Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

maketakunai posted:

There wasn't any explicit foreshadowing, except Pekoyama hung out around Kuzuryuu a lot, Kuzuryuu's a SHSL Gangster, and.. well, that's all, really. Maybe that swordsmen/swordswomen are considered to be proficient with deadly weapons could have lead to it as well. She's using what looks to be a real sword on her Page 1 art, too. :shobon:

This, plus the "hidden connections" theme. It was kind of obvious there was something between them, but what exactly that was wasn't very clear until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Monobear will ultimately interpret the rules in whatever way will draw things out more. He doesn't want to kill everyone all at once. That's not to say he won't mess with everyone first, though, because he will definitely do that.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I had forgotten the fact that Sonia had to translate that. No wonder she had her doubts.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Okay, good. I'm glad the game didn't actually go with the "second teenage serial killer at the same high school".

It seems like she was the one who did the actual murder, though. She's a human who can make her own decisions, so therefore Monobear will declare that she is the one responsible. Good riddance to Peko. Still though, Kuzuryuu better not survive until the end. He doesn't deserve to live for this. EDIT: Well... I suppose maybe not if he didn't actually give an order. But whether he gave an order or not, I still wouldn't shed any tears for his death.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 9, 2013

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

orenronen posted:

"Jus ・ tice ・ Com ・ plete!"
"Piercing the very night itself with the shining light of justice’s brightest star!"
"Call me Kirakira-chan!"
"Jus ・ ticia ・ com ・ pleta! Atravezando la mismisima noche con la luz brillante de la justicia de la estrella mas brillante! Llamenme Kirakira-chan!"
If you had only said that, Pekoyama.

Also I'm really amazed with this, if only because it just subverted the very case structure both the previous game and this one accustomed us to. Usually, after the culprit is chosen and we go through Climax Inference, that's it, we have the villain, it's over. Now? Now we just end up with this hollow feeling as Pekoyama managed to lie to everyone.

And considering Kuzuryuu's reactions during the trial, including him. Especially that face when he realized he'd be the only one left alive. I can only wonder just what really happened here, since it's clear Kuzuryuu did not want Pekoyama to go murder Koizumi - or at least, not as it happened.

Now I'm definitely eagerly awaiting the explanation for all of this, and how Monobear is going to take all that happened (though obviously Pekoyama's getting executed, else this will be a really short game).

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Okay, good. I'm glad the game didn't actually go with the "second teenage serial killer at the same high school".

Yeah, I'm pretty relieved as well.

quote:

Still though, Kuzuryuu better not survive until the end. He doesn't deserve to live for this.

I'd say that depends on whether or not he actually gave Peko the order to kill Mahiru. Judging by his reaction in this update, I don't think he did.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think the poster who said that Peko is trying to save Kuzuryuu and Kuzuryuu is trying to save Peko had it dead-on.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I think I'd be a lot madder about this if Pekoyama weren't going to die horribly in the next update.

Other than that I just mostly come out of this feeling sorry for Kuzuryuu.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rabidredneck posted:

I know it's been brought up before, but monobear has been clear that as far as he's concerned, the person who actually does the deed is the killer. It likely wouldn't matter to him that Kuzuryuu ordered the hit, just that Peko accepted the order and did the deed. He'd probably be laughing his furry rear end off at Kuzuryuu, as he would then be ostracized by every other member of the group, and likely become a potential target himself from someone wanting revenge.

Assuming that this isn't a surprise game over and the story continues Kuzuryuu should still be safe at least at first because if anybody is going to be killed for revenge it's going to be the hope psycho Komaeda. Remember he is the one who is treating this just as much as game as Monokuma is.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hunt11 posted:

Assuming that this isn't a surprise game over and the story continues Kuzuryuu should still be safe at least at first because if anybody is going to be killed for revenge it's going to be the hope psycho Komaeda. Remember he is the one who is treating this just as much as game as Monokuma is.

Komaeda is treating this deathly seriously, what are you talking about?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Her argument that she's just a tool with no agency is undercut by her refusing a direct order to not confess to the murder when she donned the mask and went all magical transformation catchphrase on us.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Her argument that she's just a tool with no agency is undercut by her refusing a direct order to not confess to the murder when she donned the mask and went all magical transformation catchphrase on us.

Assuming such an order was given. Kuzuryuu looks like he may not have actually told her to kill someone, let alone instructed her on how to do it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Facetious Jim posted:

Assuming such an order was given. Kuzuryuu looks like he may not have actually told her to kill someone, let alone instructed her on how to do it.

orenronen posted:

I... must never allow that to happen!

That's enough... stop it...!

The light of justice must endure, to guide us on our way!

I...I told you to stop!

Direct. Order.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
He means the order that would make Pekoyama a "tool with no agency" -- in other words, the order to kill Koizumi. If that order never happened, then she just did whatever she wanted without Kuzuryuu really being involved.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

That's a good point but I don't know how you divine that as what you feel he meant from what he said?

Anyway it doesn't have to have ever existed. Her argument is that she is a tool and a tool cannot be guilty of murder. She has proven she can ignore Kyuzuru so unless there's video of Kyuzuru saying "okay murder someone then confess and when I yell at you to not confess that is actually the super secret code to REALLY SELL YOUR CONFESSION, okay?" then her argument is shot in the foot.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 9, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

alcharagia posted:

Other than that I just mostly come out of this feeling sorry for Kuzuryuu.

You shouldn't. Kuzyryuu has been nothing but an rear end in a top hat the entire time, uttering threats at every opportunity, and now someone is dead because of him - whether he explicitly ordered it or not.

Do you know who I feel sorry for? Koizumi, the murder victim.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You shouldn't. Kuzyryuu has been nothing but an rear end in a top hat the entire time, uttering threats at every opportunity, and now someone is dead because of him - whether he explicitly ordered it or not.

Do you know who I feel sorry for? Koizumi, the murder victim.

To be fair, Kuzuryuu's sister is dead and everything points to one of his classmates being the culprit. He's an rear end in a top hat but he has a chip on his shoulder for a pretty good reason.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Yeah, Koizumi didn't even murder anyone, so her murderer was a despicable act no matter who was ultimately behind it. I'm surprised the "Peko is a mafia assassin" theory turned out to have merit, but it seems pretty clear this wasn't Kuryuzuu's plan at all given his actions during the trial and his reaction to Peko's insane speech about being a "tool". Which is just as much, maybe even more of a bullshit excuse for killing Koizumi than the KiraKira shtick. She can claim to be a tool, but that's bullshit, she had a choice and she made it. If Kuryuzuu did order the killing, she didn't have to do it, but she did it anyway. And if he didn't, well, goddamn she is as nuts as if she were KiraKira.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012

Spatula City posted:

Yeah, Koizumi didn't even murder anyone

We don't know this. Unless I missed something big her involvement in the video game hasn't been explained.

SOL_Cambot
Oct 9, 2012
Considering how surprised Kuzuryuu looked, I'm starting to think that Peko had actually acted without his knowledge. She didn't kill Mahiru, but she covered up the scene for him without telling him. Kuzuryuu killed Mahiru with his own hands, and then left through the tunnel. He didn't have any blood on him since he just left the body where it fell. Peko found out about his plan and acted on her own, moving the body in front of the tunnel and setting up Saionji. The Kira-Kira thing was a backup in case the original plan to frame Saionji fell through. That would explain both Peko's actions during the trial and why Kuzuryuu was so upset. There would be no reason for him to react that way if he planned to sacrifice Peko from the start.

Then again, Kuzuryuu having a "won't someone rid me of this troublesome priest?" moment and Pekoyama taking that as an order to kill fits pretty well to.

Also I totally did an involuntary fist-pump when Sonia popped up. Come on, who seriously didn't expect them to throw some kind of curveball?

SOL_Cambot fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 9, 2013

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

might be wrong posted:

We don't know this. Unless I missed something big her involvement in the video game hasn't been explained.

She didn't murder anyone, she just disposed of key evidence that would've gotten E-ko convicted or even killed since that was Kuzuryuu's sister.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

might be wrong posted:

Yeah, like A Bystander posted, it's pretty explicit that E-ko/Satou murdered Kuzuryuu's sister and D-ko/Koizumi just helped to cover it up (by destroying her photographs that would implicate her friend). Assuming Twilight Murder Mystery is accurate to whatever happened in the real world, Koizumi is an accomplice to murder, but she didn't commit murder herself.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Alavaria posted:

Beaten beaten to death with a wrench.

No, it's going to be a giant-size bamboo statue of Koizumi slumped against the wall. A large crane (with a Sailor Moon face) will pick up Peko and repeatedly bash her against the head.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

I was right!

Why would you end the post there!? :f5:

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Now there are only a few things we don't know for certain. First up is whether Kuzuryuu seriously told Peko to commit the murder, and his reactions strongly suggest that he didn't. Secondly would be who, exactly, killed E-ko. Kuzuyruu could have killed her, but he may not have. Koizumi tried to cover up the murder that E-ko committed, but that doesn't rule her out as E-ko's murderer either. The only reason why E-ko's murder wouldn't be addressed in this trial is if E-ko's murderer was actually Ibuki, Mikan or Saionji.

The presence of the mask at the scene of the crime isn't quite so much of a mystery as it was before. Peko might have decided to leave it there just in case she needed to pretend to be KiraKira. That would still have been risky; Sonia hadn't even come out with KiraKira's catch phrase at that point. But Peko's been taking a lot of chances anyway.

I think there's still a reasonable chance that Koizumi was either E-ko's killer or that she believed Kuzuryuu to be E-ko's killer and she wanted to kill him for revenge. Possibly even both, given the mind-wiping. If anybody in the cast has any chance of still being KiraKira, it's her. She could have been the one to bring the mask there. She was a photographer, and it wouldn't be strange for her to be able to speak Spanish or to travel and have contacts among journalists worldwide.

I'm ambivalent about Peko now. Her argument about only being a tool is interesting but deeply, deeply flawed to the extent that it shows a lot of insight into her mental state: she must really believe that she's only a tool and that her argument there can't possibly fail. The fact that she really has turned out to be a retainer of Kuzuryuu's is a bit disappointing in a way, but it does make the most sense as her motivation. I don't think we'll be getting a game over, so I can only assume that Peko's death is going to make for interesting character development for Kuzuryuu, as he must have said something to spark off Peko's murder spree, and it's going to end up with the deaths of two people he didn't really want dead. At the least, he's going to feel like a failure as a gangster for not reining in his servant.

KingSaber1994
Jun 4, 2013

Van Dine posted:

The presence of the mask at the scene of the crime isn't quite so much of a mystery as it was before. Peko might have decided to leave it there just in case she needed to pretend to be KiraKira. That would still have been risky; Sonia hadn't even come out with KiraKira's catch phrase at that point. But Peko's been taking a lot of chances anyway.

Nah, the conversation with Sonia about Kira-Kira was in the library, long before the murder, much less the trial.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

KingSaber1994 posted:

Nah, the conversation with Sonia about Kira-Kira was in the library, long before the murder, much less the trial.

The library was the place where Sonia first mentioned KiraKira, but update #56, which took place after Koizumi's murder, was the one where Sonia quoted KiraKira's catch-phrase. If Peko left the mask there as insurance so that she could put the mask on and start pretending to be KiraKira, she was doing so without even knowing the catch-phrase she would need to spout. What she did in the trial would be a risky gamble either way, but it was much more so if she had no sensible expectation of being able to fool Sonia at the time she left the mask there.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

'Dangan Ronpa Another Episode' just got announced on the Sony Stream.

It's a third person shooter where you shoot monobears.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So I guess we're never actually seeing the real KiraKira if they aren't Japanese, unless the game really wants to pull something out of its rear end. I'm cool with that.

And honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Monobear agrees with that line of reasoning and then executes her anyway for boring him or something. Or hell, just for bragging like that.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 9, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Stoat posted:

Also they basically admitted Dangan Ronpa 3 is coming at the end.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I'm gonna end up buying a PS Vita solely because of this drat series, I swear.

If some footage of the announcement pops up I'd love to see it myself, so far I've found nothing but a few posts on sites from people screaming in excitement about it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

FWIW, "Another Episode" seems to be the subtitle. Most of the logo reads "Zettai Zetsubo Shojo".

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!

orenronen posted:

WHA?! (×Д♯)

Nicely done, Ibuki.

I don't really see this working out for Pekoyama. I wouldn't be surprised if her disobeying a direct order gets brought up as the reason, but it doesn't even seem like that would be necessary based on what Monobear has said in the past.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

CaptainFish posted:

I don't really see this working out for Pekoyama. I wouldn't be surprised if her disobeying a direct order gets brought up as the reason, but it doesn't even seem like that would be necessary based on what Monobear has said in the past.

There's pretty much no way Peko isn't going down for this. While it's possible she interpreted something Kuzuryuu said as an order to kill Koizumi (he was presumably mad as Hell and doesn't mince words, so I'm sure he said something about wishing her dead), I think at this point it's obvious that he didn't intentionally order the "hit," let alone mastermind it and use Peko as a tool. Contrast this with Celes in DR1, who played Yamada like a goddamn fiddle every step of the way; given that she eventually did kill Yamada, it's impossible to say whether she or Yamada would have been considered the culprit of Ishida's murder, but she clearly caused the crime to happen in a way that it's looking like Kuzuryuu didn't. Admittedly, at this point Peko is dying regardless of who gets ruled the culprit, but it seems clear her "tool" argument holds no water.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

PAMaster posted:

But comparing an assassin to a gun, as in the quote... I mean, if he used a tool then sure he'd be the murderer for sure, you can't just be like
"The gun is the guilty one!"
because that's stupid.

But suddenly a gun becomes peko-san straight up bashing some skulls, and the weapon is a person and therefore guilty of murder. You can't be like
"It's not actually me because I ordered someone else to do it!"
because if the gun thing is stupid, then this is goddamn retarded. There is no transitive property of murder in Dangan Ronpa, Monobear has laid that out pretty plainly.

I got the order of who was trying to get off clean for this murder, since it's Peko, but the stupid sleep deprived theory turned out alright after all.

I still think it's goddamn retarded though. You can't claim that murder's a transitive thing basec on who wanted it, because if you did it'd open up a whole new can of worms.

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.

Facetious Jim posted:

So the mob enforcer theory has been thrown around before the trial ever started. I haven't believed it until now because there was nothing to suggest that in the game.

Did I miss something important that foreshadowed this or was that a wild guess that caught on/someone spoiled it early and passed it off as a guess?
There's been clues all through the trial. Here was my list of reasons I thought it was true a few updates ago.

Dragoon Cody posted:

Here are the facts:
1) It's been made clear that Kuzuryuu is the one with a clear and obvious motive to this murder - killing Koizumi for the cover-up of his sister's death. He also knows about it, if you remember the note he left in which he said "You'll remember what you bastards did to my sister."
2) It's been made clear through his actions in the court room that he is involved in this case in some way and has some sort of reason to cover for Peko.
3) There is one missing player in the events of Koizumi's death, as there would need to be one more person involved than just Saionji, Souda and the murderer to explain why Monobear made the discovery announcement.
4) If Peko is the murderer, as is being spelled out for us right now with the player accusation and little drawings of how she did it and everything, then she apparently did it for "justice". However, she can't have known the situation at hand without the details. Who has the details and a motive? Kuzuryuu.
5) It's some fairly basic in-character stuff for a character whose superpower is being a mob boss to bring in someone else to do the dirty work of a revenge plot.

So do I think Kuzuryuu and Peko are involved together in a way that involves Kuzuryuu having the motive but Peko doing the murder? Well, yes, because the information we have right now presents a fairly complete explanation in that regard.

I think this has been a basic connect-the-dots explanation for at least a week or two. We've known Kuzuryuu was the one with the motive for this murder for almost as long as we've known about the murder, and we've been suspicious of Peko ever since the murder happened and she was the only one who had the ability to hide the bloodstains. If one person has a motive but another person did it, you don't need to be Sherlock to infer that something's going on there.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Policenaut posted:

Also they basically admitted Dangan Ronpa 3 is coming at the end.

I hope the next Togami lives longer.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
If this is trial two I can't wait to see what the next few trials (and the thread's reaction) will be like. :suspense:

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013

Van Dine posted:

I think there's still a reasonable chance that Koizumi was either E-ko's killer or that she believed Kuzuryuu to be E-ko's killer and she wanted to kill him for revenge. Possibly even both, given the mind-wiping. If anybody in the cast has any chance of still being KiraKira, it's her. She could have been the one to bring the mask there. She was a photographer, and it wouldn't be strange for her to be able to speak Spanish or to travel and have contacts among journalists worldwide.

All due respect dude, but I think you're reaching a little bit here. At this point, Occam's Razor is pretty strongly against you and it's gonna take some decisive evidence that Koizumi had any murderous intent to make your theory viable.

Van Dine posted:

The fact that she really has turned out to be a retainer of Kuzuryuu's is a bit disappointing in a way, but it does make the most sense as her motivation.

Welp, I still genuinely feel a bit conflicted about having accurately called that they were co-operating. I actually hope I wasn't right about Kuzuryuu planning to take the fall for her from the beginning though and that she just turned it around on him as soon as everyone became suspicious of her actions, but that slowly seems more unlikely.

Not personally ready to cast a verdict yet as to whether Kuzuryuu intended the murder to happen or not, but I'm gonna go with he did. If I get proved wrong later, at least I won't have been indecisive about being wrong this time.

LukanFox fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

Stoat posted:

Is that Mukuro I see as the main playable character in the trailer? That would make it a prequel, but that wouldn't make any sense considering she and Junko were still working together at this point. It does seem to be set in Monoworld though, so I guess this must take place a year after the students first entered the students entered hopes peak in DR1, and a year before the actual events in DR1. I also noticed an interesting second character who we didn't get to get a good look at. Judging by the hairstyle I have two potential candidates, but I should really not go any further with that.
Looks like a really strange, ridiculous idea, but I'm excited for it simply based on the absurdity of the concept.

But also, what kind of weapon is Mukuro using there? Looks like a ray gun that should be in the future. I suppose this proves that only a SHSL soldier would have access to such a thing.

As for the trial at hand... I really think it would have been better if, assuming Kuzu intended for the murder to go this way as planned, Kuzu had actually performed the murder. Then he could have left through the door before Peko moves the body and then Peko needs only to do the rest, drawing attention to herself and pushing people to vote for her quickly when in fact she was innocent. Would have been fine if Kuzu hid behind Peko and stuck Koizumi from Peko's body, so that the blood still goes on Peko. But, his reaction suggests that that isn't his style... oh well, it would have made more sense from Peko's perspective anyway. Just goes to show Peko's mentality, I suppose, that you don't imprison a knife for the crimes it committed at the hands of the culprit. Of course, Peko is a far cry from an inanimate object, as is any sentient being.

• Locked thread