Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Take that, sports!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
So do we know yet how badly they've messed it up, if at all? With the changes they hinted at my mind immediately went to Olympic Judo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

the least weasel posted:

So do we know yet how badly they've messed it up, if at all? With the changes they hinted at my mind immediately went to Olympic Judo.

In a hilarious mix-up, professional wrestling is now an Olympic sport.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

In a hilarious mix-up, professional wrestling is now an Olympic sport.

And somehow it turns out to be less corrupt and pre-determined than olympic boxing.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

the least weasel posted:

Rule changes are out and being used in competition.

Biggest ones are cumulative scoring, 2x3 minute rounds, 2 points for the takedown, 7 points for superiority (I think), 5 point throw that puts you ahead on points wins the match, no more compulsory par terre in Greco, new passivity rules.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Pocket Billiards posted:

Rule changes are out and being used in competition.

Biggest ones are cumulative scoring, 2x3 minute rounds, 2 points for the takedown, 7 points for superiority (I think), 5 point throw that puts you ahead on points wins the match, no more compulsory par terre in Greco, new passivity rules.

I'm down with all of these. Total victory throws forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HWwWHQvBvo

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
watching the karelin part of that video is like watching a lion take a gazelle.

So what's the real deal with this whole wrestling thing? I heard on the radio it may have been to push out the previous wrestling commissioner who was blocking changes the IOC's changes and they never actually intended to cancel the sport. Hence why they quickly reinstated it after he resigned.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

So what's the real deal with this whole wrestling thing? I heard on the radio it may have been to push out the previous wrestling commissioner and they never actually intended to cancel the sport.

I don't think it was some kind of intentional long-game ploy to interfere in the politics of FILA. It was a product of the combination of other sports being super motivated (and well-connected -- hello, modern pentathlon) in lobbying for inclusion, and the wrestling establishment's complacency and overconfidence. That said, it's certainly possible that some IOC members were more comfortable not voting for wrestling knowing that its prestige would allow it to get back onto the Olympic ticket relatively easily.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

At about 1 minute mark of that a video, a basic arm drag to a 5 point hip tilt I suppose you would call it is remarkable. Just simple straightforward technique being used at an elite level against the strongest opponents and made to look easy.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm down with all of these. Total victory throws forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HWwWHQvBvo

that was Handy gettin tossed at 2 mins there

e: embedding disabled

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 9, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Pocket Billiards posted:

At about 1 minute mark of that a video, a basic arm drag to a 5 point hip tilt I suppose you would call it is remarkable. Just simple straightforward technique being used at an elite level against the strongest opponents and made to look easy.

I thought his footwork was really remarkable, he was practically standing on the other guy's heel the whole time and never lost contact with his body.

Its so drat predatory when hes locked into the guy's back, I was waiting for him to use his oversized canines to severe the spinal cord.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I thought his footwork was really remarkable, he was practically standing on the other guy's heel the whole time and never lost contact with his body.

Its so drat predatory when hes locked into the guy's back, I was waiting for him to use his oversized canines to severe the spinal cord.

All this Karelin chat is making me think it's time for a new av. Karelin'

e: just need to think of some text

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 9, 2013

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

All this Karelin chat is making me think it's time for a new av. Karelin'

e: just need to think of some text

"I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs."

Edit: Might be the most YLLS quote of all time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

DekeThornton posted:

"I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs."

Edit: Might be the most YLLS quote of all time.

While this is awesome I feel like it's a little arrogant to put as av text, haha.

e: totally applies to me though :colbert:

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
"I train post every day of my life as they have never trained posted a day in theirs."

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gregor Samsa posted:

"I train post every day of my life as they have never trained posted a day in theirs."

Amazing. Thanks.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Amazing. Thanks.

:hfive:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Keenan got his black belt from galvao

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Dangersim posted:

The poo poo's on. Any word on what his first bb competition will be?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

The poo poo's on. Any word on what his first bb competition will be?

No idea, just saw the picture pop up on my facebook feed

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Dangersim posted:

I wonder what Kel's up to

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

henkman posted:

I wonder what Kel's up to

really

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Jordan Burroughs won his third straight world championship today, out scored his opponents 34-3, and has now won 65 straight at the international level.

Jordan Burroughs broke his ankle and had surgery to insert a plate and 5 screw. LESS THAN FOUR WEEKS AGO

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

Jordan Burroughs won his third straight world championship today, out scored his opponents 34-3, and has now won 65 straight at the international level.

Jordan Burroughs broke his ankle and had surgery to insert a plate and 5 screw. LESS THAN FOUR WEEKS AGO

He is going to be a dominant WWE champion for sure

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

He also said that since his surgery he had only wrestled live once before today, and started drilling again just last week. His entire training regimen for the world championships was riding an airdyne. And he still stomped his way to a gold.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

ch3cooh posted:

He also said that since his surgery he had only wrestled live once before today, and started drilling again just last week. His entire training regimen for the world championships was riding an airdyne. And he still stomped his way to a gold.

It's always a little scary when there's one competitor just that far ahead of everyone else

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Hasn't he said he wants to get into mma after the 2016 Olympics.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Dangersim posted:

Hasn't he said he wants to get into mma after the 2016 Olympics.

It says on his wiki that he plans to start MMA in 2017. I can't wait :allears: hopefully he can pick up striking well enough and not be another Brock Lesnar.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If this dude makes half as much money as Lesnar he probably won't care if he washes out of the sport after 8 fights.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
he's built to human proportions and no one but grappling nerds has heard of him. he won't make a quarter as much money as Lesnar

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Anyone know what good BJJ schools there are around Boston/Worcester? I haven't found much on Bullshido or Gracie, though there are like 6 or 7 schools within reasonable driving distance of here.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
It really depends on where you live in the greater Boston area since traffic sucks and you have to make all your decisions based around that. I split my time between a gym in Woburn and a tiny gym in Cambridge.

Worcester has Simmler BJJ and Gonzaga but I've never been out there.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I'm not from that area but I would assume Gonzaga's gym (Gonzaga is a BJJ world champion and long time UFC fighter, as well as a noted cool guy) is pretty legit.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Dangersim posted:

I'm not from that area but I would assume Gonzaga's gym (Gonzaga is a BJJ world champion and long time UFC fighter, as well as a noted cool guy) is pretty legit.

Also, they sometimes host after hours Systema seminars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grJYYGjr7Gw

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Holy crap, I somehow completely missed Gonzaga's place in my search. This place is literally down the street from me. Thanks, guys :)

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Joke's on you, it's actually a Brazilian Wax Spa.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Ahhh, my wrists are hurting vicariously from seeing that guy doing push-ups on his.

On that note, how do you deal with wrist injuries in grappling?

I'm eager to try out BJJ, but I've been unable to do much of anything physical for months now because of a wrist injury sustained in judo. During newaza, which in my school always starts with both people wrestling on their knees (don't know if that's the norm), I was paired up with an enthusiastic and very strong guy who'd never tried any form of martial arts before in his life, and so he grabbed my by the fingers and more or less drove my wrist into the mat while I shamefully pulled guard. I remember thinking "wow, that's an injury" right as it happened, but I was good to go for the remainder of the day. The morning after, and many subsequent mornings, I had to use my left hand to open doors, turn faucets on/off, etc. It's recovered to the point where it doesn't bother me in my everyday life now, but if I press my right hand down sideways, something definitely feels wrong about half an inch underneath my thumb. Would it be fine if I went to a tryout class while having this problem, or should I try waiting it out for longer? It's been almost 4 months already.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Skjorte posted:

Ahhh, my wrists are hurting vicariously from seeing that guy doing push-ups on his.

On that note, how do you deal with wrist injuries in grappling?

I'm eager to try out BJJ, but I've been unable to do much of anything physical for months now because of a wrist injury sustained in judo. During newaza, which in my school always starts with both people wrestling on their knees (don't know if that's the norm), I was paired up with an enthusiastic and very strong guy who'd never tried any form of martial arts before in his life, and so he grabbed my by the fingers and more or less drove my wrist into the mat while I shamefully pulled guard. I remember thinking "wow, that's an injury" right as it happened, but I was good to go for the remainder of the day. The morning after, and many subsequent mornings, I had to use my left hand to open doors, turn faucets on/off, etc. It's recovered to the point where it doesn't bother me in my everyday life now, but if I press my right hand down sideways, something definitely feels wrong about half an inch underneath my thumb. Would it be fine if I went to a tryout class while having this problem, or should I try waiting it out for longer? It's been almost 4 months already.

That's really up to you, if it's that bad a problem don't be afraid to see a doctor. I've hurt my wrist and had it feel fine but hurt in certain positions for months afterwards, but it went away eventually. If it's bothering me I will usually wrap it like I'm boxing which will keep the wrist in place.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Weighed myself for the first time in about 5 months. 234 pounds. FUUUUUUCKKKKK now I have to try and poo poo before I become a giant fat piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Anyone competing in no gi Pans this weekend? I'm not competing but might be there as support crew for the team.