Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there some kind of good guide for dummies on using the Auto-ISO on Nikon? I've been doing manual ISO on Aperture priority, and then manually adjusting the ISO until the meter gives me an exposure time I'll be happy with.

(Wrote this half a year ago)

It helps to think of Auto ISO as a complement to Aperture/Shutter Priority to complete Scott Petersen's (pbuh) Photographic Triangle.

Aperture Priority lets the user lock down aperture and ISO by letting shutter speed float as needed to get a correct exposure.
Shutter Priority lets the user lock down shutter speed and ISO by letting the aperture float.
Auto ISO lets the user lock down aperture and shutter speed, by letting the ISO float. Unfortunately it also tends to over ride the other two modes (shutter priority in particular), because ~Nikon~.

For example, when I'm at the dog park shooting some terrier chasing a ball, I know I need a shutter speed of 1/1000s, which usually means I'll need to bump the ISO. I set the minimum speed in Auto ISO to 1/1000, choose the max ISO it'll reach (say 3200), then set the camera to f/5.6 and shoot shoot, knowing the shutter speed won't go below 1/1000. If it's really bright out and that's still too slow for a good exposure even at ISO 100 then the camera will still use 1/1250 or whatever it needs.

One nice thing about it on the 3100 is that the camera is allowed to select ISO settings between stops. If it's too dark for ISO 400 the user can only bump up to ISO 800, but the camera can choose ISO 640 if it wants.

Now, let's say it's starting to get dark, and you want to ratchet down to 1/250 or so for some close-ups. No problem, go to shutter priority, select 1/250 and... you can't. That's because you selected 1/1000s in Auto ISO and you can't override it without turning it off, because ~Nikon~.

It's a fantastic deal for action/sports/dog watching, but its set-and-forget nature can bite you in the rear end when that's exactly what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Here's some unasked-for advice for anyone who has just picked up their first DSLR.

First, get ahold of the many-times-aforementioned Understanding Exposure. When you think you've got a handle on the exposure triangle, grab your camera and dive into the menus.
- Turn off the beeps. All of them. Nobody else needs to know you've achieved focus confirmation.
- Turn off the flash. No, try again - make sure it's actually loving turned off and WILL NOT pop up because the camera thinks its little GN-13 pop-up will be able to correctly expose both the lurking-in-shadows presenter and the big PowerPoint screen from 20 metres away.
- Learn what ALL the buttons do. You don't need to know what your program line is, but you do need to know that if you push *that* button a menu full of poo poo you don't care about is going to open up, but if you push *this* button you can change your ISO (which you now understand thanks to Petersen).

This post brought to you by that jackass at the back of the room using his weak-rear end pop-up flash and his way-too-dark kit zoom on his clearly new-to-him DSLR all through the opening presentation of the scientific conference I'm at. Kit zooms certainly have their place, but that place is not the back of big dark room without any external flash.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

Here's some unasked-for advice for anyone who has just picked up their first DSLR.

First, get ahold of the many-times-aforementioned Understanding Exposure. When you think you've got a handle on the exposure triangle, grab your camera and dive into the menus.
- Turn off the beeps. All of them. Nobody else needs to know you've achieved focus confirmation.
- Turn off the flash. No, try again - make sure it's actually loving turned off and WILL NOT pop up because the camera thinks its little GN-13 pop-up will be able to correctly expose both the lurking-in-shadows presenter and the big PowerPoint screen from 20 metres away.
- Learn what ALL the buttons do. You don't need to know what your program line is, but you do need to know that if you push *that* button a menu full of poo poo you don't care about is going to open up, but if you push *this* button you can change your ISO (which you now understand thanks to Petersen).

This post brought to you by that jackass at the back of the room using his weak-rear end pop-up flash and his way-too-dark kit zoom on his clearly new-to-him DSLR all through the opening presentation of the scientific conference I'm at. Kit zooms certainly have their place, but that place is not the back of big dark room without any external flash.

This is all God's honest truth. If you need focus-confirm, set your camera to focus-priority AF, or look for the green dot in the viewfinder.

Also bear in mind that your popup flash, firing at Full Retard power levels, is only supposed to work for subjects 10-15 feet away. If that.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

ExecuDork posted:

God, this. I went to a lighting workshop last year, and had to listen to the guy next to me beeping with every damned click of the shutter. Nothing says "I put it on the green-box and leave it there forever" more than your camera beeping.

ExecuDork posted:

BUT: know how to use it, if you have to. Because sure as hell, one day you're gonna be somewhere without a flash and need to get the shot, and you're gonna want to know how to add some fill flash, or how to bounce with a business card. As for the business card thing, it really does work. I used it when I was a guest at a wedding last year, and it was absolutely the difference between getting the shot, and having no shot at all. It aint perfect, but it beats using the built-in flash head on.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I do the business card trick fairly often. Blinds me every time though.

It's also useful for fill flash if you dial it down a bit.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
While we're talking about flash, anyone have a recommendation for a good first flash purchase? I have a Canon T3i

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Yongnuo YN560-III for manual, or if you really want TTL, a YN468-II. I have a 468 and it's awesome, but I use TTL less and less as time goes on, and off camera manual more and more. My next flash will be a 560.

Buy a 560II or III, learn to use manual flash, and use the money you save on a set of cowboystudio triggers to play around with.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Spime Wrangler posted:

Yongnuo YN560-III for manual, or if you really want TTL, a YN468-II. I have a 468 and it's awesome, but I use TTL less and less as time goes on, and off camera manual more and more. My next flash will be a 560.

Buy a 560II or III, learn to use manual flash, and use the money you save on a set of cowboystudio triggers to play around with.

The Yongnuos are an amazing deal if you don't need TTL. The build quality is surprisingly nice.

Bartleby
Sep 23, 2004

Special needs since 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Oh man, I had this just yesterday for the first time, the beeping at least. But generally I am horrified that this slide capturing is now becoming a big thing. Every presentation, and every loving new step on a slide. And all the iPads being wielded too. gently caress you all.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

people who hold up their ipads to take pictures of stuff are the worsttt

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Bartleby posted:

Oh man, I had this just yesterday for the first time, the beeping at least. But generally I am horrified that this slide capturing is now becoming a big thing. Every presentation, and every loving new step on a slide. And all the iPads being wielded too. gently caress you all.

This is getting away from "My first DSLR" territory and into "Tales from the Conference", but yes, absolutely. I don't know why every, or any slide has to be photographed, just pay attention to the drat presentation and if you really want to ponder it later, ask the presenter for a copy of their PowerPoint slides. I've also seen people (thankfully not at this conference) walking around the poster presentations, just photographing every poster regardless of whether or not the author / presenter is standing right there!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

404notfound posted:

Why wouldn't you take a photo with your iPad if you already had it on you at a conference and were too lazy to ask for the Powerpoint presentation?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

404notfound posted:

Those are the second worst people in photography, they have been replaced by this new sect of insufferable camera user.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/96793993/hasselnuts-hasselblad-camera-iphone-digitalback-ki

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Hahaha, the comparison photos look the same except one has a bunch of vignetting.

I mean 35mm adapters worked in the same way so I imagine this will work too, but drat they did a bad job of making a comparison shot.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Bartleby posted:

Ugh, this poo poo drives me nuts as well. Don't most conferences have some sort of no photography policy? All of the meetings I've been to have a confidentiality statement, and a no photography policy.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

http://peopletakingpictureswithipads.tumblr.com/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's worth trying once, if only for the whoa factor of having a 10" viewfinder.

Only once, though.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

1st AD posted:

Why wouldn't you take a photo with your iPad if you already had it on you at a conference and were too lazy to ask for the Powerpoint presentation?

Because you look loving ridiculous taking a picture with a device nearly as large a clipboard.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I present at scientific conferences at least once a month. There typically is a policy that excepts an "official" photographer / record keeper / stenographer.

My second slide is usually some variation of "pdf version of available upon request." If I see the same person taking repeat photos I don't hesitate to call them out. Public shaming works in some communities.

Topical: I bought a D7000 based on this sub's advice but whoops (not camera's fault, a shipping container dropped on my gear pallet) . It got destroyed in transit to a project site and I'll have to get a new one. I only got to use it maybe 20 shots. Insurance claim filed.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Today I bought way more camera than I've ever come close to holding (a used Pentax K100D) for a required class. Thanks for this thread, from its first post down through the subsequent replies. The aperture/ISO/shutter speed breakdown in the OP is one of the most clear and concise on the web that I've found all day and just might get me through my first assignment.

My only contribution to date is that the link to the K5 (http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/dslr/K-5_Black) in the OP is broken.

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 11, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Today I bought way more camera than I've ever come close to holding (a used Pentax K100D) for a required class. Thanks for this thread, from its first post down through the subsequent replies. The aperture/ISO/shutter speed breakdown in the OP is one of the most clear and concise on the web that I've found all day and just might get me through my first assignment.

My only contribution to date is that the link to the K5 (http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/dslr/K-5_Black) in the OP is broken.

Any class that requires a pentax of any kind, is a class worth droppin :snoop:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Musket posted:

Yes, there has never been a good photography class ever.

*lights k1000 on fire*

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Musket posted:

It's more my budget that requires it, class just requires a DSLR. Lucky for me, I don't know enough about cameras to feel slighted!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

It's more my budget that requires it, class just requires a DSLR. Lucky for me, I don't know enough about cameras to feel slighted!

Don't worry, you will :v:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Someone will show up with a 1d.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Congratulations, the K100D is a fine camera that will teach you the basics of photography if you're willing to learn.

Musket posted:

Also, using a Pentax will develop your skill at ignoring fools. This comes in handy in many areas of life.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Someone will show up with a 1d.
And they will utterly fail to learn anything in the class.

EDIT: Why are there so many cat-based avatars?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

because cats own, duh

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Glad to hear it helped! And thanks for catching that link, I'll get it fixed tomorrow (it's a pain to edit large posts on an iPhone).

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

Someone will show up with a 1ds.

ftfy

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine
Got understanding exposure and a pentax remote shutter release from Amazon today :woop:

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine
This morning there was a beautiful sunrise with the sky being a very rich, deep blue and clouds with very bright reds and oranges.

I took several photos of this but none of them captured the blue - it ended up being either a baby blue or dull blue - but not like what I was able to see with my eyes.

The reds and oranges kinda flatly came through, but not at the same intensity as visually.

Tried a variety of apertures and shutter speeds - small apertures with long shutter speeds looked best to me, also it was best a little overexposed according to my light meter in the camera.

What am I missing for capturing colors? I have tried a few sunrise/sunsets the last couple weeks and all of them seem dull in terms of colors. I have read a few sunrise/sunset articles, but they don't seem to suggest anything regarding this - I am doing longer exposures with a tripod and the image is sharp, just dull colors in the full range of aperture-shutter settings.

Maybe white balance? I have it set for either sunny or shady.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Redleg posted:

This morning there was a beautiful sunrise with the sky being a very rich, deep blue and clouds with very bright reds and oranges.

I took several photos of this but none of them captured the blue - it ended up being either a baby blue or dull blue - but not like what I was able to see with my eyes.

The reds and oranges kinda flatly came through, but not at the same intensity as visually.

Tried a variety of apertures and shutter speeds - small apertures with long shutter speeds looked best to me, also it was best a little overexposed according to my light meter in the camera.

What am I missing for capturing colors? I have tried a few sunrise/sunsets the last couple weeks and all of them seem dull in terms of colors. I have read a few sunrise/sunset articles, but they don't seem to suggest anything regarding this - I am doing longer exposures with a tripod and the image is sharp, just dull colors in the full range of aperture-shutter settings.

Maybe white balance? I have it set for either sunny or shady.

A polarizing filter will help get the deeper blues. Maybe increasing the saturation will help with the reds and oranges (this can be done in post-processing if necessary). Basically, the sensor isn't capable of properly exposing the entire scene. So whatever its focusing on it's trying to depict correctly while over/under exposing the rest of the scene which is where the colors are not showing up correctly to your eyes.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

In addition to that, you could also try decreasing the luminance of blue when post-processing to help bring out your skies. This is an article that gave me some good starting points when I first started working with Lightroom, the technique is in the first tip:
http://photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials/post-processing/10-quick-and-easy-lightroom-tricks-every-user-should-know/

I still use that technique regularly.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Meter on the sky and set -1 to -2 EV compensation.

Comedy "Sunset" scene preset.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Is there any reason not to buy the student version of Lightroom 5 if I am eligible? Any hidden drawbacks?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
There's fine print where you can't profit off of anything you make with it I think, but other than that it should be identical to the retail version.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Wario In Real Life posted:

There's fine print where you can't profit off of anything you make with it I think, but other than that it should be identical to the retail version.

Thanks I figured something like that. Good thing I am to terrible to make anything someone would actually pay for and if I should ever get that good I imagine they will have a new version out.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Wario In Real Life posted:

Man. Coming off of the 30 day trial I was planning on buying the student version, but now I'm feeling like I should drop the extra $50 and just get the full "real" version if that's the case. They really do get their hooks into you with the trial.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Shellman posted:

Man. Coming off of the 30 day trial I was planning on buying the student version, but now I'm feeling like I should drop the extra $50 and just get the full "real" version if that's the case. They really do get their hooks into you with the trial.

How the hell are they going to enforce that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

spog posted:

How the hell are they going to enforce that?

Some people enforce themselves.

• Locked thread