Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Niwrad posted:

Alison is an experienced writer and has written for a bunch of major publications. While her comedy doesn't mesh well with Adam, I think she's a generally funny person. Depending on what it's about, her book might be funny. She's got some good stories from her career that she never gets a chance to tell on the show.

I"m not saying that she doesn't have the skill, not at all. I'm saying she doesn't have the will. From everything I've heard of her over the years, I can't imagine her actually doing it.

ON that note, she can't even decide on what picture to go with for her podcast, and is being neurotic over that. That's why I'm saying there's no way she actually finishes a book anytime soon.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Niwrad posted:

Alison is an experienced writer and has written for a bunch of major publications. While her comedy doesn't mesh well with Adam, I think she's a generally funny person. Depending on what it's about, her book might be funny. She's got some good stories from her career that she never gets a chance to tell on the show.

I really like her own podcast, she has good interviews and she does a show with the worker bees at the studio. I'd definitely read her book before baldys.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

What's the deal with the sniffing thing that Adam always does?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The Experiment posted:

Oh man, that's a funny story actually. He does it as a punctuation for any profound, witty or insightful thought; the louder and longer the sniff the more deep the knowledge he just dropped. I think someone else here can elaborate better, but basically the funny part is it's something Anderson from Loveline started, then at some point Bryan got Carolla to start doing it.

Great story, I know.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Compelling, and rich.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

The Experiment posted:

It's meant to imitate the way blowhardy guys will give a little smug sniff when they think they've said something profound or insightful. I don't know if it's a real thing or something Adam made up but basically it's a joke that he made a year ago and repeats every single day because repetition is the key to comedy.

By the way, did you hear Oprah made the cover of her magazine again? Hahaha boy I never get tired of that one!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If you listen to the latest podcast from Adam's wife (For Crying out Loud), it sure sounds like they are awfully close to divorce.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Niwrad posted:

If you listen to the latest podcast from Adam's wife (For Crying out Loud), it sure sounds like they are awfully close to divorce.

But he makes so much money and works so hard! She should thank him more and not expect anything beyond that. Why doesn't she do what he wants all of the time, he makes the money! What is this country coming to? Jk, she'll get half his poo poo and get to keep the kids and nanny and he'll have to find a new maid. Hopefully he gets the house with the car in the office.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Ariza posted:

But he makes so much money and works so hard! She should thank him more and not expect anything beyond that. Why doesn't she do what he wants all of the time, he makes the money! What is this country coming to? Jk, she'll get half his poo poo and get to keep the kids and nanny and he'll have to find a new maid. Hopefully he gets the house with the car in the office.

From everything I've heard they both sound like huge pains in the rear end.

What happened on For Crying Out Loud?

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Ez posted:

From everything I've heard they both sound like huge pains in the rear end.

What happened on For Crying Out Loud?

I think Lynette said that Adam wasn't focusing enough on his family or the kids' education, so she felt she was justified, nay, compelled to shame him. Family and education, people. She considered the alternative of not making GBS threads out so many kids, but unfortunately it was too late for that. Also she spent an afternoon making dinner for him, but used salmon instead of whitefish and he called her out on it.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

She took the kids and "left" him because hes being a sperg.

She spent 2 hours making fish tacos for him and the first thing he said was that he'd rather have white fish next time. Most of their fighting seems like typical 'men think logically, women emotionally' stuff, they could easily work it out if he didn't work so much. I think its strange that she's willing to be so open about this family issue on his podcast network.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Man, who could have seen this coming?

Adam, maybe you get such lovely attitude from every minimum-wage worked because you're an rear end in a top hat? Amazingly I interact with the same people you do and get nothing but friendly service because I say things like "Please" and actually respond like a human when they ask my how I am.

I also have a theory that Adam's lack of using soap means he stinks but surrounds himself with people who will deny it Emperor's New Clothes style. So, yea, a dude who stinks who's also giving you attitude over every little thing? Might be why you get lovely service in life, Adam.

I hope Lynette leaves him, she deserves better. He's becoming a cold bitter husk of a man who's turning to conservative media for a quick buck.

Wow, sorry, this turned into a rant. I used to listen to Adam all the time but hearing Fox News every time the topic turned to anything political got old real loving fast.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Boinks posted:

She took the kids and "left" him because hes being a sperg.

She spent 2 hours making fish tacos for him and the first thing he said was that he'd rather have white fish next time. Most of their fighting seems like typical 'men think logically, women emotionally' stuff, they could easily work it out if he didn't work so much. I think its strange that she's willing to be so open about this family issue on his podcast network.

When it comes to Lynette complaining he isn't that involved with the kids education I'm usually on Adam's side since he works incredibly hard to earn a good living and as far as I know Lynette doesn't work nearly as many hours as him (does she still have a job even?) plus they have a full-time nanny. My dad was the same way, didn't take a big interest in my education and spent most of his time building his business and I turned out just fine. Keep in mind too they live in LA where things are way different than the rest of the world, parents are expected to be super involved with every aspect of school, like Adam often talks about. My dad would have never taken a whole weekday off to run a bakesale or something for my class, no way. I think Adam deserves a little more slack in that department, though admittedly we don't know the full extent of it.

On the other hand, Adam being an rear end in a top hat like in the fish taco incident or bitching about leaving lights on and caps off of jars is completely his fault and I totally agree with Lynette about that.

I'm also willing to bet that Adam's latest foray into therepy is an ultimatum by her.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I don't understand how its a hugely insensitive, dickish thing to tell someone, "hey thanks for the tacos, I'll eat this, but next time I prefer whitefish." How loving delicate are people's sensibilities and egos that that line would legitimately hurt someone's feelings.

Also, Frank Stallone is the worst.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ez posted:

I'm also willing to bet that Adam's latest foray into therepy is an ultimatum by her.

I thought he has been very pro-therapy for a while.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

visuvius posted:

I don't understand how its a hugely insensitive, dickish thing to tell someone, "hey thanks for the tacos, I'll eat this, but next time I prefer whitefish." How loving delicate are people's sensibilities and egos that that line would legitimately hurt someone's

Do you think he said it like that? I doubt it. Even if he did, it's not this one incident that makes him a jerk in that relationship, it's all the little things he does that add up and this may just be one of the final straws. It's mostly speculation anyway.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I thought he has been very pro-therapy for a while.

Yeah he always has been but I don't think he has done it in a long time. The timing just seems a bit coincidental, especially since he has said he doesn't have much free time anymore, I don't know if he would go of his own volition.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Holy poo poo. I couldn't stop laughing at Pure Retro Rockin' Rock on the Adam and Drew Show.

"I'm drunk... ON WHISKEY!"

"WHISKEY DRINKIN' GYPSY DEVIL CAJUN QUEEN FROM NEW ORLEANS!"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It seems more about him complaining that Lynette doesn't work hard enough on the Mangria stuff. And that she doesn't do exactly what he tells her to do all the time. I don't think the fish tacos was much more than a final straw for her.

Adam might be right on a lot of things, but he's also a huge narcissist who surrounds himself with lackeys he can push around to feed his ego. Just listen to Ace on the House and you can see how Adam treats a friend. Heck, he is even a complete rear end in a top hat to Drew on their podcast together half the time. Now if that's how he treats his two friends, I can only imagine how he treats his wife in real life. Maybe Lynette does some lovely stuff here and there, but it sure seems like he does nothing but berate her for not being the breadwinner and not working hard enough on stuff he tells her to.

One of the most ironic things is how much Adam complains about how his family never listens to his shows or reads his books, but Lynette has made it clear that Adam has never heard her podcast once.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Grant DaNasty posted:

Holy poo poo. I couldn't stop laughing at Pure Retro Rockin' Rock on the Adam and Drew Show.

"I'm drunk... ON WHISKEY!"

"WHISKEY DRINKIN' GYPSY DEVIL CAJUN QUEEN FROM NEW ORLEANS!"

Dude I think I'm going to order the Man Show box set or something after listening to that. I never really caught it when it was on the air but I know they had some funny bits. Pretty much any of the ones they play the audio of on the show make me laugh. Adams "serious guy" acting is hilarious.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I can empathize with the fish taco thing. The worst fight my wife and I have ever been in was a similar fight over mayonnaise vs. Miracle Whip.

Some hills are worth dying on.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

visuvius posted:

Dude I think I'm going to order the Man Show box set or something after listening to that. I never really caught it when it was on the air but I know they had some funny bits. Pretty much any of the ones they play the audio of on the show make me laugh. Adams "serious guy" acting is hilarious.
The Man Show was really funny, and so many people judged it without watching it. If you were to look at the commercials, and the live audience, you'd think it was the most horrible unfunny show ever. But it was actually really satirical, and was pretty much a send-up of chauvinistic male culture.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The name and marketing for the show made it seem like something it wasn't. It was actually just a funny sketch comedy show. I wonder if Adam's career would have gone differently if that show wasn't based around "manliness" or whatever. If it was just presented as a regular sketch comedy show with two guys hosting.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Honestly? I'd be pretty upset if I couldn't tell my wife of 10~ years that I don't prefer white fish without her freaking the gently caress out, I'd be rather upset over the whole thing. I get that context can go a long way to skew the argument in either direction, but in that sense she's being dramatic.

WampaLord posted:

Man, who could have seen this coming?

Adam, maybe you get such lovely attitude from every minimum-wage worked because you're an rear end in a top hat? Amazingly I interact with the same people you do and get nothing but friendly service because I say things like "Please" and actually respond like a human when they ask my how I am.

I also have a theory that Adam's lack of using soap means he stinks but surrounds himself with people who will deny it Emperor's New Clothes style. So, yea, a dude who stinks who's also giving you attitude over every little thing? Might be why you get lovely service in life, Adam.

I hope Lynette leaves him, she deserves better. He's becoming a cold bitter husk of a man who's turning to conservative media for a quick buck.

Wow, sorry, this turned into a rant. I used to listen to Adam all the time but hearing Fox News every time the topic turned to anything political got old real loving fast.

Are you talking about LA? Because the city of Los Angeles is an entirely different beast in every way. Absolutely every way. I currently live in Albuquerque, and if someone said that about ABQ I'd raise question, but in LA gently caress no people are the worst there. Also I don't like hearing his rants repetitively, but I do like listening to what he has to say about his conservative views. I honestly do believe though that a lot of the issues come from people really not understanding that most super successful people are working 80-100 hour weeks, and resentment comes from that.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Niwrad posted:

The name and marketing for the show made it seem like something it wasn't. It was actually just a funny sketch comedy show. I wonder if Adam's career would have gone differently if that show wasn't based around "manliness" or whatever. If it was just presented as a regular sketch comedy show with two guys hosting.

Adam did a great job of describing it once by saying the media painted it as a chauvinistic show where they put down women and praised men, but men (and most often Jimmy and Adam themselves) were always the butt of the joke. Really I think it was the girls jumping on trampolines that everyone picked up and ran with without actually watching the sketches.

Ez fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 10, 2013

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Veskit posted:

Are you talking about LA? Because the city of Los Angeles is an entirely different beast in every way. Absolutely every way. I currently live in Albuquerque, and if someone said that about ABQ I'd raise question, but in LA gently caress no people are the worst there. Also I don't like hearing his rants repetitively, but I do like listening to what he has to say about his conservative views. I honestly do believe though that a lot of the issues come from people really not understanding that most super successful people are working 80-100 hour weeks, and resentment comes from that.

Dude, I live in LA. For all the talk people say about how LA is different from everywhere else, it's really not. People are just as friendly as anywhere else, it's just assholes like Adam who spark this kind of reaction. Have you been to LA for more than a weekend, or are you forming your opinion based off conjecture you've heard from other people?

For example, I fly out of LAX all the time and I'm always treated decently by the airport personnel. This is because I use soap when I shower and I don't come up to them with 40+ years of baggage about previous interactions. Notice I said "decently." They don't roll out the red carpet, but they don't poo poo on you either. Maybe Adam is so used to his rear end being kissed that being treated normally seems rude to him.

If you think "most super successful people" work an 80-100 hour week, I've got a loving bridge on the East Coast to sell you. The term "bootstraps" is meant to be ironic, sure it's awesome that Adam went from a construction worker to "literally a millionaire" but that can't happen for everyone.

Fake Edit - The Man Show was hilarious.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 10, 2013

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Dude, I live in LA. For all the talk people say about how LA is different from everywhere else, it's really not. People are just as friendly as anywhere else, it's just assholes like Adam who spark this kind of reaction. Have you been to LA for more than a weekend, or are you forming your opinion based off conjecture you've heard from other people?

For example, I fly out of LAX all the time and I'm always treated decently by the airport personnel. This is because I use soap when I shower and I don't come up to them with 40+ years of baggage about previous interactions. Notice I said "decently." They don't roll out the red carpet, but they don't poo poo on you either. Maybe Adam is so used to his rear end being kissed that being treated normally seems rude to him.

If you think "most super successful people" work an 80-100 hour week, I've got a loving bridge on the East Coast to sell you. The term "bootstraps" is meant to be ironic, sure it's awesome that Adam went from a construction worker to "literally a millionaire" but that can't happen for everyone.

Fake Edit - The Man Show was hilarious.

I won't argue the LA point, but in my personal experience and most others, but the people in LA as a whole are shittier than anywhere else I've lived. This is my experience and most other's I know.

On the other point though, you may or may not argue what constitutes work, but you honestly believe that he's having a 40-60 hour work week while being on 4 podcasts of his own, writing a book, doing his O'reilly thing, making a movie, doing all the spots/promotions he has to do, doing tour dates AT LEAST every other weekend, AND running a wine company? Sitting and doing the podcasts alone are 20 hours a week. I'm not saying that anyone can become a literal millionaire, but I would safely bet that the lion share of people who are literal millionaires on average have 60+ hour work weeks.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Veskit posted:

I won't argue the LA point, but in my personal experience and most others, but the people in LA as a whole are shittier than anywhere else I've lived. This is my experience and most other's I know.

Are you referring to people who are in the industry, or just people in general? Because I really don't understand this idea that somehow the people in LA are worse than everywhere else in America.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Niwrad posted:

It seems more about him complaining that Lynette doesn't work hard enough on the Mangria stuff. And that she doesn't do exactly what he tells her to do all the time. I don't think the fish tacos was much more than a final straw for her.

I'm waiting for the inevitable post-divorce rant in which he blames it all on her relationship with her father.

If I were to be so unfortunate as to go through a divorce proceeding, I really wouldn't want to have hundreds of hours of publicly available audio in which I'm constantly complaining about the wife and kids and all of their personal failings. Is therapy going to work on him, or is he going to take a hard turn and get obsessed with the Men's Rights Advocates and start ranting about alimony and custody laws?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Are you referring to people who are in the industry, or just people in general? Because I really don't understand this idea that somehow the people in LA are worse than everywhere else in America.

I forgot to answer the first part also. I've been to LA for longer than a weekend, and I used to travel there about once a month. Everyone in the hospitality industry is just shittier to deal with, and there's an attitude of being put upon anytime I would ask for something reasonable. On the other side of the coin, the people I had to deal with were all the rudest loving people and never tipped. I used to deliver and install medical equipment, moving around gigantic metal things and chairs, and people in LA would not tip. People in San Diego would, and were nice about it, but you hit LA and you're just another cog in their day. I've had A-list celebrities even loving stiff me. I've only ever been flipped off in LA, and gently caress if I even knew at the time why it happened.

I don't know what you're asking specifically with "worse than everywhere else in america", but I can certainly attest for the west coast. Are you implying that all americans are the same, or that LA's issues are over stated to the point that it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be and no other place can really be that much better. Is rudeness not a part of a city's culture, or is it that the rudeness he speaks of really doesn't reflect LA well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One of the best Man Show skits has to be the bit where they hired a bikini model to go to a swimsuit store, where she'd try on suits and have random guys in the store hold her stuff and additional suits and tell her how she looked. And of course, they were incredulous because she'd be falling out of these tiny swimsuits. I believe in one guy's case his wife caught them? At any rate, it was funny stuff.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
If I remember that sketch right a few of the guys were caught sniffing the bikini bottoms as she got changed!

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
The latest A&D show (76), Adam opens up on Drew for constantly giving his "inner circle" ammo against him. He said he can't say anything now without "someone" quoting Drew or Bruce back to him. I can see Adam's point.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Sieg posted:

The latest A&D show (76), Adam opens up on Drew for constantly giving his "inner circle" ammo against him. He said he can't say anything now without "someone" quoting Drew or Bruce back to him. I can see Adam's point.

I really don't think Drew has a backbone and I could see him being duplicitous just because he hates confrontation that much and doesn't want Adam's wife to be upset with him.

WampaLord posted:

edit - Forgot where I was for a second, rich people are lazy and poo poo!

Ariza fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 10, 2013

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of the best Man Show skits has to be the bit where they hired a bikini model to go to a swimsuit store, where she'd try on suits and have random guys in the store hold her stuff and additional suits and tell her how she looked. And of course, they were incredulous because she'd be falling out of these tiny swimsuits. I believe in one guy's case his wife caught them? At any rate, it was funny stuff.

That was a good one. I think she got one guy to try to steal a bikini for her. A simple gag they did was have another girl (might have been the same one) stand by a broken down car and see every guy walk over to see if they could help. Then they dressed jimmy in drag and did the same thing. Good poo poo.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Saint Jimmy posted:

That was a good one. I think she got one guy to try to steal a bikini for her. A simple gag they did was have another girl (might have been the same one) stand by a broken down car and see every guy walk over to see if they could help. Then they dressed jimmy in drag and did the same thing. Good poo poo.

I saw that same broken car setup in a documentary once with a young sexy girl and an older fat lady and it was heartbreaking. Jimmy in drag would probably make it more tolerable, because he does not make a good lady. I remember watching The Man Show when it was originally on and it seemed dumb, but now I want to see it. $2 an episode is pretty steep though.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The DVDs are 50-75% cheaper and you can rip them to watch them on any device you want. :)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Ariza posted:

I saw that same broken car setup in a documentary once with a young sexy girl and an older fat lady and it was heartbreaking. Jimmy in drag would probably make it more tolerable, because he does not make a good lady. I remember watching The Man Show when it was originally on and it seemed dumb, but now I want to see it. $2 an episode is pretty steep though.

Just drop 7 bucks or a free trial ON HULU PLUS BAAYBBEEE WHOLULU WHOKNEW?!?!!!

Seriously though all the episodes are up on hulu plus so you don't have to drop too much on it.

Ariza posted:

edit - Forgot where I was for a second, rich people are lazy and poo poo!

Don't be a coward make your point!

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Man Jimmy is such a funny, smart, interesting guy. I loved his call today and I'm so impressed by his stunt. I really wish he could be on the show once in a while but he's probably the busiest person on the planet.

"Adam: How was this first pitched to you?
Jimmy: it was originally a rape!"

Goddamn that made me laugh.

EDIT: Oh, and gently caress Dennis Prager

Ez fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 11, 2013

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Ez posted:

Man Jimmy is such a funny, smart, interesting guy. I loved his call today and I'm so impressed by his stunt. I really wish he could be on the show once in a while but he's probably the busiest person on the planet.

"Adam: How was this first pitched to you?
Jimmy: it was originally a rape!"

Goddamn that made me laugh.

EDIT: Oh, and gently caress Dennis Prager
Yep, I tapped out about 10 minutes into Dennis Prager's segment today. I was going to give it a shot because I'd never listened to him before, but there's just something about his voice and the way he speaks. I feel like I'm listening to AM radio and I have this visceral reaction. Carolla bloviates on a lot of the same subjects, and I'd imagine not as informed as Dennis Prager does, but Carolla at least works in some dick jokes now and then or something. Dennis Prager makes me feel like I'm being preached or lectured at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yep, I tapped out about 10 minutes into Dennis Prager's segment today. I was going to give it a shot because I'd never listened to him before, but there's just something about his voice and the way he speaks. I feel like I'm listening to AM radio and I have this visceral reaction. Carolla bloviates on a lot of the same subjects, and I'd imagine not as informed as Dennis Prager does, but Carolla at least works in some dick jokes now and then or something. Dennis Prager makes me feel like I'm being preached or lectured at.

Prager is the absolute biggest blowhard I have ever heard. He's like Rush Limbaugh only more self-righteous, and you're right he has the most stereotypical AM radio voice, he's like a cartoon character. I even agree with a fair amount of what he says but he has a way of overblowing smaller aspects if bigger issues and sounding like an douchebag. A good example of this is when he started complaining about fathers calling their sons "buddy". He talked about it like it was a huge problem, which is ridiculous. His underlying point is that kids should respect their fathers and fathers shouldn't strive to be their sons friends and undermine their parenthood, which I agree with, but if I call my son "buddy" it has nothing to do with that, it's just a friendly greeting.