Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Almost Smart posted:

That Capcom is long gone, friend. They would probably hand the title off to Ninja Theory and then we would have Link smoking a cigarette as he called Ganon a "pig fucker" before brandishing his twin revolvers, Master and Sword.

Sad thing is I would rather play that game than any actual Zelda title released in the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I didn't realize the extend of Nintendo's marketing failure until I found out none of my (gaming) friends even knew the WiiU was a next generation console. They all thought it was some dumb attachment to the Wii, exactly as described in the OP.

Hell I didn't know anything else when I bought it - my girlfriend wanted one so we can play games together. Turned out to be a fantastic buy even just for portable Hulu around the house. The few games so far have been great (especially Mario WiiU and Pikmin 3).

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I am Reverend posted:

In a perfect world, Bethesda would be making the next Zelda game.

Nintendo's games are tight as hell, Bethesda constantly craps out sloppy messes... seems like a perfect fit for me! :v:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
With the announcement that PS4 won't launch in Japan until February, I'm curious if WiiU will see any extra boost during the holidays.

My guess is probably not and Japanese gamers will just play more Pokemon to bide their time but Nintendo does have an opportunity here.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Looks like Sony has taken remote play a step further... following the discussion threads it looks like there is a $100 box you can buy to stream the PSVita to any TV screen using the Vita as a controller. So essentially stream the PS4 to the Vita, and then the Vita to another TV to play your PS4 in any room of the house.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sethsez posted:

I found all those games to be tedious slogs, Phantom Hourglass in particular. A couple charming characters here and there doesn't make up for mindless fetch quests and other such busywork, nor does it make up for overworlds that are blatantly just windy paths to dungeons rather than being interesting settings on their own.

I guess we like different things then. I'm very puzzle-oriented, so I prefer, for example, Skyward Sword's overworld areas that lead you through them on a winding path unlocking bits that make backtracking easier to OoT's big empty Hyrule Field. They're basically laid out like the dungeons themselves in terms of thoughts about flow and how you travel through them. Or Phantom Hourglass sending you through the same dungeon again with different tools to open shortcuts, I actually enjoyed that (though Spirit Tracks killed it with the limited train movement, PH's sailing was very easy to get around by the end but ST you had to figure out what led where and which way to approach forks from, even to pick up a glass of milk at the store). I like compact areas where bits fit together.

And most of the dungeons in SS were gorgeous as well. The Buddha water temple and time ship in particular.

What makes settings interesting to you?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Looks like Sony has taken remote play a step further... following the discussion threads it looks like there is a $100 box you can buy to stream the PSVita to any TV screen using the Vita as a controller. So essentially stream the PS4 to the Vita, and then the Vita to another TV to play your PS4 in any room of the house.

For only the cost of a Vita and an extra hundred bucks. I'm sure there are folks who can find a use for that, but for that much I'd just walk into the room that has the PS4 instead.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bruceski posted:

What makes settings interesting to you?

I like having open areas with plenty of things to find that reward exploration. My favorite games in the series are the original, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, and they all tend to encourage going off the main path for a while and prodding in all kinds of nooks and crannies. It's the thing that really drew me to the series in the first place, and of the recent games only Twilight Princess really tried to do it again, but that game has so many issues it was kind of a lost cause.

I love Zelda dungeons, but when the entire game plays like them I feel like something major is lost. There's a nice balance between open exploration-based gameplay and linear puzzle-based gameplay and it's a shame when that balance gets thrown off, which a lot of recent Zeldas have done. It devalues the uniqueness of the dungeons by making the entire game play like them, and it loses any sense of freedom by (more blatantly) herding you from one point to the next.

Bruceski posted:

For only the cost of a Vita and an extra hundred bucks. I'm sure there are folks who can find a use for that, but for that much I'd just walk into the room that has the PS4 instead.

It actually does NOT require a Vita, because the box is a Vita, without a screen, that hooks up to your TV. It's not a streaming box, but a system in and of itself. Its closest point of comparison would be a standalone Game Boy Player. And since it's a Vita, it's just as capable of PS4 streaming as any other Vita, meaning you can put a PS4 on your main TV and the Vita TV on a secondary one and stream PS4 games to it (or just play Vita games).

It's a pretty interesting device, and the biggest hurdle it's going to face is what we just saw: consumer confusion and misinformation, just like the WiiU. People are going to think it's an accessory rather than a standalone system unless Sony markets it right... but I have more faith in them than Nintendo on that front right now.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 9, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am Reverend posted:

In a perfect world, Bethesda would be making the next Zelda game.

Ugh, no. Zelda is it's own thing that is nothing like Elder Scrolls. They are two completely different genre's. Elder Scrolls is an RPG, Zelda is a action adventure game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

sethsez posted:

It actually does NOT require a Vita, because the box is a Vita, without a screen, that hooks up to your TV. It's not a streaming box, but a system in and of itself. Its closest point of comparison would be a standalone Game Boy Player. And since it's a Vita, it's just as capable of PS4 streaming as any other Vita, meaning you can put a PS4 on your main TV and the Vita TV on a secondary one and stream PS4 games to it (or just play Vita games).

It's a pretty interesting device, and the biggest hurdle it's going to face is what we just saw: consumer confusion and misinformation, just like the WiiU. People are going to think it's an accessory rather than a standalone system unless Sony markets it right... but I have more faith in them than Nintendo on that front right now.

Now that's much more interesting than what I thought it was. Thanks for the clarification.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I bet Rocksteady could make a killer Zelda.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Sorry everyone, the correct answer is a FROM Software Zelda.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

I said come in! posted:

Ugh, no. Zelda is it's own thing that is nothing like Elder Scrolls. They are two completely different genre's. Elder Scrolls is an RPG, Zelda is a action adventure game.

Really, I just think the one thing Bethesda does well is create interesting overworlds, and Zelda is at its weakest when you're walking through some boring-rear end, lifeless hub. But the only Zelda games I really liked were Oracle of Seasons and Majora's Mask, so maybe I'm wrong.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I am Reverend posted:

Really, I just think the one thing Bethesda does well is create interesting overworlds, and Zelda is at its weakest when you're walking through some boring-rear end, lifeless hub. But the only Zelda games I really liked were Oracle of Seasons and Majora's Mask, so maybe I'm wrong.

You're wrong and you do not like Zelda.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
FROM should just make a spiritual successor to Zelda. All they'd have to do is water down DS combat a bit and go completely 180 on all other aspects of the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zenintrude posted:

You're wrong and you do not like Zelda.

Honestly I really don't. I just like A Link to the Past. Most of the Zelda games were overhyped, especially the N64 ones, and honestly not that good.

Safety Scissors posted:

FROM should just make a spiritual successor to Zelda. All they'd have to do is water down DS combat a bit and go completely 180 on all other aspects of the game.

If you water down the Dark Souls combat you pretty much lose everything that made Dark Souls good.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah I think some of you just don't like Zelda games frankly. SS was a weak Zelda, but it was still a pretty good game.

E: I know how to save the Zelda Franchise! I will make it a completely different game!

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 9, 2013

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Yeah I think some of you just don't like Zelda games frankly. SS was a weak Zelda, but it was still a pretty good game.

So how many Zelda games does someone have to like before it's accepted that they actually like the series? And why is it seemingly accepted wisdom now that the dungeons were always the best and only reason to play the games?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

If we're going to play the whole company who should make a Zelda game, yet will never ever make a Zelda game... er... game, then it has to be Team ICO. They understand exploration, they understand desolate world building, and they understand underpowered, youthful protagonists on ambiguous quests to save female characters.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

sethsez posted:

So how many Zelda games does someone have to like before it's accepted that they actually like the series? And why is it seemingly accepted wisdom now that the dungeons were always the best and only reason to play the games?

4, and obviously in the Zelda fan website.

Saying "I wish Zelda was less about dungeons and more about (other gameplay thing)" is a legit criticism of SS that I'm not trying to downplay. What I'm saying is "You know what would make zelda better? If I played a different game" doesn't really mean anything. Everybody is acting like the franchise is dead and its 100% not dead.

Also team ICO would make the most majestic artistic Zelda ever and now I want it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I am Reverend posted:

It'd be cool if they farmed it out to someone who can actually make interesting and lively overworlds, you're right. That's not Bethesda. Oblivion and Skyrim are as dead or deader than the 3D Zeldas.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Zelda with Dark Souls style combat but a traditional Zelda aesthetic could be interesting. Not that there's any chance of that happening but it would be a cool game. The exploration style of Ocarina of Time and Dark Souls already have quite some similarity (in fact you could argue that OoT is probably the most influential game in the eventual creation of Dark Souls).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

zenintrude posted:

If we're going to play the whole company who should make a Zelda game, yet will never ever make a Zelda game... er... game, then it has to be Team ICO. They understand exploration, they understand desolate world building, and they understand underpowered, youthful protagonists on ambiguous quests to save female characters.

If only they understood how to finish a game. :smith:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jet Set Jettison posted:

This is like saying if people don't like Other M then they don't like Metroid. SS was a bad game - unreliable controls, lovely dungeon items, a sidekick even MORE annoying than Navi, an overworld that made Wind Waker's ocean packed with content by comparison, recycled dungeons and bosses, and a villian even dumber than Zant from TP.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Also team ICO would make the most majestic artistic Zelda ever and now I want it.

It would be announced for the Wii U and then come out a couple Nintendo consoles later or not at all depending on how the Wii U plays out. :v:

Team Ico hasn't put out a game since the middle of the PlayStation 2 life cycle.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Midee posted:

But do you actually like their consoles or just the Nintendo brand? If it were, say, Sony hardware and didn't have the Nintendo franchises on it, would you still enjoy the console?

I have liked Nintendo consoles. I liked my NES. I'd let my friend borrow it so I could borrow his Master System, which I liked, but not enough to actually buy one myself.

I still plug in my SNES and play some old games once in a while. One thing I like about it is that it is still working, reliably.

My N64 I mostly loved just because it could play Mario 64. 4 player Goldeneye without the need for a multi-tap kind of thing was pretty great as well though. And it was a solid, reliable piece of kit as well.

From the Gamecube on, I have liked the hardware that Nintendo released more and more. I would have liked to have been able to play dvd's on the cube, but poo poo, I had an xbox and ps2 anyways.
Which reminds me: yes, I had a playstation. Resident Evil was the first game I got with that. I was pretty impressed. I enjoyed that game a lot. And Need For Speed was a lot of fun as well. Tobal No. 1, Crash Bandicoot, Jumping Flash - games I had lots of fun with. But it wasn't very many years until I was cursing the cheaply built loving console that I was using to play those fun games. I think my big fat ps2 was a bit more sturdy and reliable, but it bit the dust too. The little slim ps2 I replaced it with, finally, in 2006 is still working.

Frankly, after replacing my ps1 a couple of times, and my ps2 once, I have little desire to buy a ps3. I probably will when they actually get cheap, because there are a few games that I would like to play on it. But I'm not paying the current prices for one.
I wouldn't have a 360 if my son hadn't received one as a gift in, 2010 I think. I have my original XBOX, which is now fully modded and has a big fat hard drive in it. It still works, but I really don't feel like it's some reliable workhorse or something. It certainly doesn't have the original disc drive in it.

I like my Wii so much that, after waiting a couple of years to actually get one, I decided it would be stupid of me to wait years on getting a Wii U. I love my Wii U. My Wii still works great, is soft-modded, and still gets used to this day. My Wii U gets more use at this point though.

It'd be impossible for me to calculate how much playtime my Nintendo handhelds have seen over the years. I never had a gameboy, and someone stole my gameboy color. I traded in my original GBA on an SP, which still works and sees use to this day. My phat DS, which is the only other console I ever bought on launch day, still works and is used. I love it.
The Game Gear I bought a long time ago is pretty much crap.
My Nintendo consoles were never bleeding edge tech monsters, even when they were new - but they are great gaming machines that still work today. They are a pleasure to own and use.

TL?, DR?: I've tried plenty of consoles, even ones that were, as you asked, sony hardware with no nintendo games. I have liked some things about them, but generally I have only liked the games that I played on that hardware, and not the hardware itself.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Honestly I really don't. I just like A Link to the Past. Most of the Zelda games were overhyped, especially the N64 ones, and honestly not that good.

Yeah, this is honestly it. The Zelda games are reliable in a sense that you almost always know what you're getting when you buy one and if that appeals to you then great, but it's virtually never interesting or unique in any way apart from a divergence in art assets and designs. That's what makes Majora's Mask so good in comparison to its 3D brothers, there's an actual change in how the game operates at the most core mechanics and takes risks with gameplay (which is pretty funny considering the world elements are the most recycled in the Zelda series), while the other games get lost in this giant fog of poor pacing, mechanics recycling, boring overworld design and frankly having their collective head jammed up the series mythology's rear end. You're left witht hese brief flashes of really fun gameplay when you come across a dungeon that doesn't suck to play through and has great art direction. Also AR codes improve Zelda games enormously.

For real, stack up any given Zelda game apart from MM next to Okami and the cracks in the series start to show really crack. Okami is just better at everything and I love it to pieces, so I don't tell me I hate Zelda style games.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

This is like saying if people don't like Other M then they don't like Metroid. SS was a bad game - unreliable controls, lovely dungeon items, a sidekick even MORE annoying than Navi, an overworld that made Wind Waker's ocean packed with content by comparison, recycled dungeons and bosses, and a villian even dumber than Zant from TP.

Well think about it this way:

If Other M was not part of a franchise with a long history would it still be a bad game? Yes. lovely gameplay, terrible main character who apparently is fine fighting the big bad once but the third time she does she shits herself, THE BABY and so on.

If Skyward Sword was not part of a franchise with a long history would it still be a bad game? I'd argue no. If it wasn't compared to everyones favorite Zelda, it would have been a solid B+. Since some people can't figure out waggle technology, it had more odds stacked against it.

I'm probably in the minority of people who played SS, but I don't think it was that bad of a game. It was a decent game, but there are better games in the franchise.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Sweetgrass posted:

Yeah, this is honestly it. The Zelda games are reliable in a sense that you almost always know what you're getting when you buy one and if that appeals to you then great, but it's virtually never interesting or unique in any way apart from a divergence in art assets and designs. That's what makes Majora's Mask so good in comparison to its 3D brothers, there's an actual change in how the game operates at the most core mechanics and takes risks with gameplay (which is pretty funny considering the world elements are the most recycled in the Zelda series), while the other games get lost in this giant fog of poor pacing, mechanics recycling, boring overworld design and frankly having their collective head jammed up the series mythology's rear end. You're left witht hese brief flashes of really fun gameplay when you come across a dungeon that doesn't suck to play through and has great art direction. Also AR codes improve Zelda games enormously.

For real, stack up any given Zelda game apart from MM next to Okami and the cracks in the series start to show really crack. Okami is just better at everything and I love it to pieces, so I don't tell me I hate Zelda style games.

Okami's nice and all but for every Zelda issue it solves it introduces another.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Well think about it this way:

If Other M was not part of a franchise with a long history would it still be a bad game? Yes. lovely gameplay, terrible main character who apparently is fine fighting the big bad once but the third time she does she shits herself, THE BABY and so on.

If Skyward Sword was not part of a franchise with a long history would it still be a bad game? I'd argue no. If it wasn't compared to everyones favorite Zelda, it would have been a solid B+. Since some people can't figure out waggle technology, it had more odds stacked against it.

I'm probably in the minority of people who played SS, but I don't think it was that bad of a game. It was a decent game, but there are better games in the franchise.

I actually like Skyward Sword but the player's relationship with the controls shouldn't be adversarial and they sure as hell were in that game. That's a pretty major problem that would rightfully be a deal-breaker for a lot of people even if the rest of the game was flawless, which it definitely wasn't.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 9, 2013

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

CapnAndy posted:

I will bet you money right now it's going to get slaughtered. GTA V is going to beat it around, and then it's going to get simply buried underneath the next-gen tidal wave.

I'm interested to know how big a tidal wave the next gen stuff is really going to be. There isn't really that much to be excited about on the new systems this year. A bunch of ports of current gen games and then even more first person shooters.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I'd still argue yes. All of the problems I listed with SS would still exist even if you slapped another skin over the Zelda one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

whaley posted:

I'm interested to know how big a tidal wave the next gen stuff is really going to be. There isn't really that much to be excited about on the new systems this year. A bunch of ports of current gen games and then even more first person shooters.

Yeah this is why i'm not getting a PS4 right away. Next-gen has a lot of promise of bringing some new stuff to the table, but this first year is going to be pretty underwhelming, just like it is every new generation. Any next-gen games I want this fall I can just get for Windows. Don't need to spend $400 to do it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

I'd still argue yes. All of the problems I listed with SS would still exist even if you slapped another skin over the Zelda one.

Fi was terrible, and the sky was empty as poo poo.
I'm a huge weirdo and I really enjoyed retracing old zones to find new stuff. Also I had zero issues with the waggle.

The villian wasn't THAT bad. The final reveal about him being a sword like Fi was cool.

Not every game is for everybody v:shobon:v

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jet Set Jettison posted:

The villian wasn't THAT bad.

"I should've got you last time, and i'd LOVE to get you this time, but i'll get you neeeext tiiiiiiiiiime!" - Ghirahim

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Jet Set Jettison posted:

People keep clamoring for a more realistic Zelda or a darker Zelda, implying that either would make the series more mature (as in being games more befitting to the series' aging fanbase) but I'd argue that a Zelda game with Ico's (and SotC's) more ethereal and ambiguous plots would do a better job. If nothing else, it would bring Zelda back to its roots wherein you are simply a boy on a quest with very little information as to who or where you are and what you're supposed to be accomplishing... with that in mind, compare Zelda 1 to Ico and you'll see how similar they are in tone.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Let's not beat around the bush here. If Nintendo really wants to innovate, capture core and casual audiences, all while producing the polished, AAA HD gaming experience this generation promises, they need to start farming out some of their core franchises to Grasshopper.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Polo-Rican posted:

Sorry everyone, the correct answer is a FROM Software Zelda.

FROM software Zelda you say? Ya, they only published it but it still counts :colbert:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

FROM software Zelda you say? Ya, they only published it but it still counts :colbert:
3D Dot Game Heroes is actually a really good game that I'd forgotten all about. If you like old school RPGs you are doing yourself a disservice not playing it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

"I should've got you last time, and i'd LOVE to get you this time, but i'll get you neeeext tiiiiiiiiiime!" - Ghirahim

Hey at least he was openly a weirdo. Zant was all ominous and scary until you actually fight him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

zenintrude posted:

Nintendo's games are tight as hell, Bethesda constantly craps out sloppy messes... seems like a perfect fit for me! :v:

You'll definitely feel Skyrim's influence in the next round of big budget Japanese games. Many Japanese developers have gone on record to not only say that Skyrim was their game of the year but also a game changer for how they design games. These developers include Naoki Yoshida, Akihiro Hino, and Yosuke Saito. Nintendo's Monolith Soft has also said they want to emulate Besthesda Softworks in the games it makes for next gen.

We've seen an increasing amount of linear games transition into an open world design, such as Metal Gear Solid V, Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3, Dead Rising 3, and Mirror's Edge 2. Skyrim's influence can certainly be felt for the Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3. It probably has to do with Skyrim being a single-player game that managed to beat the used game market and sell over ten million copies.

Zelda games have gotten more and more expensive to make over time but their sales have stagnated over the years since the Ocarina of Time zenith. It's popularity has gotten more regional in that it is much less popular in Japan than it is in the West. This is a concern for Nintendo because they like their games being especially successful in Japan. The Metroid reboot with Metroid: Other M was geared toward Japanese audiences since the series was much more popular in the West than it was in Japan.

Nintendo has tried different artstyles and control methods over the years to win back Japanese consumers but they haven't been successful in maintaining the series popularity, especially on consoles. It's gotten to a point where Call of Duty (published in Japan by Square-Enix of all people) sold more than Skyward Sword in Japan back in 2011.

The biggest success stories for Zelda, especially in the West, have been Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and the OoT 3DS port (which was a license to print money). Twilight Princess was an attempt to go for OoT fans after Wind Waker faced a backlash due to its art style and game design. TP even had an Old West/Cowboy and Indians theme going on in its world design.

We'll probably see big changes in how Nintendo designs Zelda for consoles, how long it develops them, and targets its demographics. Nintendo can't afford to allow Zelda to have a lengthy development period again while their core gamer demographic faces lengthy droughts in software releases. I think they might target a broader demographic for 3DS Zelda games but tailor the console game to Western audiences. Or, they might pull a New Super Mario Bros. and go back to the basics. We'll probably see what they do with the game at e3 2014.

• Locked thread