Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

zimboe posted:

Here is a question about these very forums-though I suspect there may be no solid answer.
It is a serious question and is not meant to be a slur or troll to anyone here.

I've been on here for nine years or so, and my general impression is that the average age has increased since I joined. I think the really young kids go to tumblr and reddit now; it's pretty rare to see high school kids posting on here. A lot of people seem to be early to mid 20's.

When I first joined I only really knew about GBS, but I don't think I've been there in six or seven years now because it doesn't appeal to me at all. Find sub forums and even threads that interest you and subscribe to them. You'll get to know the people in each thread and you'll likely knock out the worst people since you are in a thread for something that very specifically interests you.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mouse Cadet posted:

My bank called me because someone was using my credit card in another country and they flagged it as potentially fraud (it was!). Other than having the card closed, is there anything else I should do?

Not really. Just make sure that you follow the bank's procedure for fraud and fill in the right forms with them.

Keep an eye on your credit rating to make sure nothing else has been compromised.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Mouse Cadet posted:

My bank called me because someone was using my credit card in another country and they flagged it as potentially fraud (it was!). Other than having the card closed, is there anything else I should do?

Check your credit report for anything irregular, but not much else.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Just checked it and it looked fine. The bank will be sending me some forms to fill out and a new card.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If Galileo drops two balls from the Tower of Pisa on Tuesday, requiring gravity to pull the balls down, and drops no balls on Wednesday, how is the conservation of energy not broken since the earth was using more gravity on Tuesday?

If a massive fleet of spaceships constantly dropped foreign objects on a planet, would the planet run out of gravity with which to pull them down? If not, how does that not violate the conservation of energy?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Baron Porkface posted:

If Galileo drops two balls from the Tower of Pisa on Tuesday, requiring gravity to pull the balls down, and drops no balls on Wednesday, how is the conservation of energy not broken since the earth was using more gravity on Tuesday?

Earth's gravity is always pulling things towards it, regardless of whether the things are in the air or not. Earth doesn't facultatively "use" gravity on things when required.

Baron Porkface posted:

If a massive fleet of spaceships constantly dropped foreign objects on a planet, would the planet run out of gravity with which to pull them down? If not, how does that not violate the conservation of energy?

Likewise. Gravity is just there as a fundamental property of something with mass. The foreign objects also have mass, and therefore also have gravity. The objects don't "fall" to the planet so much as they and the planet move towards each other. However, this movement is a function of their mass, and because the planet is (likely) so significantly bigger than the objects, it's not going to move a detectable amount.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The short answer is that you, or the balls, or the spaceships, pull back on the planet a little bit. Energy isn't created or destroyed by gravity.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Xenoborg posted:

The short answer is that you, or the balls, or the spaceships, pull back on the planet a little bit.

Not a little bit. You/balls/whatever pull on the planet just as hard as it is pulling on you. The difference is that you are way, way easier to move than the planet is.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is Gravity energy?

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Gravity energy?

Potentially

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Gravity energy?

Nope! Gravity is a force. Like any force it can put energy into things, but it itself isn't energy. It doesn't violate conservation laws any more than a person moving furniture does.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Is there any specific reason why a redneck would choose to fly the third confederate flag instead of the more recognized version? Just wondering if it stands for something in particular, a neighbor down the road has one. The flag in question looks like this:

I live in Arkansas in case it matters and isn't obvious.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm about to lie about my penis size on the internet! How large is small enough to be reasonably believable?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Randomity posted:

Is there any specific reason why a redneck would choose to fly the third confederate flag instead of the more recognized version?

You have hipster rednecks :v:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm about to lie about my penis size on the internet! How large is small enough to be reasonably believable?

The popularly quoted "average" is six inches, and the world record longest that has been actually measured is 13.5. I would say shoot for 8-9.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is everything closed in Mexico on Sundays, compared to the US?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Gravity energy?

Nope. A moving object has kinetic energy, and gravity causes things to move towards each other, but it also make it hard for things to move away from each other. In the ball-drop, you're correct that the balls dump mass * velocity^2 energy into the earth when they hit the ground, and this energy can't come from nowhere. Galileo spent his reserves of chemical energy fighting against gravity when he hauled those balls up to the top of the Tower of Piza.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

RFX posted:

I just moved into a new apartment and want to put up a shower mirror. The walls of the shower are this fake tile thing, I think it's called laminate I'm not sure, it just kind of looks like small tiles but there's no grout between them and it feels plastic.

The shower mirror uses silicone glue. Is this something that will damage the shower walls after I move out, or is it pretty safe? Would I be better putting the mirror on the glass doors?
What about using suction cups, instead?

I have a mirror on a scissors-extender-thing that I attached to the drywall just outside the shower.

Drywall is easy to patch. Whatever that stuff is you are about to mangle could require replacing a 6x3 section of it, which might be expensive.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Nighthand posted:

The popularly quoted "average" is six inches, and the world record longest that has been actually measured is 13.5. I would say shoot for 8-9.
If you said 9, I'd assume you were lying. I'd say 7-8. But I'd mention that you'd always been told it was quite thick. Chicks dig that.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

photomikey posted:

If you said 9, I'd assume you were lying. I'd say 7-8. But I'd mention that you'd always been told it was quite thick. Chicks dig that.

no man with a big cock has ever measured, nor felt the need to measure. If someone tells you how big his cock is he's lying and you should de-robe him immediately, in public, with the girl of his dreams present.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm pretty sure if you say it's above average then most people will just assume you're lying anyway.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I know it's a reference, but I don't know to what.

It's a motorized wheelchair with a red dot on the front of it. It appears in this episode of futurama: http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/Where_No_Fan_Has_Gone_Before

And I also know there's a South Park episode that has a character in a similar wheelchair. What is this referring to?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

N. Senada posted:

It's a motorized wheelchair with a red dot on the front of it. It appears in this episode of futurama: http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/Where_No_Fan_Has_Gone_Before

And I also know there's a South Park episode that has a character in a similar wheelchair. What is this referring to?

Captain Pike from Star Trek.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Randomity posted:

Is there any specific reason why a redneck would choose to fly the third confederate flag instead of the more recognized version? Just wondering if it stands for something in particular, a neighbor down the road has one. The flag in question looks like this:

I live in Arkansas in case it matters and isn't obvious.
The more recognized version is technically the battle flag of the Confederacy, whereas that one is just the nation's official flag. People have pointed out that the common use of the battle flag in particular is more aggressive/hostile, so use of the general flag may be to emphasize the whole "heritage, not hate" thing (not that I think that that argument holds up, but it might be the intent)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

N. Senada posted:

It's from Star Trek, the original series. In it, Commander Pike (Bruce Greenwood in the new JJ Abrams movies) was gravely injured:

Memory Alpha posted:

Pike was aboard a training vessel, an old Class J starship, when a baffle plate ruptured and exposed many helpless trainees and cadets to delta-particle radiation. Pike dragged many cadets from the danger but, in the process, was hopelessly crippled by the rays. The disfigured Pike was put on a form of advanced life support which sustained his withered body and life functions, but he was too weak and incapacitated to ever move or respond to physical stimuli again. A wheelchair that was tuned to his brain could use blinking light signals to respond to simple queries in the affirmative (one flash) or negative (two flashes), but that was the extent to which he could communicate.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Has anyone here ever made food in a lab autoclave? Google turns up some jokey posts, but I want recipes. I figure, if anyone has actually done this before, they're probably a goon.

(No, it's not an autoclave that has been used for infectious materials or anything that can harm me. I may be an idiot, but I'm not a complete moron.)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

An autoclave is pretty much a big pressure cooker. It could work well for making preserves.

But if it was ever used for making growth medium, you probably won't get the smell of yeast extract out. Eugh.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

het posted:

The more recognized version is technically the battle flag of the Confederacy, whereas that one is just the nation's official flag. People have pointed out that the common use of the battle flag in particular is more aggressive/hostile, so use of the general flag may be to emphasize the whole "heritage, not hate" thing (not that I think that that argument holds up, but it might be the intent)

Technically, the "Confederate flag" that most people think of was only ever used (in that exact version) as the battle flag of the Army of Tennessee. The CSA went though a bunch of different national flags in its short existence, but the one the neighbor is flying was indeed the final version. So I don't know, maybe he's just a stickler for historical accuracy.

More detail than you'd ever want, as always, is at Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I have a friend at work who often asks for anybody to accompany him to the movies. He seems really embarrassed about going alone. Is this a common thing among Americans? I go to the cinema alone all the time.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Are you sure he's doing it because he's embarrassed about going alone? Could be he just enjoys the company. It's a lot more fun to go to a movie with someone else, even if you don't know them well (you always have the movie to talk about anyway.)

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

systran posted:

I've been on here for nine years or so, and my general impression is that the average age has increased since I joined. I think the really young kids go to tumblr and reddit now; it's pretty rare to see high school kids posting on here. A lot of people seem to be early to mid 20's.

When I first joined I only really knew about GBS, but I don't think I've been there in six or seven years now because it doesn't appeal to me at all. Find sub forums and even threads that interest you and subscribe to them. You'll get to know the people in each thread and you'll likely knock out the worst people since you are in a thread for something that very specifically interests you.

Thank you for a good answer. I guess that's all I can do.
My post was a bit snarky- but wise-assery seems to be wired right into my brain. That's about as serious as I can ever get. It's just the way the world looks to me.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Baron Bifford posted:

I have a friend at work who often asks for anybody to accompany him to the movies. He seems really embarrassed about going alone. Is this a common thing among Americans? I go to the cinema alone all the time.

I don't know about America, but I know I don't really go to the cinema alone. It's not that it's embarrassing or anything, it's just that it's not really something I do. There's plenty of films which I wouldn't mind seeing but I'm not going to bother unless someone asks. I'd go and see pacific rim if someone asked, but I'm not going to bother going and seeing it on my own.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Baron Bifford posted:

I would go see a movie by myself. My wife, on the other hand, would not. It seems like it's really more of a personal thing than an American thing.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Going to the cinema is a social event in my opinion, I wouldn't go alone.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'm thinking about getting an Apple TV but don't have a subscription to HBO or cable. I'm guessing I can't just subscribe to HBO without first getting cable, right?

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Here's a relevant Onion article on the subject of attending movies by one's self.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I snuck out of work opening day for Inglourious Basterds and watched by myself, I felt weird.

(I had been looking forward to it so much and built it up to be the Jesus of movies and knew the only way I could see it anytime soon was going by myself.)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
When I was single I went to a few movies alone. You can look around the theater and tell it isn't common, but it isn't freakish either. I would also go out to eat alone so maybe it's just me, because people don't do that either.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Noni posted:

Has anyone here ever made food in a lab autoclave? Google turns up some jokey posts, but I want recipes. I figure, if anyone has actually done this before, they're probably a goon.

(No, it's not an autoclave that has been used for infectious materials or anything that can harm me. I may be an idiot, but I'm not a complete moron.)

One of the techs for a lab I used to teach in said one of her colleagues at a previous workplace once cooked a turkey in an autoclave for thanksgiving. She said it took just a few minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

One of the techs for a lab I used to teach in said one of her colleagues at a previous workplace once cooked a turkey in an autoclave for thanksgiving. She said it took just a few minutes!

I'm inclined to call bullshit on this. Heat will only diffuse through the meat but so quickly. At an extremely high temp, the outside would burn to a crisp before the inside has a chance to get to a foodsafe temperature.