Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

HitTheTargets posted:

Actually, the biggest issue I have is Lili's +2 needing an additional cost. You're essentially going to be sacking all your creatures as soon as you play them just to plus your plus guy, so that you can get back the creatures you sacked. I don't know what your intent is, but it'd read better to me as "+2: Draw a card. If it's a creature card, discard it."

The intent is that it works well with things that like dieing like doomed travelers or gravecrawlers, and also that she'd do the opposite of protecting herself. The idea as far as how she'd play is that you'd plus her once, then minus a few times to build up your board, then start plussing to go for the ultimate. Your idea is interesting, but I think it kind of encourages playing her in a deck with no creatures as a card draw engine. Is the problem with sacrifices as a cost, or with having a cost attached to plussing in general?

HitTheTargets posted:

Also I can't imagine Gary making Squirrels instead of Beasts unless he's still just a kid. So embrace the Watchmen Babies aspect of this and make their fancy titles "Jace, Teacher's Pet" and "Ajani, Hall Monitor."

Garruk makes Squirrels mechanically because I wanted him to make 1/1s and I figured Squirrels made more sense that Saprolings. Flavor-wise, the intent is for him to be a weird hermit who does stuff and then leaves, and hermits are generally associated with Squirrels in magic. The Babies angle sounds kind of funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A much more reasonable ability would be "Sacrifice a creature. If you do, draw a card." That lets her + no matter what, which is something you should be able to do.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

cheetah7071 posted:

A much more reasonable ability would be "Sacrifice a creature. If you do, draw a card." That lets her + no matter what, which is something you should be able to do.

Alright, that wording makes sense. I'll use that, but out of curiosity, is being guaranteed to be able to plus something that's vital for plainswalkers? Other card types get away with just sitting on the field or in your hand sometimes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I know this thread is a little old but being bored I have been making a cube of these ridiculous cards. I try to keep it as random as possible, cardnames are random and the art is from a google image search of the card name. Though I have gone with some of the more "playable" version of cards that came up I'm trying to go with interesting ones:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
More Cards:

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Rutibex posted:

More Cards:

The tentacle is silly. Persist will kill it, so it's just another ETB for no reason at all.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Namagem posted:

The tentacle is silly. Persist will kill it, so it's just another ETB for no reason at all.

It wouldn't be the first card that dies immediately.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Are we still doing made up cards? Theros Satyrs look like a lot of fun; so I came up with this:

Revelry (R)(R)(R)
Enchantment

At the begining of your upkeep, put a 1/1 red Satyr into play with a Revelry counter, then place a Revelry counter on target creature.

Creatures with Revelry counters cannot attack, block, or use activated abilities.

When this enchantment leaves play, remove all Revelry counters from all creatures and tap those creatures.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Namagem posted:

Rubbish! Coming into play and immediately dieing could be used for something you just aren't being creative enough! I deliberately left in seemingly pointless powers; because who knows what actually is useful until your playing/drafting? The Boneless is also able to kill itself for 2 colourless :v:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

quote:

Enchantment (white)
Flash

Converted mana cost: 2

My super powerful Sphere of Safety/Ajani's Chosen tech.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is addicting :v: More cards:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Rutibex posted:

More cards

These are pretty great!

How are you coming up with the names, by the way? Because I'm quite partial to "Gun-toting Witch".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

biosterous posted:

These are pretty great!

How are you coming up with the names, by the way? Because I'm quite partial to "Gun-toting Witch".

I'm using the name generator that Tardigrade posted earlier; then I hit refresh on the card generator until something that vaguely fits the name comes up. Magic Set Editor to make the cards:

Tardigrade posted:

I tried making mockups of the cards in Shenafu's card creator (http://www.shenafu.com/magic/cc.php). Everything is as it was in the card generator, except for the color weight in the mana cost and the name (randomly created here) with images taken from Wikimedia. Turns out they're even more hilarious when translated to visual form.

Speaking of cards here are some more :v:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 23, 2013

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I had a project on the side to build a cube-draftable set of my own design -- one that went dormant when I lost a hard drive with a lot of it and then when I had to sink my summer into the bar exam. I'm back on it though and I think time let me refine a mechanic I wanted into something more playable.

Plot [cost]: Exile a card from your hand face down beneath ~. Use this ability any time you could cast a sorcery. You may reveal the plot at any time you could cast an instant. (Could be on any permanent but probably just creatures)

That's the basic shared portion of Plot. (Sort of like how Monstrous is the same ability but varying costs, buffs, and triggers). On its own, it does nothing but let you pay to exile cards from your hand.

Then you give creatures individual spins on it like one creature letting you cast the plotted card as if it has flash, someone else revealing the plot and graving it as a one-time combat trick depending on what type of card it is, creatures who get static buffs based on plotting cards away, Etc. Etc. A way to spend dead cards, bluff others, improve your board stance while risking two-for-ones, etc.

I think it works because if any individual thing is too strong or too weak, it can be tweaked individually without throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and it creates lots of different ways to apply the same basic mechanic. Flavorwise I'm hoping it makes the game a network of plots made, thwarted, and revealed, with bluffs and gambles all the way along.

Am I running into any ticking time bombs here?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Proxy up some cards and put them into Standard decks and see how it actually plays. Test with other people and see how easily they grok the mechanic and whether they enjoy using it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I plan on doing that. I just mean like is there any "you're about to break the game here" issues that are immediately obvious? The previous version was scrapped when it was pointed out it would basically let you play any color card without needing the manabase, and the fix I proposed was overly complicated.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

quote:

Creature - Elf Warrior (1/1, green)
All creatures get +1/+2
At the beginning of your upkeep, target player may put up to one cards from hand onto the battlefield
At the beginning of your upkeep, ~this~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn

This is ridiculous.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What do you plan to have plot cards do with the cards they exile other than give you the ability to play them later?

Is this basically just Imprint a cross between Imprint and Morph?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Examples of where I'm looking to take it:

When ~'s plot is revealed, put the plot in the graveyard. If it is a land card, search your library for up to two basic lands and put them onto the battlefield tapped. (I realize that out of context this looks insane: The point is it has a fairly high activation cost to plot the card in the first place.)

or

When ~ dies, reveal its plot. You may cast it as if it had flash.

or

~ gets +2/+2 for each card exiled beneath it with Plot.

And so on.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 24, 2013

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I just tried using this for the first time, and I figured I'd share a few "gems" for you guys.

quote:

Creature - Human Wizard (1/2, black)
T: destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated.
--Humanity itches far hotter than even the hugest pear
– Vitenka

Converted mana cost: 3

and

quote:

Creature - Elf Shaman (2/2, green and red)
All Elves get +3/+2
Whenever you tap a land for mana, you may search your library for a creature card, reveal it, and put it into its owner's graveyard. If you do, you shuffle that library afterwards.
Whenever a creature is dealt damage, untap target permanent you control

are some broken creatures. Full board wipe, and a card that both thins your deck and is constantly untapping.

quote:

Sorcery - Generated (blue)
Kicker U
If you paid the first kicker cost, You and target opponent each untap and gain control of target creature with both power and toughness 2 or more the other controls until end of turn.
Kicker 1U
If you paid the second kicker cost, until end of turn, if you would draw a card, instead return target Forest to its owner's hand
until end of turn, if a Rogue would regenerate, you may pay 2U. If you do, instead return that creature to its owner's hand
--His gun sings a single wood and increases more beautifully than even the wisest kitten will
– Len, Fleet Guardian

This one can allow for some fun shenanigans...

quote:

Instant - Generated (green)
any number of target nongreen creatures can't be the target of activated abilities until end of turn

Converted mana cost: 1

On the other hand, this card is so trollish. It can shut down a whole bunch of plays from almost any type of colored deck.

And lastly, perhaps one of the most broken Plainswalkers I have even seen:

quote:

Sashe Otali
Planeswalker - Sashe (white, Loyalty 4)
+1: tap all creatures
-2: attach target Aura to target nonblue creature. (Control of that Aura doesn't change.)
-5: target permanent is white (This effect doesn't end) and regenerate that permanent

Converted mana cost: 4

Summon, tap, push for game?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Julias posted:

Summon, tap, push for game?

You tap your own dudes, too.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Enchantment (blue)
UU: return target land to its owner's hand
UU: copy target spell or ability and you may choose new targets for the copy
--His playground made of dreams may catch the wisest book
– Odin

I wonder if this is playable :v:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Choices, choices.

quote:

Instant (black)
Choose one: draw three cards; or you lose 1 life
Entwine 4B
--The whispered town rallies the proper lock and collapses the most beautiful map
– Unknown

Holy poo poo.

quote:

Enchantment (white)
6WWWWWW: put a 1/1 white Cleric creature token with flying onto the battlefield
Sacrifice a Cleric: you may return two multicoloured creature cards with converted mana cost X or less, where X is the number of basic land types among lands an opponent controls from your graveyard to the battlefield

:stare:

quote:

Artifact
Whenever you lose life, two target creatures with both power and toughness 3 or more gain protection from black creatures until end of turn and those creatures gain protection from artifact creatures until end of turn
Sacrifice ~this~: target colourless enchantment gains ''Whenever a creature is returned to its owner's hand, you may pay 1. If you do, target creature with power 3 or less gets +4/+4 until end of turn'' until end of turn and that permanent is a Swamp land in addition to its other types until end of turn
When ~this~ enters the battlefield, up to X target creatures with power 4 or less, where X is the number of Goblins you control get +1/+2 until end of turn
--His vein delights faster than the most skilled wrist
– Chathedom Wydwee, Soldier of the Ruby Tomb

Converted mana cost: 5

h_double fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 19, 2013

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

quote:

Creature - Goblin Samurai (1/1, red)
bushido 4
~this~ can't block
BRG, T: attach target Equipment to target creature. Gain control of that Equipment until end of turn

Seems reasonable.

quote:

Land
T: add U to your mana pool
Discard a card, T: ~this~ deals 1 damage to target player for each basic land type among lands you control
When ~this~ leaves the battlefield, ~this~ deals 5 damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures
Weird, but kind of interesting.

quote:

Land
~this~ enters the battlefield tapped.
T: add 1 to your mana pool
Okay.

quote:

Artifact
Imprint — When ~this~ enters the battlefield, you may exile target artifact card with converted mana cost X or more, where X is the number of basic land types among lands you control in an opponent's graveyard. (The exiled card is imprinted on this artifact.)
permanents that share a type with the imprinted card are Mountain lands in addition to their other types

I'm sure this has some use somewhere.

quote:

Enchantment (black)
When ~this~ enters the battlefield, all attacking creatures get -1/-2 until end of turn

:psyduck:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

quote:

Creature - Human Warrior (1/1, green)
At the beginning of each opponent's end step, put a +1/+1 counter on up to X target untapped creatures, where X is the number of colours among permanents an opponent controls and those creatures can't be the target of creature spells (This effect doesn't end)
All creatures gain ''G: search your library for a land card and put it into hand, then shuffle your library''
--Humanity burns the fastest wool and transcends the wisest answer
Yet her hill enlightens the fastest throne
– Schuigoo Poaflid Fleethand

Seems hilarious with multiple players, especially if none of them have green.

quote:

Instant (green)
two target Beasts get +4/+1 until end of turn

Less powerful than a Phytoburst but cheaper and affects twice as many creatures, I can see this being useful.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

quote:

Enchantment (blue)
Whenever you draw a card, put a time counter on ~this~. If ~this~ has two or more time counters on it, flip it.
- - - - -
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Rogue (3/4, blue)
you may cast Rogue spells by paying ''2'' rather than paying their mana cost
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, untap two target permanents
All red creatures become the creature type of your choice
(U/B): put a leak counter on target creature
Each creature with a leak counter on it gains ''Threshold - If you have seven or more cards in your graveyard, ~this~ can block an additional creature as long as the number of colours among permanents you control is 1 or less''
3U, T: target creature with a leak counter on it can't be the target of spells and activated abilities until end of turn

This seems versatile...

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

quote:

Creature - Dragon (3/2, red)
Flying
RR: add 1 to your mana pool

Not quite sure about the ability but I wouldn't say no to a 3/2 flying for 1 mana.

quote:

Enchantment (black)
Pay 1 life, Discard a artifact card: put a warp counter on ~this~
B, Sacrifice a Forest, remove any number of warp counters from ~this~: you get that many poison counters

Rube Goldberg suicide machine.

quote:

Artifact
Sacrifice ~this~: put two charge counters on two target nonwhite permanents and tap those permanents
If a creature with both power and toughness 3 or more would deal combat damage to a creature, any player may Sacrifice a nonbasic land. If a player doesn't, instead that creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn

A bit situational but having your creatures hulk out in combat is a cool concept.

quote:

Creature - Zombie Wizard (1/2, black)
At the beginning of your combat phase, destroy target creature
All permanents gain ''protection from instant spells''

Well that is one way to deal with the above card.

quote:

Land
T: add B to your mana pool
A Swamp.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

quote:

Tribal Instant - Giant (white)
Affinity for permanents
Return target artifact card from your graveyard to the battlefield

Affinity for... permanents? Okay.

quote:

Oseca Japoposhatelol
Planeswalker - Oseca (white, Loyalty 1)
+3: tap two target permanents
-3: you gain 4 life
-2: tap two target permanents
--Her spark made of iron amuses greater than the fiercest alarm
– Ashide Oalatisp, Sharp Warrior

Best ultimate, not redundant at all.

quote:

Creature - Rat Cleric (2/2, black)
T, Pay 2 life: draw a card, then discard three cards
Whenever a Rat is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, target player may return two creature cards from his or her graveyard to hand

This one is actually kinda cool and flavourful.

quote:

Enchantment (white)
All white creatures gain lifelink
All permanents are white

Activate "Make the game a painful slog" mode go!

quote:

Artifact
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, target opponent may Sacrifice a Golem. If that player doesn't, ~this~ deals 5 damage to target Golem

Look, either you're gonna kill your golem, or I'm gonna kill your golem"
(well, probably, anyway)

quote:

Instant (white)
untap target Island and tap that permanent
--Every feast grounds
– Asnuajul, Sage Hermit

Hooray!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

quote:

Creature - Bird (2/2, blue)
Flying
Tap an untapped land you control: attach target Equipment to target creature. Gain control of that Equipment until end of turn and that creature gets -1/-0 until end of turn
Sacrifice ~this~: each player may put a card from hand onto the battlefield
U: target player reveals cards from the top of his or her library until that player reveals a artifact card, puts that card into play, and exiles the rest.
your opponents may cast green spells by paying ''Discard a instant card'' rather than paying their mana cost

Why yes mono blue has always needed an "I win" button against 80% of all decks.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

quote:

Instant (green)
you gain 1 life for each poison counter you have

You know, if this were, say, 1G I could see this being used. I like that risk/reward element if you self-poison for self gain, but if you run into an opposing poison deck, you might get hosed.

Speaking of risk/reward:

quote:

Instant (blue)
each player may put two cards from hand onto the battlefield
--Her week gathers louder than even the able
– Azul, the evil knight

:stare:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

quote:

Legendary Enchantment - Aura (green)
Enchant untapped Mountain
Enchanted land can't be the target of white creature spells with converted mana cost 1
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, add two mana of any one colour to your mana pool
Tap an untapped permanent you control: untap all permanents. When those permanents becomes the target of a activated ability from a permanent an opponent controls source this turn, flip ~this~.
- - - - -
Legendary Creature - Elf Shaman (5/1, green)
rampage 4
4: you put two 4/4 red Beast creature tokens onto the battlefield
Sacrifice a creature: draw a card

:magical: Tap an untapped permanent you control: untap all permanents.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Creature - Zombie (1/2, black)
Whenever a creature regenerates, destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated.

---------
I could see this being both legit, and a right motherfucker against regen-heavy decks.

Eeevil posted:

Double Flying (This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with double flying or both flying and reach.)

I see your double flying and raise you triple flying.

---------
Artifact Creature - Thopter (1/2, artifact)
Flying
flying
persist
flying
--The proper map haunts bigger than the whispered tool
Albeit the proper locket instructs more destructively than even the stalwart fireman
– Kuri

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Magic Card Generator posted:

Enchantment - Aura (green)
Enchant enchantment
Whenever enchanted enchantment becomes legendary, put a warp counter on ~this~. If ~this~ has six or more warp counters on it, flip it.
2GG: put two 1/1 green Snake creature tokens onto the battlefield
Sacrifice three Snakes: target land can't be the target of activated abilities from a untapped basic land source until end of turn and target creature with total power and toughness 2 or less gets +1/+3 until end of turn
- - - - -
Legendary Creature - Beast (1/7, green)
If ~this~ would be put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return it to its owner's hand instead
When ~this~ leaves the battlefield, you may return any number of cards from your graveyard to the battlefield
So lemme get this straight: The only way to flip this is to flicker Leyline of Singularity? And is there even any way to give a basic land an ability that targets another land without tapping? Not to mention to even use this ability, you need a creature with total power and toughness 2 or less?

EDIT:

Creature - Horror (2/1, black)
Pay 1 life: each opponent gets 3 poison counters
B: destroy any number of target lands
BBB, Sacrifice ~this~: You and target opponent each untap and gain control of two target white creatures the other controls until end of turn. They gain haste until end of turn.

Jesus loving Christ. If you have 4 or more life on turn 2, you can win instantly, or you can wait until turn 3 (or play a Dark Ritual) and make it so your opponent can't play any spells ever and you just wait to kill them at your leisure.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 16, 2013

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Zemyla posted:

And is there even any way to give a basic land an ability that targets another land without tapping?

It can be a tap ability, since the targeting restriction will keep the ability from being activated in the first place. Also, Animate Land on a Forest, activate a Havengul Lich's ability targeting Rootrunner, Mirrorweave the Forest, and then cast Rootrunner. Your Lich is now a 3/3 Basic Land Creature - Forest with "GG, sacrifice ~this~: Put target land on top of its owner's library."

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 16, 2013

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Zemyla posted:

Jesus loving Christ. If you have 4 or more life on turn 2, you can win instantly, or you can wait until turn 3 (or play a Dark Ritual) and make it so your opponent can't play any spells ever and you just wait to kill them at your leisure.
I love how the abilities go
"I win"
"I win"
"let's exchange white creatures"

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Creature - Bird Knight (3/3, white)
Flying
morphability_myAbilityContext
vigilance
All Knights can block an additional creature
--Her team fits more beautifully than even the bravest suit
Although his donkey educates more profoundly than the confused bean
– Enia, Shaman of the Ocean

I wonder what rules would be attached to morphability_myAbilityContext.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

quote:

Enchantment (red)
All creatures with both power and toughness 7 or less can't block

Hope you've got eldrazis or huge green creatures, or you can never block me ever

quote:

Instant (red)
destroy all artifacts
--His vegetable made of steel lies bigger than the man
Because his railway answers faster than even the sink could
– Eriasiesh, Diamond Traitor

This is fair.

quote:

Enchantment (blue)
Sacrifice ~this~: clash with an opponent. If you win, counter target spell or ability unless an opponent pays U
1: up to five target creatures become Birds (This effect doesn't end)
When ~this~ enters the battlefield, attach target Equipment to target creature. (Control of that Equipment doesn't change.)

4 cost delayed-use counterspell unless your opponent's playing blue, everything becomes birds (Tribal poo poo, I guess?), and it attaches an equipment to any creature, but the controller can equip it again unless it's controlled by you.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

quote:

Creature - Cat Cleric (1/2, white)

~this~ can block an additional creature

This is a pretty cool squire.

quote:

Creature - Zombie Faerie (2/1, black)

Flying
All permanents gain protection from white

gently caress WHITE

quote:

Sorcery - Generated (black)

untap target black creature and gain control of it until end of turn. It gains haste until end of turn.

Black-on-black threaten? Would be kinda cute if it was B or 1B.

quote:

Instant - Arcane (white)

Choose one: attach target Aura to target creature with toughness 2 or less. (Control of that Aura doesn't change.); or attach target Equipment to target untapped creature. (Control of that Equipment doesn't change.)

The world's most specialized combat trick?

quote:

Instant (white)

~this~ deals 1 damage to target attacking or blocking creature for each poison counter you have. Creatures damaged this way can't be regenerated this turn

This one fits in well with the weird self-poisoning deck this generator seems to want to enable.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 26, 2013

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

quote:

Enchantment (red)
All creatures with both power and toughness 7 or less can't block

Knock the CMC down by one mana and this seems like a real card almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fairlight
May 18, 2007

quote:

Instant - Arcane (red)
clash with an opponent. If you win, clash with an opponent. If you win, up to X target Dragons get +3/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of artifacts on the battlefield and clash with an opponent. If you win, clash with an opponent. If you win, destroy two target lands

Converted mana cost: 6

Hell yeah. bring on the clashes!

• Locked thread