Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Carados posted:

The pressure plate mod he had was by defacto Feed the Beast only, because there wasn't an indiviual download for it. Currently he "requires" a specific creative commons license.

Why in the hell would KL hand his mod over to someone so closely affiliated with them, Jesus Christ. TE R.I.P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Myrathi's mods are easily findable for download - he's got a thread for them for individual downloads. Ten seconds of Googling found his thread on the FTB forums, where you can download each of his mods, easily. Just because his stuff was formerly FTB only doesn't mean TE will be, now or in the future.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Magmarashi posted:

Why in the hell would KL hand his mod over to someone so closely affiliated with them, Jesus Christ. TE R.I.P.

It's possible that KL asked Myrathis to make it open-source but I wouldn't get your hopes up, sadly. :(

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Can someone walk me through how I would make a Technic Pack for my private server. I have my client files and my server's files set up the way I want them; now how do I get them to my users?

edit: nevermind, found a wonderful tutorial here.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 8, 2013

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Cantorsdust posted:

Can someone walk me through how I would make a Technic Pack for my private server. I have my client files and my server's files set up the way I want them; now how do I get them to my users?

They download launcher, and sign in through launcher with tekkit selected.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Magmarashi posted:

Mainly because Myrathi is awesome. I have no idea when this "FTB only" stuff came about, but I really don't remember him having specific bias there. He's also not the only one working on it - ChickenBones is also aboard. It will absolutely never be an FTB-only thing. I'm also maintaining full control of the repo, I just won't be the primary coder.

I'll be doing a 1.6.2 port of the current version of TE, and then we'll figure out when TE 3.0 will be released.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Khorne posted:

edit: I also haven't touched Big Reactors so I'm not knocking that guy at all, and I think UE is a neat idea that needs some serious clean up and documentation. Otherwise I wouldn't be interested in contributing.

Hi, I'm the Big Reactors guy! :v:

If you spot any problems, send me a PM, submit an issue on github or something like that. But, as Shukaro noted, BR is not a UE mod - I just permit connections to UE wires in an effort to support as many reasonable frameworks as possible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I've not kept up with minecraft at all for about 3 months due to playing other games. Finally got around to try and update my TFC pack and the latest MC isn't available on the technic platform. Is this because of the whole vanilla launcher change?

Yeah it is the vanilla launcher. With this and the major 1.7 code change I don't anticipate there being any big stable packs that aren't 1.5 for a while.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I've not kept up with minecraft at all for about 3 months due to playing other games. Finally got around to try and update my TFC pack and the latest MC isn't available on the technic platform. Is this because of the whole vanilla launcher change?

1.6 basically killed the modding community. A lot of people are still working on mods but the changes were so drastic that a ton of people just quit doing it. 1.7 is going to be the same thing again. I doubt minecraft modding will ever be as active as it was during 1.5.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
It'll spin up again, 1.2.5 was pretty brutal as well if i understand it correctly?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Whatever happened to an official modding API?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Taffer posted:

1.6 basically killed the modding community. A lot of people are still working on mods but the changes were so drastic that a ton of people just quit doing it. 1.7 is going to be the same thing again. I doubt minecraft modding will ever be as active as it was during 1.5.

Jesus, that bad? Were the changes that drastic?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Why not just go "gently caress it" to the new versions and just make stuff for 1.5

I for one don't give a poo poo about official minecraft at this point.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Anticheese posted:

You mean the thing they said was to be released for 1.5 but delayed for 1.6 (and then again for 1.7?). Where the official GitHub linked in their wiki hasn't seen activity in over a year? And there's been radio silence on the whole subject for about the same period of time? :v:

Well, you see, horses are more important.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Anticheese posted:

It's been "forthcoming" for many, many months now, I think. So God only knows when we'll actually get our hands on it. v:v:v

Why are Mojang so slow to code anything into the game? Are they just not very good coders or is Notch's code some sort of labyrinth of shoddiness that takes them forever to navigate?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Why not just go "gently caress it" to the new versions and just make stuff for 1.5

I for one don't give a poo poo about official minecraft at this point.

I wish the Forge people had the stones to do this, fork it. Stop supporting new minecraft versions but continue to add features to 1.5. That way modders wouldn't have to keep updating their mods to accommodate Mojang Horse Armor more than actually adding new features.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

Why are Mojang so slow to code anything into the game? Are they just not very good coders or is Notch's code some sort of labyrinth of shoddiness that takes them forever to navigate?

Probably both.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Jesus, that bad? Were the changes that drastic?

Apparently so. A month or two after release and Platform hasn't caught up yet. I don't do modding myself, but as I understand it, even forge had to make big backend changes, so it couldn't bridge the gap as well as it normally does.

It doesn't help that the two biggest tech mod devs (KingLemming and power crystals, of TE and MFR) took long breaks. KL said he would finish a 1.6.2 port of TE, and then pass the mod to someone else, while PC is still mia. For all we know he could be done with MC modding for good.

It's possible that people simply don't want to do two big overhauls with 1.6 and 1.7 and are just putting everything on hold until 1.7, but I wouldn't count on it.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

dijon du jour posted:

From my understanding they've been effectively rewriting the entire codebase so it's not taking forever to navigate, that's why basically every major patch that adds some small stuff like horses requires a complete rewrite of basically every mod.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Carados posted:

From my understanding they've been effectively rewriting the entire codebase so it's not taking forever to navigate, that's why basically every major patch that adds some small stuff like horses requires a complete rewrite of basically every mod.

Yah supposedly going from 1.6 to 1.7 changed somewhere in the neighborhood of a million lines of code and as far as I know there are 3 people maintaining minecraft. I am sure after each major update they also take a week or two off.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

So, does anyone whom answered here actually write mods or just rampant speculation from reading message forums?

I haven't seen a slowdown in mod releases for 1.6.x, nearly every mod my server uses has been updated to it pretty quickly with the exception of Thaumcraft (of whom the author is a perfectionist that is doing major changes to its functionality).

In so far as actually writing Forge mods, it seems like there is even more functionality available with 1.6 than there was in prior releases. This additional functionality seems to have come at the expense of rewriting chunks of the code such as how resources are loaded - and all of this seems to be for the better over all. I'm not sure where all of this anguish over 'the mod scene is dead' is coming from other than some current modders handing over their work to open source or to other modders whom will continue to maintain and extend them.

[edit]My only knowledge comes from writing my own mod - I started during the 1.5.x release and have worked on it into 1.6. A lot of changes to update from 1.5 to 1.6 were trivial for me but I imagine a large mod with a large code base would have a long undertaking.

fondue fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 9, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Anticheese posted:

"Priority on API"; launcher, attribute system, resource pack overhaul are just some of the big hurdles we needed for an API.

We needed them (the above mentioned items) for the API and they were a huge step towards it. There are other things that we're doing along the same lines.

Just because it's not done, doesn't mean it's not being done :)

Has been their stance since yesterday on the progress towards releasing an API. 1.7 has another thing they needed to do apparently in the form of in game manipulation of NBT data which before could only apparently be edited using 3rd party programs. The devs don't seem to mention or reply to people asking about the API much since any answer besides "It is done now" sends people into a stupid frothing rage. At this point it is still a matter of fixing Notch's poo poo plus adding in systems to allow for a potentially robust API (we will see if they can actually deliver on this front). :v:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Enzer posted:

"Priority on API"; launcher, attribute system, resource pack overhaul are just some of the big hurdles we needed for an API.

We needed them (the above mentioned items) for the API and they were a huge step towards it. There are other things that we're doing along the same lines.

Just because it's not done, doesn't mean it's not being done :)

Has been their stance since yesterday on the progress towards releasing an API. 1.7 has another thing they needed to do apparently in the form of in game manipulation of NBT data which before could only apparently be edited using 3rd party programs. The devs don't seem to mention or reply to people asking about the API much since any answer besides "It is done now" sends people into a stupid frothing rage. At this point it is still a matter of fixing Notch's poo poo plus adding in systems to allow for a potentially robust API (we will see if they can actually deliver on this front). :v:

I like that people are still convinced they've had to make major overhauls that broke mods so badly 'just for horse armor'. It's actually rather adorable, in a manner :allears:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

fondue posted:

So, does anyone whom answered here actually write mods or just rampant speculation from reading message forums?

I haven't seen a slowdown in mod releases for 1.6.x, nearly every mod my server uses has been updated to it pretty quickly with the exception of Thaumcraft (of whom the author is a perfectionist that is doing major changes to its functionality).

In so far as actually writing Forge mods, it seems like there is even more functionality available with 1.6 than there was in prior releases. This additional functionality seems to have come at the expense of rewriting chunks of the code such as how resources are loaded - and all of this seems to be for the better over all. I'm not sure where all of this anguish over 'the mod scene is dead' is coming from other than some current modders handing over their work to open source or to other modders whom will continue to maintain and extend them.

[edit]My only knowledge comes from writing my own mod - I started during the 1.5.x release and have worked on it into 1.6. A lot of changes to update from 1.5 to 1.6 were trivial for me but I imagine a large mod with a large code base would have a long undertaking.

1.5 to 1.6 is not a giant leap, certainly not catastropic. It just introduced resource packs which change how you need to handle textures, sounds, and localizations.

Source: Myself, who writes mods

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Yeah, there are certainly enough mods out for 1.6 now that you can put together a set that's fun and playable. It's just not in a good state for mod packs right now since a bunch of mods that people either personally prefer or need for continuity with an older pack (TE, Xycraft, IC2, Thaumcraft, MFR, etc.) are still in transition phases caused by things completely separate from the version change anyway.

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

Halibut Barn posted:

Yeah, there are certainly enough mods out for 1.6 now that you can put together a set that's fun and playable. It's just not in a good state for mod packs right now since a bunch of mods that people either personally prefer or need for continuity with an older pack (TE, Xycraft, IC2, Thaumcraft, MFR, etc.) are still in transition phases caused by things completely separate from the version change anyway.

funny you include Xycraft in that list, its becoming a 'legacy' mod in its own right, with no updates since 1.4.7 its joining redpower on the 'also ran' list of past minecraft mods, took it long enough to become usable as it was, then it disappeared into the 'updating.. no ETA' bin

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
Doesn't matter, most of the stuff of value in Xycraft has, like redpower, been replaced by other mods. So really the only thing it has to offer any more is gently caress ugly blocks.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
Part of the 1.6.x issue, at least on my end, is just a convergence of the transition to TE 3.0 and a shift in real life priorities.

It's certainly not the worst update, from a mod point of view - 1.7 is going to take that crown easily.

The real irritating thing is that 1.6 changed enough to be annoying without any real justification. 1.7 at least is fundamentally changing the engine, so as bad as it's going to be, there's reason for it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

KingLemming posted:

Mainly because Myrathi is awesome. I have no idea when this "FTB only" stuff came about, but I really don't remember him having specific bias there.

I think I'm partly to blame- Myrathi made an obsidian plate mod at the request of the FtB dudes and was never real specific about license and I thought that meant it was going to be hard to get permissions for a technic pack, so I made my own. Myrathi actually stopped by the technic forums obsidian plate thread not too long ago and was like "lol what, my mod is for everyone, use my mod" which seems like a pretty legit attitude to have. Myrathi is a neato person, so be nice to Myrathi.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'm streaming some various coding things with music, if anybody happens to be interested.

http://www.twitch.tv/shukaro

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

Shukaro posted:

I'm streaming some various coding things with music, if anybody happens to be interested.

aargh why you do this while i am at work...errr ya... work.... BBL

on a side note: thanks for adding my modpack to the OP! :D

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Shukaro posted:

Are you going to post this on youtube, some people might take this as a learning experience, and I know a few people at college that would watch something like this.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

SugarAddict posted:

Are you going to post this on youtube, some people might take this as a learning experience, and I know a few people at college that would watch something like this.

All the stuff should be available via twitch VODs, so I'll link those when I'm done. :)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Shukaro posted:

All the stuff should be available via twitch VODs, so I'll link those when I'm done. :)

Awsome, thank you!

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Shukaro posted:

This is strangely hypnotic as is your music.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Here are the new 1.6.2 and 1.5.2 versions of Ender Ore, as coded on stream.

http://build.technicpack.net/job/EnderOre/16/artifact/build/dist/EnderOre-1.0-16.jar - 1.6.2

http://build.technicpack.net/job/EnderOre/18/artifact/build/dist/EnderOre-1.0-18.jar - 1.5.2

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I think I'm done watching things compile for the night, updated versions can be found on the Jenkins, with 1.5.2 builds conveniently tagged as such.

http://build.technicpack.net/job/Artifice/
http://build.technicpack.net/job/EnderOre/

Here are the VODs for the stream, I think I'll do this more often, in case anybody is curious.

http://www.twitch.tv/shukaro/b/459023401
http://www.twitch.tv/shukaro/b/459091999

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Shukaro posted:

I think I'm done watching things compile for the night, updated versions can be found on the Jenkins, with 1.5.2 builds conveniently tagged as such.

http://build.technicpack.net/job/Artifice/
http://build.technicpack.net/job/EnderOre/

Here are the VODs for the stream, I think I'll do this more often, in case anybody is curious.

http://www.twitch.tv/shukaro/b/459023401
http://www.twitch.tv/shukaro/b/459091999

Is there a wiki page on your mod?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

thevortex- posted:

funny you include Xycraft in that list, its becoming a 'legacy' mod in its own right, with no updates since 1.4.7 its joining redpower on the 'also ran' list of past minecraft mods, took it long enough to become usable as it was, then it disappeared into the 'updating.. no ETA' bin

I haven't been keeping up with Direwolf's stuff since I last mentioned the IC2 stuff. For anyone that has, are IC2's Cans working? Soaryn asked that they wait until Xycraft was on the server before making them usable, as I believe they are using some of his code to display liquid for an item icon without needing to make separate icons for each liquid, which he's using for buckets.

It seems a bit ridiculous to me that he made that request, why not just ask for credit? Or does the perception that someone released a feature on a beta/alpha piece of software, that isn't even available to the public yet, first matter so much to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Onean posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Direwolf's stuff since I last mentioned the IC2 stuff. For anyone that has, are IC2's Cans working? Soaryn asked that they wait until Xycraft was on the server before making them usable, as I believe they are using some of his code to display liquid for an item icon without needing to make separate icons for each liquid, which he's using for buckets.

It seems a bit ridiculous to me that he made that request, why not just ask for credit? Or does the perception that someone released a feature on a beta/alpha piece of software, that isn't even available to the public yet, first matter so much to him?

Yes, it is the most important thing. Being first, doing first, is the Golden Lamb of Modding, as it allows you a lofty platform from which to decree that you invented blocks that catch on fire, windmills, and etc.

• Locked thread