

A couple of titles have been removed for licensing issues like the TMNT games IIRC, but they're the same on Wii/Wii U.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Yeah this was me for a while, where I thought it was just a Link to the Past remake and Nintendo was being really dishonest about calling it a sequel. I still kinda think they are because even in the trailers, there are bosses that were from A Link to the Past.

Honestly it looks like they got half way through a remake before deciding to cobble together enough new elements to justify declaring it a sequel.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
What are the odds of it being a legitimately decent game versus a quick cash-in that alienates fans of the original?

The GBA remake and its endless parade of "hyah! Hyah! Hyah!" was almost more than I could bear.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Almost Smart posted:

What are the odds of it being a legitimately decent game versus a quick cash-in that alienates fans of the original?

The GBA remake and its endless parade of "hyah! Hyah! Hyah!" was almost more than I could bear.

Very little, sadly. I've been so disappointed with Zelda since after Twilight Princess.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Very little, sadly. I've been so disappointed with Zelda since after Twilight Princess.

This, I have 0 confidence in the 3DS Link being good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Link to the Past is one of my favorite video games. :(

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
The last good Zelda game was Wind Waker.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You guys have no idea what fun is, do you? Minish Cap was fun. Phantom Hourglass was fun. Skyward Sword was fun (Fi was annoying). Come on, Skyward Sword had Goblin King David Bowie strutting across his dialogue as if he were early-years Tim Curry! How do you look at that and say Wind Waker was the last good Zelda?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Controls completely killed Phantom for me, same with Spirit Tracks.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
In a perfect world, Bethesda would be making the next Zelda game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I am Reverend posted:

:frogout:

I hate skyrim and basically all of their other games. Zelda games are well-designed adventures with tight controls and tightly designed dungeons. Bethesda games are just ughh

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
From software filled every niche I wanted Zelda to. Zelda is obsolete.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Alteisen posted:

Same here. My hand often got in the way of the direction I was headed on the screen. There was absolutely no reason to have the controls that way.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hate skyrim and basically all of their other games. Zelda games are well-designed adventures with tight controls and tightly designed dungeons. Bethesda games are just ughh

I quit the last Zelda game I played because the overworld was a under designed bland mess. There felt like there was no substance to most of the game outside of the dungeons.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Alteisen posted:

Guess you should have brought the good (Gamecube) version then.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

I am Reverend posted:

Zelda definitely needs a kick in the pants, since I think the last few console games have been sort of weak, but Bethesda would be a terrible fit for the series. They haven't shown anything that would suggest they could make a good Zelda game.

From Software would be a better candidate, since the Souls games are a lot closer to Zelda, but even that is kind of far off.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
A western company could probably bring that breath of fresh air Zelda's been lacking for the past decade. Unfortunately, Nintendo.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
There really is nothing wrong with Zelda considering they still sell a crapload. I just figured that I had outgrown Zelda.

I used to be able to get by with having the dungeons being fun, but now I feel like I need so much more. I need more cohesiveness to the game. I think I have more fun doing the stuff outside of the dungeons than in them now a days. For example, that ghost town in Twilight Princess was awesome, the water dungeon was not.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

KittyEmpress posted:

That will save this console. :yayclod:

It would save it in my heart. :unsmith:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Bobnumerotres posted:

See now I know this is trolling when you say Zelda games have tight controls, since Skyward Sword exists.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Bruceski posted:

You guys have no idea what fun is, do you? Minish Cap was fun. Phantom Hourglass was fun. Skyward Sword was fun (Fi was annoying). Come on, Skyward Sword had Goblin King David Bowie strutting across his dialogue as if he were early-years Tim Curry! How do you look at that and say Wind Waker was the last good Zelda?

Nintendo threads are the only place where I see people accused en masse of not knowing what fun is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Nintendo threads are the only place where I see people accused en masse of not knowing what fun is.

Man, you never visited a Saint's Row thread then.

Honestly any game with flaws overcome by some form of simple to play strength usually gets it. EDF was another one I recall seeing people being accused of being funhaters for disliking.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 9, 2013

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bruceski posted:

I found all those games to be tedious slogs, Phantom Hourglass in particular. A couple charming characters here and there doesn't make up for mindless fetch quests and other such busywork, nor does it make up for overworlds that are blatantly just windy paths to dungeons rather than being interesting settings on their own.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

A Link to the Past is one of my favorite video games. :(

If you want to play A Link To The Past, it'll be serviceable as a glorified emulator of that game, I assume. Unless new features make it worse, ala Sonic The Hedgehog Episode 4.

Bruceski posted:

You guys have no idea what fun is, do you? Minish Cap was fun.
I said since after Twilight Princess. Minish Cap was awesome. :colbert:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

There really is nothing wrong with Zelda considering they still sell a crapload. I just figured that I had outgrown Zelda.

Yes, there's nothing wrong with making mediocre, uninspired games, as long as they keep selling due to brand appeal. Isn't that why Nintendo's in this mess to begin with?

Ages, Seasons, Four Swords, Minish Cap. Just get Capcom to make a new Zelda game, instead of waiting five years for Nintendo to make yet another bland, formulaic game bogged down with clunky motion/touch-scren controls and idiot-proof puzzle design and helper hints every few minutes.

Apparently the Link to the Past sequel has the same overworld as well as the same bosses, so it sounds like a Master Quest with a graphical polish. There hasn't been a 2D game with a proper overworld and without a lovely dungeon that you need to revisit for a decade, so this is something, at least.

E: VVV I'm going to go back to the original Zelda, and wonder what it would be like if the modern games were more like it, rather than playing like a tour bus ride through Hyrule, where you stop every so often to be told about the things you already knew, and occasionally get off to go through a dungeon or have a toilet break.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 9, 2013

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

That loving Sned posted:

Yes, there's nothing wrong with making mediocre, uninspired games, as long as they keep selling due to brand appeal. Isn't that why Nintendo's in this mess to begin with?

Wind Waker HD, a port of a 10 year old game, is going to serve as a massive LoZ palate cleanser for me.

just the idea that it has come to that point makes me kind of sad. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

That loving Sned posted:

Ages, Seasons, Four Swords, Minish Cap. Just get Capcom to make a new Zelda game, instead of waiting five years for Nintendo to make yet another bland, formulaic game bogged down with clunky motion/touch-scren controls and idiot-proof puzzle design and helper hints every few minutes.

That Capcom is long gone, friend. They would probably hand the title off to Ninja Theory and then we would have Link smoking a cigarette as he called Ganon a "pig fucker" before brandishing his twin revolvers, Master and Sword.

• Locked thread