Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jibo posted:

The way they made the characters and the gameplay itself feel distinct was a positive in the last game. Until you played Brooke or Franky and it was more of a hassle than a fun element. I really can't wait until this weekend when I can play the drat game.

Brooke is still kind of awkward (his style action is entertaining to use though) but Franky got hella improved, IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Infinity Gaia posted:

Brooke is still kind of awkward (his style action is entertaining to use though) but Franky got hella improved, IMHO.

I haven't gotten to play much but abusing the hell out of the style meter to do crazy combos has been so much fun. I'm having a blast with just Luffy, Nami Smoker and Franky.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Eneru is pretty much the best, even though I've got no idea what his gimmick meter is supposed to mean. Whatever it is, it sure as hell doesn't make him suck like Franky's did in the first game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I haven't gotten to play much but abusing the hell out of the style meter to do crazy combos has been so much fun. I'm having a blast with just Luffy, Nami Smoker and Franky.

Nami is pretty tricky to play, honestly, due to her whole thing with thunderbolt tempo. When she clicks though, she really clicks. She'll never be a easy powerhouse like Luffy or whoever, but she can do some pretty nasty stuff.

Mostly it didn't click for me until three or so missions with her that oh, her R2 is the ACTUAL trigger for thunderbolt tempo. I felt like a complete idiot, I had been using her triangle-triangle-triangle combo all along, and was wondering why it was so difficult to get the Tempo out.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Was wondering why this thread was at the top of the forum and holy poo poo OP:PW2! I'm super excited! I wish I'd known about this earlier.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a guide on how to unlock stuff someone somewhere put together, some of it is kinda obtuse. (1000 K.O.s as Chopper on 1-4? :what:)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao2H8cCVWXHUdHFRZUFmU3dXVXBOMV90TmRILXhuZEE#gid=0

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
So far I've put in about 4 hours in it, and Kuzan(Aokiji) is my favourite char.

His Square-Square-Triangle-Triangle is off the charts. Whirling frozen cyclone of death, that sucks enemies in AND freezes them? Yes please.

This game is basically must-buy material for any OP fan.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

quakster posted:

Here's a guide on how to unlock stuff someone somewhere put together, some of it is kinda obtuse. (1000 K.O.s as Chopper on 1-4? :what:)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao2H8cCVWXHUdHFRZUFmU3dXVXBOMV90TmRILXhuZEE#gid=0

To be entirely fair you're supposed to be getting 1000 kills on every stage every time anyways, so it's really just technically "play as Chopper on 1-4".

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is this game worth recommending without reservation, unlike the last game?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Unlucky7 posted:

So is this game worth recommending without reservation, unlike the last game?
Well, Oda's breast fixation hasn't been this prominent in a non-mousepad OP product ever before. :v:

(The game is good.)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's still clearly a One Piece, and therefore an anime game, so usual restrictions apply (kind of embarassing female character design, lots of screaming of attack names, skull jokes), but the actual gameplay is genuinely good, one of the most all-around fun Dynasty Warriors-style games in a while.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
After looking up some info I may get this game, since I do like One Piece. It sounds like the story is partially the same as WO3: You friends are being mind controlled, and you must use the power of friendship and punches to save them.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
Yeah, definitely has the alternate timeline thing goin' on...which is great really. Why you ask?

Because some of the lines the VA's do between characters that don't normally meet up in the regular storyline are amazing.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Daeno posted:

Yeah, definitely has the alternate timeline thing goin' on...which is great really. Why you ask?

Because some of the lines the VA's do between characters that don't normally meet up in the regular storyline are amazing.

This was my favorite part of DW Gundam 1 and 2 and I wish there was more of it in 3. Specifically Domon running around screaming about Gundam Fight International Treaty articles and everyone else wondering what the gently caress he's talking about.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

quakster posted:

Well, Oda's breast fixation hasn't been this prominent in a non-mousepad OP product ever before. :v:

(The game is good.)

Yeah I'm not one to get all bent out of shape over some fan service here and there but god drat is there way too many boob shots in this game. I'm pretty sure the intro movie even starts out zoomed in on Nami's boobs and just kind of pans out to the rest of the crew.

But the game is fun, it has definitely improved on everything from the last game and I have yet to encounter any platforming or QTEs. I feel like the last game was close to being a good game and this one is way better.

It's weird how they've kind of worked in some of the strategy element from Dynasty Warriors. poo poo like Luffy talk about capturing these two bases so they can execute a pincer attack. :psyduck: It's also weird how hilariously bad some of the translation is but I always find that amusing and it's not that surprising after some of the poo poo you see in DW8.

I've only played it about an hour or so but I'm really digging it and I'm starting a three day weekend right now. :getin:

OatmealRaisin posted:

This was my favorite part of DW Gundam 1 and 2 and I wish there was more of it in 3. Specifically Domon running around screaming about Gundam Fight International Treaty articles and everyone else wondering what the gently caress he's talking about.

Domon's lines and his interactions with other characters in DWG2 was the best thing in any DWG game. Yazan palling around with what's his name from Turn A Gundam was pretty close though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends is coming to PlayStation 4.

edit: With better lighting, shading, more soldiers on screen, enemy soldiers now ragdoll when they die.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 9, 2013

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Policenaut posted:

edit: With better lighting, shading, more soldiers on screen, enemy soldiers now ragdoll when they die.

I'm so hyped. He ran right through that fire section of Hulao and the game didn't slow down like crazy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Warriors 4 is coming to PlayStation Vita as well.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Played through a few missions of One Piece Warriors 2, and it is the most mook-murderingest Musou game aside from WO3. Not to mention that there are craploads of combos.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Now to hope more Warriors games get localized.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Only Vita or PS3 as well?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PureRok posted:

Only Vita or PS3 as well?
They only mentioned it during the Vita presentation, so I assume that. But then, with the new TV box Vita they announced, maybe it doesn't matter so much.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
A question about OPPW2. Do characters now only have one SP/Musou attack? I figured that the "form changing" SP attacks would be taken out with the addition of the Style attacks but after spending some time with Tony Chopper last night it looks like his Monster Point is completely gone as far as I can tell and that's a real drat bummer. Also Franky Shogun only shows up to spin around and fall over.

Still digging the game though but Chopper went from one of the most fun characters to one of the most frustrating to play pretty hard in the transition.

Also, does anyone know how to get the gold coins for the Crew Episode stages? Do I have to S rank them?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Policenaut posted:

Thankfully it's not just PS4, otherwise all that grind and effort in the original game would just be wasted :(

Seems pretty odd they'll just jump to PS4 halfway through (DW-XL-EMPIRES) and not wait until something like DW9 where people would be prepared for it and they could burst in with ramped up gameplay.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jibo posted:

A question about OPPW2. Do characters now only have one SP/Musou attack? I figured that the "form changing" SP attacks would be taken out with the addition of the Style attacks but after spending some time with Tony Chopper last night it looks like his Monster Point is completely gone as far as I can tell and that's a real drat bummer. Also Franky Shogun only shows up to spin around and fall over.

Still digging the game though but Chopper went from one of the most fun characters to one of the most frustrating to play pretty hard in the transition.

Also, does anyone know how to get the gold coins for the Crew Episode stages? Do I have to S rank them?

Not sure what SP attacks are, but each character should have at least two musou attacks, from what I seen: One in normal mode and one in style action mode.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Unlucky7 posted:

Played through a few missions of One Piece Warriors 2, and it is the most mook-murderingest Musou game aside from WO3. Not to mention that there are craploads of combos.
Gomu Gomu No UFO supremacy.

Also, you unlock another special at around level 20, so all characters have three, four if you count the thing that happens after a crew attack. (There's a way to unlock PW1 Strawhats, as well.)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

Not sure what SP attacks are, but each character should have at least two musou attacks, from what I seen: One in normal mode and one in style action mode.

SP attacks are what they call the musou attacks in this and DWG for whatever reason.

And I always forget about the regular SP attack during style mode because I always just wait until I can tag my partner in instead but either way, no Monster point that I can see.

Also I answered my own question about the gold coins, you do have to get S Rank on the Crew Episodes to get that character's gold coin. Apparently you can also see how you get the secret treasure for a level in the pause menu, which is pretty cool. Coin collecting is way better this time around.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Tecmo Koei confirmed Samurai Warriors 4 is coming to PS3 as well.

And here's some BASARA 4 gameplay to taunt you with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxMQTgOWNio

You will never play this game in English.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
There's a sale called the "Big in Japan sale" on the PSN in EU & Australia/New Zealand until the (seemingly)18th September and it's got a few games in it:

"PSN EU Blog posted:

Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires
Was €44.99/£34.99/AU$62.95, now €24.99/£19.99/AU$29.95
Additional 10% off for PS Plus members

Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage 2 (Not available in NZ)
Was €49.99/£39.99/AU$69.95, now €24.99/£19.99/AU$29.95

One Piece: Pirate Warriors
Was €39.99/£29.99/AU$49.95, now €19.99/£15.99/AU$24.95

Warriors Orochi 3
Was €29.99/£19.99/AU$39.95, now €14.99/£10.99/AU$17.95

Also, is the Samurai Warriors HD remake getting a release outside of Japan? I can't find any info & I really like the look of it, having not played a SW game yet.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Please for the love of God make SW4 come to the west! I'd settle for SW2 HD too.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Samurai Warriors 2/XL is the first Warriors game I did absolutely everything you could in my save was at around 600 hours last time I looked at it. I'm not sure if I'm prepared for that game to be re-released.

In OPPW news, according to the coin system Boa Hancock is romantically involved with ever person who is not herself or a talking reindeer. Which means that her coin can give a pretty big boost when wedged between two people once you have the slots in your treasure board.

Also if you were wondering how they would put Bartholomew Kuma in the game without him being retardly over powered, they really didn't and so far he feels like Lu Bu with laser beams in this drat game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jibo posted:

Samurai Warriors 2/XL is the first Warriors game I did absolutely everything you could in my save was at around 600 hours last time I looked at it. I'm not sure if I'm prepared for that game to be re-released.

In OPPW news, according to the coin system Boa Hancock is romantically involved with ever person who is not herself or a talking reindeer. Which means that her coin can give a pretty big boost when wedged between two people once you have the slots in your treasure board.

Also if you were wondering how they would put Bartholomew Kuma in the game without him being retardly over powered, they really didn't and so far he feels like Lu Bu with laser beams in this drat game.

Wait until you get Double Fruit Blackbeard. It's like straight up cheating! He has Whitebeard's second Musou as his FIRST Musou!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Yu Jin added to XL, prepare for the voice actors to not be able to tell him and Yue Jin apart; "complete" details here.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 11, 2013

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

"Triple edged spear" as his weapon.

And he plays a big role in Fan Castle (which is apparently the "BIG BATTLE!" in this one as opposed to Chi Bi).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Here's a few screenshots for Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends on PS4, for fun here's a comparison image between PS3 and PS4 versions.

PlayStation 3...

Becomes PlayStation 4!

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I am TOTALLY waiting to get that for the PS4 :getin:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Considering how hard I plowed right through DW8, I am legit excited about the prospect of starting it all over again on my PS4.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's the over/under on how many numbered titles before they start making real use of the advanced hardware for their Warrior games? I played very little or skipped a lot of the Dynasty Warrior games this generation so I couldn't tell you where that leap in visuals was. (Only one I played for a number of hours was 7 Empires)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The most recent one had dynamic lighting, even more dudes on screen, and modifiable terrain while maintaining decently detailed models.

Sure they could probably push it a fair bit further but the game looks fairly decent as it is and it's not exactly a AAA budget title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It took until DW7 for the PS3/360 gen Warriors games to shine, but I have to admit that the One Piece games manage to knock it out of the park on sheer aesthetics. When DW9 rolls around for the PS4 (and maybe Xbone hahaha) we'll get a better idea of where Tecmo Koei and Omega Force is at for the next gen.