Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
It looks like I can get a set of the new Pirelli Angel GTs off the internet shipped and mounted for $360. I went around to the local motorcycle shops to see if they could come close and I could give them my money but prices range from $430 to $500. It's like they're begging people to buy things off the internet, I don't know how they can't even get close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Where are the wear indicators on the Pilot Road 3? I have a baby's first trackday coming up in a few weeks and I'm curious if I should be replacing my rear tire before then. Any ideas?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's these things inside the tread. Sometimes they're pretty small and hard to notice.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
It's recommended to get new tyres when the thread depth goes lower than 2mm. :)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Coincidentally about as tall as the wear indicators.

Also, you'll be fine on those tires bsamu.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

That's simple enough, thanks for the quick feedback!

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

M42 posted:

It's these things inside the tread. Sometimes they're pretty small and hard to notice.

I wish I had read this earlier. Did not realise my back tire tread was massively under - thought it was the actual patterned tread that was the measuring device :eng101:

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
Always do a pre-trip inspection, folks. I was checking the pressure today and noticed some cracking around the rim. It's an '05, but it only had 5300 miles on it... Today I learned that tires need to be replaced due to age. Thanks, internet!

Also, I'm going to go ahead an assume that I should stick with a brand that I've heard of. After doing some online shopping, I found someplace called Shinko selling $68.00 fronts :torgue:

The've been feeling squidgy around corners. Probably because they're hard as granite.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Shinko is literally Cheng Shin V2.0. Make of that what you will.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
They're $68 for a reason. If you're going for budget and your bike has normal sized wheels, buy take-offs. You'll probably pay less and end up with a baller set of tires with a bunch of life left in them.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

bsamu posted:

That's simple enough, thanks for the quick feedback!

On Michelin's they're in-line with the Michelin man on the sidewall ;)

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

bsamu posted:

Where are the wear indicators on the Pilot Road 3? I have a baby's first trackday coming up in a few weeks and I'm curious if I should be replacing my rear tire before then. Any ideas?

End result:

Tires held up great! I thought I felt a bit of sliding on corner exit when I started giving it a bit more throttle but I'm not sure (because I don't push the bike enough to notice it yet). At what point would I need grippier tires? When I can't hold the corner speeds/throttle use that I want when I'm turning? On the track I went from terrified to almost confident over the course of the day so I'm not surprised that the tires felt fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Move to track oriented tires after your first day if you're giving as good as you're getting in C group. Once you're in B, move to DOT race tires. You don't need the additional stick based on laptimes but they are more forgiving and will slide and hook back up better if you get in over your head.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Question for those more knowledgeable than me - I recently replaced my Bridgestone Battleax bt023 and I think bt017 tyres with a battleax bt54r combo. I was not aware at the time that this combo was such old technology and since putting them on, I have noticed distinctly less traction, even in situations where I am not pushing the tyre remotely to its limits. For example, yesterday, going over a shallow puddle, my rear slid out at 10mph so much that I nearly lowsided. I was in first gear, roughly 2k rpm, and wasn't jittery on my throttle in the slightest, my rear just went for a ball of poo poo. I also noticed loss of traction in first, second and third if I put power down too quickly. My gut feel is the tyre has been sitting around for a really long time and the rubber has hardened or there is some other serious flaw in the tyre itself. I've put 500 miles on them, so it can't be the silicone layer, at least I hope not.

Should I wait it out? Replace them? I am at a loss as to what to do, as the shop where I bought them has said I have used them past the point they will take them back, and nowhere seems willing to trade them in on a new set. I don't particularly feel like writing off $200 and then spending an additional $300 on a new set, leaving me essentially $500 out of pocket. What can I do with these godsawful tyres?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Massive burnout.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Motorcycle tyres aren't flat. Do some slaloms with lots of side to side to scuff the sides.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Shimrod posted:

Massive burnout.

:getin:

KARMA! posted:

Motorcycle tyres aren't flat. Do some slaloms with lots of side to side to scuff the sides.

I do, every morning on my way to work, and on my way home in the evening I slalom through every repeated road marking, and often slalom for shits and giggles. Irritates my girlfriend beyond words and she'll berate me for "driving all over the road!" and "why can't you just drive in a straight line like a normal person?" , to which I try and explain that riding like that prepares me for potential hazards and improves my avoidance skills, or that it's just .. fun? It never goes down well though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How old are the tires? I'd check the date code and then harass the dealership or shop to trade them in, because theyre probably ancient. Otherwise, if the dates are ok check pressures and make sure they were reinstalled correctly/etc.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Z3n posted:

How old are the tires? I'd check the date code and then harass the dealership or shop to trade them in, because theyre probably ancient. Otherwise, if the dates are ok check pressures and make sure they were reinstalled correctly/etc.

19 week of 2001. Fantastic. Taking it further because they are not budging about replacement.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sildargod posted:

19 week of 2001. Fantastic. Taking it further because they are not budging about replacement.

Wow. They sold you loving 12 year old tires. Thats crazy. At best, 2x past their usable age. I'd contact the maker of the tire and see if they can put pressure on the dealership too.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
That's loving appalling.

From Bridgestone's .au website:
"...tyre companies, including Bridgestone, warrant their tyres against manufacturing and material defects for five years from the date of manufacture. Based on their understanding a number of vehicle manufacturers are now advising against the use of tyres that are more than six years old due to the effects of ageing."

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Bridgestone are going to be assessing the tyres tomorrow, it appears I was mistaken though, the tyres were manufactured earlier this year. They do say that they are going to see what steps can be taken if I am very unhappy with the tyres (I am) so it appears things will hopefully end on a high note.

Bazacko
Nov 23, 2008
I'm looking for advice on track tires.

Dunlop Q2s have worked great for me so far, even after I moved up to the advanced group, but I'm starting to feel small slips under trail braking and at max lean. So I'm looking at the D211 MEGA DEAL for my next set of tires: http://stores.racetireservice.com/-strse-52/200-fdsh-55x17-200-fdsh-55-200-Mega/Detail.bok

If I go with the "med+" compound front and rear, is that still an improvement over Q2 levels of grip? Or would I start sliding the D211 in the first few sessions of my next trackday?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bazacko posted:

Dunlop Q2s have worked great for me so far, even after I moved up to the advanced group, but I'm starting to feel small slips under trail braking and at max lean. So I'm looking at the D211 MEGA DEAL for my next set of tires: http://stores.racetireservice.com/-strse-52/200-fdsh-55x17-200-fdsh-55-200-Mega/Detail.bok

If I go with the "med+" compound front and rear, is that still an improvement over Q2 levels of grip? Or would I start sliding the D211 in the first few sessions of my next trackday?

Yes, they will be better than the Q2s, and you can slide any tire with enough throttle and lean angle, so that's sort of an irrelevant metric.

FWIW, if you're in B group and you're sliding under trail braking and max lean you probably need to work on your lines.

Bazacko
Nov 23, 2008

Z3n posted:

Yes, they will be better than the Q2s, and you can slide any tire with enough throttle and lean angle, so that's sort of an irrelevant metric.

FWIW, if you're in B group and you're sliding under trail braking and max lean you probably need to work on your lines.

Oh I'm in A group, not that my lines couldn't use work. Not only am I outriding the Q2s, they started to delaminate in strips at the last trackday :stare:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bazacko posted:

Oh I'm in A group, not that my lines couldn't use work. Not only am I outriding the Q2s, they started to delaminate in strips at the last trackday :stare:

Yeah you should definitely be running DOT race tires then. I'd like to see pictures of that delamination if you have them though!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Bazacko posted:

They don't work as well cold as the Q2's but after they get some heat yeah, the med+ will be stickier than a Q2.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Thanks for pointing this out. Ballin' deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You'll probably thrash that soft in a day though.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Just make it a race day.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Still makes sense economically. I'll have to wait another two sets before switching to the Pirelli red stripes.

Bazacko
Nov 23, 2008

Spiffness posted:

Still makes sense economically. I'll have to wait another two sets before switching to the Pirelli red stripes.
First time I've heard of these tires, but if this review is to be believed then they were pretty much designed for me. Do you know anyone who's used them?

Z3n posted:

Yeah you should definitely be running DOT race tires then. I'd like to see pictures of that delamination if you have them though!

The suspension guy said he'd never seen Q2s do this before. Pressures were 32/32 cold.

Zool posted:

They don't work as well cold as the Q2's but after they get some heat yeah, the med+ will be stickier than a Q2.
What do you mean they don't work well cold?

Bazacko fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 11, 2013

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Wow, that's nuts. Which tire guy was it?

The Dunlop guy is good but isn't nearly as good as KFG. Though since they're a Pirelli shop now they'll probably say... ride the Pirellis.

Did you do that at Ridge? Did you drop into the high 140's or something? Surprised to see such a massive difference in how you wore that tire.

Edit: Z3n runs the red stripes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rear and front?

The red stripes are good but they do have a tendency to start to slide earlier than proper slicks. But they come back in line just as nicely, so it's sort of good practice with how your setup reacts to sliding/etc, seeing how the bike finishes corners with the rear right on the limits. Good tires - I'll probably run a rear paired with an SC2 front and replace after 6-8 days. Or 2 takeoff fronts to one red stripe rear.

I've got a pile of DOTs and slicks here to try out though, looking forward to being able to do back to back comparisons.

Bazacko
Nov 23, 2008
Only the rear delaminated. I was definitely hauling rear end, probably low 1:50s.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's weird, I've never seen that kind of chunking happen to a Q2.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

sildargod posted:

Bridgestone are going to be assessing the tyres tomorrow, it appears I was mistaken though, the tyres were manufactured earlier this year. They do say that they are going to see what steps can be taken if I am very unhappy with the tyres (I am) so it appears things will hopefully end on a high note.

Whatever happened with this? I've run several pairs of BT45s over the years with no issues, except premature squaring off on a 140, which was unnecessarily wide for my bike.

Came here to ask about BT45s, actually, kind of. I was given (!) a set of wheels in excellent condition with nearly new Kenda Cruisers (K671, I think) on them. How do they compare to BT45s? I'm going to ride them until I need new ones, just because of their condition and cost, but I'm just wondering what to expect out of them. They're 130/70/18 rear, 110/70/17 front, so same size as the BT45s I prefer. What's the word on K671 compound, shape, longevity, wet traction, etc? I ride about 50% street, about 50% spirited backroads, and never track. Bike is a Yamaha XJ600.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Read almost the entire thread over the course of a couple weeks, and just ordered my first new pair of tires for this bike:

:woop:
I've been wearing down the old tires that the PO had put on it, not even sure what brand they are. I have a feeling it'll be like an entirely different bike once I slap these babies on. Thanks for all the info guys.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Coming from Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas on my Street Triple to my new Dunlop Q3 I have to agree with Z3n's OP. The Pirellis are softer/grippier by a wide margin.

This is based on one weekend on the Q3s. I hope the Q3s improve as right now I am wishing I spent the extra $100 on the Corsas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Whatever happened with this? I've run several pairs of BT45s over the years with no issues, except premature squaring off on a 140, which was unnecessarily wide for my bike.

Came here to ask about BT45s, actually, kind of. I was given (!) a set of wheels in excellent condition with nearly new Kenda Cruisers (K671, I think) on them. How do they compare to BT45s? I'm going to ride them until I need new ones, just because of their condition and cost, but I'm just wondering what to expect out of them. They're 130/70/18 rear, 110/70/17 front, so same size as the BT45s I prefer. What's the word on K671 compound, shape, longevity, wet traction, etc? I ride about 50% street, about 50% spirited backroads, and never track. Bike is a Yamaha XJ600.

The BT45s for me in the past any time the temp got a little cold they became hard like comb rubber. There are a Pirelli Sport Demon tires. They are grippy and the profile makes turn in fast and smooth. The only downside is that they wear pretty fast between 6K and 7K mile they are about shot.

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/motorcycle/sheet/sport_demon.html?url=%3Fsubtype%3Droad

• Locked thread