Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What ROMs are you folks with Galaxy S4's using?

I'm enjoying CM 10.2 (nightlies) but it does have a few problems and it seems slower than the Google Edition ROMs that I've tried. However, "Omega v10" seems incredibly popular but it's TouchWiz ROM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Vinlaen posted:

What ROMs are you folks with Galaxy S4's using?

I'm enjoying CM 10.2 (nightlies) but it does have a few problems and it seems slower than the Google Edition ROMs that I've tried. However, "Omega v10" seems incredibly popular but it's TouchWiz ROM.

I absolutely love nitroglycerine33's "Eclipse" AOSP rom (He has a great TW rom too) http://www.elementalxdesigns.com/eclipse/forumdisplay.php?57-Galaxy-S-IV-Development

It's for the VZW S4 though -- you don't mention what one you have.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I know that rooting a One normally wipes the phone, but I have the factory unlocked, Dev Edition of the HTC One...does this one still get wiped when it's rooted?

Root does not wipe a phone. However, being able to root an HTC device in the first place means you have to start by unlocking the bootloader. The act of unlocking the bootloader is what wipes the phone.

Also, if you have a Dev Edition, the phone (I believe) doesn't come with the bootloader already unlocked, it's just unlockable. You have to do the unlock token flash to unlock the bootloader, then you can install a custom recovery and flash in your preferred root package.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I think my AT&T SGS3 may have bit the dust :(. It was behaving very erratically, with every app (even the launcher) crashing and reloading every few minutes, so I reset it...

Now it sits at the initial Cyanogen boot screen (before it gets to the circular animation) forever. It even does this after completely wiping (every partition), rebooting, and then flashing a known good CM.

I don't know what else to do/try here. Any ideas? I have noticed that it seemed to get really hot the past month or so, but I wasn't sure if that was just my imagination.

This sucks. I never overclocked or messed with special kernels. I just used CM nightlies and usually had little trouble with them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ProjektorBoy posted:

Root does not wipe a phone. However, being able to root an HTC device in the first place means you have to start by unlocking the bootloader. The act of unlocking the bootloader is what wipes the phone.

Also, if you have a Dev Edition, the phone (I believe) doesn't come with the bootloader already unlocked, it's just unlockable. You have to do the unlock token flash to unlock the bootloader, then you can install a custom recovery and flash in your preferred root package.

I believe that if you unlock your bootloader with revone it doesn't wipe. You can push revone to your phone with adb and run it from an adb shell and it has its own root exploit to run itself as root. One unlocked you can install cwm/twrp and root the traditional way.

Revone won't work if you have an hboot dated sometime in June or later. You can see your hot version by going into bootloader mode.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 7, 2013

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I've been getting some mixed info. How hard is it to get NTFS support on a Galaxy S3? I want to plug in HDDs via USB OTG.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

So I've been thinking about doing something with my HTC Sensation for a while now, and after spending a week watching someone effortlessly glide through the interface of an iPhone 5 with no stalls, hangups, force closes or crashes I think I'm finally ready. However, I'm not really sure where to start; I've been looking at installing Cyanogenmod but I'm not quite sure what version I should be installing or whether or not I'll need to follow the instructions on the wiki to gain s=off or if I can just unlock the phone via the official HTC process. Additionally, if I want to go back to stock I don't really know how to do that either, and I'm afraid that if I do anything to screw up my phone or even if I don't but I need to RMA it through my extended protection plan for another reason I don't want to disqualify myself by having CFW on the device. Reading what was just posted it seems that it may not be in my best interest to simply unlock via HTCdev. Regardless, if someone with experience flashing their Sensation could offer me some advice I'd appreciate it.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Jacobus Spades posted:

So I've been thinking about doing something with my HTC Sensation

The latest stable version of Cyanogemod available for your phone (codename: Pyramid) is CM 9.1 according to http://get.cm

Don't expect stable Jellybean, even though there are nightly builds. The phone was only ever updated by HTC to ICS so CM 9.x will be the only versions that ensure full device driver compatibility.

The HTCDev unlock method is always going to be the safest method. You'll be able to flash a custom recovery after HTCDev unlocking. I've spent a lot of time with the Sensation's sibling, the Amaze and the HTCDev unlock still lets you do what you need to flash a custom ROM. In addition HTCDev unlocking lets you relock your phone with fasboot to restore to stock using an official RUU.

The newest RUU can be grabbed from Shipped-ROMs and it looks like 3.332.531 is the newest version for the USA T-Mobile Sensation. Not sure what carrier you're on.

What I'd recommend before shoving a ROM in, though, is to factory reset and flash in an RUU to rewrite everything the way it should be. You'd be surprised at what kind of stability you can get from that.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 7, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
7th Sept nightly on my Nexus 7 won't boot :/

xda forum suggests it isn't just me either!

Annnnnnd confirmed: https://plus.google.com/+CyanogenMod/posts/ArqL2Yw8tun

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 7, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What is meant by "JSS ROMs"? The franco.Kernel app will only download kernels for non-JSS versions, directing you to the XDA thread if you have a JSS ROM (CM 10.2 is given as an example).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

7th Sept nightly on my Nexus 7 won't boot :/

xda forum suggests it isn't just me either!

Annnnnnd confirmed: https://plus.google.com/+CyanogenMod/posts/ArqL2Yw8tun
I was just coming here to post this after finding out the hard way, good thing I always make a nandroid before flashing a nightly.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

hooah posted:

What is meant by "JSS ROMs"? The franco.Kernel app will only download kernels for non-JSS versions, directing you to the XDA thread if you have a JSS ROM (CM 10.2 is given as an example).

Paranoid Android had a good post explaining it.

"JWR66V is Googles official release branch, this is what the Nexus 4 runs stock. This branch is tested and stable.

JSS15J is an experimental developer branch that officially only runs on the 2013 Nexus 7. This branch is not stable any other device and suffers from severe issues that affect all JSS roms (and as it turns out even the stock Nexus 7. http://goo.gl/dWIO0g)

These issues weren't clear to developers in the beginning, most teams assumed newer = better and built JSS. XDA was consequently hammered with complaints and bug-reports,mostly dead-locks/freezes.

Now some teams have accepted these issues and wait for Google to fix it. We did not accept it and reverted parts back to JWR while retaining obvious JSS bugfixes, we still cherry-pick aosp/master bugfixes as welll. This is not a downgrade, many users have reported 4.3 runs now stable for them.

What this means if you want to exchange your kernel is that you need to focus on JWR compatible kernels. JSS kernels are not compatible and cause heavy jitter and glitches. The difference between these two kernels is marginal and none of it will matter in terms of speed and performance. Some kernel developers like +Francisco Franco have forseen this right away, that's why his official is JWR, not JSS - so good for us and all other JWR based roms.

One more thing about kernels, we have put a lot of effort into making PA run right out of the box. Everything should work. If you do flash kernels and you experience problems with root, jitter, etc., search XDA first for possible solutions. Since this is up to you and your kernel developer we can't help you there.

We are in an easy position now, should Google or anyone else fix stuff we can pretty much flip a switch and we're back on JSS. This allows us to sit back and start working on our own features again."

Basically there are two 4.3s, one is a lovely hacked XDA version that some people like CM use.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

LastInLine posted:

I was just coming here to post this after finding out the hard way, good thing I always make a nandroid before flashing a nightly.

guess who didn't make a nandroid :haw:

I can just re-flash 5th Sept version via sideload though, I hope.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WastedJoker posted:

guess who didn't make a nandroid :haw:

I can just re-flash 5th Sept version via sideload though, I hope.

This is what I did with my N4, since the 6th Sept nightly was the downfall for that device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I don't understand not making a nandroid. While I'm waiting for the next nightly to build/download, I go into recovery and delete the last nandroid and start one. By the time the file is downloaded and in my platform-tools folder, the nandroid is done and I start Sideload ZIP. Open Terminal, up, up, return, cmd-q.

Takes like four minutes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

I don't understand not making a nandroid. While I'm waiting for the next nightly to build/download, I go into recovery and delete the last nandroid and start one. By the time the file is downloaded and in my platform-tools folder, the nandroid is done and I start Sideload ZIP. Open Terminal, up, up, return, cmd-q.

Takes like four minutes.

You must not have much on your phone if a complete nandroid only takes 4 minutes. Mine take at least 5. Also, I download the zip right to my phone, which is easier. In case of minor failure (like this recent event), I can just flash a previous nightly. In case of a major failure requiring a factory reset, I have daily Titanium Backup info in my DropBox.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

You must not have much on your phone if a complete nandroid only takes 4 minutes. Mine take at least 5. Also, I download the zip right to my phone, which is easier. In case of minor failure (like this recent event), I can just flash a previous nightly. In case of a major failure requiring a factory reset, I have daily Titanium Backup info in my DropBox.
Considering I have to do the download regardless it makes sense to do the backup whilst downloading. I usually start the backup when the build begins so it's actually ~25 minutes for the build plus the download. It's not like I've got other things to do on my phone at 5 am.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Well I was at work so I just flashed over. Obviously a mistake but made even more annoying because my win8 64-bit laptop, which worked fine prior to a OS rebuild, now won't install the adb drivers so I can sideload!

ended up doing it all on my slow as hell work XP machine which worked perfectly :colbert:

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 7, 2013

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Considering I have to do the download regardless it makes sense to do the backup whilst downloading. I usually start the backup when the build begins so it's actually ~25 minutes for the build plus the download. It's not like I've got other things to do on my phone at 5 am.

It takes less than a minute to download a nightly with CyanDelta. :confused:

If I didn't have so many apps that had to "optimize" after every flash, the whole process would take two minutes. A nandroid backup takes close to ten.

Edit: maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you building your own releases?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If I didn't have so many apps that had to "optimize" after every flash, the whole process would take two minutes. A nandroid backup takes close to ten.

Edit: maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you building your own releases?
No, I'm just grabbing them off get.cm. I just happen to get off work at nearly exactly the time Jenkins starts my build every morning so I know exactly when it's going to be available.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yeah, CD makes keeping up with nightlies dangerously easy. Especially since they changed it so it applies the delta while its downloading instead of downloading and then applying.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

How does CyanDelta work? Some kind of SVN thing?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I think my AT&T SGS3 may have bit the dust :(. It was behaving very erratically, with every app (even the launcher) crashing and reloading every few minutes, so I reset it...

Now it sits at the initial Cyanogen boot screen (before it gets to the circular animation) forever. It even does this after completely wiping (every partition), rebooting, and then flashing a known good CM.

I don't know what else to do/try here. Any ideas? I have noticed that it seemed to get really hot the past month or so, but I wasn't sure if that was just my imagination.

This sucks. I never overclocked or messed with special kernels. I just used CM nightlies and usually had little trouble with them.

Have you upgraded your radio and other firmware to work with 4.2 ROMs? I had some real weird lockups on my att s3 that would happen for a whole day then stop for a while. I'm typing from awfulapp now or I'd link you, but click the ? And get my posts itt and see where I talked about weird lockups and someone helped me with firmware.

Don't know if that'll help if its not even booting mine never got that bad hope its not hw.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 7, 2013

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
After people mentioning CyanDelta in the software thread I figured I'd give it a shot. I installed it on my S4 running CM10.2 nightlies, set it all up. Installed the latest nightly through it and... it just sits at my recovery and does nothing. I reboot back into android and... even more nothing. The phone doesn't boot up anymore. I can't even get into recovery. How the gently caress did that happen? Ugh. Time to flash stock image in Odin all over again. I am absolutely positively 100% sure it was the right rom for my phone (Sprint, jfltespr) so it's not that.

So I'm back to stock. What exactly am I supposed to do to get CM10.2 back on here and not have this happen in the future (besides making nandroids before each flash, which I'm starting to do now that I've got an sd card in there)?

Edit: While I'm at it, how's the Google Experience android version on the S4? Better/worse than CM? What about the Sprint port (loving Sprint...)?

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 8, 2013

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

FlyingCheese posted:

So after people mentioning CyanDelta in the software thread I figured I'd give it a shot. I installed it on my S4 running CM10.2 nightlies, set it all up. Installed the latest nightly through it and... it just sits at my recovery and does nothing. I reboot back into android and... even more nothing. The phone doesn't boot up anymore.

Did you read how people complained/warned that yesterday's nightly was broken and unbootable and you just decided to go ahead and flash it? (That's how the CyanDelta discussion started.)

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Grim Up North posted:

Did you read how people complained/warned that yesterday's nightly was broken and unbootable and you just decided to go ahead and flash it? (That's how the CyanDelta discussion started.)

I swear I clicked on the one before that. I was a few versions behind and wanted to grab the most recent one before that happened. My goony cheeto-covered hotdog fingers mashed the wrong button.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 8, 2013

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

FlyingCheese posted:

I swear I clicked on the one before that. I was a few versions behind and wanted to grab the most recent one before that happened. My goony cheeto-covered hotdog fingers mashed the wrong button.

I don't even see a way to select the nightly to flash in CyanDelta. All I have is the button to flash the accursed 20130907.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grim Up North posted:

I don't even see a way to select the nightly to flash in CyanDelta. All I have is the button to flash the accursed 20130907.
Yeah, that's how it works, it applies the change (or delta) between what you have and what's available now.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, that's how it works, it applies the change (or delta) between what you have and what's available now.

Yes, but FlyingCheese implied that there was a way to select which delta to apply.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Ah, I see the error of my ways, I wasn't even in CyanDelta, I was in the regular CM updater app. I clearly am an idiot.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

FlyingCheese posted:

Ah, I see the error of my ways, I wasn't even in CyanDelta, I was in the regular CM updater app. I clearly am an idiot.

We would never judge you.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Grim Up North posted:

I know 6 wasn't booting, is 7 borked too?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Bobert51 posted:

I know 6 wasn't booting, is 7 borked too?

Yup. For the Nexus 4, at least.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The 8th is fine. The 6th was fine too for a few models (my Maguro, for instance).

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason that my 2012 nexus 7 keeps trying to install the latest system update after every reboot even though it already should be installed?

This is on stock 4.3 with TWRP, I mean it looked like twrp installed the update?

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 9, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anime and cars posted:

Is there a reason that my 2012 nexus 7 keeps trying to install the latest system update after every reboot even though it already should be installed?

This is on stock 4.3 with TWRP, I mean it looked like twrp installed the update?
What build is reported in Settings > About Phone under Build Number? JSS15Q?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

What build is reported in Settings > About Phone under Build Number? JSS15Q?

JWR66Y

Ok wierdly I rebooted to the bootloader, selected recovery and somehow its killed twrp as I just have the android with a red triangle. So I reflashed with the newest version of twrp, downloaded the ota and installed it. That seems to have worked.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Wagonburner posted:

Have you upgraded your radio and other firmware to work with 4.2 ROMs? I had some real weird lockups on my att s3 that would happen for a whole day then stop for a while. I'm typing from awfulapp now or I'd link you, but click the ? And get my posts itt and see where I talked about weird lockups and someone helped me with firmware.

Don't know if that'll help if its not even booting mine never got that bad hope its not hw.

Yeah, I did that a couple months ago.

It seemed to be the fact that I was using one of the bad 0905/0906 roms. As soon as I switched to the 0902 rom, it would boot fine. Happy day.

Fast forward to this morning when I decide to give 0909 a try. It doesn't boot, even after a complete wipe, so I restore my system backup of the 0902. Now that won't boot, either! AND when I do a complete wipe and load the 0902 rom, still no dice.

This phone is completely hosed in the head. I have no idea what it is doing.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have a US AT&T Galaxy Note II that's bootloader unlocked, using TWRP recovery and the latest CM nightly.

I'm about to take a trip to England and wondered if this phone will work with a prepaid sim over there? Is the AT&T restriction or whatever removed when I put CyanogenMod on it? Is there anything else I need to plan for with regards to travelling overseas?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

I have a US AT&T Galaxy Note II that's bootloader unlocked, using TWRP recovery and the latest CM nightly.

I'm about to take a trip to England and wondered if this phone will work with a prepaid sim over there? Is the AT&T restriction or whatever removed when I put CyanogenMod on it? Is there anything else I need to plan for with regards to travelling overseas?

Thanks!
The carrier lock shouldn't be affected by software so if it was locked to AT&T before it's locked to AT&T now. That having been said AT&T should be willing to unlock it for you although I don't know if you can do that while on CM.