Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I only read this thread at work during office hours, so a quick sum-up:

-ICQ 7872176. Still not exploited or stolen, but I haven't used it in like 15 years.

-We have about 130 Optiplex 790. Have replaced PSU on somewhere around 5 of them, otherwise they seem rock solid. The 7010 seems pretty good too.

-SAN came back up again. It contains the storage for several of our document management systems. If the fileserver was brought back up it wouldn't connect to the SAN, and if the SAN was connected to the server, the server wouldn't come up. I don't have the exact details, as the server/storage "team" handle that sort of thing. They tend to let embarrassing poo poo slip through the cracks such as servers dropping out of the domain, full server disks etc. They refuse to use simple monitoring software such as PDQ inventory or Lansweeper or similar, as we will be on a Microsoft SCCM/SCOM platform in just a few weeks. Those few weeks have been coming for the last four years as far as I know.

-As for our software deployment where the test environment will become production, it's all done by external consultants. We're a tiny IT department, and I work in a mixed 1st/2nd line/trainer/coordinator role, so no matter how bad it fails, I'm in the clear. All I have to do is babysit some users and their computers during the deployment to check for error messages and make sure nothing blows up. Our last deployment of this software failed because of our rotten XP environment and the software needing a weird mix of Windows Updates, but this time we're on a much more solid Windows 7 platform. I get travel money, overtime and pizza for it while watching progress bars and surfing forums, so I couldn't be happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I almost feel bad, I'm going to be doing a mailbox store soon. I'm at the stage where I'm only planning it in my head, so far I'm considering if I give my users a 25mb or 50mb mailbox limit.

I guess I ought to raise the limit for senior management but if they have never known any different perhaps it's best to start off with tiny limits.

It won't be local so I'm not having anyone pull down masses of data over the WAN! :argh:

Ghost Mutt
May 10, 2009
Looking through some DNS entries and uh...what

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Ghost Mutt posted:

Looking through some DNS entries and uh...what

Go on, ping it. :v:

I've been trying to wrangle a ZendTo server into working, and I feel like running in molasses. Anyone know of another solution to sending large files and/or folders in and out of the company? Preferably Windows-based, but beggars can't be choosers.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Nothing makes you think YotJ than an email where your manager expresses his disappointment at the transposition of two digits on a new hire's phone # in AD. Because there is nothing less than catastrophic about the business-critical production-affecting failure where 321 should have been 123!

There were no less than five total basic grammar and spelling errors in the email and he is a native English speaker

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MJP posted:

Nothing makes you think YotJ than an email where your manager expresses his disappointment at the transposition of two digits on a new hire's phone # in AD. Because there is nothing less than catastrophic about the business-critical production-affecting failure where 321 should have been 123!

There were no less than five total basic grammar and spelling errors in the email and he is a native English speaker

Express disappointment at the transposition of letters in his email :v:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So YOTJ update:

So the middle of last week I went for the in person interview and I thought it went really well. We talked about the job responsibilities, pay, benefits, vacation time and even introduced me to a few of the office staff. He said he would call me back when the job offer was approved by the CEO.

Turns out he was lying through his teeth at me. I have a friend who worked with him in the past and they were talking about the position he was hiring for this weekend. My friend knew I had applied for the company and let me know what happened this morning. Apparently the guy is paranoid about having to deal with people in a negative light so he led me on to think I had the job instead of telling me the position was already filled by a guy that he was paying 10k / year over the advertised wage cap on the job.

I am a bit... angry right now.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
Jeez man, what did you do in a past life that you're catching so much poo poo in this one?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Walter_Sobchak posted:

Jeez man, what did you do in a past life that you're catching so much poo poo in this one?

Maybe im pre-paying Karma before a lottery win or something.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Crowley posted:

I've been trying to wrangle a ZendTo server into working, and I feel like running in molasses. Anyone know of another solution to sending large files and/or folders in and out of the company? Preferably Windows-based, but beggars can't be choosers.

Crap. I've been looking at ZendTo because it seemed like a really good solution. Let me know if you find another solution to this issue so my users can stop encrypting PDFs with Acrobat and emailing them :smith:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Express disappointment at the transposition of letters in his email :v:

I was giving real thought to one of two paths:

-Granting myself access to his mailbox, correcting the mistakes and re-sending the email and then replying stating that I made corrections and re-sent, and that maybe he should QA his emails to ensure it doesn't happen again
-Forwarding it to his boss, who is a decent guy, with my only comment being "Really?"

It was sent to me while I was out of the office for the Jewish holidays and he was in. Maybe he was jealous of the opportunity to deal with services and a stereotypical Jewish family?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm posting this here because they were originally posted in the last thread. There were these amazing looking patch cables that someone brought up that were supposed to make cable management way easier. I can't find them for the life of me; does anyone know what they were?

I'm going to be doing a ton of cabling in the near future, and I need to put my purchase request in.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

KillHour posted:

I'm posting this here because they were originally posted in the last thread. There were these amazing looking patch cables that someone brought up that were supposed to make cable management way easier. I can't find them for the life of me; does anyone know what they were?

I'm going to be doing a ton of cabling in the near future, and I need to put my purchase request in.

I think your thinking of these:

http://www.platinumtools.com/products/100054.php?cat=4
http://www.platinumtools.com/products/100010.php?cat=5

I picked them up for a job, at the recommendation of someone in thread, a few months ago and they work very well. We ended up having to make a ton of cables because the client, who was paying us hourly, didn't trust prebuilt cables.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 9, 2013

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
All my notes are client facing now Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

All my notes are client facing now Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

:stare: Is that retroactive or just going forward? Either way it's a bad idea but the former would be a nightmare, at least for me.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Kyrosiris posted:

:stare: Is that retroactive or just going forward? Either way it's a bad idea but the former would be a nightmare, at least for me.

All our notes in our ticketing system COULD be viewed by clients, but none of them ever log into the system, but why would you be putting stuff into your ticketing system that you don't want someone to look at? Seems like a Bad Choice.

Also your username is awesome, pretty sure I've had people call Kyocera printers that exactly.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

MF_James posted:

All our notes in our ticketing system COULD be viewed by clients, but none of them ever log into the system, but why would you be putting stuff into your ticketing system that you don't want someone to look at? Seems like a Bad Choice.

Also your username is awesome, pretty sure I've had people call Kyocera printers that exactly.

"This dickhead thinks he is entitled to a higher quota, because he's the CEO. Can you believe this human being?"

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

MJP posted:

bonus points if it was wrong on the paperwork from HR.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My current job isn't amazing, and my boss might even be a bit bipolar or manic depressive ... but gently caress man, I'm always treated decently. First job I've had without insane overreacting superiors. It's incredible how good it's been for my well-being and own personality. Never stressed.

We still have a legacy client we're trying to get rid of (related to my boss). They hilariously explode over every little thing. He happily tells them they're not loving doctors, that their "emergencies" are bullshit.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 9, 2013

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

KillHour posted:

Are you thinking of NeatPatch? They seem pretty interesting, though it's designed for only the use case of putting the patch panel right above the switch (so if you have a Cisco stack, that would get annoying). There were also those patch cables that had a fiber optic strand running through them that lit up at the other end so you could see which one you'd plugged in when working with a bundle, but I think those were ungodly expense.

FakeEdit: PatchSee.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

A brand new user decided she didn't want to walk all the way to the printer that is roughly 10 steps from her desk, so she went into the office of one of the partners who is away on vacation, took their printer and cables, and plugged it in at her desk.

Then she emailed me after hours telling me that her printer was broken and that she wasn't able to work and that I needed to fix it ASAP, cc'ing her manager and my boss.

Monday is going to be amazing.

I know this is from a few pages back. It is Monday and what happened. Was she fired?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Two things, one annoying and one not:

- Our employee review system has a text editor so you can enter notes when you are self-reviewing or reviewing someone who reports to you. One of the font choices in the text editor, Comic Sans. I mentioned this to some of my fellow managers and said who would actually review themselves with Comic Sans. You guessed it, the guy who got fired last year after not meeting his goals for yet another year. :psyboom:

- The group I :yotj: from in January just got hit with a big layoff. I think it was 10% of their department or about a dozen people. Got out of there by the skin of my teeth and loving the new gig at corporate.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A new temp started today, she is working in HR. The HR director filled out the IT request form for her. Of course it wasn't until after I had created all her accounts and she is sitting in orientation that we learn the HR director didn't spell the woman's name correctly on the form. :mad:

Also today I got in some parts ordered off ebay. We have a couple laptops, small tablets used in the clinics. Cost: <$450/ea. I had two with broken lid hinges, sent them in for repair and was quoted ~$200 to fix each one. Balked long enough that they were sent back to me still broken. Decided to just buy some parts on ebay for less than half the repair cost and take a chance. When I got one of the laptops open I discovered that there wasn't actually anything broken; a couple screws that keep the (poorly designed) hinge assembly together had simply disappeared, probably got loose and then unscrewed themselves. They weren't anywhere in the base so :iiam: where they went. I took two screws from one of the replacement parts I bought and swapped them over, bam fixed in 3 seconds. The other laptop was even more infuriating, the screws were still there just needed to be tightened.

So gently caress you Asus, you didn't even open the laptops up to inspect them before quoting me $400 in repair costs, and probably once I gave you the money you wouldn't have admitted you overcharged me either.

At least today being a Monday was balanced out by coming into work and finding a VP bought me a nice tin of tea for saving his rear end on something important last week. :shobon:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

An end user posted:

User reports to be having issues with PC ID: Casemanagement number 3. User reports that its not powering on / off. PC was rebooted issues persisst. AFFECTING PATIENT CARE
Hmm... PC doesn't power on, yet it's been rebooted.

Also, this is yet another PC that dumbshit co-worker replaced without telling anyone that has had a ticket opened because it's not working properly. He's been spending the past couple of months troubleshooting why some of the downtime PC's aren't properly syncing with the server. The other day I remoted into one of the systems he's been having issues with and noticed that, among other things, Windows hadn't even been activated. :thumbsup:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sirotan posted:

The other laptop was even more infuriating, the screws were still there just needed to be tightened.

Locktite is your friend. It will keep this from happening again.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My old boss wanted me to take him to the new HQ so he could see his new office. So we went over and he has one of only two corner offices, and it's a pretty good size. He seemed troubled and said "I don't know if I can make this work."

I'm losing my own office and going into a cubicle so I was curious what was wrong with this lovely space.

Old boss: I don't know where I'll put a couch.
Dick: I'm having trouble identifying with your problem.

He didn't hear me because he's had me almost totally tuned out since day one but the building representative giving the tour laughed.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

I think its time for a drink..

So about 2 or so months ago I had a meeting with everyone involved regarding the status of a website I had developed and was hosting. The only reason I was hosting the site as the guy who ran the old website had a fit he would be losing his massive stipend for "maintaining" the site every month. The hosting on my end was supposed to be a temporary measure until the internal political wrangling was completed. This of course never happened and both sites, the one i designed and the original one, were both being updated independently from each other.

During the meeting I was asked to give them rough costs for running their own hosting and average domain renewal costs and the like and I was left with the impression they were going to host the site on their own services and transfer ownership, which was great. They also promised me back pay for my own expenses.

Come to this weekend when I get a notice that the domain I had originally purchased for them was going to expire in a week.

I sent them an email letting them know the domain was expiring and I hadn't heard back.

I get an email back three hours later saying, and I quote "Oh, we decided in July that you were going to continue to manage the site on your equipment on a volunteer basis"

I sent a message back saying I never agreed to volunteer to manage the site or continue to pay out of pocket.

to which I got the reply "We decided in the meeting you were going to be a volunteer."

So right now I am exporting the site and SQL databases to a USB key. my plan is to mail to the key to them, let the domain expire and fire them.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
A ticket came in... from a customer that called us after their current MSP screwed the pooch.

quote:

They have a PE2800 with 2 failed disks out of a 6 disk RAID 5 array. Work with Dell to figure out if it is recoverable. There are no backups

:negative:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

blackswordca posted:

I think its time for a drink..

So about 2 or so months ago I had a meeting with everyone involved regarding the status of a website I had developed and was hosting. The only reason I was hosting the site as the guy who ran the old website had a fit he would be losing his massive stipend for "maintaining" the site every month. The hosting on my end was supposed to be a temporary measure until the internal political wrangling was completed. This of course never happened and both sites, the one i designed and the original one, were both being updated independently from each other.

During the meeting I was asked to give them rough costs for running their own hosting and average domain renewal costs and the like and I was left with the impression they were going to host the site on their own services and transfer ownership, which was great. They also promised me back pay for my own expenses.

Come to this weekend when I get a notice that the domain I had originally purchased for them was going to expire in a week.

I sent them an email letting them know the domain was expiring and I hadn't heard back.

I get an email back three hours later saying, and I quote "Oh, we decided in July that you were going to continue to manage the site on your equipment on a volunteer basis"

I sent a message back saying I never agreed to volunteer to manage the site or continue to pay out of pocket.

to which I got the reply "We decided in the meeting you were going to be a volunteer."

So right now I am exporting the site and SQL databases to a USB key. my plan is to mail to the key to them, let the domain expire and fire them.

:stare:

How do you maintain your sanity?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

blackswordca posted:

Website fuckery.

Please tell me you have some of this in writing. 'Cause if I were you, I'd be sending them a bill for your time & expenses.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
gently caress exchange. Every time I start trusting the GUI I get burned. NEVER AGAIN YOU oval office. Its powershell or bust. Powershell doesn't lie to me. :smith:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

TWBalls posted:

Please tell me you have some of this in writing. 'Cause if I were you, I'd be sending them a bill for your time & expenses.

I have a contract but from what I can tell its worthless. The personal who signed it apparently has no authority to sign contracts for this organization.

I didn't know this until the meeting a few months ago when I brought up back pay. I was told "Well see what we can do" I have a feeling I wont see a cent of it.

Just to clarify, since that meeting I haven't done any work on the site.

Gunjin posted:

:stare:

How do you maintain your sanity?

To be honest, I don't really know. I just keep fooling myself that "one day it will get better if i work at it."

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 9, 2013

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Sickening posted:

Its powershell or bust. Powershell doesn't lie to me. :smith:

It lied to me about DHCP failover in 2008r2. :( The Powershell cmdlets are there but they literally just don't do anything.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
gently caress SQL EXPRESS WHY DO PEOPLE USE IT IN PRODUCTION?

"wow performance sucks!" NO poo poo
"Wow it keeps crashing!" NO poo poo

Not to mention people always forget 2008r2 has a 10GB limit in DB size. Buy the full version, what is 800 dollars to a +90k environment?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mpyro posted:

I know this is from a few pages back. It is Monday and what happened. Was she fired?

Yeah, they got walked out if the door

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

blackswordca posted:

Are you obliged, legally, to give them the data?

Also, this isn't your employer, right? It's some client company of your employer's company?

Setting this up on your own dime was never a good idea, incidentally. Never ever, no matter what promises of reimbursement they make.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
So when you say "fire them" do you mean your current job, or the client whose site you're hosting?

Also, as fun as it would be, I'd advise against turning it into hello.jpg or anything.

You may not want to let the domain expire, however; renew it but be sure to lock it!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

guppy posted:

Are you obliged, legally, to give them the data?

Also, this isn't your employer, right? It's some client company of your employer's company?

Setting this up on your own dime was never a good idea, incidentally. Never ever, no matter what promises of reimbursement they make.

This was something done for a friend of my Dad's. Nothing to do with my primary job at all.

Volmarias posted:

So when you say "fire them" do you mean your current job, or the client whose site you're hosting?

Also, as fun as it would be, I'd advise against turning it into hello.jpg or anything.

You may not want to let the domain expire, however; renew it but be sure to lock it!

As much as I would like to do that, I wont. Ill either just let the domain expire and leave it where its pointing as it expires in a week or point it to their old site.

As for firing them my current plan is "Here is your site, the domain is available to be renewed again so I don't want you to think I am holding it hostage, you are no longer my client" Since the contract I had previously is evidently invalid, there is nothing I have to worry about.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 9, 2013

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

blackswordca posted:

To be honest, I don't really know. I just keep fooling myself that "one day it will get better if i work at it."
This is right there alongside "Well they don't beat me when they're not drunk.", followed by "They promise they're going to stop drinking!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

blackswordca posted:

This was something done for a friend of my Dad's. Nothing to do with my primary job at all.

Much as I almost always hate it when people do this, it sounds like you would be well within your rights to hold their site hostage until they pay you. People like this don't understand anything other than that or a letter from a lawyer. (Of course, they may lawyer up too, so that's a calculated risk based on how well you know their personality). But I mean, you hosted their site based on an ASSumption you'd get paid, and they said "hey this guy's a rube, he'll just keep hosting it, we don't pay anything, hooray!" Telling you to your face that they decided you'd keep volunteering is basically saying "yeah we think you have no balls, so why don't you roll on over there and we'll maybe throw you a scrap. Maybe." I'd just take the site down, put up a innocuous parking page with ads (hello.jpg etc. would just be bad legally since it might demonstrate malice), and send them an invoice for your hosting fees plus time plus rear end in a top hat tax and inform them they'll get "their" website which YOU developed and they didn't pay for back when you get properly compensated.

Seriously, sometimes you approach underlig levels of Stockholm. Not Corvettedilbert, there's very few who reach that magical level of "please poo poo in my mouth I love it so much", but this is not the time to be polite, it's the time to remind them that business is business and unless they're literally a charity for children with cancer (actually even then), poo poo ain't free.

• Locked thread